Enhancement Diversification

I think many of us can experience a, "Been there, done that, nailed it shut," moment when reading that.  It honestly escapes me how the original Devs, back in '03-'04, would not have been able to pick up on how the players were multi-stacking enhancements to go for the damage/healing/defence-machines we were working on becoming back in Issue #1.  While I can appreciate the logic behind encouraging players to not want to just hit the single-enhancement type for any Archetype, I again think it was something so obvious they should have been anticipating it way ahead of the curve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pgydaux said:

Does the current state of the game reflect Enhancement Diversification?  Or can I 6-slot my attacks with all +Damage?

That was dead long before i came to the game in issue 7? Good vs Evil. Homecoming is based on issue 23? The last version as the game shut down. Now, to help understand ED i give you Dwayne Johnson…

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

ED has never been rolled back (nor should it IMO) but Incarnate powers do mitigate the effects of ED somewhat

That said it is never advisable six-slot anything unless you're six slotting Brawl with Accuracy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

There's nothing left of that horse to beat. Even the ground it was on has long since filled in with water and become a nice little lake.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

My problem with Enhancement Diversification has always been that nothing in the game warns you about slotting that 4th (and subsequent) damage enhancement. Sure, if you are looking at the numbers as you go you'll notice something is off, but I don't think most players really do that.

Same thing with The Law Of Fives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

My problem with Enhancement Diversification has always been that nothing in the game warns you about slotting that 4th (and subsequent) damage enhancement. Sure, if you are looking at the numbers as you go you'll notice something is off, but I don't think most players really do that.

Same thing with The Law Of Fives.

Nothing in real life tells you that 5th hamburger is a bad idea either.  Talk to the other people around you... the ones giving you the eye and shaking their head.  Listen to your body.  In game terms that means talk to ANYBODY about slotting. Or watch your toons performance as you slot and determine what the slotting did.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Or watch your toons performance as you slot and determine what the slotting did.

To notice the Rule of Five you'd have to take a picture of your character info sheet's list of set bonus names before and after slotting a new set to compare.  Heck, even in Mid's you have to open a set bonus summary window to see that you've gone over five somewhere.  That's not even getting into the weirdness that you can have *more* than 5x 7.5% recharge because that bonus has two different names.

3 minutes ago, ZemX said:

To notice the Rule of Five you'd have to take a picture of your character info sheet's list of set bonus names before and after slotting a new set to compare.  Heck, even in Mid's you have to open a set bonus summary window to see that you've gone over five somewhere.  That's not even getting into the weirdness that you can have *more* than 5x 7.5% recharge because that bonus has two different names.

And a real world example….

Vitamin supplements are good for me.  So i should take a LOT every day because I want to play X sport.   Noooooo.   Too much of a good thing is not at all good sometimes.  But you have to read the very fine print and listen to successful people in sport X to know a little more.

I swear, the zombie ED arguments are reaching the level of the old PC-vs-Mac whinefests. I get a headache just seeing the subject line.

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

11 hours ago, Pgydaux said:

Cool. Thanks.

Neatly 20 years ago, but I'm still reeling from the Crisis of Infinite Nerfs that was I5 & ED.

You’ll want to get over it or play another game. There have been countless buffs since then so it’s pretty ridiculous to still care about ED.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 2

3 minutes ago, Snarky said:

And a real world example….

There are some differences between the real world and video games... or so I hear.

I don't disagree that doing research on game mechanics is worthwhile, but @Oklahoman isn't being too outrageous here to suggest maybe a popup message appear the first time you hit an ED limit while enhancing a power or the first time you go over the Rule of Five.   Particularly the Rule of Five is so obscure, I would not be surprised if less than half the playerbase even knows about it.   I know something like less than half the randos I run into on PuGs even have IOs.  And I mean at level 50.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, ZemX said:

There are some differences between the real world and video games... or so I hear.

I don't disagree that doing research on game mechanics is worthwhile, but @Oklahoman isn't being too outrageous here to suggest maybe a popup message appear the first time you hit an ED limit while enhancing a power or the first time you go over the Rule of Five.   Particularly the Rule of Five is so obscure, I would not be surprised if less than half the playerbase even knows about it.   I know something like less than half the randos I run into on PuGs even have IOs.  And I mean at level 50.

These are factual and well stated summaries if the situation.  

So, a gaming example. Not “real world”. Do not expect a 20 year old game to have modern bells and whistles. 

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

So, a gaming example. Not “real world”. Do not expect a 20 year old game to have modern bells and whistles. 

No, but it does have a few such bells and whistles anyway like a tutorial level and help popups.  A flood of new players tends to make us think about what else could be improved.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Just now, ZemX said:

No, but it does have a few such bells and whistles anyway like a tutorial level and help popups.  A flood of new players tends to make us think about what else could be improved.  

The biggest problem is that there's next to no comprehensive documentation. We have some good starts on new-user guides, and everything is documented somewhere, pretty much... but even an experienced player would know absolutely nothing about ED and slotting limits/strategy unless they knew to look it up... and knew the specific game terminology/lingo to look up the right stuff.

But we know there are manymany new players out there happily six-slotting stuff, without a clue.

Not sure what to do about it other than to keep urging newbs to latch onto and use the basic guides.

• Microphone 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

1 minute ago, Shenanigunner said:

Not sure what to do about it other than to keep urging newbs to latch onto and use the basic guides.

I tend to point people from the /help channel to these forums for the basic start up guides and money making guides and what-not.  There's too much there to easily cover in a chat window in game.

I don't think the game needs to hand-hold quite as much as modern games do.  The answers are usually rather easily found with a quick Google search "CoH Homecoming (insert topic here)".   But you have to know you have something to look for.  So it's the stuff that can be easily just not noticed that might need a callout here and there.  It serves as a "there's something here you might want to go Google about" kind of pointer.

That's good enough for a 20 year old game, I'd say.

7 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

The biggest problem is that there's next to no comprehensive documentation. We have some good starts on new-user guides, and everything is documented somewhere, pretty much... but even an experienced player would know absolutely nothing about ED and slotting limits/strategy unless they knew to look it up... and knew the specific game terminology/lingo to look up the right stuff.

But we know there are manymany new players out there happily six-slotting stuff, without a clue.

the homecoming wiki actually has a LOT of information, most of it in an accessible structure.  but it is something that requires what used to be considered elementary research skills, now considered upper graduate level mystical knowledge

• Sad 1