Gadgetry & Utility Belt

Have these pools been forgotten?

Homecoming got Sorcery (magic origin) from the start, then Experimentation (science origin) and Force of Will (mutation origin) from very beginning.

But for some reason Gadgetry (technology origin) and Utility Belt (natural origin) still haven't been made until now.

It's not like some of my alts badly need these utility powerset. But generally Experimentation is pretty popular because of Adrenal power, and Gadgetry could be too because of self shield (+absorption), and Utility Belt got selfheal that increases in effectiveness the less hero has health points, thus l would like to remind that it's something could be made.

Also Rebirth server - l could point reworked Gadgetry (because obviously there is absent animation of shooting from the drone) - so its powers now fire from character hands and it called not "Blaster Drone", but "Plasma Gauntlet" or something (and its anim looks very likely to IDF Adds/Lore Pets hand plasma bolts).

Edited by Purrfekshawn
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

8 minutes ago, Purrfekshawn said:

Have these pools been forgotten?

No. More like deliberately avoided.

Many of the unique aspects of these powersets have been worked in elsewhere. 

Jetpack's Turbo Boost became Afterburner in the travel power revamp.

Freerunning's concepts and animations were worked in elsewhere. You have a similar power in Stealth Pool now, with respect to an enhanceable run/jump hybrid. Freerunning's animations are what the travel power customization for Blitz and Parkour use.

Life Support System can be found in the functionality of Sentinel Regen's Second Wind.

The only signature/unique power you don't really see is Force Barrier, and I get why. Click absorbs are very powerful in this game, and it might be a balancing concern to give everyone access to them (though personally I'd be fine with it).

Everything else is sort of already in the game and available. Not really bringing anything new with a blasting attack, and immobilize net, throwing dagger, etc.

I think this is why the Devs haven't brought those other powersets in.

16 minutes ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

I'm almost certain that Afterburner was on the live servers and both Gadgetry and Utility Belt were still in development afterwards.

I think that Gadgetry and Utility Belt are still in development now. I remember a post about the first page 7 test build where Gadgetry was accidentally available for players to select.

41 minutes ago, Major_Decoy said:

I'm almost certain that Afterburner was on the live servers and both Gadgetry and Utility Belt were still in development afterwards.

I think that Gadgetry and Utility Belt are still in development now. I remember a post about the first page 7 test build where Gadgetry was accidentally available for players to select.

Aferburner was added to the Flight pool in Issue 21 with the other travel power pool changes. The only origin power pool set on Live was Sorcery and it was a store purchase added in Issue 24.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

2 hours ago, Purrfekshawn said:

But for some reason Gadgetry (technology origin) and Utility Belt (natural origin) still haven't been made until now.

Maybe it's me, but both Gadgetry and Utility Belt seem like they would be tech origin.  I guess it depends on what's in the utility belt, but I always think Batman with utility belts and his is full of gadgets.

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2024 at 5:03 PM, TheMoneyMaker said:

Maybe it's me, but both Gadgetry and Utility Belt seem like they would be tech origin.  I guess it depends on what's in the utility belt, but I always think Batman with utility belts and his is full of gadgets.

Have you tried to pick Sorcery & Force of Will, for instance, together? You couldn't be able to do that, because these sets are tied to possible character Power origin - there's 5 of these and they're shown in any character view info window - Magic, Mutation, Natural, Science & Technology. Certain Titles are also available or not available because of your character Power origin selected during toon creation.

These 5 sets are origin-based, because you can pick only one of them (although it doesn't depend on your character origin), Sorcery obviously is tied to Magic, Experimentation - to Science, Force of Will - to Mutation. While Gadgetry would be Technology based, and Utility Belt - Natural.

A Natural character gets envenomed knife throw (didn't recall exact name) when toon is created, and Utility Belt has been planned to have envenomed dagger Cone AoE:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=pool.utility_belt.flying_kick

Also Athletics temporary speed boost looks way more natural-fitting, than any technology.

Edited by Purrfekshawn

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

1 hour ago, TheMoneyMaker said:

Gadgetry within game context would be tech in function.  It's likely to be more like Tony Stark revealing his watch transforms into an Iron Man glove just in case he's attacked in civilian clothes, and that his glasses have an A.I. and H.U.D. display with A.R. controlling all his stuff.

