New server locations?

Does anyone know where the new server(s) will be located? As a person playing from Asia, I'm very hopeful that the new servers (Victory, possibly Paragon) will be located on the west coast as that will improve my latency dramatically.

• Finland 1

4 hours ago, Phanto said:

Does anyone know where the new server(s) will be located? As a person playing from Asia, I'm very hopeful that the new servers (Victory, possibly Paragon) will be located on the west coast as that will improve my latency dramatically.

My understanding is that the "servers" except for Reunion are all running on a single physical server.

Adding an additional physical server in another location would probably increase Homecomings costs to heading on 25-30% would be my guess.

Honestly, if they added another one, I would say put it in Australia, but I don't know how many players there are around your side of the planet would play/support Homecoming. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, Phanto said:

Victory/Paragon aren't new servers.

• Like 2
  • Finland 1

1 hour ago, Triumphant said:

They're going to add new servers?  🤔  I must have missed an announcement.  🤷‍♂️

Me, too, though that's not saying much.  I miss a lot of details in the announcements.

@Phanto: would you be so kind as to point us to your source of information?

Other than improved performance in the "eastern" parts of our globe,  I'm puzzled why another server would be added, as we've servers still at lower populations.

• Finland 1

54 minutes ago, Techwright said:

I'm puzzled why another server would be added, as we've servers still at lower populations.

There are only two actual servers.

One in North America somewhere that "houses" all the "servers"/shards except for Reunion.

Reunion is on a server running in Europe somewhere.

Victory its own thing, and I have no information on them other than they were supposed to be added as a "server"/shard, and I had been assuming that would be on the same server in North America as the 4 "servers"/shards that are on that server.

I don't know where the post is, but I had a discussion in a thread with a DEV that was talking about merging "servers"/shards.

I'll see if I can find it without taking up too much time with search-fu.

• Thumbs Up 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

1 hour ago, Techwright said:

I'm puzzled why another server would be added, as we've servers still at lower populations.

Yeah, found it...

Number Six uses the term "The map cluster" instead of server, but I think I was essentially saying the same thing.

Homecoming pays for use of space on that one server/server farm/"map cluster" for all the "servers"/shards except for Reunion.

6 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Yeah, found it...

Number Six uses the term "The map cluster" instead of server, but I think I was essentially saying the same thing.

Homecoming pays for use of space on that one server/server farm/"map cluster" for all the "servers"/shards except for Reunion.

So I goofed in saying "server" rather than "shard" (I knew better, but was using a common slang for shard among many on these forums), but wouldn't that make the "Victory" in the OP's post a shard, rather than a server?  And why "Victory" when it was a shard of the original game?  Victory is mentioned briefly in that 2020 thread you linked to, but in passing, and in regards to the OG Victory.  I'm curious to know where the current Victory is mentioned, if there actually is one in the works.

• Finland 1

3 hours ago, Techwright said:

So I goofed in saying "server" rather than "shard" (I knew better, but was using a common slang for shard among many on these forums), but wouldn't that make the "Victory" in the OP's post a shard, rather than a server?  And why "Victory" when it was a shard of the original game?  Victory is mentioned briefly in that 2020 thread you linked to, but in passing, and in regards to the OG Victory.  I'm curious to know where the current Victory is mentioned, if there actually is one in the works.

Victory is a server using the Homecoming code started by two former Victory server players from live, named after their original server.  The reborn Victory server is actually a day older than Torchbearer.  One of the those two that started the reborn Victory server is Michiyo, one of the City Council here.  The plan has been to merge Victory in with the other Homecoming shards and have Victory become the sixth shard of Homecoming.  There's been some delay, but it should still happen I imagine.

• Like 2
  • Finland 1

11 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

There are only two actual servers.

One in North America somewhere that "houses" all the "servers"/shards except for Reunion.

Reunion is on a server running in Europe somewhere.

The N.A. one is in Canada (maybe Toronto?  I forget).

The Europe one is in Frankfurt.

• Finland 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

14 hours ago, Techwright said:

My understanding is one of the private/pirate/secret servers is Victory, Homecoming as been working with them, and they were to be added instead of merged into an existing Homecoming shard.

I don't know why the people that set up private/pirate/secret servers named themselves what they did.

Okay, so on January 4th there was this announcement (the big one)

Then on January 17th there was this one:

which includes

"...

Victory + Paragon + Homecoming
As we mentioned in the announcement FAQ, we are working towards merging in some friendly servers - Victory and Paragon.

Victory will be joining us as our 6th live shard alongside Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting, Reunion and Indomitable. This will likely not take place for at least a couple of months as it’s a fairly complicated process, but we wanted to give you all a heads up so you aren’t surprised when it pops up!

