my Blasters listening to PUGs at door to 1st mission

I've not seen the film, but if I'm picking up on the scene's vibe, it reminds me of the OG game teams (before everyone's playing style changed and certain things became easier) when teammates started dropping and it looked like a team wipe was imminent.  One or two would stand ground fighting absolutely ferociously, accepting their eventual fall so that one teammate could get to the door, or perhaps another level, making certain that there could be no true team wipe.  Some of the most legendary fights erupted, and were sadly not recorded.  Even better was when one of the sacrificial defenders unexpectedly survived, dropping the last opponent while clinging to a few remaining health points.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Techwright said:

I've not seen the film, but if I'm picking up on the scene's vibe, it reminds me of the OG game teams (before everyone's playing style changed and certain things became easier) when teammates started dropping and it looked like a team wipe was imminent.  One or two would stand ground fighting absolutely ferociously, accepting their eventual fall so that one teammate could get to the door, or perhaps another level, making certain that there could be no true team wipe.  Some of the most legendary fights erupted, and were sadly not recorded.  Even better was when one of the sacrificial defenders unexpectedly survived, dropping the last opponent while clinging to a few remaining health points.

I ran a lot of Brutes back in the day.  I held many a tough room l.  Some epic times.  Now, I sort of do the same on Blasters.  But you have to flow so much faster lolol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1

5 hours ago, Techwright said:

I managed something like this back on Live with my Mind/Kin/Psi controller! Was on a team rolling through PI missions, when we got to the Clockwork King world. The Invuln and Fire tanks did NOT fare well (nor did half of the rest of the team), so I wound up tanking CK while the team got itself back together.

Funny thing, they seemed to be taking their sweet time, so I panned my camera around while waiting for Fulcrum Shift to animate, only to see the whole team standing on a nearby hill, cheering me on! Sadly, I was too busy trying to stay alive to actually do any damage, so I told them to get over here so we could commit regicide =)

But as you say, nothing was recorded =(

Edited by EmperorSteele
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Back on live, I pulled off something like this with my Ice/Ice Blaster in one of the Hollows missions in the Frostfire arc.  It was one of the office building maps where there's a tight stairwell that just leads to an upper landing that goes nowhere but down another stair to the same room.  Fighting Trolls, I managed to stay alive long enough after a mostly team-wipe for a couple of the dead to go to the hosp and make it back to the mission.  I ran my little metal butt off (my character was a repurposed mini-fridge that was given one of Citadel's back up "brains" and turned into a robot to help fill the hero shortage).  The rest of the team that didn't go to the hospital were cheering me on as I plinked and ran up and down the stairs trying to kite the mobs.  It was one of my finer moments in the game, especially on a PUG team.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Back the in day, Howling twilight made me feel like a god much more often than it does now.  3/4ths of the team is dead?  Howling Twilight.  Now they aren't.

Along with most people being more tanky now a days, it also doesn't help that self rezzes are a dime a dozen now.  Many times I can't even take the 2 seconds to cast a rez before the person pops back up on their own.  Why I never bother taking them unless they have other benefits like howling twilight does.

On the other hand, I'm surprised how often I still get to use vengeance on an average PuG.  There's usually still at least one person that manages to be not so sturdy or is just leveling up unslotted or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

On the other hand, I'm surprised how often I still get to use vengeance on an average PuG.  There's usually still at least one person that manages to be not so sturdy or is just leveling up unslotted or whatever.

My earthbender says "you're welcome". LOL.  I mentioned it elsewhere, but if you'd let the rest of the team know at start that you have Vengeance, folks like me would be grateful to know that up front and would likely wait a moment for it to be used.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

On Live I had a few friends and we’d play permadeath rules.  If defeated, you had to scrap the alt and roll again.  Only a few of us made it to 30, and only one made it to 50 (a Defender no less).  This was pre IO’s.

These days I have to really try to die during normal PVE missions.  Its just not much of a risk outside of * TF’s.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Crysis said:

On Live I had a few friends and we’d play permadeath rules.  If defeated, you had to scrap the alt and roll again.  Only a few of us made it to 30, and only one made it to 50 (a Defender no less).  This was pre IO’s.

These days I have to really try to die during normal PVE missions.  Its just not much of a risk outside of * TF’s.

I had some time off recently and ran a lot of TF/SF/Trials.  In the Posi 1 especially there was a definite on/off switch.  Some teams did great...others....oh man.  

I'm starting to suspect that there's code in the game to give @Snarky such "interesting" PUG experiences.

• Like 1

There are days when a bad PUG experience is the best challenge setting.

• Like 3
  • Microphone 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

The only Easy PUG was yesterPUG . . . yeah I am grasping, I know.  I haven't eaten all day.

• Banjo 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)