Mac 64-bit

Ringu

The shortly-to-be-released Mac OS Catalina will not run 32-bit programs.

Currently, we get a warning on Mojave systems, but can allow them to run.

In about two months, those of us who have to use their Macs for work purposes and have to upgrade OS, will be locked out of playing CoH again.

The only way I can think of to prevent this is to use an emulator running Mojave, but it's clunky, expensive, and may not work properly with the emulator getting in the way of the game.

So in this light, is it possible we'd ever see a 64-bit client...?

*edit: Homecoming Team have announced that it's better for no Mac users to have access, rather than for them to maintain the 32-bit version for Mac any more, even if we do find a way to keep running the current OS.  Island Rum is being discontinued, and we Mac users are basically screwed.

I'd recommend spending a couple hundred bucks on an old PC clone that will run the game flawlessly.  Check your local traders page on FB, or visit a thrift store.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

Is there an x64 VM you can load up Windows in?

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

But wait a minute, I've always heard from Mac users that Macs are superior to PCs... what you're telling me doesn't make any sense.

#cheapshot

Sorry. Genuinely sorry that's happening to you. Please forgive the shot, I have to get my jabs in where I can. My roommate is just "Mac Mac Mac Mac MAAAAC" all day long.

I'd lookin into BootCamp and dual-loading Windows and MacOS.

Failing in that, maybe see if Parallels would support 3D gaming.

Failing that, invest in a cheap Windows box and put a cheap video card in.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

From what I hear, CodeWeavers is working on a solution for Crossover that might provide a path for supporting this. Crossover is not a free product (although there is a trial), but like Wine it is an emulator. So it doesn't require a Windows license.

Of course, with a Windows license, any number of virtual instance programs (e.g. VirtualBox) would let you run Windows without having to back into Bootcamp - though not sure how good graphics support would be.

Thanks for the suggestions all; so far, the only reliable solution is indeed bootcamp running windows, but since we have to reboot the mac and end up only running windows that way, it's not very viable for 'working macs' which need access to email etc. throughout the day.

The emulators, as I mentioned, are a possibility but I see from the other thread that was linked that so far they either don't work or don't work properly, so it seems unless I want to stop earning a living or somehow set up another machine in my environment, I'm out of luck

:-(

You and I drew very different conclusions from the situation.

For me, Island Rum works fine right now. Catalina isn't out yet and even when it is, I don't have to upgrade immediately.

Do I believe CodeWeavers will have support ready in Crossover before Catalina launches? I don't know ... I don't use Crossover today, but I have used it in the past. It is a good product with pretty passionate developers who seem to believe they can deliver. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

In the meantime, Island Rum is a very reliable solution.

Just to throw this out there, but with the right amount of adjustments you Could install a minimalistic version of a pre-OSX 15 os as a 2nd bootable partition and Then use it for either just the game or other 32bit apps. Now with a Mac you Will need a 3rd party app to partition the drive And you'll have to make sure you are careful in the future with any drive level modifications, but this will allow you to keep yourself "pure Mac" (if that's your thing) and not have to deal with the occasional Bootcamp rebuild issues I've read about.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Just to throw this out there, but with the right amount of adjustments you Could install a minimalistic version of a pre-OSX 15 os as a 2nd bootable partition and Then use it for either just the game or other 32bit apps.

Unfortunately, Homecoming Team have decided that it's better to not allow any Mac user access instead of continuing to support the 32-bit version.  They've said that no more effort will go into making sure WINE works, and Island Rum for Mac will be discontinued.

So, no, this won't work :-(

For me, Island Rum works fine right now.

Right up until Homecoming Team said that it's better to stop allowing Mac users access, and that Island Rum will be discontinued rather than kept up-to-date in a 32-bit version.

Catalina isn't out yet and even when it is, I don't have to upgrade immediately.

Unfortunately, some of us do.

Do I believe CodeWeavers will have support ready in Crossover before Catalina launches? I don't know ... I don't use Crossover today, but I have used it in the past. It is a good product with pretty passionate developers who seem to believe they can deliver. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

Doesn't matter if they do.  Homecoming Team are not going to update the 32-bit WINE version any more, deeming that a better option.

In the meantime, Island Rum is a very reliable solution.

As I said to begin with, for about two months.  And then bye-bye.

• City Council

I would note that Manga is not a member of the Homecoming Team in any capacity, to my knowledge, and is speaking solely for himself as the developer of Island Rum and the preeminent CoH Mac guru. If you have a problem with how he's handling the situation with 10.15 (and he is working on a solution, as you well know, given that you've posted twice in his thread), I would suggest taking it up with him. We have, to my knowledge, very little to do with it.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

I would note that Manga is not a member of the Homecoming Team

My humble apologies for the misattribution; I mistook Manga's post as being news from Homecoming Team.  I understand now that isn't the case.

@Manga, I *deeply* appreciate the work you've done in getting Island Rum to us Mac users, and also this latest effort to find a constant path going forward.

I do, however, think that dropping support for Island Rum is a much worse option for us Mac users if you can't find an alternative; some people may be able to find an option to use a pre-Catalina OS more easily than finding a PC or Windows setup, and it seems just wrong to cut off all Mac access in that case.

I will still be cut off either way, as my work requires me to update to Catalina on day 1, (ok, they'd actually prefer me to do it beforehand so I can ensure compatibility of our software before Catalina's official release, but I am holding them back on that score), but I'd ask you to reconsider your actions for the others who aren't forced into it.

I do, however, think that dropping support for Island Rum is a much worse option for us Mac users if you can't find an alternative; some people may be able to find an option to use a pre-Catalina OS more easily than finding a PC or Windows setup, and it seems just wrong to cut off all Mac access in that case.

I'm currently using Island Rum on a 2011 iMac that has "topped out" on OSX upgrades already at 10.13.6 and cannot "advance" any higher due to hardware vintage/limitations (until I buy a replacement computer).  In that context, Island Rum is working just fine and dandy for me and will continue to do so long after Catalina drops and the mass migration to it begins.  Just as an FYI.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I'm currently using Island Rum on a 2011 iMac that has "topped out" on OSX upgrades already at 10.13.6 and cannot "advance" any higher due to hardware vintage/limitations (until I buy a replacement computer).  In that context, Island Rum is working just fine and dandy for me and will continue to do so long after Catalina drops and the mass migration to it begins.  Just as an FYI.

That's exactly my point, Redlynne - Manga, the developer of Island Rum, has said that when Catalina releases, he will discontinue all versions of Island Rum, and I think that's a bad option.

And I have a G4 Sawtooth that dual boots 9.22 / Leopard that was purchased in part to play a game series that have since been upgraded (wrapped) to work on modern systems. It's all a matter of perspective and investment. :p

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

And I have a G4 Sawtooth that dual boots 9.22 / Leopard that was purchased in part to play a game series that have since been upgraded (wrapped) to work on modern systems. It's all a matter of perspective and investment. :p

...except that all these machines will lose the ability to run CoH when Catalina releases, regardless of what macOS you're running.

The only current solution going forward, is to get a PC.  Apart from the cost and difficulty in integrating that into my current Mac setup, I simply don't have the physical room.

That's exactly my point, Redlynne - Manga, the developer of Island Rum, has said that when Catalina releases, he will discontinue all versions of Island Rum, and I think that's a bad option.

Discontinue doesn't mean that it'll all suddenly disappear or stop working. Yes, losing future development support is a downside, but those who Can run it right now using existing versions will Still be able to run it long after Apple gets around to OSX 10.20 for that matter.

There's a lot of negativity in these Mac threads that is unnecessary and I fear that it's enough to push people away when things aren't as downhill as it seems right now.

...except that all these machines will lose the ability to run CoH when Catalina releases, regardless of what macOS you're running.

What exactly makes you think this? That's like saying that a WinXP game would no longer run ON WinXP just because they released WinME...

If there's something I'm missing here please post the technical details about it so that it can be discussed.

What exactly makes you think this? That's like saying that a WinXP game would no longer run ON WinXP just because they released WinME...

If there's something I'm missing here please post the technical details about it so that it can be discussed.

This post from Manga, the developer of Island Rum, where he says that he's going to discontinue it when Catalina releases, means exactly this.

Because Island Rum gets updated to handle new versions of the CoH client, this will no longer happen, and the CoH servers will not accept a client that isn't updated.  Hence, no access.  At all.

So the current plan is, as of the final release of macOS 10.15, the Mac client will have to be discontinued, and the Mac version of Island Rum will have to be discontinued as well.

Because Island Rum gets updated to handle new versions of the CoH client, this will no longer happen, and the CoH servers will not accept a client that isn't updated.  Hence, no access.  At all.

Ok, this is the link I was missing in the chain then. I didn't realize the app was such that it had to be modified each time that the client was updated. So not just a standard game wrapper which Shouldn't have been affected by an OS change. Got it.

I'm assuming this is where you were posting from.

Yes, to both parts of that.

I don't have the details of what gets updated how often, or if it's a task someone else could take on, but I'd love, for the sake of everyone else, it continues.

I'm aware that I pretty much have no hope currently, I'm now just trying to preserve this final option.

• City Council

I'm not totally certain about this, but judging by how the files in the Island Rum download haven't been updated since March of 2018, I'd guess that IR itself is static. IR uses a manifest, much like Tequila, to update CoH, and that's something we control, not Manga. It does not to my knowledge, which is admittedly limited, get updated every time the game needs updating, and the Mac experts I talked to agree with me in this judgment. This isn't going to help you out very much, Ringu, since you're going to be stuck with 10.15, but people who don't want to update to 10.15 should be able to continue playing as they have thus far.

"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!