Martial Combat Secondary

Ukase

So...I guess my obtuse nature didn't even notice this was a thing until yesterday. So, I made one. AR/Martial Combat. 

This is such a different kind of thing compared to the same old type of secondary with the toggle sustain powers. 

I don't know if I like it yet - but I do appreciate the different option. 
I see so many players wanting mez protection...and I have no recollection of anyone mentioning Inner Will. 

True, it's only good for 30 seconds, and the base recharge is 3 minutes. So, without external support, it's never going to be perma - and typically, with external support, you wouldn't need it to be perma. Still, this is an amazing thing for blasters with this secondary. 

Still need to carry a break free to be safe, but it beats a poke in the eye. 
The build in Combat Teleport is also interesting. It's called Burst of Speed. (it buffs damage, however, instead of ToHit)  I almost screwed up and took it as a substitute travel power, given its 200 foot range. But alas, the fine print said I could only use it 3x before it would need to recharge. Still, a nice option to have. I don't yet see the utility, but I'll try to find it if I can train my fingers to work properly. 

This is exciting for me - as it's new to me. I'm sure some have played these a dozen times before. I honestly don't know how I missed it. Or maybe my memory is fading. Either way, time to explore this powerset. 

5 minutes ago, Ukase said:

True, it's only good for 30 seconds, and the base recharge is 3 minutes. So, without external support, it's never going to be perma

Even with it down to the lowest recharge possible, it wouldn't really matter. It's condition-based activation, so you wouldn't be able to use it (like a perma mez protection click) unless at or below half HP, End, or if mezzed. If you slot it for a lot of recharge, I'm sure you'll feel like it's up when you really need it.

9 minutes ago, Ukase said:

I don't yet see the utility, but I'll try to find it if I can train my fingers to work properly. 

This power excels on Blast sets with melee AoE powers and/or nukes. That's one reason why DP/MC is a popular pairing. Going Fire/MC is also a nice treat; nothing says "Fire" like a damage-buffed Inferno.

I really should rework my MC chars to use Burst of Speed.   It is pretty good.

Inner Will is something I know some blasters use on Auto so that it fires if the char is held or below a health threshold.

12 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Even with it down to the lowest recharge possible, it wouldn't really matter. It's condition-based activation, so you wouldn't be able to use it (like a perma mez protection click) unless at or below half HP, End, or if mezzed. If you slot it for a lot of recharge, I'm sure you'll feel like it's up when you really need it.

This power excels on Blast sets with melee AoE powers and/or nukes. That's one reason why DP/MC is a popular pairing. Going Fire/MC is also a nice treat; nothing says "Fire" like a damage-buffed Inferno.

That will be the next combo I tried, as it seems to be a nifty way to use not just inferno but FSC as well. 
Kind of like jousting, just different keys - only a damage buff comes with it. 

I have historically stayed away from Martial solely because I don’t know what to do about Burst of Speed. I already take Teleport and Combat Teleport on my typical toons, and Burst of Speed is not quite the same as either. Then do I really want a third thing I have to set up a keybind for? If not, what’s the point in playing Martial without it? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

These are the questions that keep me up at night.

I'm kind of the opposite. Thus far, I've only taken Combat Teleport on one character - a dark/Mental blaster. I thought CT would be useful for zipping in for Drain psyche. It is - but it's also easier to just zip in with super speed, or even sprint, or neither. That is, I'm more used to doing it like that. I like the toHit buff, but it's not like I really need it with Focused Accuracy and a kismet 6% IO. I mean, does it really make sense to learn/relearn to do things differently when the other way works just fine? 

Still, having the option on Martial Combat without needing to take the tp pool is a nice option to have. It will let me play around with it without taking a power pool. Maybe the mechanic of using the keybind will catch on for my feeble fingers. 

32 minutes ago, arcane said:

I have historically stayed away from Martial solely because I don’t know what to do about Burst of Speed. I already take Teleport and Combat Teleport on my typical toons, and Burst of Speed is not quite the same as either. Then do I really want a third thing I have to set up a keybind for? If not, what’s the point in playing Martial without it? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Burst of speed can do a decent amount of damage.  I like to use a full Winter PBAOE set in it with the KD proc.  It's a great opener to other PBAOEs you might have and follow up with your kicks and attack chain.  

