Passive Procs and their application

Scarlet Shocker

This question is inspired by the Winter's Gift: Slow Resistance proc which I was able to craft from Candy Canes, and it got me thinking.

My understanding is that this is a passive proc, it gives me that resistance whatever I'm doing whether the power it's slotted in is active or no (it's not yet slotted but I anticipated putting it in Fly at lvl 50 on one of my characters.)

I could be completely wrong about how it functions but that is my understanding. If I am correct then I could theoretically slot it in one of my unused prestige sprint powers, thus giving me the opportunity to put something slightly more useful in Fly (such as a fly speed IO et al)

So I've got at least 7 powers I really don't bother slotting - Brawl, my Prestige Sprints (I only use a couple of those so the others lie fallow) and Rest

Is it therefore possible to slot those with similar procs that might not give a huge benefit, but every little helps and if you can pick one up cheap enough or you have the inf/merits etc...

I'm mostly thinking out loud here but once I've had this thought I needed to get it answered.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

Brawl takes melee damage sets, which has no globals (“passive procs” as you call them). 

The sprints don’t take Universal Travel sets where all the globals are. The sets they do take have procs which only work while the power is toggles on. 

Swift and Hurdle don’t take sets, so nothing useful there. 

Health and Stamina are auto powers, so there are several procs that work, and any global works too. 

The only thing I can think of you might be able to take advantage of (and can’t confirm this from work) would be if Rest took Heal sets, you could put the Preventive Medicine Chance to Absorb in it. I believe that is a global (ie, acts like a set bonus) and doesn’t require you to be using the power to gain its benefits. But honestly I’ve never thought to try it out to confirm one way or the other. 

33 minutes ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Just seems to me I would have seen a build long before now, if you could slot the Absorb in Rest. 

Nope cant slot sets into Rest.  Health and Stamina are where you can put some passive procs and I like Celerity Stealth in Sprint so I can be sneaky when I want.

2 hours ago, ZekeStenzland said:

Just seems to me I would have seen a build long before now, if you could slot the Absorb in Rest. 

Yes that's exactly my thought but I realised it was Universal travel after I posted.

Clearly I have been labouring under a big misapprehension. Thanks for clearing it up

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

"We were at the beach
Everybody had matching towels
Somebody went under a dock
And there they saw a proc
It wasn't a proc
It was a proc monster

proc monster

proc monster!"

• Haha 1

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

15 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

My understanding is that this is a passive proc, it gives me that resistance whatever I'm doing whether the power it's slotted in is active or no

Correct. It's generally best to slot the attuned version so that it works when exemplared.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Invention_Origin_Enhancements#Globals

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Rest doesn't take sets.  I even tried it just to confirm.  Good thought though, but I think the original Devs anticipated this trick and squashed it.  Especially with the prestiege sprints where you could quickly abuse something x 5.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

19 hours ago, ZekeStenzland said:

The only thing I can think of you might be able to take advantage of (and can’t confirm this from work) would be if Rest took Heal sets, you could put the Preventive Medicine Chance to Absorb in it.

I think Rest used to accept sets, briefly, many years ago.

Certainly, it does not now and has not for a long time.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

11 hours ago, Uun said:

Correct. It's generally best to slot the attuned version so that it works when exemplared.

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Invention_Origin_Enhancements#Globals

I try and go for lower level procs to mitigate that. Most procs can be bought with merits at their lowest level, and I *think* I'm right that they work 3 levels below that?

If I catalyse it, will it work down to 10 or zero?

I rarely exemp down. As an altaholic I usually have a lower level option I can bring to a party.

47 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

If I catalyse it, will it work down to 10 or zero?

3 levels below the lowest level the set is available. If you’re bother lowest level anyway, then it doesn’t matter.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

On 12/11/2023 at 3:14 PM, ZekeStenzland said:

As has been pointed out, Rest can't take it.

However, if you take the Sorcery pool, Spirit Ward does take heal sets, so you can just mule Preventive Medicine in Spirit Ward.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Uun said:

3 levels below the lowest level the set is available. If you’re bother lowest level anyway, then it doesn’t matter.

Like I say, unlikely to become serious issue, but thanks! It's cleared up a question in that there's zero point catalysing the lowest possible level proc

Although you were asking about passive procs in powers you got for free…

It occurs to me that if you were a peacebringer or warshade, you get a bunch of travel powers, for free, that other ATs do not. I think they take the same sets as the normal flight, hover, teleport, etc.

You could drop a Scaling Resistance or Global Recharge in the Hover power. Can’t think of anything else useful that would be relevant when you weren’t using the power. 

Of course, you’d have to be a Kheldian. And they are already notoriously strapped for enhancement slots if you plan on using more than one form. 

The odd ball slotting I used recently was Preventative Medicine proc in Vengeance instead of the usual LotG.  And I'm trying out Gaussian's BU proc in Fortitude though I need to spend the time to confirm what I've been told that it fires and buffs the Empath when used on an ally.  Though clearly that's an active use.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:05 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

Clearly I have been labouring under a big misapprehension.

So you are admitting that these are chips now?!

Potato_Chips.650x464.72res.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

• Haha 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 12/11/2023 at 4:54 PM, Scarlet Shocker said:

My understanding is that this is a passive proc, it gives me that resistance whatever I'm doing whether the power it's slotted in is active or no (it's not yet slotted but I anticipated putting it in Fly at lvl 50 on one of my characters.)

I know the stealth one only works if you have the power active, so I'm not sure about the Slow resistance one works if the power isn't on.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

45 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

So you are admitting that these are chips now?!

Potato_Chips.650x464.72res.jpg

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

That is clearly a bowl of potato potpourri.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

44 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I know the stealth one only works if you have the power active, so I'm not sure about the Slow resistance one works if the power isn't on.

The slow resist is a global that's always on (similar to the LOTG +rech). It doesn't need to be in an active power.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be more specific, it [slow resistance] is a global and so works like a set bonus. It’s always in effect regardless of whether you’re using the power it’s slotted in  — or even have the power available — as long as you don’t exemp more than 3 levels below the level of the enhancement. 

I just always have the wiki page open that tells what category the special enhancements are. So I know whether the enhancement needs to be attuned or not based on where I’m slotting it.