Another “Reckless” Yin

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

Also, trying to ask someone who is misusing a power in CoH to do anything different seems to be the grandest insult on their family honor they have ever heard.

Pretty much. If I'm running crowd control, and FS comes out, I learn to wait for it before laying down anything. Best use of it I saw was by a tank, who approached mobs in the same manner every time. I just trailed, waited for them to gather, then dropped everything once it was moved. Got it down to a science after a bit. That tank was a tank's tank. He ran a couple of different toons, switching out during the run. Don't know the global, but the first names of each were "Jabs." That player was awesome.

• Like 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Excraft said:

I have a genuine question here.  If you're having bad PUG experiences, then maybe try something different like teaming with people you already know?  Or quitting the TF and forming one of your own?  Joining random teams is a mixed bag and everyone has a different way of enjoying the game.  If you're finding yourself on teams that aren't to your liking, then move on and create teams yourself.  You can control what you do, you can't control what others do. 

Excellent idea. I would say that it hasn't happened enough to put me off randos. A vast majority of teams are great. This one just got under my skin. I haven't reached the Snarky level of bad luck. Yet.:-)

Edited by cranebump
  • Haha 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, cranebump said:

Excellent idea. I would say that it hasn't happened enough to put me off randos. A vast majority of teams are great. This one just got under my skin. I haven't reached the Snarky level of bad luck. Yet.:-)

It is volume.  95% of MoMs I run are smooth.  The one I just ran?  We did finish.  With less than 1 min before force quit/fail.  People flew when there were damage patches being thrown at us.  so, invisible in the air killing zones.  DPS was light.  No one could figure how to taunt storm voids.  We had 3 purple AT troll/dom yet there was NO hold/immob on the 3 races to the center and we failed 2 of those.  During last battle we stalled at 58% health.  Thankfully we got it done.  Oh, and heals existed but they were way light.  I think the entire league went heavy into the new "lets six slot brawl and sprint, it's what min/maxer do for 4 star content" philosophy...

Edited by Snarky
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ukase said:

You don't seriously expect me to give Snarky material for the forums, do you? 

In all seriousness, Snarky is a great teammate when you're on discord. He doesn't enjoy my jokes, which is why he's invaluable. I thrive on his suffering. 

I've never teamed with him. I genuinely enjoy his input on the forums but I can imagine he'd be a right royal PITA to team with if the mood took him so! 🤣

• Haha 1

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

6 minutes ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

I've never teamed with him. I genuinely enjoy his input on the forums but I can imagine he'd be a right royal PITA to team with if the mood took him so! 🤣

Well, I am decent if I stay focused.  I try to help the team.  Like, If I see 1-2 who have gotten in over their heads I zip over and try to help.  Lately I am on a fire blaster a lot.  Biggest issue I noticed is in market crashes.  Even on +4 he kills so fast I am 1-2 spawns farther on before the Freaks rez.  .... i have heard complaints ....

• Finland 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Well, I am decent if I stay focused.  I try to help the team.  Like, If I see 1-2 who have gotten in over their heads I zip over and try to help.  Lately I am on a fire blaster a lot.  Biggest issue I noticed is in market crashes.  Even on +4 he kills so fast I am 1-2 spawns farther on before the Freaks rez.  .... i have heard complaints ....

Hey this happened with my Fire/Atomic back in the day! I even got 2 people to quit the team and my own family who I play with asked me to stop killing so fast because it was starting to piss off the other team members and they were worried they’d all quit.*

Fire sure is fun huh

My own fire*3 is built for 4 Star damage so..I mean…imagine the fire atomic but well..more. Its modeled after the best players in the game’s fire blasters but it falls short as I made my own tweaks and need to respec it. Still does great though. Thats the beauty of Fire*3. It can be made to feel powerful even with odd building.

*This is not to sidebar the thread or toot my own horn. I was thinking I was being helpful in teams by doing this and thus making the mishs faster but now that I look at it I may have been playing like those asshat tanks minus the tank role. Sure I was killing pretty quickly and holding my own for the most part, but I was making the experience worse for everyone else. Which is why now I try and make absolutely sure everyone is doing alright and only then after a few groups do I go slightly ahead of the team. I never go ahead on my tanks because your whole job is to…well, TANK.

Edited by Seed22
  • Like 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 5/29/2024 at 10:47 PM, cranebump said:

how much he enjoyed the “reckless”nature of it.”

How dare he play the way he wants and enjoy it.  None of that should be happening here.  This is important work we're doing here.

• Thumbs Down 2

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

@cranebump

Despite thinking "The Magnificent Asshole" sounds like a funny toon name. The player behind it sounds like a n00b for running by objectives. It's one thing for a player to rush ahead, especially if they are benefitting the team by completing objectives, but it sounds like they weren't even doing that.

Did the team leader not trying to reign in the tanks/PB (especially if others on the team were dying)? 

• Like 1

The situation described in the OP reads as one of the worst stories of Yin Mayhem, specifically:

On 5/29/2024 at 11:47 PM, cranebump said:

First mish: we engage first mob holding hostages, and they leave squishy support types to finish off the rezzing purple Freak tanks. At one point, there are only 2 of us, so I have to inform everyone there’s still hostages back here. We get a bit of help, but our soloists do the same thing with subsequent mobs, so I end up on the clean up crew again, trying to, you know, complete the actual mission objectives. Once inside the po-po station, the Magnificent Asshole tank (who has evidently joined this team to smell his own musk) runs off again. He is joined by a Peacebringer who becomes his Magnficent Shadow.

I don't mind a "reckless Yin", but the Hostages (and later Council Members and Raid Leaders) are the mission objectives. As much as I can enjoy significant amounts of aggro in the Yin TF, there really is no excuse IMO for a teammate to be "running ahead" while there is still a mission objective to be achieved. The Mission Tooltip (and dialogue) let everyone know when a specific mission objective has been completed, so even the most locked button mashers should know, including if there are Freakshow rezzes in play.

I'm less inclined to agree with the sentiment in:

On 5/29/2024 at 11:47 PM, cranebump said:

Of the last dozen or so Yins I’ve been on, I’d say fully a third of them have had someone click the reactor room glowies while the big end fight was not under control. It seems to actually be a thing. I would therefore like to request that such runs be advertised in some way. I’d prefer to call it a “dumbass douchebag run,” but “reckless” will do.

On every Yin TF I play, I have a very good sense if the Team can handle a quick respawn. Maybe not every player on a well-performing can handle it... but by the point we reach the reactor room I have watched how the various ATs have been playing, and how they are leveraging their powers and positioning. If squishies are being sloppy with AoE... yeah, maybe we shouldn't quickly reinvite Clamor to the party. If we've got some well-performing players leveraging controls against the Bosses... we can probably handle Clamor. I have come to believe that there is a significant fraction of players who don't realize that Clamor applies Radiation Infection. The player that gets hit with that toggle, really needs to make sure they aren't dooming the rest of their squad via their positioning.

Of the two spawns prior to Clamor's reappearance, I think the one in the Reactor room is the more problematic, because that spawn will scatter (fliers, rezzes). The Hallway spawn has to make a rather restricted path that has a couple of choke points... a single player can tie them up... I prefer to use the "cooling belt" room, some players think the "vestibule" is better.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cranebump said:

makes me the focus of the issue, rather than the behavior that incited my response

You are responsible for your reaction.  You are responsible for your own happiness.  It's true, you cannot control others, but you can control how you respond to them.  If I had been in your shoes, I probably would've left after that first mission and saved myself all that frustration.  If I join a team, I do so under the implicit expectation that the team will actually play like a team; when it doesn't, I no longer feel any obligation to remain.  That said, if a team that plays like a team wipes all night I'll stick it out.

I do find it funny your entire OP is laced with vulgar name-calling based solely on peoples' playstyles.  But somehow we're supposed to take your side when you start off your post being extremely unlikable.

18 hours ago, cranebump said:

Anyway, you seem to want to win an argument here, so I'll just concede on all points.

Shed that persecution complex, friend, you'll be a *lot* happier in life.  If you didn't want to discuss, you shouldn't have posted on a discussion board.  Try writing in a journal next time you want to vent without any dissent.

• Thumbs Down 2

3 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

How dare he play the way he wants and enjoy it.  None of that should be happening here.  This is important work we're doing here.

We all play this game for our own enjoyment, but understanding that when you join a team, it's not JUST about you anymore is kind of the difference between an adult and... a Magnificent Asshole! 😈

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Microphone 1

Given the responses and the story of the OP and that it was specific to Everlasting, I would say that this was pretty typical role playing from the TF and carried onto the forums.

So.... grats?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

Well, aren’t you…”Maginificent”

• Haha 1

Random player joins random group and random activities ensue. Meanwhile in other news players get mad about other people enjoying things they don't. Tune in for more.

