NCSOFT & Homecoming License Announcement

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

Just curious:  Does the officially-recognized status allow us to move forward from pages of Issue 27 into a true Issue 28?

IIRC, the splitting of Issues into Pages was more a matter of keeping the content train rolling with a small team than anything else.  (And what's a "true" Issue?)

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

On 1/11/2024 at 1:42 AM, Dr. Strangequirk said:

1)- Will some of the old features be reborn? Such as the drinking of a potion to change a characters gender whilst still keeping all of their design & gear?

I assume you're having fun with us, because Log Horizon is a different game genre anime altogether.

Right now, this only works with ninjas stalkers.

I just want to mention: I just logged onto an utterly bottom-shelf, metastasized-from-Twitter, crybully shitshow; I was going to play some tonight, but I guess not.

I bring this up because it was an example of what I really hope does not become more common with the game opening up.

Granted, it's not as if I'd never seen such a thing before, and there were some of the known bad actors on my shard involved so I'm guessing that's how it started, but what worries me is they'll get stronger, and aforementioned bad actors will look like leaders to noobs with similar opinions, and from there you could get a whole Hobbesian Leviathan that is vastly worse than the sum of its parts.

Social Media culture definitely ruined the MMO enviroment the first time around (the timing was right on the nose, I remember it all too well), and it's taken this long, plus banishment to the Netherworld, to get more-good-than-bad again.

I'm just hoping what I saw remains an aberration; there's already too much of it. I won't name names, but it does make me wish some folks would STFU at long last.

Edited by AspieAnarchy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Moose 1

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

I hate that stuff too, so: report via Support Ticket, maybe add a Player's Note (if you feel like it), block, move on.  They won't get stronger if we don't let 'em.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

4 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I hate that stuff too, so: report via Support Ticket, maybe add a Player's Note (if you feel like it), block, move on.  They won't get stronger if we don't let 'em.

Fair enough; you're right. Maybe I should've done that - OTOH, I really wasn't around long enough to know for certain how it started, and luckily, other people were holding their own against them, so in this case, it's probably right that didn't do that this time.

Edited by AspieAnarchy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

• City Council
4 hours ago, AspieAnarchy said:

I just want to mention: I just logged onto an utterly bottom-shelf, metastasized-from-Twitter, crybully shitshow; I was going to play some tonight, but I guess not.

I bring this up because it was an example of what I really hope does not become more common with the game opening up.

Sorry you experienced this, it's definitely not the environment we seek to foster here.

I'll echo what @Clave Dark 5 said, it's critical that you report these things when you see them. We aren't able to proactively monitor everything all the time, so the GM team does rely on player reports to help make us aware of any issues 🙂

Even if you don't have all the information, the GM team can investigate and put a stop to it if necessary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Right 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

54 minutes ago, Inokis said:

Just a quick question.  Now that the game is an official IP Licensed product again. Is it going to become supported by driver software like Nvidia Geforce Experience?

To my knowledge there has been talk all over the place about this possibly happening but I can't speak for the HC staff on this, or the devs. But I do hope that Nvidia will consider adding the game to the GEforce experience platform registry.

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

I understand that the game will be free an supported by donations, but is there going to be a voluntary subscription or some other kind of funding model now that NCSoft has sanctioned the server?  Honestly, I would love to go back to having all of the veterans rewards without the money sinks of the P2W vendor and would be willing to pay for it.  Just a thought if it is possible.

• Thumbs Down 1

• City Council
29 minutes ago, Psi-bolt said:

I understand that the game will be free an supported by donations, but is there going to be a voluntary subscription or some other kind of funding model now that NCSoft has sanctioned the server?  Honestly, I would love to go back to having all of the veterans rewards without the money sinks of the P2W vendor and would be willing to pay for it.  Just a thought if it is possible.

We aren't considering any form of in-game rewards for donations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

On 1/14/2024 at 6:29 AM, Jimmy said:

Sorry you experienced this, it's definitely not the environment we seek to foster here.

I'll echo what @Clave Dark 5 said, it's critical that you report these things when you see them. We aren't able to proactively monitor everything all the time, so the GM team does rely on player reports to help make us aware of any issues 🙂

For what it's worth (and I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew in bringing this up), I happen to have an actual, hard-earned college degree in psychology and certain related fields, as well as a unique position of insight into the current zeitgeist; I could potentially be of help with regards to navigating, adjudicating, and maintaining your integrity through what's to come. Ever since I got said degree, it seems, Big SocMed has been trying to position itself as a global 'classroom' in the very fields I've studied, and what's horrifying is how practically all of what it disseminates is wrong.

