No starfield posts?

LegionAlpha

I remember back in the 90's there was a game called Colony Wars for the PS1, imagine my shock when they announced (by Bethesda and was 25 years in the making) it was after same war within the colonies. My head canon hoped Starfield is a reboot of the game and as far as I am concerned it is.  But more than that I can hopefully choose the path I want, smuggler, pirate, set up my own business of cargo runner and so on. But as all their games I am taking this with a grain of salt because I do not want to be again, disappointed. 

Well here is an full trailer

And a full behind the scenes

This game looks very promising, I like the idea that they wanted to make a game that will last for years. I just hope at some point I can rename some planets so I can make a new 12 colonies that will rival the other factions in the human sector of space.  More so I hope for some aliens to come in as well. 

Edited by LegionAlpha

I never played Colony Wars, so please forgive my first impression.  It looks like a Fallout 4 mod, and sounds like it will make my brand new computer feel obsolete.

That said, it has promise.  I'm curious to see how it develops.

Too bad Bethesda decided to nuke thier game forums a few years back...

I'm very much interested in Starfield.  Exceptionally so.  However, I also was exceptionally interested in Anthem, and everyone can see what happened there.  I'll cautiously watch, and not buying on Day One.  Maybe Day 90, depending on what conditions are like at that time.  Every big game will have big patches needed upon release, it's the managing of it that I'm watching for.

But I've a more immediate problem.  I've a good video card.  Www.systemrequirementslab.com, aka "Can You Run It", says my card can handle 100% minimal requirements and 92% recommended requirements of the games currently released, but the minimum card required for Starfield exceeds mine, and the recommended card significantly so, when a side-by-side benchmark is done.  This could push access to the game back indefinitely, while I save for the next video card, and I'll be shooting for the Recommended level, Starfield's look practically demands this, so it could be a bit.

I'm concerned that it will do ship combat, base building, and the FPS/TPS aspects all OK, instead of any one area exceptionally.  I also feel like the base building will be a lot more restrictive, what with having to worry about keeping things pressurized/environmentally sealed and whatnot...

On 6/21/2023 at 7:09 AM, TheOtherTed said:

I never played Colony Wars, so please forgive my first impression.  It looks like a Fallout 4 mod, and sounds like it will make my brand new computer feel obsolete.

That said, it has promise.  I'm curious to see how it develops.

Too bad Bethesda decided to nuke thier game forums a few years back...

It's more like your Vault Dweller snuck up and molested your NMS character and this was the result. But when it was hatched, it was gimped (radiation exposure?) in places like being able to smoothly transition from planet to orbit. It'll surely be fun to play, but What kind of crappy optimization have they performed so that an XBsX is limited to 30 FPS?!? It's Bethesda, we EXPECT crap to happen, so give us the option to Let it happen (so that we can get our smoother frames)!

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

18 hours ago, biostem said:

I also feel like the base building will be a lot more restrictive, what with having to worry about keeping things pressurized/environmentally sealed and whatnot...

Well, yes, we'll not be building the Victorian "gingerbread" look with the big wrap-around porch and backyard BBQ pit area.  That is, unless the pressurized bubble is huge.

EDIT:  That suddenly reminds me...I wonder what the maximum piece count will be for base building.  That was one of the frustrating aspects of building in NMS: both a single base limited piece count, and a character max piece count.  I remember spending a lot of time having to constantly redo a base because of these.

Edited by Techwright
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, honoroit said:

it looks like serious no mans sky.  i hope its good.

Agreed, however, I understand that Starfield will focus on 100 star systems with 1000 planets, a comparative few, and greatly expand the possibilities planetside, while No Man's Sky focuses on the vastness of its galaxies, with trillions of planets and moons, but a minimal amount of variety on the planets.   A microscopic quality focus as opposed to a macroscopic quantity focus.  Unquestionably it will be a competitor to NMS (assuming it is built right.  Anthem still sticks in my craw), but the differences leave room for both games to co-exist.

28 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Agreed, however, I understand that Starfield will focus on 100 star systems with 1000 planets, a comparative few, and greatly expand the possibilities planetside, while No Man's Sky focuses on the vastness of its galaxies, with trillions of planets and moons, but a minimal amount of variety on the planets.   A microscopic quality focus as opposed to a macroscopic quantity focus.  Unquestionably it will be a competitor to NMS (assuming it is built right.  Anthem still sticks in my craw), but the differences leave room for both games to co-exist.

there are at least ~70 solar system in No Mans sky where EVERYTHING is named prompto. planets, station, plants, animals... i wonder if anyone passed them over the years.

spacer.png

(popular marvel super hero - thor)

4 hours ago, honoroit said:

there are at least ~70 solar system in No Mans sky where EVERYTHING is named prompto. planets, station, plants, animals... i wonder if anyone passed them over the years.

Some of that stuff resets over time, does it not?  And from what I recall some of the other stuff multiple people can name and it will accept each one, because the name is specific to the account. 

