Give All Melee Attacks on All ATs the 50% Tanker Radius Buffs

The following isn't my idea, but I liked it, and I'm posting it here with the permission of the person who came up with the idea.

I think that most of us can agree that Tankers have outclassed Brutes since Issue 26 Page 4 launched in January 2020, when Tankers were (over)buffed.  There is one way to help fix this, and help fix melee in general as well:  Give the 50% AoE and cone radius buffs Tankers received in Issue 26 Page 4 to all melee attacks on all ATs.

Why not just Brutes?

The range of most melee attacks in City of Heroes is two meters.  In addition the game has player collision and is capable of extreme movement.

The range of melee attacks in Final Fantasy XIV is three meters.  In addition the game has no player collision and is capable of high movement.

The range of melee attacks in Star Wars: The Old Republic is four meters.  In addition the game has no player collision, but has low movement.

The range of melee attacks in World of Warcraft is five meters.  In addition the game has no player collision and has fairly high movement consistently.

Giving the 50% AoE and cone radius buffs to all melee attacks would make melee attack powers more comparable with other MMORPGs and feel better.  There would be less having to work around jittery player collision that you don't have to deal with in other MMORPGs.  Trying to hit multiple mobs with a targeted cone (that is currently limited to seven feet), would be substantially easier.  It would also close the gap somewhat between Brutes and Tankers, without primarily becoming a benefit for farming as there would be no target cap raise to go with it.

• Like 8

This would be very welcome imo, whenever I am running an MSR, Hami, COP and we get teleported to the boss it is annoying trying to push past people to get within that melee space (COP espically) To the point it feels like we have little T-Rex arms and we just can't reach 😄 

• Like 1

Wait wait wait, you mean standardization amongst the melee classes, with supporting evidence from cited sources? What a thoughtful, straight-forward and balance-minded concept, which means the devs won't do it but I think its a great idea nonetheless. Good luck storming the trenches, LR! o7

Stay True, Stay Blue.

CoHForumSignatureBanner_i21_296x62_CoalitionText_Size12.jpg.c03eb0b3911f764e8955e6f95f302974.jpg

Yeah this would be a neat buff for melee classes if it was also ported to PvP. 

I know it's comic book logic, but how is punching a bad guy that is (2 meters) six feet away considered melee range? I can see using a weapon and that range seems reasonable, but punching with fists?? And how is Knockout Blow considered a melee attack at 13.2 feet!?

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

7 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

I know it's comic book logic, but how is punching a bad guy that is (2 meters) six feet away considered melee range? I can see using a weapon and that range seems reasonable, but punching with fists?? And how is Knockout Blow considered a melee attack at 13.2 feet!?

It's less comic book logic and more the inevitable reality of compromises made to support melee and range design within a reasonable budget (extremely frugal budget in the case of CoH). Range attacks in all video games are much shorter than make sense. 

Edited by Sunsette

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

1 minute ago, Sunsette said:

It's less comic book logic and more the inevitable reality of compromises made to support melee and range design within a reasonable budget (extreme budget in the case of CoH). Range attacks in all video games are much shorter than make sense. 

What is the shortest ranged attack distance? 40ft? 

What is the longest melee attack distance? 13ft?

Seems like there is room for Melee to expand in my opinion.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

1 minute ago, Glacier Peak said:

What is the shortest ranged attack distance? 40ft? 

What is the longest melee attack distance? 13ft?

Seems like there is room for Melee to expand in my opinion.

Something like that, yeah. Hence the idea.

In WoW, some classes have longer than normal range at melee despite not having any magical powers and this is attributed to them just being very fast and acrobatic enough to move back into position. If WoW makes it another twenty years I could see the animations even keeping up with this idea.

(Genuinely, positively surprised this got so much positive response!)

irregulars book logo noby white.png

Sundered Marches: The Website | The Official Soundtrack!

3 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Yeah this would be a neat buff for melee classes if it was also ported to PvP. 

the force of your punch is so strong it travels through the air and still impacts opponents

the speed of your punch is so fast it creates vibrations which travel through the air still doing damage

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

i think it is important to really highlight that last bit of info in your post -- with this suggestion, tankers would still uniquely have a larger target cap on most buttons.

big support for this.  the 7-8 foot melee cones available are absolutely awful in multiplayer -- you are LUCKY to consistently hit more than 2 targets.  for pbaoe attacks, i might give some pause towards standardizing all of them at 12-15 foot radius but... as a baseline... any pbaoe button smaller than 10 foot feels awful.

• Like 3