Help, new player, never played before.

Niizzy

If you want to keep soloing and you are finding a mission too difficult, you can change the difficulty in the notoriety settings.

Click the chat bubble next to the text line where you type, and hover over notoriety.

If you want more people, enter this>  /lfg New player needs help with mission PST. (please send tell. You're asking someone to send you a private message, to which you can instantly reply by hitting backspace)

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

Greetings I am on the everlasting server. My character of the same handle as I use here on the forums has always been sued by me as a mentor type figure. While he himself is magic based I have no issue mentoring those of differing themes, exemping down to help you run your arcs, and can help explain things as you need.

I am a role player though so if that is weird for you I understand.

If you do play on Everlasting and are interested send me an ingame email with your character name and Ill keep an eye out for you when I am on

If you want to keep soloing and you are finding a mission too difficult, you can change the difficulty in the notoriety settings.

Click the chat bubble next to the text line where you type, and hover over notoriety.

If you want more people, enter this>  /lfg New player needs help with mission PST. (please send tell. You're asking someone to send you a private message, to which you can instantly reply by hitting backspace)

Glad to know this! If I play in a lower difficult settings, does it influence the amount of exp I earn? Or any other things?

Greetings I am on the everlasting server. My character of the same handle as I use here on the forums has always been sued by me as a mentor type figure. While he himself is magic based I have no issue mentoring those of differing themes, exemping down to help you run your arcs, and can help explain things as you need.

I am a role player though so if that is weird for you I understand.

If you do play on Everlasting and are interested send me an ingame email with your character name and Ill keep an eye out for you when I am on

Sadly, I'm playing on Excelsior, I'm also magic based and while I never engaged in any RP because I'm very shy, I love to see other people RP! I make character themes, background and such in my mind and get really attached to them. I would love to see this mentor thing!

Glad to know this! If I play in a lower difficult settings, does it influence the amount of exp I earn? Or any other things?

Slightly, yes.  XP for defeating enemies will be based on the enemies' relative level compared to yours.  If you set yourself to "-1/x1" (which makes the game spawn mission-map enemies as if you were one level LOWER than you really are, making it all a slight bit easier), then all those enemies will be worth a few XP less.  But the end-of-mission awards, IIRC, should remain the same.

You could always pick up a +25% XP temporary power, from the P2W Vendor, to makeup for it, and a little bit more.  That will reduce your Influence awards by 25%, mind you, but that should be survivable.

I make character themes, background and such in my mind and get really attached to them. I would love to see this mentor thing!

Write that stuff up, put it in the Background section of your character's ID / Details page.  Even if you don't actively RP, people will read that and enjoy it, maybe fire off a compliment at you.

For example, I made a blaster (Beam/Devices) the other night.  Huge body, floating metal ball for a head, lots of cybernetic/robot pieces.  My concept was "little girl in a suit of power armor".  And I wrote in my Background:

An eleven-year-old girl in a suit of power armor, fighting badguys.

What could possibly go wrong?

Which was worth a couple chuckles from people who read it, while waiting for more people to add to the DFB team I had just joined.  :D

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Re: XP:

A lowered amount of XP per individual enemy defeated can still work out to more XP per hour because you end fights faster, survive better and therefore fight more things in the time you play. That's why some power sets can prefer to increase difficulty first by increasing the amount of enemies they face.

Yeah, also what Blastit says.  That's what Teaming does to your XP rate, in fact: since you're sharing that XP-per-kill with people, you get a LOT less XP that way .... per NPC foe.  But your team will chew through five, ten, TWENTY times as many NPC foes in a given span of time, than most people could manage solo, so ... :D

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Write that stuff up, put it in the Background section of your character's ID / Details page.  Even if you don't actively RP, people will read that and enjoy it, maybe fire off a compliment at you.

For example, I made a blaster (Beam/Devices) the other night.  Huge body, floating metal ball for a head, lots of cybernetic/robot pieces.  My concept was "little girl in a suit of power armor".  And I wrote in my Background:

Which was worth a couple chuckles from people who read it, while waiting for more people to add to the DFB team I had just joined.  :D

HAHAHA thats awesome! Very creative, congratz! I got some compliments on my character looks last night, but I was away and couldn't thank them properly. I'll try to put something in my bio, too!

Also, regarding the people helping with the difficult/xp thing, I figured out that I can run from strong enemies and their ads up to a point and it resets their aggro, then I attack when they are returning, defeating one by one. Some times it takes a little while to clear a mission, but at least I can do it.

Welcome home, my friend.

