Enhancement Diversification

3 minutes ago, ZemX said:

But you have to know you have something to look for.

Switching from one commercial software package to another, even one with a nearly identical UI and features — think word processors, before there was basically only one — could mean days of hair-tearing trying to figure out a feature when you didn't know Company B called it something different from Company A's term. Until you stumbled on the exact term, you were lost. Things have gotten a little better, but even among games, the specific terms for certain elements vary, and searching for Game X's lingo won't help at all.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

We could always have Ms Liberty talk to our new heroes about ED.

• Haha 6
  • Staff of Aesculapius 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

3 minutes ago, Snarky said:

the homecoming wiki actually has a LOT of information, most of it in an accessible structure.  but it is something that requires what used to be considered elementary research skills, now considered upper graduate level mystical knowledge

But there are few (good) pages that tie things together or give overview/tutorials, and as I just noted, you have to know what to search for before you can search for it... or even know that you need to search for it.

This is why I grind my teeth at hand-wavy suggestions that someone go look up [any complex CoX subject] in "the wiki." If someone is asking, they probably don't even know what they don't know, and it's tough to learn anything properly when the component paragraphs are scattered over many, sometimes dozens of pages.

And counter-snark that anyone who can't find what they're looking for must be something like stupid or lazy comes from people who don't need to look anything up, and when they do, know exactly what cryptic page to go find it on.

(I've been doing this as a primary rent-paying activity for mumble years. I have scars from battles with software and system engineers who insisted that their indecipherable code notes were all any user needed. 'Nuf sed.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

1 minute ago, Frostbiter said:

We could always have Ms Liberty talk to our new heroes about ED.

i desperately want this.... the first part of that could even be a cutscene with a cheerful and helpful Ms Liberty offering help!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Snarky said:

i desperately want this.... the first part of that could even be a cutscene with a cheerful and helpful Ms Liberty offering help!

"Let me give you a hand with that..."

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Shenanigunner said:

But there are few (good) pages that tie things together or give overview/tutorials, and as I just noted, you have to know what to search for before you can search for it... or even know that you need to search for it.

This is why I grind my teeth at hand-wavy suggestions that someone go look up [any complex CoX subject] in "the wiki." If someone is asking, they probably don't even know what they don't know, and it's tough to learn anything properly when the component paragraphs are scattered over many, sometimes dozens of pages.

And counter-snark that anyone who can't find what they're looking for must be something like stupid or lazy comes from people who don't need to look anything up, and when they do, know exactly what cryptic page to go find it on.

(I've been doing this as a primary rent-paying activity for mumble years. I have scars from battles with software and system engineers who insisted that their indecipherable code notes were all any user needed. 'Nuf sed.)

Actually I suck at details in this game.  Ask anyone.  I am also mediocre help on most complicated tasks.  I can get witnesses.  

What I do know here is hard won, and once I learn something, it does tend to finally stick.  

I used to be very good with MS excel, and pretty good at getting a pivot table to pull data from sets to display in reports.  MS changed Excel so much I cannot use it now except as a list system.

I posted in the Suggestions forum once that maybe we could have an NPC in Atlas that you could ask to evaluate your build (on a pretty basic level) who could point out "Hey you 6 slotted this power with damage enhancements, and here's why you may want to do that differently" or "Looks like you have 6 sets giving you +7.5% recharge" etc.

Just moving some of that knowledge from the wiki into the game itself would be helpful and more player-friendly.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

I posted in the Suggestions forum once that maybe we could have an NPC in Atlas that you could ask to evaluate your build (on a pretty basic level) who could point out "Hey you 6 slotted this power with damage enhancements, and here's why you may want to do that differently" or "Looks like you have 6 sets giving you +7.5% recharge" etc.

Just moving some of that knowledge from the wiki into the game itself would be helpful and more player-friendly.

it is a great suggestion.  I am far from a programmer.  But let me give you an opinion anyways. 

Whatever this is, it will have to be a "bolt on" with whatever ATM interface or Contact opening up some form of backdoor APP.  That alone is really not something CoH deals with well.  Example, the simple task of retrieving previous AH prices.

Now, suppose you solve the above issue easily, and it works great.  (miracles happen)  Now you need an APP/Program/Whatever to evaluate issues with a build.  Sheesh.  This would need to identify how many "stray from conservative building practices" options and give UNDERSTANDABLE feedback on each.  Through a ATM/Contact Dialogue box....  

Yeah, it is a great idea though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Snarky said:

it is a great suggestion.  I am far from a programmer.  But let me give you an opinion anyways. 

Whatever this is, it will have to be a "bolt on" with whatever ATM interface or Contact opening up some form of backdoor APP.  That alone is really not something CoH deals with well.  Example, the simple task of retrieving previous AH prices.

Now, suppose you solve the above issue easily, and it works great.  (miracles happen)  Now you need an APP/Program/Whatever to evaluate issues with a build.  Sheesh.  This would need to identify how many "stray from conservative building practices" options and give UNDERSTANDABLE feedback on each.  Through a ATM/Contact Dialogue box....  

Yeah, it is a great idea though.

I'm a recovering programmer who still relapses every now and again. I recognize some of what you say. For instance, I know what an ATM is - that's where I go to when I need actual cash out of my account.

• Haha 2

Such a lost opportunity for product placement.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

2 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

I'm a recovering programmer who still relapses every now and again. I recognize some of what you say. For instance, I know what an ATM is - that's where I go to when I need actual cash out of my account.

I was thinking of that kiosk in Atlas that tell how long you been on patrol and how many times you been to the top of that guy's huge ball

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

*sigh*

The Homecoming forums are going to be nothing but juvenile NSFW jokes for the entirety of 2024.

You kids get off my lawn!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moose 1
  • Banjo 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

Just now, PeregrineFalcon said:

*sigh*

The Homecoming forums are going to be nothing but juvenile NSFW jokes for the entirety of 2024.

You kids get off my lawn!

*astronaut_holding_gun_to_another_astronaut's_head_meme.jpg*

"It always has been"

=)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Microphone 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

And a real world example….

Vitamin supplements are good for me.  So i should take a LOT every day because I want to play X sport.   Noooooo.   Too much of a good thing is not at all good sometimes.  But you have to read the very fine print and listen to successful people in sport X to know a little more.

I'm scared to think what "vitamin" supplements a vampire needs.

• Haha 1

/e poofgone

41 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

Put it in the Bulletin Terminals dotted across the city, that are more or less redundant currently

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

56 minutes ago, Snarky said:

MS changed Excel so much I cannot use it now except as a list system.

Not in v2016, they didn't. I refuse to use 365 unless a client insists, and then I charge ITP fees.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

My god where did you see that npc?  They have hands!!!  Fort Trident?  Nobody goes there.

Well, he was in the City then he championed himself to a differnt place and ended up directly continuing unnecessarily online.

• Like 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

57 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

You are incorrect and should probably not google ATM videos that show you. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, HelenCarnate said:

You are incorrect and should probably not google ATM videos that show you. 

I've been told I should google a recipe for blue waffles, too.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1