Utility Belt, though I see your argument, would be more like pulling out a high-tensil strength thin cable and foldable grappling hook for climbing, or grabbing a few marble-sized smoke grenades or handful of caltrops from a belt pouch.  Yes, there's tech behind their creation, but not necessarily in their function.

Edited by Techwright

These have definitely not been forgotten (in fact they accidently enabled them on Brainstorm last month for a short while!) but they're not in any state for release.

Considering they're unfinished, I wouldn't expect what had been datamined to be what we get at this point, and that's okay, but getting more tech/natural origin stuff is always very welcome.

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

We already have a Natural Origin Power Pool in game, it's called the Fighting Pool.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

4 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

No. More like deliberately avoided.

Many of the unique aspects of these powersets have been worked in elsewhere. 

Freerunning's concepts and animations were worked in elsewhere. You have a similar power in Stealth Pool now, with respect to an enhanceable run/jump hybrid. Freerunning's animations are what the travel power customization for Blitz and Parkour use.

Life Support System can be found in the functionality of Sentinel Regen's Second Wind.

The only signature/unique power you don't really see is Force Barrier, and I get why. Click absorbs are very powerful in this game, and it might be a balancing concern to give everyone access to them (though personally I'd be fine with it).

Everything else is sort of already in the game and available. Not really bringing anything new with a blasting attack, and immobilize net, throwing dagger, etc.

I think this is why the Devs haven't brought those other powersets in.

Interesting points. However, you say a lot of the elements from these pools are already in game. So what? Many powers are just re-hashing old powers. 

I'd like to see these items added as they add a new wrinkle and option to making toons. I am a little surprised they haven't been added - they seem pretty easy to implement even if they may need some slight adjustments.

I'm pretty sure the main thing holding those pools back is art. HC doesn't have full-time artists working for them, and it takes time to model and animate FX, then import those assets into a very old game engine. Gadgetry sounds like it has a lot of fairly unique power animations like drone swarm attacks. You can't just conjure that up instantly.

I agree, the naysayers are very odd in these threads why would you not want more options? Just how almost all power sets do not look like magic unless you mean dark magic. There are obviously things planned in live that never came like elemental which was going to be released at some point and it looks like magic.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, TheMoneyMaker said:

50ft of paracord, Swiss Army knife, torch, bandages, cigarettes, lighter, tinder & sparks for fire, compass, condoms, pen and non-water soluble paper, mylar blanket etc... Utility belt for a natural character.

They are what you wish them to be in the moment.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

9 hours ago, TheMoneyMaker said:

A sword is Tech origin. It is a lever. A gun is science, it uses chemical fuel to propel a projectile.

9 hours ago, TheMoneyMaker said:

It's certainly a fine-line, but from my perspective, if it is mainly the user doing the thing, then it's natural, whereas if it's more about the device doing the thing, then it's tech.  As you say, though, a lot depends upon what said utiltiy belt contains...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

50ft of paracord, Swiss Army knife, torch, bandages, cigarettes, lighter, tinder & sparks for fire, compass, condoms, pen and non-water soluble paper, mylar blanket etc... Utility belt for a natural character.

Shoot, A fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff. - Major Kong

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 3/13/2024 at 10:01 AM, Purrfekshawn said:

Have you tried to pick Sorcery & Willpower, for instance, together? You couldn't be able to do that, because these sets are tied to possible character Power origin - there's 5 of these and they're shown in any character view info window - Magic, Mutation, Natural, Science & Technology. Certain Titles are also available or not available because of your character Power origin selected during toon creation.

These 5 sets are origin-based, because you can pick only one of them (although it doesn't depend on your character origin), Sorcery obviously is tied to Magic, Experimentation - to Science, Willpower - to Mutation. While Gadgetry would be Technology based, and Utility Belt - Natural.

A Natural character gets envenomed knife throw (didn't recall exact name) when toon is created, and Utility Belt has been planned to have envenomed dagger Cone AoE:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=pool.utility_belt.flying_kick

Also Athletics temporary speed boost looks way more natural-fitting, than any technology.

Willpower and Force of Will are different things. Sorcery and Willpower work just fine together.