I am also in excelsior, playtime usually sometime between 7PM and late (US Central).

If you need mission help, crunchy bits help, or anything, just holler - my globals on my name, most often on C’len, H E R O, or Ramayael at the moment.  Im the one who talks too much in Help chat.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

HAHAHA thats awesome! Very creative, congratz! I got some compliments on my character looks last night, but I was away and couldn't thank them properly. I'll try to put something in my bio, too!

Also, regarding the people helping with the difficult/xp thing, I figured out that I can run from strong enemies and their ads up to a point and it resets their aggro, then I attack when they are returning, defeating one by one. Some times it takes a little while to clear a mission, but at least I can do it.

Read this, it might help some things, since you're brand new. O5khXA8.gif

I'm out.

HAHAHA thats awesome! Very creative, congratz!

Thanks - and, as your reactions hows, it's brought enjoyment to more than just myself.  But, the funny thing is, it took me only moments to do.  Sure, sure, while making the costume, I had the "little girl in a robot suit" idea in the back of my mind the whole time.  It informed my choices for body type and scales (short and THICK torso/limbs/etc).

But the actual bit in the bio?  Ten seconds, fifteen tops.  :)

I've seen - and back in the Paragon Studios days, DONE - much more extensive background writeups.  :)  Especially for the alts I had in the Young Paragons SG on Virtue (concept: teenagd heroes, 13-19), since that group was a "light RP" one.

As a note as an notorious character creator myself

all the travel powers can work with a so called Normal person

Flight - Flight ring or flight suit or built in anti grav projector

teleport = ring or built into suit or satellite system that allows brief matter transport

super leap - can be anti grav boots or suit or can be used to simulate web slinging or Bat grapples or the like

Super speed can be a pretend motorcycle or such

COH hasn't quite caught up on certain things but they have made some small strides in travel powers

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Also, its getting really hard to solo missions and I've been spamming "LFT" for 40 minutes and nobody invited for anything =[ it looks like nobody do missions, just those power level things.

Its getting really boring playing alone, sadly.

Don’t get down.  I play on Excelsior and it sometimes takes a while to find a group.

Also, a quick word regarding powers and power selection – your first character can sometimes be gimped pretty bad.  On my first, I picked powers that sounded or looked cool but didn’t really fit my play style.  Be willing to experiment with new combinations and classes to find what’s most fun for you.  All powerset combinations are effective and having fun is the point!

I am a proud alt-a-holic! ;D

teleport = ring or built into suit or satellite system that allows brief matter transport

super leap - can be anti grav boots or suit or can be used to simulate web slinging or Bat grapples or the like

COH hasn't quite caught up on certain things but they have made some small strides in travel powers

But I'm playing a "Paladin Knight" type of character. I didn't found anything that would look good on her, so she just runs around on the streets haha. She came from another dimension, so she isn't really used to how things works on Paragon City, but she was rewarded with a strange aparatus that let you fly around when helping a detective stop a bank heist though, and she is learning how to pilot it by trial and error. He called it a "jet pack". While she has a little of divine protection (fire armor), she can't use powerful magic to fly around or teleport.

Thats her:

294kppe.png

Also, thanks again for everyone welcoming and trying to help! You guys are awesome!

• Like 2

Don't forget the Rocket Boots and Spring Boots for flight and Super Jump. Or the winged boots for Super Speed. All of them animate for their respective travel powers.

But I'm playing a "Paladin Knight" type of character. I didn't found anything that would look good on her, so she just runs around on the streets haha. She came from another dimension, so she isn't really used to how things works on Paragon City, but she was rewarded with a strange aparatus that let you fly around when helping a detective stop a bank heist though, and she is learning how to pilot it by trial and error. He called it a "jet pack". While she has a little of divine protection (fire armor), she can't use powerful magic to fly around or teleport.

Also, thanks again for everyone welcoming and trying to help! You guys are awesome!

Great costume.  My first character was time lost pirate from the 1600’s and wouldn’t use any travel powers.  He was unfamiliar with modern technology and was so focused on getting back home to his family that he wasn’t going to take the time to learn it.  His teammates finally convinced him to use a “jet pack” to get around.

I understand the character immersion completely

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

Thats her:

294kppe.png

Paladin knight from another dimension?  ;D pfft that's easy

Super Speed to represent an interdimensional CHarger or horse. cant see the horse sadly have to use imagination for that but still perfectly viable choice

Flight also works in the sense of her armor granting her flight or a divine blessing of some sort

Teleport also works following the Dimensional thing its how she got here in the first place but for now it only works for short ranged jumps and for teleporting friend and foe close to her,

See  8) :D

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

Don't forget the Rocket Boots and Spring Boots for flight and Super Jump. Or the winged boots for Super Speed. All of them animate for their respective travel powers.