@Ukase  Being AR primary, you'll have little use for Burt of Speed since you will mostly want to be at range for your cones.  As mentioned above, /MC is better suited to those primaries best for blapping.  Earth/MC and Energy/MC are my two faves.  

5 minutes ago, Frozen Burn said:

you will mostly want to be at range for your cones.

This is why I don't take cones with an arc less than 45 degrees. Cones are about positioning; and in this day and age with folks using fold space, it can either be super easy if you time it right, or absolutely useless if you don't. 
Please don't get me started on my trigger word "blap" and all it's forms. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

I have Burst of Speed with 3x Blaster's Wrath (the Recharge pieces, including %Fire) and 3x %Damage. It is a reliable source of damage on top of popping into combat.

22 hours ago, Ukase said:

I see so many players wanting mez protection...and I have no recollection of anyone mentioning Inner Will

True, it's only good for 30 seconds, and the base recharge is 3 minutes. So, without external support, it's never going to be perma - and typically, with external support, you wouldn't need it to be perma. Still, this is an amazing thing for blasters with this secondary. 

I have Inner Will 2-slotted with Heal/Recharge, no set bonuses. This is the power I keep on Auto... sometimes it is "overkill' on the mezz recovery, many times it is not. I find that it is rather trivial to maximize Global recharge on Blasters without worrying about Hasten, I also picked up Rune of Protection as the backup mezz protection.

2 hours ago, arcane said:

As long as you're not looking to stealth in, Burst of Speed can replace Combat Teleport (and use the same keybind).

As the randomly-trigger self-buff Reach for the Limit has double Damage enhancement for Psychic and Toxic Damage, I thought it would be good to have more of them.  Thus, maybe a Psychic Blaster/Martial Combat Blaster?

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=temporary_powers.temporary_powers.reach_for_the_limit&at=blaster

17 hours ago, Uun said:

As long as you're not looking to stealth in, Burst of Speed can replace Combat Teleport (and use the same keybind).

This makes the most sense to me, although all it really nets me is Teleport Target because I’d still be getting Teleport/Fold Space on every one of my toons. Could be a fun change though. I have a Psychic/Martial I could reslot some day.

EDIT: I do also like the thought of proc bombing it though.

Edited by arcane

MC especially when paired with DP makes for an excellent playing toon.  Di Di Guns is my DP/MC Blaster and she is Glorious fun.  Smooth attack chains and IF she gets mezzed I do pop Inner Will but honestly, I rarely have to because of her defense and as a Blaster I have several powers I can still fire while mezzed (as you well know).  BoS is procced so unlike combat TP is got extra usability and killiness.  BoS is especially useful when tied to a target macro and I don't even bother using it to bounce out.  Such a Secksi attack chain against Mobs.

BoS (Target Macro) --> Hail of Bullets --> Dragon's Tail --> Eagles Claw the Boss --> BoS Twice (Via Target Macro) --> Back Flip to Clear Stragglers --> Dual Wild --> Bullet Rain = No More Mob (and that is if they weren't wiped before).  GD!  Its making me tingly just writing about it!

• Like 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

• 3 weeks later
On 8/10/2024 at 10:24 AM, High_Beam said:

BoS (Target Macro) --> Hail of Bullets --> Dragon's Tail --> Eagles Claw the Boss --> BoS Twice (Via Target Macro) --> Back Flip to Clear Stragglers --> Dual Wild --> Bullet Rain = No More Mob (and that is if they weren't wiped before).  GD!  It’s making me tingly just writing about it!

You forgot BoS to target>Ki Push>Executioners Shot kill while they are still in mid-air and flying backwards.

DP/MC just ooooooozes style.  Maybe more than any other pairings.  Whomever did the animations for MC and DP I headcanon got married and had a flock of beautiful babies together.  Because these two are just…..PB&J levels of meant to be together.  Seriously, any time I get bored of the game I roll out one of my various retired DP/MC builds (I’ve three now) and the poetic combat just gives me a rush for the game all over again!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Crysis said:

Seriously, any time I get bored of the game I roll out one of my various retired DP/MC builds (I’ve three now) and the poetic combat just gives me a rush for the game all over again!

Secksi never retires, it just goes on vacation to even more Secksier locations.

• Like 1
  • Microphone 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)