1337 XP From Elite Boss xD

Someone in-game said "pics or it didn't happen". Well, here it is lol

Edit: I should explain for those too young to get it. 1337 is something that used to be called "Leet Speak", (Leet being slang for "Elite"). It's when you use numbers and symbols in place of letters, and it's even referenced in the game on one of the radio missions. It's very dorky, but at one point I guess we thought it was cool.

image_2024-10-13_144142474.png.e9cda45e41ce6e1de89a37c0499d5e31.png

Edited by victim89
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, JKCarrier said:

The original poster* posting on a video game message board what l33t is - it's not some newly shared word, why does it matter - it's been around for decades.

And Elite Boss XP in a league is going to be lower. So again I ask, what is the significance of this?

Edited by Glacier Peak
Correcting misquote
  • Thumbs Down 3

5 minutes ago, JKCarrier said:

Not sure how much more clearly I can spell it out for ya -- a "1337" Boss gave him a "1337" amount of experience. It's a funny coincidence.

So if I posted a thread about a Minion giving me 1337 XP, this would be significant because it spells out l33t?

tumblr_inline_mnggyf6yUA1qz4rgp.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

So if I posted a thread about a Minion giving me 1337 XP, this would be significant because it spells out l33t?

tumblr_inline_mnggyf6yUA1qz4rgp.gif

Nah. However if a Lieutenant gave you seventeen XP then it might produce a snigger or two from Snarky.

Spoiler

image.png.bc643728edcbf30142348e67115d7768.png  🦇  image.png.ecc0574953b72601146029dbe967c9af.png

• Finland 1
  • Moose 1

5 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Yes. Also, any time the number 69 comes up in any context, you are legally required to nod knowingly and say, "Niiiiiiice..."

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

The original poster* posting on a video game message board what l33t is - it's not some newly shared word, why does it matter - it's been around for decades.

And Elite Boss XP in a league is going to be lower. So again I ask, what is the significance of this?

Just a bit of fun worth sharing with people who would enjoy it.

Significance? Well evidence the game is still with us 20 years after its first release and we can share such trivia. That works for me.

5 hours ago, JKCarrier said:

Yes. Also, any time the number 69 comes up in any context, you are legally required to nod knowingly and say, "Niiiiiiice..."

• Thumbs Up 3

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

I remember about 2 or 3 years ago, I was put into a group project at work and the project number ended with 1337. When I saw that I chuckled and someone else on the team (younger than me) asked why I laughed. I was like "ya know 1337! I'm so 1337 I noscope newbs! Ya know like leet speak" and the whole group stared at me like I had 6 heads... Nobody had a clue what I was talking about! Never felt so old....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

12 minutes ago, mistagoat said:

I remember about 2 or 3 years ago, I was put into a group project at work and the project number ended with 1337. When I saw that I chuckled and someone else on the team (younger than me) asked why I laughed. I was like "ya know 1337! I'm so 1337 I noscope newbs! Ya know like leet speak" and the whole group stared at me like I had 6 heads... Nobody had a clue what I was talking about! Never felt so old....

hvRIljP.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

For the younger crowd, L33t, or leet speak is a carryover from hackers. Now, there were hackers that were quite ingenious; using a whistle from a cereal box to make a telephone call for free - that was incredibly clever. Illegal, but clever. This ingenuity stemmed from a time when there was a thing called "Long-distance". Long distance would be any call outside of your local area. The further out, the greater the charge. If you wanted to call your grandmother in another state - you had to pay a fair amount, like 31 cents a minute. (seems cheap now, but if you wanted to keep your bills down, it added up quickly!) I remember when I was traveling as a young college student, my parents would have me call them collect and ask for myself. And then they would refuse to accept the charges, but would know I was okay and had arrived at my destination alive. Common practice! That was the extent of any "hack" we ever knew about. Enter the hacker, nicknamed Captain Crunch who discovered the frequency of the whistle that came with the cereal box of Captain Crunch would (details are fuzzy, I read this book in the early 90s) put out a frequency which allowed a long distance call to go through, and neither the party being called, nor the caller were billed. I'm sure Google would have some details. 

The hackers used this kind of wordplay for a number of reasons, depending on where they were using it. The primary goal was to obscure the actual meaning from eyes that weren't intended to see the communication, whether that was the authorities, or security software. In short, they were up to no good. Today's equivalent could be the folks that scam you out of your money, whether it's by phone, or a bogus gift card. 

We have a language called English. 

English is just an old language that has been influenced by a number of other languages, and it's a difficult language to learn, let alone master. But even an idiot will know to not use numbers when we have letters that convey the message more clearly. Some folks use this leet speak because for reasons that don't make sense to me, they think it's amusing or funny. Or whatever. 

It's kind of like role play, really. For a brief moment, if they want to pretend to be Kevin Mitnick (RIP) or Kevin Paulson, be my guest. Enjoy yourselves. As long as you're amused, fine. 

Personally, I'll probably throw up a little. 

Edited by Ukase
Hit enter before I was done editing

14 minutes ago, mistagoat said:

Never felt so old....

First had that effect in 2006 when I was talking to a group of guys and mentioned the Iran Hostage Crisis of 1979 as a defining historical moment. I received a full round of the blank stares and "say what?" comments. 

l33t doesn't seem that old.  Don't some of the Freak Show names use l33t?

• Like 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

18 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Why is this significant?

Its not. Its a meme that would not die in ‘09 where it belonged(or before). It was…ok back in the day. It’s VERY very overdone now, bordering on cringe

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

I lost the screenshot due to a hard drive crash on an old computer, but I had a screenshot from the very first Winter Event back on Live where my En/En Blaster was in Perez Park, and defeated one of the snowmen that spawned from a present that someone had clicked and run off from, and got the message "You receive 1337 experience."; I reposted the system message in general, laughing about it.

6 hours ago, Techwright said:

l33t doesn't seem that old.  Don't some of the Freak Show names use l33t?

In both names and dialog, you can see 133t and StUdLyCaPs. There are also some occurrences of hakspek in the dialog, as well. Hakspek had largely disappeared with the spread of the internet, although it survived in the original character limit for SMS, & the nd 4 abbrvs n msgs 4 char cnt.

• Like 1