They have different kind of animations or I am misunderstanding?

Great costume.  My first character was time lost pirate from the 1600’s and wouldn’t use any travel powers.  He was unfamiliar with modern technology and was so focused on getting back home to his family that he wasn’t going to take the time to learn it.  His teammates finally convinced him to use a “jet pack” to get around.

I understand the character immersion completely

Thanks! Yeah, I just couldn't stand her running around like a ninja hahaha

Paladin knight from another dimension?  ;D pfft that's easy

Super Speed to represent an interdimensional CHarger or horse. cant see the horse sadly have to use imagination for that but still perfectly viable choice

Flight also works in the sense of her armor granting her flight or a divine blessing of some sort

Teleport also works following the Dimensional thing its how she got here in the first place but for now it only works for short ranged jumps and for teleporting friend and foe close to her,

See  8) :D

But she don't have dimensional power, magic items and such, she is just a "foot soldier" sent to Paragon City by the Magus of her order because some of the Demons from her dimension is being summoned by some kind of dimensional magic and he traced it to Paragon City. In her dimension, her order is the only frontline they have against the demons, so they feel responsible for it and want to confront whoever is summoning them. When its time to return, she will be transported back, but will she want to, though?

I saw somewhere in the game that some Demons, Behemots and such are summoned from an unknown dimension and this background immediately popped in my head, since the first enemies you fight are Hellions, it just made sense to me.

Also, last night someone invited me to a Super Group, while I didn't had time to play with them, they all seem to be a friendly bunch! I'm proud of this community, thanks everyone for being so helpful! Keep being Awesome!

• 1 month later
On 6/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, Niizzy said:

They have different kind of animations or I am misunderstanding?

I know I'm probably a month late with this reply...

For the Rocket boots' animation, think of Ironman. They're basically rockets mounted, aesthetically, in boots.

For the Spring Boots, Think of Spring-heel Jack.

the boots themselves have animations attached to them. They don't alter the animation of the flight pose or Jump.

Although, you can change your flight pose (only while flying forward) with /e flypose# (# being 1, 2, 3, or 4). Personally, I prefer the default fly pose.

On 6/22/2019 at 3:14 AM, Niizzy said:

Thats her:

294kppe.png

But I bet those boots with the nifty little wings on them could house a minor enchantment, which allows her to run around a super-human speeds!  You could also just slot up swift, hurdle, and perhaps combat jumping, to simulate a "natural" travel power.  Maybe her home dimension has higher gravity, so here on earth's lower relative gravity, she could super jump.

16 minutes ago, Twisted Toon said:

For the Spring Boots, Think of Spring-heel Jack.

Sort of; it appears that the boots are more of a pneumatic-ram sort of thing, creating a visual effect supporting why your jumping so far. This is supported by the animation, which not only compresses and expands the pistons, but creates a little cloud that you leave behind when you jump, leading to the costume piece having been widely referred to as "poot boots".

2 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Sort of; it appears that the boots are more of a pneumatic-ram sort of thing, creating a visual effect supporting why your jumping so far. This is supported by the animation, which not only compresses and expands the pistons, but creates a little cloud that you leave behind when you jump, leading to the costume piece having been widely referred to as "poot boots".

I never used those boots, since my favorite travel power was flight. I did use the Rocket boots on a couple of characters, though. they really went with the theme of the character as well.

On 6/21/2019 at 5:05 AM, Niizzy said:

Also, its getting really hard to solo missions and I've been spamming "LFT" for 40 minutes and nobody invited for anything =[ it looks like nobody do missions, just those power level things.

Its getting really boring playing alone, sadly.

Depending on the server and the time of day you may just be calling to an empty room. Sadly we don't have thousands on at all times of day and night like we used to. Try to join an active supergroup (SG). A lot of times you can get a team or a couple of team mates from an SG shout out. But again, they might all be at work, school or in bed.

Sometimes blind invites work and sometimes they don't.  Nothing beats a failure, but to try.  Remember team leaders are made not born.  Difficult missions don't always need 8  players, get a couple ATs that cover things you don't do or don't do well.  Eventually you'll be able to hold your own on Founder's Fall, Rikiti War Zone, Peregrine Island mission teams and then you'll always have a team available to you, if not wait a couple minutes.