Genned for the first time in years...

Damn. I don't generally try to build existing characters, but I did get genned on one way back on HC — an alt to which I have some legitimate claim, but it wasn't worth arguing the point.

But I built one that tickled me, and mostly kept him in the box. I should have known better than to take him out for a walk while the newbie surge of copyright violations is attracting attention.

Rest in peace beyond the rim, Ciitzen G'Kar. You were... perfect:

GKarsmall.jpg.8f81fead3d57e7399584cc46ba74ee6d.jpg

(captured from saved costume, then reset...)

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Why did that get Genned? (Generic'ed I think is the term.) 

What did Genned do? I assume removed costume to a generic hero costume? 

Have never been Genned before ...but scared for Terra-Fish and Russian Steele. (my two most flagrant violations.) 

Edited by Cyrickain13
added character

In name, costume and ID text*, it's a spotless ripoff of a Babylon 5 character. I am in no way arguing  the gen or justifying my borrowage... just sorry I got caught when this character existed mostly in my own little portrait gallery. I have been overhauling my UI system for all my alts, and had the good Narn out for a stroll. Someone must have noticed.

* "Warrior. Ambassador. Citizen. And Guru. The very definition of Street Justice and Willpower."

• Thumbs Up 2

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

I got slapped with the generic hammer on Live once as well.  As one of my (all too many) alts on Live, I started a Dark/Dark Scrapper named Doc DarkNight, based on an NPC in my P&P Champions campaign back in college.  In the Champions campaign, Doc DarkNight was Golden Age hero who was a melange of old school Batman & the original Doctor Mid-Nite.  Blinded by criminals in an attack on his family, the good doctor had sworn to wage an unending war on criminals, & had developed the tools & skills to compensate for his blindness & aid him in this task.  (Later in this campaign, his son would take up his father's mantle & become the Silver Age version of the hero.)

The CoH version left out most of this backstory & his base costume didn't look infringing (& was often obscured by hos powers) so he went unnoticed for years.  By that point in the game, I was beginning to use my additional costume slots for more variant costume designs.  Many of my characters got a slot devoted to a Golden Age hero that had inspired the CoH character in some way, so Doc DarkNight got a Doctor Mid-Nite costume slot - which turned out great! :classic_cool: Normally, I didn't wear these potentially infringing costumes in public, saving them for inside missions or in our SG base, but wearing this one really made me feel like a hero, so I would often race from mission door to mission door wearing it.  But apparently someone eventually noticed, & the character got generic'ed. 😿

Here on Homecoming I have learned my lesson.  I swear! 😉

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

39 minutes ago, Cyrickain13 said:

Have never been Genned before ...but scared for Terra-Fish and Russian Steele. (my two most flagrant violations.)

Vould dat be Commandant Steele, the holey Atlas merc?

31 minutes ago, Snarky said:

You knew better than to name him Barbie.

Klaus... Barbie.

• Thumbs Up 2

All you had to do was scream and your life would've been saved

Who are you? What do you want?

Edited by Scarlet Shocker

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

3 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Looking at this, it confirms my belief that some people reporting these characters are going overboard.  The name, yeah I can see that... but the costume?  Doesn't look anything like the character from the show to me. 

• Thumbs Down 1

I remember there was some name purge on Live in about 2007 or so. I got a bunch of names (with no tricks to the spelling). They includes Halo, Apocalypse, Tombstone, Shadow and a few others. 

I eventually got the Generic hammer but I still don't agree with it. The toons I made did not resemble the comic IP other than name. It really is odd how they can own a common name like Apocalypse and so on. Another reason why lawyers should be at the bottom of the ocean. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Excraft said:

Looking at this, it confirms my belief that some people reporting these characters are going overboard.  The name, yeah I can see that... but the costume?  Doesn't look anything like the character from the show to me. 

I have no idea about the show or character. Is that the exact same name as the character in the show? If so, I can understand why the Generic Hammer came down. That is a unique name. It's not like the name is Citizen Smith or Citizen Sandhu and so on.

I also don't get why there is a need to plagiarize. We have an amazing toon creator. Lots of names out there especially if you use some tricks (ok, it's not great that we have to use tricks but what can you do). I'm not too worried about it. 

• Like 1

My own feeling is that the GMs and team look at stuff in the round.

Given Homecoming's history, absolutely the very last thing they need to be worrying about is a C&D notice from an IP owner.

They have every right to protect this environment and should do diligently. I would be guided by the expression "better safe than sorry" and so should everyone else who plays here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

12 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

My own feeling is that the GMs and team look at stuff in the round.

Given Homecoming's history, absolutely the very last thing they need to be worrying about is a C&D notice from an IP owner.

They have every right to protect this environment and should do diligently. I would be guided by the expression "better safe than sorry" and so should everyone else who plays here.

I don't object to anyone at HC doing what they think is best.  I still think some folks are getting very carried away.  Reading the subsequent posts here, I see it was a combo of name and character bio, so yes it should get changed.  The costume isn't anywhere close to the character though. 

37 minutes ago, Excraft said:

The costume isn't anywhere close to the character though. 

Doesn't matter. The name is enough.

Imagine creating an Arachnos VEAT and calling it the Amazing Spider Man.

5 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

GKarsmall.jpg.8f81fead3d57e7399584cc46ba74ee6d.jpg

(captured from saved costume, then reset...)

Should have created Zathras. Many Zathras. When confronted say "Many Zathras.  This different Zathras."

8 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Should have created Zathras. Many Zathras. When confronted say "Many Zathras.  This different Zathras."

Not the one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Doesn't matter. The name is enough.

I believe you either missed or misunderstood what I wrote.

Reading the subsequent posts here, I see it was a combo of name and character bio, so yes it should get changed. 

I was only commenting on the design of the costume, and not in context of whether or not is should have been genericized.  It definitely should have been based on the name and character bio. 

7 minutes ago, WuTang said:

While I will abide by the rules, there is no one coming here looking for an IP infringement.

It's mostly to CYA and by having it in the rules/ToS, it covers CoH:HC in the event that someone tries to claim that they are letting infringers run rampant or otherwise encourage the behavior...

Edited by biostem

2 hours ago, WuTang said:

While I will abide by the rules, there is no one coming here looking for an IP infringement.

Sounds like a Nemesis plot to me. 🤨

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior