Wrong game version repeats

Troo

Posted (edited)

@Lunar Ronin yes.

And it's not that simple. We have folks with a wide range of computer specs and capabilities. A heavily modded setup might require extra work to change launchers.

This computer somehow has three separate installs all from Homecoming. /City of Heroes, /HC, /Homecoming.. it can be as clear as mud sometimes.

@GM Crumpet I did test the new launcher and can use it. Tequila seems to boot me from the game less often.. sooo... whatdayawantmetosay "I am change resistant" 🙂

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

3 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

We advertise it, have it on the getting started page and talk about it all the time with a link to download it https://manifest.cohhc.gg/launcher/hcinstall.exe whenever anyone asks about Tequila. I think some people just like to stick to the familiar. I know a few people who won't change something because it works and they don't want to learn a new thing. My friend refuses to give up Windows 98 🙂 

Eh, I still have ISOs for DOS 6.22, Win 3.11, MacOS 10x - Current, etc...so there's that 😛

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Banjo 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

The launcher now works just as it did. Just had to be patient.

Thanks @Cipher for letting us know about the delay for those not using the HC Launcher yet.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

11 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

We advertise it, have it on the getting started page and talk about it all the time with a link to download it https://manifest.cohhc.gg/launcher/hcinstall.exe whenever anyone asks about Tequila. I think some people just like to stick to the familiar. I know a few people who won't change something because it works and they don't want to learn a new thing. My friend refuses to give up Windows 98 🙂 

I honestly rarely even remember this site exists, and usually come here to try to check the patch notes at times, then give up after scrolling and scrolling and scrolling through ancient patch notes and ultimately giving up.

11 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

All I remember of that manifest thing on the Tequila launcher (I have since switched) was that is was just a single thing that can be selected in a drop down list, but I can't recall ever being able to do anything with it...do Download button or anything.

11 hours ago, Lunar Ronin said:

This whole thing is just telling me that Homecoming really needs to work on advertising the Homecoming launcher to people, probably with an in-game pop up message.  I'm honestly shocked by how many people aren't using it.

I'd never heard of it until this morning.  And I rarely ever visit these forums.  I don't think I even have this place bookmarked.

9 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Eh, I still have ISOs for DOS 6.22, Win 3.11, MacOS 10x - Current, etc...so there's that 😛

I think I still have a home built DOS 7.something or other bootable CD stowed away somewhere.  It was put together from the underlying DOS that Windows 98SE rides on.  I hope to eventually put together a "high end" WfW 3.11 box with it one of these days.  Also still finding myself having a strange fascination with CP/M and CP/M-86.

• Game Master
23 hours ago, Troo said:

@Lunar Ronin yes.

And it's not that simple. We have folks with a wide range of computer specs and capabilities. A heavily modded setup might require extra work to change launchers.

This computer somehow has three separate installs all from Homecoming. /City of Heroes, /HC, /Homecoming.. it can be as clear as mud sometimes.

@GM Crumpet I did test the new launcher and can use it. Tequila seems to boot me from the game less often.. sooo... whatdayawantmetosay "I am change resistant" 🙂

Maybe hit the "reset graphics on next run" in the options. It's a bit of a catch-all as it does a few back end things when it checks for clashes

Or buy a new PC....... 😛 

13 hours ago, Ravenplume said:

I'd never heard of it until this morning.  And I rarely ever visit these forums.  I don't think I even have this place bookmarked.

The launcher has been advertised for quite a while and is even part of essentially ALL of the "How to get started" type posts (including the official one of course). Those that have been around for a while (and likely don't lurk much) are probably the ones being hung up on Tequila. Either way, as was mentioned ages ago, the HC Launcher has been the officially pushed thing to use for probably the better part of the last few years about when it was figured out that Tequila lost support.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

1 hour ago, GM Crumpet said:

Maybe hit the "reset graphics on next run" in the options. It's a bit of a catch-all as it does a few back end things when it checks for clashes

Or buy a new PC....... 😛 

Now now, we're not Supposed to be encouraging expenditures 😉

• Haha 1

• Game Master

And speaking to the clever people on the GM team, rebooting your PC often fixes it, and opening options and revalidate/verify if a reboot doesn't work

On 4/30/2024 at 12:55 PM, GM Crumpet said:

Well, people who have the game installed and working pretty much just use it as is and aren’t aware that a new launcher was even created. A current player doesn’t see the  new Homecoming launcher in the forums because they’re not a new player and don’t need to download the game. Everything is working fine. No need to look for a new app. 

Reaching out to current players with an in game email, adding a one line reoccurring announcement to switch to the new launcher on the MOTD splash screen on login, or any number of other ways to reach people would help. Players who rarely interact with the forums never see the announcements there.  

8 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Or buy a new PC....... 😛 

7 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

rebooting your PC often fixes it, and opening options and revalidate/verify if a reboot doesn't work

Or I'll just stick with the launcher that works until all the bugs are ironed out of the new one. ( modus operandi )

8 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

This I will keep in mind.

Thanks again for the quick reply to be patient.

