People in General Chat are telling me that Super Strength sucks.

Azari

What do you guys think? Do they just not understand it? Is it underrated? Overrated? Is rage really the worst thing since moldy sliced bread? I don't get where the hate is coming from, seems like SS used to be extremely popular.

Super Strength is pretty much the most popular melee set for AT's that can have it. By that standard, it's overrated - it is not good enough to represent that much of the total melee player base. That does not, however, mean that it is *BAD*. It's quite good. Just not as good as you'd expect from a power set that's so popular. Its popularity is largely carried by its iconic nature, as we can all think of many classic heroes who have Super Strength.

I personally do not like Rage. I also do not like that Super Strength is largely balanced around Rage, which is very strong, however much I dislike it. I would love a Super Strength set balanced around getting Build Up instead of Rage. But this is all a matter of personal preference. As nearly as I can parse objective reality of the set, it's a reasonably strong set as long as you make the most of Rage, bordering on extremely strong if you are able to double-stack Rage. And Foot Stomp is amazing and incredibly satisfying.

7 minutes ago, TheMoncrief said:

Super Strength is pretty much the most popular melee set for AT's that can have it. By that standard, it's overrated

Perhaps one could call Super Strength overused yet underrated. I see people criticizing it quiet often.

30 minutes ago, Azari said:

What do you guys think? Do they just not understand it? Is it underrated? Overrated? Is rage really the worst thing since moldy sliced bread? I don't get where the hate is coming from, seems like SS used to be extremely popular.

I'd recommend not listening to people in General Chat. They were put there for a reason.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Microphone 1

1 hour ago, Krimson said:

I'd recommend not listening to people in General Chat. They were put there for a reason.

Put there? Are you saying they were banned from the forums and banished to General chat? Lolol

• Banjo 1

I'm not a fan either but I would never tell you it doesn't perform.  It performs great, and yeah, a lot of that is down to double-stacked Rage.   I just don't care for it aesthetically.  It's a lot of big slow punches and only one, admittedly great, AoE damage power.  Hand Clap needs a knockdown IO to be useful and then it's only useful as a minor control power.  Meh.  I find other sets more exciting... but in no way does SS "suck".   

Just ignore them, SS is a great set, very good damage and some nice mitigation with footstomp providing knock down. 

The minimal damage part of rage crash is annoying but can be filled with P2W damage powers, these are unaffected. 

Ha, like Super Strength could ever supplant Kinetic Melee as the suckiest Tanker secondary. 
/grumpyKMtanker

Edited by Pleonast

The American Dream, Willpower/Kinetic Melee Tanker, Everlasting.

Sometimes the Help channel is just as bad, TBH.  

If you want to know a simple question, then sure.  If you want actual build type advice, use the archetypes section on the forums. 

Super Strength is obviously good, just search for some of the outrageous flamefests that happen whenever the Devs suggest changing it. 

I would argue that Super Strength isn't as pick-up-and-go as it should be for such an iconic super hero power, but it's hardly bad at all. People dissing SS likely just don't want to deal with managing Rage crashes, which is fair.

I do wonder why they focused on "Hulk smash" and didn't have a more generic "Superman" melee set, though. The alt animations help a bit but Rage is still an odd duck.

10 hours ago, Monkeyking said:

I would argue that Super Strength isn't as pick-up-and-go as it should be for such an iconic super hero power, but it's hardly bad at all. People dissing SS likely just don't want to deal with managing Rage crashes, which is fair.

I do wonder why they focused on "Hulk smash" and didn't have a more generic "Superman" melee set, though. The alt animations help a bit but Rage is still an odd duck.

It's just a name and some flavor text.

It could be called Rainbow Sprinkles instead of Rage and people would wonder why the set is based on cutsie cartoons 

18 hours ago, Azari said:

What do you guys think?

My $.02 infl., and the preponderance of my experience is SS paired with Invunerability, although my titular toon is Stone Armor/SS and I've done Rad Armor with it, as well.  The experiences are unique, but each are very gratifying.

