NCSOFT & Homecoming License Announcement

On 1/14/2024 at 1:11 AM, AspieAnarchy said:

I just want to mention: I just logged onto an utterly bottom-shelf, metastasized-from-Twitter, crybully shitshow; I was going to play some tonight, but I guess not.

I bring this up because it was an example of what I really hope does not become more common with the game opening up.

Granted, it's not as if I'd never seen such a thing before, and there were some of the known bad actors on my shard involved so I'm guessing that's how it started, but what worries me is they'll get stronger, and aforementioned bad actors will look like leaders to noobs with similar opinions, and from there you could get a whole Hobbesian Leviathan that is vastly worse than the sum of its parts.

Social Media culture definitely ruined the MMO enviroment the first time around (the timing was right on the nose, I remember it all too well), and it's taken this long, plus banishment to the Netherworld, to get more-good-than-bad again.

I'm just hoping what I saw remains an aberration; there's already too much of it. I won't name names, but it does make me wish some folks would STFU at long last.

I definitely understand where you are coming from. I think I was there or I know who you are talking about. I don't like my video games filled with twitter crap so hopefully that was just a rarity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am done playing. NCSoft taking over. I foresee this game being shut down.  I said when NCsoft shut it down I would have nothing to do with a game associated with them ever and I meant that. I wish everyone luck, but I feel that the game will not be around much longer. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Luzion said:

I am done playing. NCSoft taking over. I foresee this game being shut down.  I said when NCsoft shut it down I would have nothing to do with a game associated with them ever and I meant that. I wish everyone luck, but I feel that the game will not be around much longer. 

Why not enjoy it while you've got it?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Luzion said:

No. NCSoft is NOT taking over. Also, this licensing agreement makes it far less likely that the game will be shut down.

I'm not sure which announcement you read, but you literally took away the opposite of what was said.

• Like 2
  • Microphone 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

10 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

No. NCSoft is NOT taking over. Also, this licensing agreement makes it far less likely that the game will be shut down.

I'm not sure which announcement you read, but you literally took away the opposite of what was said.

FAQ Can NCsoft shut COH down and the answer was yes. I will not play a game that NCsoft has anything to do with. I love the game. I will leave on my terms not having it ripped from under me again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Down 3

49 minutes ago, Luzion said:

By all means, stand by your convictions.  But, ask yourself "What if the game is still around in 5 years, and I missed out on all of that game play because NCSoft's involvement?"  If you consider that potential outcome worthwhile, then by all means, withdraw on your own terms.  But, it could be that you are being just a tad pessimistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

What was no more, is REBORN!

17 minutes ago, Abraxus said:

By all means, stand by your convictions.  But, ask yourself "What if the game is still around in 5 years, and I missed out on all of that game play because NCSoft's involvement?"  If you consider that potential outcome worthwhile, then by all means, withdraw on your own terms.  But, it could be that you are being just a tad pessimistic.

⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️  ⬆️

Pretty much this.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I'll be honest, I'm surprised it took this long for a 'not playing if ncsoft are involved' post. I don't agree with the thinking but I was expecting to see more of it.

Anyway, congratulations to all involved. Looking forward to the upcoming release and all future developments!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Luzion said:

FAQ Can NCsoft shut COH down and the answer was yes. I will not play a game that NCsoft has anything to do with. I love the game. I will leave on my terms not having it ripped from under me again.

Yes they could, but they always could have done that. The licensing agreement makes it far less likely that they will do so. NCSoft is still not taking taking over and they still don't have anything to do with Homecoming.

I understand, and even agree with, your outlook on this. However, you have completely misunderstood the licensing agreement.

Take care man. Paragon City will be waiting for you if you ever decide to return. Peace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Microphone 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

2 hours ago, Luzion said:

I can understand your position, but they could have pulled out plug anytime over the last few years before granting us the license.  What makes you think that it is more likely that they will pull the plug on us now vs. before?  If anything, I think the unlicensed ones would be hit first.  And finally, the code is out there.  Anyone with the knowledge and desire can make a CoH server.  If NCSoft suddenly starts issuing cease and desist letters or formal lawsuits they will find themselves playing wack-a-mole.

• Thanks 3

47 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I can understand your position, but they could have pulled out plug anytime over the last few years before granting us the license.  What makes you think that it is more likely that they will pull the plug on us now vs. before?  If anything, I think the unlicensed ones would be hit first.  And finally, the code is out there.  Anyone with the knowledge and desire can make a CoH server.  If NCSoft suddenly starts issuing cease and desist letters or formal lawsuits they will find themselves playing wack-a-mole.

