How much Accuracy? (Or, I hate to miss!)

Mack008

So how much Accuracy (and To Hit) is considered enough to reliably hit level 50+ content?

I've got a Blaster right now who's running:

+44% To Hit (combo of Targeting Drone and Tactics)

+80% Accuracy (from a number of set bonuses)

~45% Accuracy in each attack power (from IO sets)

I feel like I've overdone it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2023 at 1:17 PM, Mack008 said:

So how much Accuracy (and To Hit) is considered enough to reliably hit level 50+ content?

You have slightly overdone it lol.  UNLESS you are running a lot of +4 content, level 50 Master TFs, and Incarnate badge runs.  Then that amount is "healthy"

My strategy is to remove accuracy until I notice I’m starting to miss, but after damage is effectively maxed, put in as much accuracy or to hit as you want.  In particular, note if you have some/any -to hit resistance.  I’ll often run Focused Accuracy (with maxed endurance reduction) just to avoid seeing my to hit drop into the red against foes like Circle.

You’re still going to miss 5% of the time, and that’s the injustice of it all!

• Like 1

Who run Bartertown?

On 9/16/2023 at 4:17 PM, Mack008 said:

Def overkill. I mean, it doesn't hurt because there are plenty of critters that have extra defense and/or tohit debuffs, but you could safely switch to other IO sets without too much worry. Or drop Tactics for something else.

Against +3s (choosing +3s assuming fighting +4s with a +1 alpha shift) you have

tohit  = (.48 + .44)

acc = (1 + .8 + .45)

so an unadjusted to-hit of 207%.  (Quick, someone give me a "well akshully" that it's capped at 95%)

Mids will give you an adjusted (and unadjusted) final to-hit based on the level difference you select.  As mentioned previously though if you are doing hard mode tfs, those numbers change.  4*s get +30 def, so with your current slotting that becomes 

(.48 + .44 - .3) * 2.25 still > .95.

I find global accuracy is a bonus that comes along the way while chasing a bonus I'm pursuing so I never chase global acc.  If you are, you may want to consider other alternatives.

I am still trying to figure out how that CRT is able to sit as far back on that PC as it is without falling in its own right.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

I hope with all that acc and to hit buff you are proc monstering some powers in your arsenal.

image.thumb.png.a9566199bc01e89f4f8ce753024b9e56.png

With half the to-hit and about 1/3 of the ACC bonuses of your build, I still have more than enough accuracy to hit +4 enemies while still being able to proc out a lot of my attacks.

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!

On 9/25/2023 at 11:30 AM, High_Beam said:

I am still trying to figure out how that CRT is able to sit as far back on that PC as it is without falling in its own right.

Most of the weight in a CRT monitor is due to the glass, and the majority of that is in the front half.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

37 minutes ago, Luminara said:

Most of the weight in a CRT monitor is due to the glass, and the majority of that is in the front half.

Oh I know, but it still seems way too far back still.  My chief would have kicked my ass if I let that freaking monitor sit like that on the Zenith 286's the Navy bought in 88'.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

Probably most of the time ... until Hardmode vs some foes or when a Paragon Protector hits MoG or Elude or Cimerorans start stacking defenses or, or.  Personally when it comes to hitting stuff I'd like to smack stuff with overkill.  Ya know so I can still hit the PP in MoG while debuffed by a swarm of CoT Spectrals kind of overkill.  But as Nemu points out adding a few extra procs in the build might be good too while keeping the damage up.

7 hours ago, arcane said:

Believe it or not, things with a 5% chance to happen… happen all the time…

Damn right they do. Four or five attacks in a row, on characters with incredible amounts of accuracy and to hit bonus (and build up, and a build up proc). This is why it has been called the *evil* RNG for over 40 years. (Well, ok, in the early days we usually abbreviated it to +RNG, but you young whippersnappers would likely have no idea what that means... kids these days.) Had Arcanaville not put a helluva lot of work into verifying the randlib CoH uses actually produces halfway decent random numbers, I'd wonder.

In the end, RNGesus giveth and taketh away, to (mis)quote another common gamer saying.  Just leave us to our mumbling about uphill both ways and shaking our fists at the skies. One reason I overbuild for mitigation and don't worry as much about the damage cap, all yer gonna do is miss anyway. :classic_dry:

Edited by TheHunterJLJ
added in build up

Limiting my already guarded posting both here & discord. Just too toxic for my tastes, & the mods do not seem to care.

https://cit.cohtitan.com/profile/3066

I really HATE missing attacks. Beyond having ToHit and Accuracy, the only thing I find that assuages the bad feels around RNG are multiple, large (area, number of targets) AoE attacks. The 'flat' RNG is absolutely going to bite, so I may as well be hitting something.

My personal favorite (internal) manifestation of perception bias w.r.t. ToHit/RNG: it ends up that every missed followup single-target attack against a critter in a spawn also wasn't hit by the opening AoE. This results in a verbal "oh FF". That is: in order to miss the second attack against a critter, I have to miss the first attack. Not a deep thought, but one I often have.