The "real" world today feels like a combination of 'Praetoria without the healthcare' and 'the Rogue Isles without the Hobbesian-state-of-nature element of fairness'.

Edited by AspieAnarchy
added remark, pruned punctuation
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• City Council
41 minutes ago, AspieAnarchy said:

For what it's worth (and I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew in bringing this up), I happen to have an actual, hard-earned college degree in psychology and certain related fields, as well as a unique position of insight into the current zeitgeist; I could potentially be of help with regards to navigating, adjudicating, and maintaining your integrity through, what's to come. Ever since I got said degree, it seems, Big SocMed has been trying to position itself as a global 'classroom' in the very fields I've studied, and what's horrifying is how practically all of what it disseminates is wrong.

The "real" world today feels like a combination of 'Praetoria without the healthcare' and 'the Rogue Isles without the Hobbesian-state-of-nature element of fairness'.

Check out the link in my signature if you're interested in helping out 🙂

First of all I want to say congratulations.  And I am a little surprised but in a good way.  Its not often if ever that you get a games company that holds a licence even if never used over a game willing to endorse and allow private servers for there game.  Great job guys

EMERALD STAR PUB DISCORD: 

Hey guys.  Need a place to go online were you can forget eberything going on in the real world?  Place to let loose have fun and a laugh?  Well come on down to the Emerald star pub.  A fun place to be thats both ooc and rp chat.  You want to know more theres an invite below to come check us out and have some fun

Emerald Star Pub

3 hours ago, Murcielago said:

What did I miss?

So first Maria ran away with Ted to Cancun to raise their mutant son in peace, then Devan flipped his car but he's OK, Candice's cancer was cured when she touched this strange asteroid, Bill discovered that he's been a clone all this time and the real one's is ruling an small Pacific island with an iron fist, and Tom's plans to build an army of attack-bots was foiled when his dog, jumping up on him out of happiness and love, made him accidentally drop the very delicate control circuit box.

• Banjo 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

22 hours ago, Psi-bolt said:

money sinks of the P2W vendor

Most of the stuff that was Veteran Rewards on Live are free at the P2W. It's only stuff like specialized movement modes (aside from Ninja/Beast/Athletic, those are free too, so basically the shapeshift ones and the 'using a hoverboard or magic carpet' type ones), extra origin powers (you get the one that goes with your origin + 1 for free at P2W, but any more than that you have to pay for), and temp powers and such that are 'money sinks' (and yeah, some of those temp powers were Veteran Rewards iirc, so yeah, some of the old Vereran Rewards are a money sink).

• Game Master
9 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

So first Maria ran away with Ted to Cancun to raise their mutant son in peace, then Devan flipped his car but he's OK, Candice's cancer was cured when she touched this strange asteroid, Bill discovered that he's been a clone all this time and the real one's is ruling an small Pacific island with an iron fist, and Tom's plans to build an army of attack-bots was foiled when his dog, jumping up on him out of happiness and love, made him accidentally drop the very delicate control circuit box.

In other words...

image.png.d8a16353bd7f5f2146358b2d969a35e7.png

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Banjo 1

On 1/11/2024 at 4:38 PM, Grey-Ghost said:

I can't even remember what server I was on Live. I have had such a better time on Homecoming. I guess talking with people and getting to know them really helps with game enjoyment 😛

I was on Virtue!

As an OG player from the beginning when CoH first came out. Will they purchase the servers from Cryptic Studios.  Would love to play my orginal characters.  I have years invested in them.   

49 minutes ago, Amaterasu said:

I was on Virtue!

Fellow Virtuite! (That's Virtue-ite, not Viltrumite, in case the similarity in spelling causes confusion)
I guess with it being the Unofficial RP Server (the Everlasting of pre-Sundown), and the most populous server in general towards the end especially, it's not too unusual to find more of us out there. Though I really wish I could find some of my old teammates from Terata (the monsters-as-heroes SG) or Young Phalanx (the Teen Titans/Young Justice or Young Avengers of the Freedom Phalanx)...

Edited by OmegaX123

59 minutes ago, Bigdogg said:

As an OG player from the beginning when CoH first came out. Will they purchase the servers from Cryptic Studios.  Would love to play my orginal characters.  I have years invested in them.   

It's been repeated in the replies here. No, for several reasons, and mostly due to the privacy wrangling and security that might require to ensure the live player account owners are really who they are in acquiring access to their old data, and lastly no because that's a whole other matter that got wiped out completely.

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

I got the announcement yesterday by email, and I found it quite exciting that CoH is officially back. I don't play much these days, but it was one of my favourite games, and I might try it. Pity there's no official controller support, as I will find it more convenient to play on my GPD Win 4.

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1