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Microphone 1

6 hours ago, ZemX said:

We all play this game for our own enjoyment, but understanding that when you join a team, it's not JUST about you anymore is kind of the difference between an adult and... a Magnificent Asshole! 😈

The fact that people, especially in this thread, don’t understand that provesa point I’ve been making for awhile now; This community is actually WORSE than WoW, or at least equally as bad. Well, the forums community is for sure. 

I’ll get downvoted but I really don’t care. I see a shovel I call it a shovel. 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Thumbs Up 1

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

13 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Shed that persecution complex, friend, you'll be a *lot* happier in life.  If you didn't want to discuss, you shouldn't have posted on a discussion board.  Try writing in a journal next time you want to vent without any dissent.

I did respond to your points in a civil, discussion-type manner. I conceded that I could have spoken up more forcefully. Twice, I think (though, again, I don't think it'd have made a difference, because my other messages to the team were ignored by the soloists). I fervently think there should be some consideration to your team members when you're, you know, playing on a team. Judging from what you wrote, below, I think you somewhat agree with me on that. Of course, I DID use some, er, "colorful language" to describe the whole. I think it's fair to call that out as overwrought. I was more annoyed than angry, but I can see how my tone was completely more the latter than the former. So that's on me. That said...there really was some douche baggery going on there. And not for the first time (especially the reactor room fiasco). My takeaway is to ask how we're approaching the reactor glowies when I get signals early on that this may be one of those teams. At least I'll know where to position myself when the tsunami comes.

14 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

You are responsible for your reaction.  You are responsible for your own happiness.  It's true, you cannot control others, but you can control how you respond to them.  If I had been in your shoes, I probably would've left after that first mission and saved myself all that frustration.  If I join a team, I do so under the implicit expectation that the team will actually play like a team; when it doesn't, I no longer feel any obligation to remain.  That said, if a team that plays like a team wipes all night I'll stick it out.

Agreed. But I feel like diving off the team would pretty much make me the thing I was venting about -- a crappy teammate. I just don't dive off any team unless there's people being abusive toward others (especially the team lead). So if I'd called out what I saw using anything close to the language I employed above I'd, again, just be turning into what I don't want to be. I should mention that most of the team was fine. Unfortunately, those were the people stuck playing free safety. And who got faceplanted in the reactor room. On the whole, it wasn't the best experience for us squishies at the end. If I'm totally honest, though, I've seen worse (I think we all have). I'm just seeing that reactor glowie activation/ambush thing more often lately. And the fact it was fine for the solo tank that our "reckless" approach might not've been good for the majority of the group just rubbed me the wrong way. It seemed self-absorbed (or at least clueless).

By the way "persecution complex?" Bit much for what was essentially a plain ol' rant. Think I still have a ways to go to reach persecution status. But maybe a few more "reckless Yins...":-)

15 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

@cranebump

Despite thinking "The Magnificent Asshole" sounds like a funny toon name. The player behind it sounds like a n00b for running by objectives. It's one thing for a player to rush ahead, especially if they are benefitting the team by completing objectives, but it sounds like they weren't even doing that.

Did the team leader not trying to reign in the tanks/PB (especially if others on the team were dying)? 

No, they didn't. They ended up doing clean-up crew a lot (with me). Maybe we did have some noobs. Thought about asking early on (when I pointed out the bypassed objectives). Wish I had. 

7 hours ago, vibal said:

Random player joins random group and random activities ensue. Meanwhile in other news players get mad about other people enjoying things they don't. Tune in for more.

True. We should've all just laid back and enjoyed the faceplanting while the tank was giggling away, unscathed. And not targeting Clamor.:-/

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Seed22 said:

The fact that people, especially in this thread, don’t understand that provesa point I’ve been making for awhile now; This community is actually WORSE than WoW, or at least equally as bad. Well, the forums community is for sure. 

I’ll get downvoted but I really don’t care. I see a shovel I call it a shovel. 🤷🏾‍♂️

I'm not gonna downvote you, but you're dead wrong on that.  This community is one of the best of any game anywhere.  You've got bad apples anywhere.  This topic (however you feel about it), doesn't make the players worse than WoW players.

Edited by Triumphant
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Triumphant said:

I'm not gonna downvote you, but you're dead wrong on that.  This community is one of the best of any game anywhere.  You've got bad apples anywhere.  This topic (however you feel about it), doesn't make the players worse than WoW players.

I disagree on this being the best community of all gaming communities. There’s nothing really too special with this one in my opinion to make it the best. Being cordial for simple interactions isn’t THAT rare as people here will make it out to be in other communities. Plenty are civil.