• Game Master
45 minutes ago, Troo said:

Or I'll just stick with the launcher that works until all the bugs are ironed out of the new one. ( modus operandi )

This I will keep in mind.

Thanks again for the quick reply to be patient.

Well Tequila will be dropped completely sooner or later, which is why we are pushing the launcher as much as we can. Even now, because of the way the file system has been changed binds and macros have problems on Tequila and often don't save so reset to default when you zone. I'm not a technical person, I just know what people like Number Six tell me (usually in short words with pictures 😛 )

• Haha 1

• Game Master
4 hours ago, BlackSpectre said:

Well, people who have the game installed and working pretty much just use it as is and aren’t aware that a new launcher was even created. A current player doesn’t see the  new Homecoming launcher in the forums because they’re not a new player and don’t need to download the game. Everything is working fine. No need to look for a new app. 

Reaching out to current players with an in game email, adding a one line reoccurring announcement to switch to the new launcher on the MOTD splash screen on login, or any number of other ways to reach people would help. Players who rarely interact with the forums never see the announcements there.  

You do have a point. I can't say as I don't know, but I would assume that will happen when we do finally drop Tequila permanently

12 hours ago, Troo said:

I haven't seen any prevalent bugs with the HC Launcher, where Tequila keeps spawning these threads.    Only compelling one I saw was one that the new launcher didn't work with, but I wonder how old that system was.   I was running the HC Launcher on a 2012 laptop running windows 7 that I wound up switching to linux.  At which point, I had to do odd stuff with the nvidia driver, but nothing directly pertaining to HC.

• Microphone 1

To continue with dispelling the misinformation posted in this thread, the Official Homecoming Launcher is not new, it's been around for over three years. It's been supported by the Homecoming Team longer than Tequila ever was.

There are no bugs that need worked out - it was beta tested almost four years ago. As I said on the first page of this thread, the Official Homecoming Launcher is faster than Tequila in getting updates, much more secure than Tequila, and its more compatible than Tequila with other operating systems. 

And to continue on 'getting the word out' - the announcement of the Official Homecoming Launcher was put out through all Official channels when it debuted over three years ago. It's continually recommended on every Official channel by the Homecoming Team every time a new patch or update comes out for folks to switch. If players choose not to observe announcements from those Official channels, that's their prerogative.

(If there is a new player, they are directed to the Official Homecoming Launcher from the start, for the past threec years).

If players have made the conscious choice NOT to use the Official Homecoming Launcher since it was launched over three years ago, that's their prerogative. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 4/30/2024 at 9:39 PM, Lunar Ronin said:

This whole thing is just telling me that Homecoming really needs to work on advertising the Homecoming launcher to people, probably with an in-game pop up message.  I'm honestly shocked by how many people aren't using it.

Well my tequila has done great jobs since many years so I did not feel the necessity to stop using it.
Anyway now I've changed to HC launcher so it's ok.
Unfortunately it does not work the same way tequila did :(  I can only log once, whereas it was easy on tequila to use my two accounts simultaneously. How can we do the same with this officila launcher ? 

25 minutes ago, VULCAN said:

Well my tequila has done great jobs since many years so I did not feel the necessity to stop using it.
Unfortunately it does not work the same way tequila did 😞 I can only log once, whereas it was easy on tequila to use my two accounts simultaneously. How can we do the same with this officila launcher ? 

Settings and check the box 'Allow mutiple instances'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Kismet

@KlSMET - (kLsmet)

@Kismette

@Kismet Angel/@Angel of Fate/@One Kismet - on live

Heroes on Guardian/Villains on Victory

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, VULCAN said:

Unfortunately it does not work the same way tequila did 😞 I can only log once, whereas it was easy on tequila to use my two accounts simultaneously. How can we do the same with this officila launcher ? 

image.png.379d0076aa2cde54ef00002c3fe69ff1.png

image.png.2d0e9e04068531bad832fb5510c5000c.png

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

• Game Master
13 hours ago, VULCAN said:

THANKS GUYS 🙂

image.png.b0d38742c41f22def80948036374f395.png

It's a common question that flummoxes a lot of people. If it was me I'd have had it as multiple instances on by default, but Six must have had a good reason to set it up like that when he wrote it

• Thumbs Up 1

• City Council
On 5/3/2024 at 4:54 AM, GM Crumpet said:

It's a common question that flummoxes a lot of people. If it was me I'd have had it as multiple instances on by default, but Six must have had a good reason to set it up like that when he wrote it

1. Back in the tequila days it was a common support issue for updates to fail because someone accidentally clicked on the launch button too many times and ended up running 2 copies of the game, not realizing it, and the second copy still being in the background and preventing files from being replaced.

2. Multiboxing is the exception, not the norm, therefore the default should be set for the majority of players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Game Master
7 hours ago, Number Six said:

1. Back in the tequila days it was a common support issue for updates to fail because someone accidentally clicked on the launch button too many times and ended up running 2 copies of the game, not realizing it, and the second copy still being in the background and preventing files from being replaced.

2. Multiboxing is the exception, not the norm, therefore the default should be set for the majority of players.

I did say you must have had a good reason to set it up that way 🙂

I'd never thought of it like that, but it makes perfect sense