3 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Some of that stuff resets over time, does it not?  And from what I recall some of the other stuff multiple people can name and it will accept each one, because the name is specific to the account. 

well curses!

id thought it was who discovered it first, and although massive in scale, in play youd certainly did come across names that stuck from other players past escapades.

maybe the changed it, its been a time.

On 6/23/2023 at 5:44 PM, biostem said:

I wonder if you'll have to worry about being in your base, in plain clothes, get attacked, then have to rush to don your spacesuit before said base depressurizes...

Not likely, if they find transitioning into atmosphere challenging, then I doubt they'll bother with realism like that.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

2 hours ago, honoroit said:

id thought it was who discovered it first

I'm pretty sure that's how it started, but IDK what's changed over time TBH as I've gone long stretches between playing because of other stuff.

23 minutes ago, honoroit said:

well curses!

id thought it was who discovered it first, and although massive in scale, in play youd certainly did come across names that stuck from other players past escapades.

maybe the changed it, its been a time.

I'd thought the same thing when I first signed up.  It was a tremendous disappointment to learn that we only had "X" number of spaces for naming and that past that point, it would start overwriting previous stuff.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

I'd thought the same thing when I first signed up.  It was a tremendous disappointment to learn that we only had "X" number of spaces for naming and that past that point, it would start overwriting previous stuff.

my trade route stayed for the duration I played, maybe there's still a little pocket prompto.

I'm taking time off to play this at launch, something I haven't done in years. Bethesda games always have a...hiccup or twelve at launch, but aren't as bad as the internet makes them out to be. I've been a Bethesda fan since Daggerfall (Fallout 76 at launch hurt a bit) and am super jazzed for Starfield!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

• 2 weeks later

Sooo...  apparently I was one of many would-be players to discover that Starfield will be a single-player game, and NOT a co-op game like we first believed. A report that I read stated that some earlier Bethesda comments on the game were poorly handled leading to the misunderstanding. Considering it is 1000+ planets to explore (and that they are denser in creation than No Man's Sky planets), as well as other details like creative base building, I'm kind of disappointed there's not some sort of cooperative play. 

Edited by Techwright

I am sure someone will come up with a mod that will allow people to do co-op. They did it for Skyrim. For me, I played Eve online just to play Pink Floyd "Shine on you crazy Diamonds" on repeat to just float there knowing I would never see another player. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later
  • 1 month later

Playing it now, kinda like Fallout meets Mass Effect.  Started playing at 5:30pm yesterday and finally logged off at 4am Friday when I happened to look at a clock :classic_ohmy:

The gameplay is fun, worlds are huge, lots of walking.  Would be nice to have a buggy or bike to tool around in for sure.  For those wondering on system requirements, I am playing it on a refurbished Dell i5-10500 with 32GB ram, 2 x 1GB M.2 drives and a nvidia GTX 1650, pretty low end for modern day gaming.  Granted I am running on Low graphic settings but gameplay is smooth and I have only encountered one crash (during a transition to outside) in 12 hrs.  Pretty remarkable for a Bethesda game tbh.

Edited by Apogee

37 minutes ago, Apogee said:

Playing it now, kinda like Fallout meets Mass Effect.  Started playing at 5:30pm yesterday and finally logged off at 4am Friday when I happened to look at a clock :classic_ohmy:

The gameplay is fun, worlds are huge, lots of walking.  Would be nice to have a buggy or bike to tool around in for sure.  For those wondering on system requirements, I am playing it on a refurbished Dell i5-10500 with 32GB ram, 2 x 1GB M.2 drives and a nvidia GTX 1650, pretty low end for modern day gaming.  Granted I am running on Low graphic settings but gameplay is smooth and I have only encountered one crash (during a transition to outside) in 12 hrs.  Pretty remarkable for a Bethesda game tbh.

What's the dedicated video RAM on your nVidia?  I'm going to guess 8 gigs.  I think this is where it is going to be a problem for many.  There's a lot of otherwise-solid video cards out there that were bought with 6 gig VRAM, mine included (just a year ago), but the game's minimum is 8 gigs. 

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

What's the dedicated video RAM on your nVidia?  I'm going to guess 8 gigs.  I think this is where it is going to be a problem for many.  There's a lot of otherwise-solid video cards out there that were bought with 6 gig VRAM, mine included (just a year ago), but the game's minimum is 8 gigs. 

Actually, my card has only 4GB.  In my experience, minimum requirements still have some wiggle room.

imma wait to try it free on gamepass, but have to admit its been burning a hole in my pocket to get it over the long weekend...

but i picked up darktide on steam instead on sale... as theyre reworking the classes in october, AND... there were some danger level problems in many starfield reviews:

1/ bad story - i am not enough of a space fan to excuse terrible writing quality in narrative

2/ it resembles no mans sky - but with less ability to explore

i really like fallout and elder scrolls (moreso fallout) - there's an ambience in particularly new vegas I love.

for me, thats entirely absent in starfield.

good luck to those who dive in!  maybe I'll fall in love with it on the 6th.