The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Focused Feedback: New Power Customization Options

• Developer

Power Customization

Energy Mastery:

• Laser Beam Sweep alt animation/fx for Energy Torrent (only applies to versions of Energy Mastery with Laser Beam Eyes).

Teleport:

• The following customization options have been added to the Teleport / Combat Teleport customization offerings:
    • Goop (Tintable)

Customization Adjustments

• Added ability to color the power customization of the following Teleport / Combat Teleport options:
    • Smoke Bomb (Tintable)
    • Rikti (Original + Tintable)
    • Tornado (Tintable)
    • Murder of Crows (Tintable)
  • Like 1

• Cobalt Arachne changed the title to Focused Feedback: New Power Customization Options

I know it's a small thing, but I absolutely love the new Laser Beam Sweep animation for Energy Torrent!  It looks great, and I hope we see more alternate animations done in this style.  Was not sure if I was going to go with Energy or Leviathan on my Brute build but after seeing this it's Energy 100%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have very little to say on this, save that I DEEPLY desire to see eye beams animations made into alternates for beam rifle and energy blast in the future. I need more ocular blast powers.

Edited by Videra
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Videra said:

I have very little to say on this, save that I DEEPLY desire to see eye beams animations made into alternates for beam rifle and energy blast in the future. I need more ocular blast powers.

100% this, new main potential if that ever becomes reality.

So, in my brief testing, the eye beam animation (which looks amazing, btw!) has a couple issues.

First, it animates a bit slowly compared to the timing on the rest of the power. I've had dudes flying back before even getting hit.

Secondly, the enemy will randomly spark and emit a sound effect much like the laser eye sweep a few moments after being hit. A left over from the beam rifle fx?

I absolutely love the goop customization option, but it appears to have minute issues.
In combat teleport, the goop effect activates so late that it just sort of lingers behind you after you do a teleport. It looks very strange.
In both versions, the fact that the goop does not completely cover your character when you disappear or reappear also looks strange. You just blink in and out of existence displaced behind where the goop spawns.
The goop seems like it either needs to be scaled up bigger, better centered (the teleport animation moves your character backward outside of their normal hitbox like /e kneel or other similar animations, which in this case takes you outside the goop effect) or alternatively your character needs to totally vanish when you use it with some variety of transparency (moreso than the usual teleport animation).

Edit: additional thoughts
I went on the painful search to find mirror spirit and force her to use her teleport power (she does not want to) to explore what I thought was the origin of the animation/fx. Looks correct!
When she uses it, she instead uses the ninja hand gesture animation, centering her character to disappear inside the goop. She also disappears before the goop does. The goop on her version is also scaled much larger than her, allowing her to disappear completely inside of it. Her version also has some extra flair specific to her backstory, but that's neither here nor there. Any one of those changes sounds near impossible to implement on an alternate-animation player power, but they make the power visually work!

Edited by Awilix
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any chance of porting this customizing to the Translocation power in Mystic Flight?

That Murder of Crows would look great while flying!

Edit:  Something to add

The Goop really needs to scale with your hero's size.  It's funny watching the goop only come up to 1/2 way on a super huge character.

Edited by Tacheyon
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Force Redux said:

I've only known mirror spirit as a trainer in new fault line. Is she available in any kind of mission as an NPC?

You fight her if you're a Villain. I think it was a St. Martial story arc if I remember correctly. 

• Thanks 1

• Developer
On 7/12/2024 at 10:32 AM, Glacier Peak said:

You fight her if you're a Villain. I think it was a St. Martial story arc if I remember correctly. 

As far as I know, she's only available to be fought in a single one of Scirocco's Patron missions or randomly as the hero that spawns in Mayhem Missions if you get an AV-rank Hero.

EDIT: Apparently she also appears in Mr. G (Primal)'s arc; TIL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

In my case, I used AE to summon Mirror Spirit as an enemy and an ally and watched her use her old-fashioned souped-up goop teleport while fighting herself. She has a really unique, fascinating powerset because of some weird stuff about the Korean release of City of Heroes that looks as good as modern released powersets despite her age. Which is why I imagine someone wanted to take her cool teleport for us to use!