I base my assessment off of how people’s opinions have been met on these forums(not very civil in a lot of instances) and of course the favorite thing that CoH players love to pretend doesn’t exist; General Chat. 

Yeah. For “some bad apples” it sure seems EXTREMELY common and consistently toxic and vitriolic. Especially on Everlasting, I’ve experienced quite a bit of regular toxicity.

*That doesn’t mean I think EVERY single person on CoH is toxic and terrible. I’m simply stating that it comes across as haughty and delusional in my eyes to claim the community is so much better and above alternatives when its really not.

Its at least to me similar to other communities; you have your helpful bunch, and vitriolic toxic cesspool like everyone else. A funny thing is we have reverse toxicity in the form of casuals having been toxic to minmaxers about builds and being called “elitist” for wanting to make the best toon possible(I have literally seen this multiple times over the years). 

So yeah. I may have been hyperbolic about saying the community is worse than WoW. Its just a different version of WoW is what I should have said

Edited by Seed22

@Seed22 I'll agree that you've got some bad apples here.  I will also agree that General Chat can be a toxic mudhole, where other muckrakers' go to find one another and, for this reason, I typically edit/remove general chat out of my chat box whenever I make a new character.  But general chat seems to be where most of those types of players gather in pretty much any kind of game, so that's where you are going to find the most abrasive players.  That's true of anywhere you go on planet earth and an unavoidable side-effect of interfacing with other members of the human species.  But a great many of us play here on this old game, even in preference to playing on newer games, because we feel the player base is of a completely different kind than those we encounter on other games.  That's a statement of subjective personal experience, sure- and you're perfectly entitled to have a different opinion about it (your experience is your experience).  What makes this game notably different for me, is that when you get the General Chat bozos causing trouble in a PUG, other members of your team will typically take them to task for their douchebaggery and have your back if they give you any trouble.  Team leaders will often not tolerate such behavior and will kick abusive players from the team.  There is (IMO) a spirit of 'we look out for one another and take care of each other here' that I just haven't found in other gaming communities.

I mean, it could even be a sample size bias thing.  Maybe games with a larger player base have a correspondingly larger number of jerks that make the players of those games seem more unpleasant, when they really aren't.  I don't know what the actual explanation is, I just know that people have (over all) a very different vibe here than they do on other games that I've tried.

Now, having said that, don't misunderstand:  There are some forum members here that can occasionally push my buttons (And sometimes, I may have that effect on others myself- albeit unintentionally.  Personalities are personalities.  Sometimes they clash).  I try not to let that distort my view of the player base as a whole, though (or, for the most part, even those players that push my buttons.  Maybe they just have a very different personality type than I do.  Maybe they're just having an off day.  Etc.).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cranebump said:

True. We should've all just laid back and enjoyed the faceplanting while the tank was giggling away, unscathed. And not targeting Clamor.:-/

Just responding to your general stance. You have full control over how you spend your time in game. If you're frustrated at mob 1, mission 1, you are fully capable and able to just.... leave. Form a group if you want to do a sweep through. Advertise it as such. They fill all day everyday. Should the lead have advertised speed? Sure. I suppose. Doesn't sound like you communicated what you wanted either and they filled.

You still get xp while downed and presumably you didn't donate the merits to charity. I always click the comps in that room because its hilarious and I play toons that can handle it >shrug< The only time it's gotten weepy is from players on the floor. Can't say i recall a time that I failed that tf because it's stone easy.

The lead is no more obligated to turn a 15 minute tf into an hour long slog than you are obligated to stay. It can even be >gasp< polite. Instead you took your rage fingers to the forums to post this screed.

• Thumbs Down 1

5 minutes ago, vibal said:

Just responding to your general stance. You have full control over how you spend your time in game. If you're frustrated at mob 1, mission 1, you are fully capable and able to just.... leave. Form a group if you want to do a sweep through. Advertise it as such. They fill all day everyday. Should the lead have advertised speed? Sure. I suppose. Doesn't sound like you communicated what you wanted either and they filled.

You still get xp while downed and presumably you didn't donate the merits to charity. I always click the comps in that room because its hilarious and I play toons that can handle it >shrug< The only time it's gotten weepy is from players on the floor. Can't say i recall a time that I failed that tf because it's stone easy.

The lead is no more obligated to turn a 15 minute tf into an hour long slog than you are obligated to stay. It can even be >gasp< polite. Instead you took your rage fingers to the forums to post this screed.

Think you may have misread the OP

It wasn’t the leader who initiated and tried to turn it into a speed run.  It was Magnificent A-Hole The Tank.

• Like 1