Winter Event 2023

Groovy_Ghoul

On 12/1/2023 at 3:44 PM, DougGraves said:

I would love to see a link to where there is an official first day of winter.

Seasons are just common usage.  Officially there are years, months, and days - but there are no official seasons.  At least as far as I know of.

(blink blink)  Excuse me???  There are most certainly official seasons and each one starts on a specific day (which can move around slightly from year to year).

We have the vernal equinox, summer solstice, autumnal equinox and winter solstice.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 12/1/2023 at 11:44 AM, DougGraves said:

I would love to see a link to where there is an official first day of winter.

Here's when the seasons officially start and end according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a department of the U.S. Federal Government. That makes it official.

https://www.noaa.gov/education/resource-collections/climate/changing-seasons

• Thanks 2

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

14 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

Here's when the seasons officially start and end according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a department of the U.S. Federal Government. That makes it official.

Science!

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

14 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

bb852446c77c818b8d7a6a1b32408efb.jpg.b2da510fb974b0e2f77cb747ebf82487.jpg

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto, you're beautiful!"

• Haha 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 11/30/2023 at 4:06 PM, GM Crumpet said:

The official first day of winter is 23rd December......

Meanwhile, in Rhode Island home of Paragon City ...

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=41.48871294000003&lon=-71.45431946699995

Tonight 12/4

A slight chance of showers before 1am. Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 32. Northwest wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tuesday

Increasing clouds, with a high near 43. North wind 6 to 10 mph.

Tuesday Night

A chance of snow, mainly after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. North wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Wednesday

A chance of snow before 11am, then a chance of rain between 11am and 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Wednesday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 23. North wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

But I guess it is still "little to no snow accumulation," but brrrrrr

• Thumbs Up 2

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 12/2/2023 at 5:42 AM, victusfate said:

anyone know if we can earn those rare winter enhancements from the event?

If you mean from the Lords of Winter card packs, no.

If I remember correctly, you can buy all the Lords of Winter card pack enhancements through the merit vendors.

There are a few "winter" enhancements that you can buy recipes(?) for through the candy cane vendor. I think that's only the universal travel power ones though.

• Thanks 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 12/1/2023 at 10:23 AM, High_Beam said:

And of course my no agility having ass still needs to get the gold medals or my badger in the chalet

The chalet is open year-round...useful for spending all those Candy Canes.  I mostly use them on Light of Renewal (20 Canes per 8 days from the Candy Keeper), which has a separate cooldown from Renewal of Light / Return to Battle (from the P2W Vendor).  It occasionally comes in handy with a squishy character.

After the revamp to Hover, I was able to get all the ski badges with just Flight + Hover (or Mystic Flight + Hover) after a few practice runs on each course.

I have three badges that are "buy at the chalet only" badges but don't show up on the buy list (I have 500 canes).  DO they only appear when the event is for real live like the anniversary badges from Luna or is there something up.  I mean its Christmas Theo, it's a time for miracles.

• Haha 1

I'm wondering if we need to start separate Winter Event Ethics thread.

People are popping presents and leaving the spawns behind.

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

People are popping presents and leaving the spawns behind.

This was happening back on Live, too. Part of it was that the spawns matched the level range of the entire zone, so that if you were level 10 or 11 and clicked on a present in the south end of Steel Canyon, you could get level 17 snowmen, and part of it was just laziness — click on the present, then dash off to the next;someone else can take care of any spawn. I always made a point of clearing spawns, including any runners, in order to speed respawn of the presents, but that's a personal choice.

Just like it being 5 PM somewhere, they are Purple to someone.  Back on live (and I have seen here too) during these events there were often individuals or even teams that would go around cleaning up spawns.

Who you gonna call?  Snow Busters!

Last night I was smashing Snow monsters with my War Mace Brute and that beautiful crunshing mace sound felt so good.  Snow monsters always gets me thinking about the great Calvin and Hobbes cartoons.

snow_monster.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, srmalloy said:

This was happening back on Live, too. Part of it was that the spawns matched the level range of the entire zone, so that if you were level 10 or 11 and clicked on a present in the south end of Steel Canyon, you could get level 17 snowmen, and part of it was just laziness — click on the present, then dash off to the next;someone else can take care of any spawn. I always made a point of clearing spawns, including any runners, in order to speed respawn of the presents, but that's a personal choice.

I think this situation is similar to the afk-ing on leagues and masterminds AKF-ing at Motel 666 during the Halloween event.

When the spawn is left behind, the present can't respawn.

If you cause the mess, you should be responsible for cleaning it up.

And it is not just lazy but unethical (to me at least) to just open presents, dash off without fighting the foes, and leaving it behind for other people to deal with.

And, of course, unethical behavior is always a matter of personal choice. 

28 minutes ago, High_Beam said:

Back on live (and I have seen here too) during these events there were often individuals or even teams that would go around cleaning up spawns.

yep. I was doing it last night.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Saw there was a fresh badge on login (sad to see my beautiful 1600 marred with the addition), any chance there will be patch notes?

Or is there just the badge and not much else to note of the patch? 

Was there?  I logged in on a character I made last winter season and got nothing.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I think this situation is similar to the afk-ing on leagues and masterminds AKF-ing at Motel 666 during the Halloween event.

When the spawn is left behind, the present can't respawn.

That's not true; I've watched presents respawning and the snowmen that were standing around it fall over and despawn, or come across a present with dead snowmen lying around. But it takes longer for the reset to occur than it does if the spawn is cleared (at least from my casual observation; I haven't done detailed timing to be certain).

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Was there?  I logged in on a character I made last winter season and got nothing.

Check your most recent badges.  I logged in three characters last night and NONE of them got a pop-up notification but they all had the badge.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

On 12/3/2023 at 7:46 PM, PeregrineFalcon said:

You will note the link is for "meteorological seasons" and "astronomical seasons".   Which use different definitions and dates.

I absolutely agree that there is a definition for "meteorological seasons" and "astronomical seasons".  There is not a definition for "seasons".

You have to specify which definition you are using.

33 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

That's not true; I've watched presents respawning and the snowmen that were standing around it fall over and despawn, or come across a present with dead snowmen lying around. But it takes longer for the reset to occur than it does if the spawn is cleared

I'll take your word for it.

At the very least, it delays the presents from re-spawning. 

The rewards people are looking for come from the presents and not fighting the snowmen. Maybe it needs to be changed so that the reward isn't given until the mob is defeated.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Maybe it needs to be changed so that the reward isn't given until the mob is defeated.

If you get a 'naughty' result, you get a spawn of snowmen, scaling with the size of the team you're on — that's how you can try to spawn a Winter Lord. If you get a 'nice result, you get a candy cane, a chance for a Present inspiration, and a chance for one of the special rewards — Snowball, a Jingle Jet, Instant Snowstorm, or Build Snow Beast. So you already can't get a reward if the mobs are standing.