Foot Stomp is one of (if not the most) satisfying attacks, on a tank.  The QoL change to make it available (to tanks) at 30, changed the whole set's utility and makes exempting down to what, Yin, and later, makes playing SS a joy.  On Inv/SS, with a nearly imperceptible 27% recharge (and no Force Feedback procs slotted) through bonuses, it's <10 sec. cooldown.  When Hasten is up, it's 7.  That's a nearly nonstop stream of smashy destruction, with mobs on the floor and the Armageddon proc firing...which even fires during Rage downtime.  Speaking of, the Inv defenses are ridiculous and the -def from the rage crash is offset by saturated Invincibility.

As previously mentioned, Rage alone is good enough, double stacked is just silly, and (while I just recently started taking it) Hand Clap can also fit FF +rech and the KB/KD/Taunt sets' damage procs like Explosive Strike +smashing...also thematic 😆  Speaking of thematic, while no one would argue that Knockout Blow isn't "slow", the wind up animation is what hooked me on SS, back in 2004.  A proc. and double stacked Rage makes it remarkable.

Try it and see if you like it.  There are more combinations of archetypes and powersets than I could ever do in a lifetime, but I've done a few (see sig) and SS gets a thumbsup vote, from me.

Edited by PLVRIZR
reworded

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

Without know what "General Chat" (Damn, another toon name...) was on about the set not being good it's hard to say why the hate. On Tanks SS is pretty awesome (mostly due to Foot Stomp). The lack of an earlier AoE is a pain. However, it does have Hand Clap (no, it's not a disease) and when slotted with the KB>KD proc it's amazing mitigation. And who doesn't love knocking an enemy head over tea kettle with KoB. SS is definitely the classic comic book set of City of Heroes. If you want to pursue your study of Super Strength, feel free to join us at a Tanker Tuesday, or on the TankHQ channel and you can talk to players who've paired it with all the primaries and will give you valuable advice and feedback.

Enjoy Tanking!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nothing warms your opponent like Fiery Melee.

Tanker Tuesday and Tanker Tuesday Tour Info:

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

Special weekend run for Reunion/Europe

1 hour ago, PLVRIZR said:

" the wind up animation is what hooked me on SS"

The "Popeye Punch" is great, I still laugh at it. Make sure to add + To Hit powers to make sure it lands. The thing has a thing with me on missing when I really want it to connect.... (I figure it's Hami's revenge).

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

8 hours ago, Warboss said:

The "Popeye Punch" is great, I still laugh at it. Make sure to add + To Hit powers to make sure it lands. The thing has a thing with me on missing when I really want it to connect.... (I figure it's Hami's revenge).

I do enjoy it, though it is worth remembering both it and Foot Stomp have alternate animations.

1 hour ago, Erratic1 said:

I do enjoy it, though it is worth remembering both it and Foot Stomp have alternate animations.

Yeah, the double knuckle sandwich is pretty good for KoB and Punching the ground is fun for FS, but there's something to be said for the original animations.

• Thumbs Up 1

1st Tuesday-Excelsior

2nd Tuesday-Torchbearer

3rd Tuesday- Everlasting

4th Tuesday- Indomitable

11 hours ago, Warboss said:

Yeah, the double knuckle sandwich is pretty good for KoB and Punching the ground is fun for FS, but there's something to be said for the original animations.

Yeah, I like big boot and I cannot lie.   People who love punching the ground should be investing in the Mighy Radial line of Judgement powers.    Do this during a Scrapyard fight and send 32 striking workers into near Earth orbit!  Take THAT organized labor!

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Infinitum said:

Super strength. You never miss... And Smash. 

Whats not to love? 

The brief time where it also causes the mobs to never miss?

The problem with SS is that if you took away Rage, Knockout Blow and Foot Stomp, you would not miss the rest of the set. I have seen a lot of builds replace much of SS's attacks with the attacks from the fighting pool and be better for it.

The rage crash can really screw over certain armor sets.

• Like 1