Snipers overlooking PvE "safe zones"

OEM61

Not players.

No, players are understandable.

But I just hit 30 and had a mission to go into Crey's Folly and, well, the enemies near the "safe zone" are tough to deal with.

Most are orange+, and what yellows I have found come in large groups, often containing orange+ enemies as well, so I have been doing a lot of hitting-and-running.

But there is a Crey Special Agent Sharpshooter north of the "safe zone" perched on top of a building sniping away.

He's got 6 levels on me.  I am not really in a position to charge up there and fight him.

In the meantime, anyone that goes running back to the safe zone ends up getting shot, and as soon as you respawn in the "hospital"?  Yep.  You get shot again and have to find some cover.

So I don't expect a GM to de-spawn him or anything, I don't expect any other players to run in and take him out while I am there.

I would, however, like to see some safeguards put in place to keep NPC snipers from spawning in spots that overlook these supposed "safe areas" in PvE zones, hazard zone or not.

Avoid Founders' Falls.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

The Crey faction pretty much runs on having cheap powers that ignore stuff and overtuned mobs in general - it's an entire enemy group made of fake difficulty. 

But poor design choices made by the OG devs shouldn't deny people access to a whole zone.  At the very least, aggro ranges need some sort of hardcap so you're not getting randomly pasted with nothing visible onscreen.

Crey are an truly nasty corporation - and yes they put special snipers in unexpected areas and you learn the hard way that they are out there. They start appearing in Crey's Folly but are also in Founder's Fall (where they are joined by Nemesis ditto) and Peregrine Island.

It doesn't have to and should not have to change - it's part of the game, part of the lore - they are out there and they want to get you.

And they don't "deny you access to a whole zone" they just add some unexpected difficulty. Deal with it.

It's not me saying that they are denying access to a whole zone, but I think that snipers shouldn't be taking potshots at people in the hospital area.

The first thing to happen to you after you respawn shouldn't be "get shot by the sniper".

Crey is fine.  Snipers are fine, and they need an aggro range to match their attack range to really work as snipers at all.

Zero problem with any of that.

But I am not a fan of snipers spawning to where they can, and do, shoot into the hospitals in the hazard zones.

I don't know how much work is involved here, but either creating a "no sniper spawn bubble" just larger then sniper range around the entry area or stacking the sandbags higher so they can't draw a line of fire or something to prevent this would be nice.

As my alt-itis has finally given way a bit my heroes are now regularly in this level range and playing around these zones. I have yet to be hit by a single sniper. I remember them being a real problem in FF on live,but now zero. And the same in Crey's. I was quite surprised when I saw this thread. Frankly, I'd love to run into the buggers for some variety of zone-design content.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

Heh. Not just hazard zones.

"Turrets" in the Rogue Isles. My main villain was doing the missions to foil the dastardly plans of the other characters in that Dr. Graves storyline, and I had to go talk to Dollface. There was a purple-to-me Family mob that aggro'd on me and killed me while I was trying to talk to Dollface. That's when I discovered that there are Turrets positioned on the direct line between the Hospital and Dollface.

So I'm getting tagged by a turret flying back to Dollface, and when I finally get back to her, that purple Family guy is just pacing back and forth next to her and won't go away. Meanwhile, that turret is still sniping at me from a ridiculous distance. I had to give up and come back later.

Heh. Not just hazard zones.

The game has always had a gleeful disregard for the likely level of a character when it comes to the placement of mission objectives.  If you arrive in Port Oakes at level 6 and get Drea the Hook as your broker then good luck running the gauntlet of +3 mobs in Dockside to reach him.  Likewise the trip to either of the subs for the first mayhem can be similarly alarming if you pick it up too early.

Or you could swim, I suppose.

I rather like it - it keeps things interesting and there's always travel powers for those who want to use them.  The one that does strike me as a bit mean though is Kings Row.  Following the original levelling route - i.e. do your City Hall contact but not Twinshot or Habashy - you'll be sent to KR around level 5 or 6 and every mob around the monorail station will be at least +3 to you.  Still, I guess it does mean that new arrivals will learn the location of the hospital quite quickly.

The game has always had a gleeful disregard for the likely level of a character when it comes to the placement of mission objectives.  If you arrive in Port Oakes at level 6 and get Drea the Hook as your broker then good luck running the gauntlet of +3 mobs in Dockside to reach him.  Likewise the trip to either of the subs for the first mayhem can be similarly alarming if you pick it up too early.

Or the "The security chief for Perez Park has asked for you by name" mission you can get around level 5-6, which invariably sends you into the woods after Circle of Thorns, who appear in spawns of 5-8, usually with a Madness Mage to help speed up your trip to the hospital. Nothing like being perma-held while you're carved into hamburger.

Not players.

No, players are understandable.

But I just hit 30 and had a mission to go into Crey's Folly and, well, the enemies near the "safe zone" are tough to deal with.

Most are orange+, and what yellows I have found come in large groups, often containing orange+ enemies as well, so I have been doing a lot of hitting-and-running.

But there is a Crey Special Agent Sharpshooter north of the "safe zone" perched on top of a building sniping away.

He's got 6 levels on me.  I am not really in a position to charge up there and fight him.

In the meantime, anyone that goes running back to the safe zone ends up getting shot, and as soon as you respawn in the "hospital"?  Yep.  You get shot again and have to find some cover.

So I don't expect a GM to de-spawn him or anything, I don't expect any other players to run in and take him out while I am there.

I would, however, like to see some safeguards put in place to keep NPC snipers from spawning in spots that overlook these supposed "safe areas" in PvE zones, hazard zone or not.

Uh, I've respawned there and not been sniped. I'm not sure this is a permanent hard spawn sight...

If he doesn't always spawn there, it could be random, perhaps it's just bad luck. Also, if you're too low level for creys, getting sniped is a reminder that it's a hazard zone... With a warning NPC in the entrance...

Ah Yes ---

I recall my original adventures leveling up my first char and just hitting Founders Falls.

Bang - dead - WTF

Run back

Bang - dead - WTF

Run back

Bang - dead - WTF

Run back

Bang - dead - WTF

Learn to hide and keep moving so the snipers cant hit me.

Hunting PPs in FF for the badge was fun till I leveled up enough the snipers couldn't 1-shot me - on my low hit point controller.

Got to the point I would fly up and hold them - and feed them to my army of imps - Sniper being torn apart by 10-15 imps was fun. (Back before the pet nerf/buff of course)

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

It's not me saying that they are denying access to a whole zone, but I think that snipers shouldn't be taking potshots at people in the hospital area.

The first thing to happen to you after you respawn shouldn't be "get shot by the sniper".

Please clarify: are you being shot INSIDE the hospital or in its outdoor vicinity? The former - well, that's a bug since the rooms of the hospital are physically located below the zone and the npc shouldn't be able to shoot through the ground. Like I'd file a ticket if it happens so the GMs can come, find the mob and find out why it's "off its loop".

If you're being shot as you leave the hospital I suggest you talk to the nurse, purchase 4 small defense inspirations and eat them all before leaving and then move as fast as you can.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Yeah, I remember (FF?) back in OG where snipers were just as bad in general as Qs have always been for squids. You'd be flying a Little too close to a building and BAM, down to the city streets you go.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)