The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Played 20 years ago, I'd love to find some similarly aged folks to play with?

evanweb

Any supergroup open to tolerating an old school CoH player (I'm 40) who remembers next to nothing about the game and is still figuring out what the hell he's doing? Got a couple toons up to the mid 20's, honestly spent most of my time so far with the game just obsessively making new characters.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Even though I have a solo SG and my bases are under construction, I would like to help you out. I am an old school player myself from 2004 and came back earlier this year thereafter hearing about the license announcement between HC and NCSOFT. While I am relearning stuff, I would like to share some knowledge. I am just focusing on making my characters stronger and making more influence, though you can feel free to contact me.

• Like 1

Join "Everlasting TFs" channel.  Start networking with others.   There are a lot of us from the early CoH days.   I'm a completely random player right now, too many RL things going on, so been doing a lot of solo stuff lately, but occasionally will do a string of stuff with a couple others from the old days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lemming said:

Join "Everlasting TFs" channel.  Start networking with others.   There are a lot of us from the early CoH days.   I'm a completely random player right now, too many RL things going on, so been doing a lot of solo stuff lately, but occasionally will do a string of stuff with a couple others from the old days.

Yeah, that makes sense. I appreciate it.

Other than relearning stuff, I am learning about the regulars (such as who is who), base building, etc. on Everlasting. I have built bases back when CoH was live before, but not like Dacy and other talented builders making people awestruck with their limitless creativity. It’s cool seeing people from early CoH days. The same can be said about new people playing CoH too.

I feel the same way. I have been focusing on myself, but can see myself doing stuff with people when time’s right.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 5:00 PM, evanweb said:

old school CoH player (I'm 40)

You'll find that Many of us "resemble that remark" X.X

• Microphone 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

LOL yeah, I can't figure many people under 30 are playing CoH. I'm having a blast so far even with just pickups. Thank you guys for the replies.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Np. CoH has a wondrous and welcoming community.

Not sure if you got an SG invitation from Scourge btw, Evan. That is if you’re still looking for an SG. I am doing my own thing, but it’s never say never for me. Still learning about the Everlasting server and suchlike.

• Like 1

Any supergroup open to tolerating an old school CoH player (I'm 40)

From where I'm I am age-wise,  you are one of the younger players.

I'm good playing with anyone that wants to enjoy creating characters and playing the game (leveling characters by playing them instead of being power-levelled).

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I'm in my mid 40's, welcome to the community! You'll find lots of different kinds of game play on Everlasting for sure. Roleplayers do tend to gather here as an unofficial roleplaying server but we always love seeing returning players from live! I was often the quiet sort back on live, I'm a bit more vocal these days and try to guide new roleplayers whenever I am able. If you ever see mentions of the Roleplayers Workshop or Welcome Wagons, feel free to drop on by, we share a lot of great tips to help players settling right in and shaking off the rust! 🙂

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

From where I'm I am age-wise,  you are one of the younger players.

I'm good playing with anyone that wants to enjoy creating characters and playing the game (leveling characters by playing them instead of being power-levelled).

Hey, I get to be "the young one" again, I'm game! Yeah, I'm just playing and building characters that are more thematic than following some particular build. The most fun I ever had back in the day was playing on the RP server for a tick. I'm still feeling everything out, lots of acronyms I'm still sussing out, lol. So many acronyms! I have a blaster called Buff Mentallo that I'm playing most often if anyone sees me on, HMU.

13 minutes ago, evanweb said:

Yeah, I'm just playing and building characters that are more thematic than following some particular build.

I'm a character conception player as well.

14 minutes ago, evanweb said:

I have a blaster called Buff Mentallo that I'm playing most often if anyone sees me on, HMU.

I play at weird times, and I jump around servers (all of them), but, hopefully, we will team up some time. I do mostly PuG'ing so no telling what teams I'll be on or which teams I'll be leading.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Based on my name, I am easy to find on Everlasting.

I have certain characters that actually do regular content without PLing and farming myself. As in enjoying the ride and experiencing the game to the fullest. Back on live, I had some 50s by constantly doing story arcs and TFs.

I did read on here before that in order to learn your character, do story arcs (experience the game to the fullest) and you will see for yourself on what needs to be worked on and etc. That is what I did when I came back earlier this year to relearn how my Brute plays. Even teaming with people who have returned are very knowledgeable. 

What I love about this game is that there is no right or wrong way to enjoy playing this game. You do you. 

On 6/28/2024 at 4:00 PM, evanweb said:

Any supergroup open to tolerating an old school CoH player (I'm 40) who remembers next to nothing about the game and is still figuring out what the hell he's doing? Got a couple toons up to the mid 20's, honestly spent most of my time so far with the game just obsessively making new characters.

Welcome Back! Yes there are many "Old school" plyers still playing. I played from issue 1. Please consider coming over the Excelsior server and join Sovereign sg or one of the coalition sg's!  Sovereign is a great Sg perfect for "old farts" and young heroes alike. Sovereign is the one of if not the largest sg's ( best imo) on City of heroes. very active, running content daily, many times hourly.  Great mix of players and playstyle's.  You can play as "hardcore" or casual as you like.  Friendly , funny, and welcoming!   You will not have to look hard to find a member to invite you..... we are EVERYWHERE!......cheers!

On 6/28/2024 at 4:00 PM, evanweb said:

honestly spent most of my time so far with the game just obsessively making new characters.

... wait... you mean there's more to the game than that?

• Haha 1

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

<- 40 year old combat vet that has played since Beta.

I play mostly on Everlasting, but dabble with some other servers for things like Tanker Tuesday, farming on a low pop servers, or occasionally goofing off on my own sandbox server.

At this point I've probably forgotten more than some learn, but over the last couple of years since becoming a dad, I am a lot more casual then I used to be. You can feel free to hit me up, as I often volunteer time to help people understand IO interactions and build theory so they can make their own builds in Mids.

Otherwise in-game I'm Grass in EverlastingTFs, and if I'm not running content I'm likely doing a TF, Hami raid, or if the stars align, some PvP.

On 7/1/2024 at 9:50 AM, evanweb said:

LOL yeah, I can't figure many people under 30 are playing CoH. I'm having a blast so far even with just pickups. Thank you guys for the replies.

I'm 28, turning 29 in August this year. I started playing COH in 2004 with my stepdad & older brother about a week after retail launch. I clearly remember downloading issue 1: Through The Looking Glass. I was 9 years old.

On 7/2/2024 at 2:03 AM, Crystal Dragon said:

I'm in my mid 40's, welcome to the community! You'll find lots of different kinds of game play on Everlasting for sure. Roleplayers do tend to gather here as an unofficial roleplaying server but we always love seeing returning players from live! I was often the quiet sort back on live, I'm a bit more vocal these days and try to guide new roleplayers whenever I am able. If you ever see mentions of the Roleplayers Workshop or Welcome Wagons, feel free to drop on by, we share a lot of great tips to help players settling right in and shaking off the rust! 🙂

I enjoy being apart of the Everlasting server, especially the part about it being the unofficial RP server and seeing the random RP MTs during irregular hours. My characters made the server into their home.

I used to RP somewhere else. Let’s just say that tribalism, pessimism, homophobia, and suchlike (anything

correlating with negativity) became an eyesore, hence me rediscovering CoH and the wondrous community.

I'm just stopping by to say you have Beta Ray Bill avatar, and you're a fine, upstanding citizen. 

Welcome, another older player here--stopped counting at 50.

Beta in the OG, played for some time, went back and forth from Wow, left Wow came back to COH, started a SG with a buddy, finally got a char to 50.  Then City of Villains came out and was in the game for about another 6 months or so, then RL called and other games, wanted to come back around the time the game was shutting down, and then I heard of Homecoming.  It's been great to come back and work on my Sentinel and Brute chars, never got to test them out in the past, so right now Im back to where I left off, having a great time, community is great  /help is awesome as well.

• 3 weeks later