I don't know. I said I would have nothing to do with NCsoft. I kept my word on that. Now after all this time they want to open their arms and say come back. I just don't buy it. No company does anything out of the kindness in their heart. All companies are out to make money. I believe they are up to something. I lost all my friends that played before shutdown. I do not want to go thru that heart break again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luzion said:

I don't know. I said I would have nothing to do with NCsoft. I kept my word on that. Now after all this time they want to open their arms and say come back. I just don't buy it. No company does anything out of the kindness in their heart. All companies are out to make money. I believe they are up to something. I lost all my friends that played before shutdown. I do not want to go thru that heart break again. 

I think we all felt the same way back in 2012.  However, I like to make decisions based on the most accurate, comprehensive information possible.  Unfortunately, we aren't likely to really know what it took to get here, or the terms by which it happened.  So, without that level of understanding, I really wouldn't want to make a decision on whether to risk it, or not; based on what information we DO have.  So, in lieu of that, I choose to believe that we are in less danger than we have been for the past 4 years, and potentially less than other servers out of scope for the agreement.  If it were to all end tomorrow, I would consider myself lucky to have had that rare second chance in life, to enjoy something I thought was gone for good.  In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy playing, until I am given a solid reason to reconsider.  Life is too short for grudges of the past to have lease on my future.

Edited by Abraxus
  • Like 7

What was no more, is REBORN!

5 hours ago, Luzion said:

Cool mate, go to Thunderspy or Rebirth or Unity.  There are other options so your principals aren't soiled.  Isn't freedom awesome.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

5 hours ago, Luzion said:

NCSoft could always shut any of the rogue servers down. It's called a Cease and Desist Order. Now that HC is officially supported and licensed it's less likely that they will.

• Like 4
  • Microphone 1

After so many years ... that's a wonderful moment. 
I am proud and full of gratitude for all the players who managed to keep Paragon city alive. They have been struggling against many ennemies and traps for more than a decade.
And now we are here with this incredible news.

Maybe it could be even better, maybe its not perfect, maybe its not finished, but franckly, who would have bet on this a few years ago ? 

All my gratitude to you, known and unknown heroes. And, at the moment it's fair to say thank you to NCSOFT, thank you guys for this present to the community of city of heroes fan.  We loved your game and we are still loving it 12 years after its commercial version was stopped.
God bless you all, in a world who needs heroes and dreams more than ever.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, OmegaX123 said:

NCSoft could always shut any of the rogue servers down. It's called a Cease and Desist Order. Now that HC is officially supported and licensed it's less likely that they will.

And regardless, HC will be the one to catch hate for it.

OH JOY!

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Luzion said:

Can I have your stuff then?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VULCAN said:

After so many years ... that's a wonderful moment. 
I am proud and full of gratitude for all the players who managed to keep Paragon city alive. They have been struggling against many ennemies and traps for more than a decade.
And now we are here with this incredible news.

Maybe it could be even better, maybe its not perfect, maybe its not finished, but franckly, who would have bet on this a few years ago ? 

All my gratitude to you, known and unknown heroes. And, at the moment it's fair to say thank you to NCSOFT, thank you guys for this present to the community of city of heroes fan.  We loved your game and we are still loving it 12 years after its commercial version was stopped.
God bless you all, in a world who needs heroes and dreams more than ever.

Hey!  Come on man!  This is some Grade-A AGGRO they're putting out here!
Don't deprive us of it!
We Tanks LIVE on this stuff!

Being thankful for getting something previous back just isn't enough!

They gotta crap in their cornflakes to feel "even".

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

55 minutes ago, OmegaX123 said:

It's always been very unlikely that NCSoft would shut anyone down or pursue legal action against any of the pirate servers.  Aside from the bad PR it would cost them, it makes perfect sense given the solid reasons @Bionic_Flea points out above - especially that the code is out there now.  Shut down one pirate server and another (or more) will crop up to take its place.  It's a costly proposition to try and legally go after all of the pirate servers out there.  Why would NCSoft bother with that hassle and expense?  Instead  they drew up a standard "license" agreement (which I have no doubt they will in turn charge a fee for in the future) and have any of the pirate servers sign it if they want to be declared a "licensed" server.  Instead of a legal expense,  a dead IP can be used to make a few bucks for NCSoft without NCSoft lifting a finger or costing them a dime.  Smart move on NCSoft's part.  Also, the NCSoft name and logo are still associated with the game, so its free advertising for them.  Win win for NCSoft. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

I can understand your position, but they could have pulled out plug anytime over the last few years before granting us the license.  What makes you think that it is more likely that they will pull the plug on us now vs. before?  