For those of you involved in Closed Beta testing, this will all be moving to take place inside Homecoming’s infrastructure, instead of being hosted by Paragon. As part of this, we will be setting up a new, straightforward path to join the Closed Beta process...."

So Victory would become a 6th Shard.

I'm assuming the complication is moving the Victory Shard onto an existing server.

From what I can tell from a quick internet search, Victory's current location appears that it may be in the UK or the European Union.

Based on that, I would think that it would move onto the same physical server as Reunion.

The Paragon hosted shard appears to have been a test only server and would not be something added to Homecoming.

35 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

From what I can tell from a quick internet search, Victory's current location appears that it may be in the UK or the European Union.

Based on that, I would think that it would move onto the same physical server as Reunion.

Err, no.  Victory is located on the west coast of the United States.  It would be merged with the other four North American shards in Canada.

• Finland 1

22 minutes ago, Lunar Ronin said:

Err, no.  Victory is located on the west coast of the United States.  It would be merged with the other four North American shards in Canada.

Do you have a reference for that?

Taking the Victory server and placing it within Homecoming sounds like a herculean task; particularly arduous considering it's a volunteer staff. I can't imagine all the potential for things to go awry. 

• Finland 1

18 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

Sure.  Run a traceroute from your computer to cityofheroes.dev (the Victory server domain name).  It'll clearly show that it's on the west coast of the United States.

• Finland 1
  • Banjo 1
  • Microphone 1

Posted (edited)

So I got this news from the January 18th announcement which followed the official license.

image.thumb.png.99b32e6262e5781a0dd976ee9730e533.png

^ And this is the specific reference.

I'm just hoping they make it a West Coast server! My latency would drop from 250-300 to around 150-200!

Edited by Phanto

• City Council
12 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I can walk downstairs and poke Victory, and I'm on the west coast of the US.
image.thumb.png.6713137034539cc975556ba3c262bbb5.png

When Victory is brought over to HC It'll be in the same cluster as the other 4 NA servers on the East Coast of Canada.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• AAAARGH!  LOL. HOPING YA WERE ON EAST COAST US OR WEST EUROPE.  MY PING IS BETTER TO EUROPE THAN CANADA. ONLY 200 MILES FROM TOR AND MY PING IS LAGGING CAUSE GOES EAST THRU NJERSEY.
  • PING LOWER TO GO TO EU.  LOL.

PvP Capture the Flag!  Bring some fun into it....

4 hours ago, Michiyo said:

I can walk downstairs and poke Victory, and I'm on the west coast of the US.

Nice. Thanks, @Michiyo

Did it start in Europe?

or was it always on that server?

It would be interesting to have the history of Victory and Torchbearer in the wiki.

On 7/30/2024 at 4:02 AM, Phanto said:

As a person playing from Asia, I'm very hopeful that the new servers (Victory, possibly Paragon) will be located on the west coast as that will improve my latency dramatically.

4 hours ago, Michiyo said:

When Victory is brought over to HC It'll be in the same cluster as the other 4 NA servers on the East Coast of Canada.

As for Paragon, I'm sure you read:

4 hours ago, Phanto said:

So I got this news from the January 18th announcement which followed the official license.

17 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

"....For those of you involved in Closed Beta testing, this will all be moving to take place inside Homecoming’s infrastructure, instead of being hosted by Paragon. As part of this, we will be setting up a new, straightforward path to join the Closed Beta process...."

• City Council
10 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Nice. Thanks, @Michiyo

Did it start in Europe?

or was it always on that server?

It would be interesting to have the history of Victory and Torchbearer in the wiki.

Victory has always been here,  Originally I spun her up as a VM on my Desktop, then I moved her to an old Dell R815 (The 2nd server from the top in the above photo), then I gutted a HP DL380 g6, and built a 2nd gen ThreadRipper machine in the chassis.  But at all Times Victory was on a box running in my house.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Michiyo said:

Victory has always been here,  Originally I spun her up as a VM on my Desktop, then I moved her to an old Dell R815 (The 2nd server from the top in the above photo), then I gutted a HP DL380 g6, and built a 2nd gen ThreadRipper machine in the chassis.  But at all Times Victory was on a box running in my house.

Please, please, please keep it on the west coast! There are so many people who will have an easier time playing CoH if only there were a west coast server!

16 hours ago, Michiyo said:

But at all Times Victory was on a box running in my house.

Thanks for the info.

The internet gossip is just misinformation most of the time.

I should have known better than speculating based on one reddit thread.