Why No War Mace?

Steyrharquebus

Stalkers are about subtly and assassainations.  A morningstar or hammer really isn't the best for trying to be unnoticed as they're heavy, clunky, and messy.  Of course we might get them repurposed for Stalkers, but Mace and Axe are very much not "stealthy" weapons.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

18 minutes ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Stalkers are about subtly and assassainations.  A morningstar or hammer really isn't the best for trying to be unnoticed as they're heavy, clunky, and messy.  Of course we might get them repurposed for Stalkers, but Mace and Axe are very much not "stealthy" weapons.

I presumed this was the logic behind the decision. Though smashing someone across the head with a mace doesn't necessarily need to be a noisy affair. Bashing someone with a mace is a pretty surefire way to go unnoticed. Unnoticed by the person you brained anyway.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ZorkNemesis said:

So a Staff and a Broadsword are?

A Club(mace) could easily work. Sneak up and bop someone on the head. 

A hatchet/cleaver(axe) could also work quite well.

But this is not real world comparison it is total fantasy. So we have people wielding stupidly over sized weapons(TW) and shooting Beams of energy from their eyeballs etc.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, ZorkNemesis said:

As opposed to being literally on fire, using a fire sword.

Which is super sneaky

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 2/2/2024 at 5:14 AM, ZorkNemesis said:

Stalkers are about subtlety and assassinations.  A morningstar or hammer really isn't the best for trying to be unnoticed as they're heavy, clunky, and messy.  Of course we might get them repurposed for Stalkers, but Mace and Axe are very much not "stealthy" weapons.

The archetypal aspect isn't really respected anymore and the melee ATs are just "playstyle" now, i.e. Brutes/Tankers getting "finesse" sets, and Stalkers/Scrappers getting "smashing" sets. They gave stalkers Stone Melee ffs. Might as well go all the way at this point and give War Mace and Titan Weapons since they've already broken the archetypal qualia.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later
On 2/2/2024 at 5:14 AM, ZorkNemesis said:

And yet I have a WM/Ninjitsu Scrapper who very much goes without being seen and crits from stealth.

And were I to turn the dial to 11, I could make a Titan Weapon/Ninjitsu scrapper who could do the same while being fantastically even more absurd as a practitioner of ninjitsu.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 2/19/2024 at 6:52 PM, Erratic1 said:

And yet I have a WM/Ninjitsu Scrapper who very much goes without being seen and crits from stealth.

And were I to turn the dial to 11, I could make a Titan Weapon/Ninjitsu scrapper who could do the same while being fantastically even more absurd as a practitioner of ninjitsu.

1) Top Tier Name

2) I have a TW/Nin - She is absurdly fun. And a magical girl. Who uses her powers for profit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Death is the best debuff.

On 2/2/2024 at 11:26 PM, Spaghetti Betty said:

Stomping the ground and causing a rupture so powerful it sends multiple enemies flying and stuns them. Much subtle, very sneak.

He fell.. Onto an earthquake.

To the OP's point though, Claw Hammers are actually pretty common as murder weapons go today, and I'm sure there have been as many or more assassinations carried out through history with blunt weapons than with swords (although I imagine smaller blades would be more common.) As I say this, I just picture the assassination from Braveheart where the guy rides a horse into his victims bedroom and smashes him with a Flail.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later
On 2/29/2024 at 3:49 AM, Marshal_General said:

It would be fun to watch someone assassin strike someone right after rage crashes.

The Hellion Boss turns around.

"What was that? Did you just sneak up and try to tickle me?"

Have a sneaking suspicion they would just turn it into Build Up. 🤔

• Like 1

Former Paragon Studios QA - Redname Fireman

Current and always Scrapper enthusiast

On 3/17/2024 at 9:24 PM, bAss_ackwards said:

Have a sneaking suspicion they would just turn it into Build Up. 🤔

Which would suggest they would need to double the recharge on jab, punch and Haymarker-- allowing them to have a reasonable damage scale.