Because previously HC and the other servers were acting in defiance of NCSoft, and were showing at least some willpower to do so.  Now that there is a licensing agreement, HC has stepped away from that defiance and into deference, and whereas previously shutting HC down would have likely required some effort and expense from NCSoft, now in theory all it would take is NCSoft asking for the game to be shut down.

In the end would it have made much difference either way?  I don't know; probably not.  But it does create a perception that HC is now directly under NCSoft's thumb and willing to comply with whatever NCSoft wants them to do, as opposed to continuing to find ways to resist and keep running in spite of NCSoft.

For obvious reasons, this game is full of a lot of superhero fans.  One thing you learn from the genre is that when the hero and the villain set aside their differences to work together, you should always keep one eye on the villain and watch for the inevitable betrayal.  Whether or not that truly applies in this case, the mentality is kind of programmed into the player base, so you can't blame them for the suspicion.

If anything, I think the unlicensed ones would be hit first.

This is honestly my big fear in this situation, that other servers will either be forced to come under the HC license umbrella or be shut down, and the variety and options in the CoH community will be reduced.  I don't agree with all of HC's decisions and direction for the game, and having other alternatives available has always been reassuring.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

3 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

Because previously HC and the other servers were acting in defiance of NCSoft, and were showing at least some willpower to do so.  Now that there is a licensing agreement, HC has stepped away from that defiance and into deference, and whereas previously shutting HC down would have likely required some effort and expense from NCSoft, now in theory all it would take is NCSoft asking for the game to be shut down.

In the end would it have made much difference either way?  I don't know; probably not.  But it does create a perception that HC is now directly under NCSoft's thumb and willing to comply with whatever NCSoft wants them to do, as opposed to continuing to find ways to resist and keep running in spite of NCSoft.

For obvious reasons, this game is full of a lot of superhero fans.  One thing you learn from the genre is that when the hero and the villain set aside their differences to work together, you should always keep one eye on the villain and watch for the inevitable betrayal.  Whether or not that truly applies in this case, the mentality is kind of programmed into the player base, so you can't blame them for the suspicion.

This is honestly my big fear in this situation, that other servers will either be forced to come under the HC license umbrella or be shut down, and the variety and options in the CoH community will be reduced.  I don't agree with all of HC's decisions and direction for the game, and having other alternatives available has always been reassuring.

If NCSoft decides to shut stuff down EVERYONE would just go pirate again. A license from them changes this not at all. It's LESS likely that HC would be shut down first, but that's NOT HC's problem. If the OTHER servers want in they can open talks with NCSoft.

NCSoft could ALWAYS have shut us down. The licnese means they folks behind HC have less one worry on their minds as they VOLUNTEER to work on the game they love.

Everyone realizes they are doing this for the community cause they love the game, right? They are not getting paid to do this.

Edited by golstat2003
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Microphone 1

Also, don't forget that a license works both ways.  Meaning that both sides have entered into a licensing agreement, a contract, and as long as HC abides by the terms of the contract, NCSoft cannot arbitrarily shut them down.  Before the agreement they could just say "Stop."  Now NCSoft has to abide by the agreement just as much as HC does.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Also, don't forget that a license works both ways.  Meaning that both sides have entered into a licensing agreement, a contract, and as long as HC abides by the terms of the contract, NCSoft cannot arbitrarily shut them down.  Before the agreement they could just say "Stop."  Now NCSoft has to abide by the agreement just as much as HC does.

No, that's not how it works.  The company holding the license has all the power, and can revoke it at any time.  Or they can leverage the license to force an action from the licensed entity.  The FAQ even clearly states that even with the license, NCSoft can still arbitrarily shut them down, so that claim is simply false.  Before the agreement, NCSoft would have to send a legal Cease and Desist letter, which if HC chose to challenge the validity of (not saying they would, but it's still a risk NCSoft would have to consider), would have to be backed up with court filings, etc., creating more expense for no profit.  Now with the license in place, NCSoft can just say "Stop," and if HC refuses they will be in violation of the license agreement, which opens them to legal repercussions that weren't necessarily in play before.