Is it time to reimagine the Flight Pool?

Scarlet Shocker

22 hours ago, Biff Pow said:

A Flight with a Group Fly secondary power would be leadership related just because it's team-based. Only someone specifically wanting to work with a group (or their pets) would take it.

(And I don't mean "move" the Flight power, just add a new one to the Leadership Pool. Not sure what to call it, but the Group Fly power could be called 'Formation' or something.)

Why not "Formation" share travel powers with Pets and Allies when "not in combat"?

1 hour ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

Why not "Formation" share travel powers with Pets and Allies when "not in combat"?

MM pets already have a version of Super Jump. They just don't use it unless there are no other paths to get to the MM/target. Teleport already has its Team Teleport and Fly already has its Group Fly. And as for running? When the MM gets too far away from the pets, they automatically teleport to the MM. So the proposed "Formation" doesn't help. (And still has no place in the Leadership pool.)

(Edit: Pet ability to follow the Controller/Dominator/Mastermind is still really bad; they still lag behind even if they have equal run speed, so that still needs to be addressed. However, that is a separate issue from this discussion.)

Edited by Rudra

6 hours ago, Rudra said:

MM pets already have a version of Super Jump. They just don't use it unless there are no other paths to get to the MM/target. Teleport already has its Team Teleport and Fly already has its Group Fly. And as for running? When the MM gets too far away from the pets, they automatically teleport to the MM. So the proposed "Formation" doesn't help. (And still has no place in the Leadership pool.)

(Edit: Pet ability to follow the Controller/Dominator/Mastermind is still really bad; they still lag behind even if they have equal run speed, so that still needs to be addressed. However, that is a separate issue from this discussion.)

That may be, but what if I want my pets to have Super Speed? You're just callously leaving that power out, as if Group Fly isn't a spit in the face of everyone who wants to use the Mastermind Archtype as a method of having "speed clones" of their character in game.... Which will be all that much more important when they finally let us customize our minions!

The Pathing code for NPCs was more acceptable when City of Heroes first came out. I suppose they might want to look at doing an overhaul of it.

4 hours ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

, as if Group Fly isn't a spit in the face of everyone who wants to use the Mastermind Archtype as a method of having "speed clones" of their character in game....

How is Group Fly a spit in the face of anyone that wants to use their MM as a method of having speed clones? If you don't want to use Speed Boost like @Luminara pointed out, then request a Group Run power or similar. It will likely run into the same problems Group Fly is dealing with in that a lot of players don't want to be speed boosted, but just like with Group Fly, Null already provides a means of dealing with that.

(Edit: Though again, as I already stated, even if your pets have equal speed to your character, they still fail to keep up. And also considering how frantically pets run away during fights because of enemy effect patches, I can only imagine how much worse that will be with speed boosted pets....)

Edited by Rudra

4 minutes ago, Rudra said:

How is Group Fly a spit in the face of anyone that wants to use their MM as a method of having speed clones? If you don't want to use Speed Boost like @Luminara pointed out, then request a Group Run power or similar. It will likely run into the same problems Group Fly is dealing with in that a lot of players don't want to be speed boosted, but just like with Group Fly, Null already provides a means of dealing with that.

(Edit: Though again, as I already stated, even if your pets have equal speed to your character, they still fail to keep up. And also considering how frantically pets run away during fights because of enemy effect patches, I can only imagine how much worse that will be with speed boosted pets....)

Solution is easy.
Pull a spit hood over their head first!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

On 9/20/2024 at 9:02 PM, tidge said:

My only complaint with the Flight pool is that it has 4 toggles that must be on (not counting Afterburner) to maximize its use, and each must be toggles individually. I wish Evasive Maneuvers was an auto power.

The only thought I had for changing the Flight Pool is to combine Hover and Fly (and do the same for the equivalent Peacemaker Powers).  If possible, make it have a lower End/s cost if the Toon isn't moving.

I've always liked Air Superiority.  I've got one Toon with the Flight Pool, an Inv/SS Tanker, who takes Air Superiority and Fly.  I'd like that attack to be improved (along with the other Pool attacks).

But for the remaining 3 Powers from the Pool....  How about @Communistpenguin's idea of Pet Fly, but as a separate Power?  Beyond that...?

6 minutes ago, Jacke said:

But for the remaining 3 Powers from the Pool....  How about @Communistpenguin's idea of Pet Fly, but as a separate Power?  Beyond that...?

I wrote something like this the last time the Flight pool was discussed: Flight is somewhat slow, and lacks control, because if it were faster, or offered control, it would be the de facto best choice for travel.... for everything except for a very small number of maps. There is also a legacy-think consideration about "hover-blasting" that I don't feel like discussing.

Knowing that the devs don't want a single Flying power to do everything, we are basically stuck with (1) The zone travel and (2) the low-end control. Group Fly is fine, despite how triggering it appears to be for some... it's got to be a toggle because of the triggering effects. Air Superiority is fine. The 5th power which improves speed AND gives control is fine, but not as a fourth/fifth toggle. It's simply too much UI overhead for whoever wants to leverage the OTHER travel powers from the same set. I find it simply crazy that a flier using a powerset like traps has to toggle off at least three other powers, and then probably has a fourth travel power from the same set still turned on.