But that's unrelated!
Actual feedback:  I noticed that the goop animation didn't seem to play sometimes. It was unhelpfully hard to predictably recreate. More concrete: the increased height of the goop effect just seems to have it blorp up overtop your head without solving any of the issues in my original post. It still just seems to happen adjacent to your character, who remains visible for the effect and awkwardly poofs to the teleport target. It covers slightly more of you, but the particular pose of your character in the teleport animation at minimum shows off your feet and head and it's even worse if you have wings or a cape or any other meaningful protrusion.
I experimented with the other teleports to see if these were common problems and aside from combat teleport maybe being too fast for the Rikti Portal FX too, it was not an issue. These more shapeless FXes like a smoke poof or a billion crows more easily incorporate your character, whereas trying to use an actual physical object to 'move' you (the goop) seems noticeably more difficult to implement. Maybe a quicker, total translucency would help make it look like you slorp into the goop; it'd look just as good if it was stuck to the other special teleport animations too if you can only implement all-or-nothing. And I'm not sure anyone would miss the weird chest pump physical pose if it was less visible.

I can confirm that the tinting on the other teleports look great through that testing. It would appear the combat-teleport version of tintable smokebomb is not tintable. It remains unchanging standard white color. Though the normal teleport version will change when you adjust colors.

• Developer
On 7/14/2024 at 12:58 PM, Awilix said:

Actual feedback:

I'll look into playing around more with the Goop FX later; There's some things I haven't tried, that might be worth figuring out to use here.

On 7/14/2024 at 12:58 PM, Awilix said:

It would appear the combat-teleport version of tintable smokebomb is not tintable.

I'll check on this too.

• Thanks 1

Love this game and its community? Want to give back? Volunteer as a Game Master! Help make Homecoming the best it can be!

Writer of the Patch Notes

Red side, best side!

Absolutely love the Laser Beam Sweep, however when hovering and using it your character's head doesn't move with the animation, so the beam starts off to the far right before sweeping over by itself while your character remains stiff. Any chance Electron Haze in Rad Blast or Energy Torrent in energy blast can get the same option or is it a range issue with the animation?

Experimentation > Speed of Sound > Jaunt seems to be missing from the teleportation customisation options

Likewise, I'd love to see the Jaunt animation to be available for combat teleport, with and without FX

• Microphone 1

7 hours ago, Alchemystic said:

Experimentation > Speed of Sound > Jaunt seems to be missing from the teleportation customisation options

Likewise, I'd love to see the Jaunt animation to be available for combat teleport, with and without FX

I think both Jaunt and Translocate use their own unique teleport animation that are tied to the animation time(?)

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

I think both Jaunt and Translocate use their own unique teleport animation that are tied to the animation time(?)

Ah, so it's not available on Translocate either?

It'd be great if these options went over to these other Teleport pool powers too, hopefully the animation time isn't too much an issue

• Developer
On 7/16/2024 at 9:29 AM, MagicalAct said:

Absolutely love the Laser Beam Sweep, however when hovering and using it your character's head doesn't move with the animation, so the beam starts off to the far right before sweeping over by itself while your character remains stiff.

Looked into the flying animation oddity; unfortunately the problem stems from the fact that there is no aerial version of the animation, so it's going to default to the typical flying laser beam eyes animation.

13 hours ago, ViridianDev said:

Looked into the flying animation oddity; unfortunately the problem stems from the fact that there is no aerial version of the animation, so it's going to default to the typical flying laser beam eyes animation.

Aw, bummer, but thank you for looking into it and the response. 

Also if it's possible to make, but l would also love to get Energy Torrent recolor - "Power Breath". What it would look like - it's you know - Supes's Heat Vision and Frost Breath came with him too. Right in CoH, however, the power would not deal Ice damage, but be colored icy-blue, and push away/knockdown such as Energy Torrent does, it's just recolor. Maybe with Energy crackle effect too. Just breath.

This also would be awesome for the Dragon theme - color it fiery-orange & pretend it's fire breath. Or release power breath in several varierties - energy-ish, fire-ish and ice-ish.

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/