I don't get why this is so much better than CO

Exactly. A controller might take longer to defeat enemies, but they can do so in absolute safety. Defenders do lower damage then the main 'damage dealer' archtypes, but again tend to be completely safe. How is that not 'solo friendly'?

Okay, so sonic or force field doesn't have as many tools to aid the soloing defender. But even they can handle greater odds then in other contemporary MMOs like Everquest 1 or 2.

When I'm playing WoW my 'tank' build characters can handle 1 or 2 enemies at a time. Maybe 3 depending on what type it is and what class I'm playing. But if it's an Elite enemy, then I'll struggle to defeat a single one without backup. Doesn't matter my level, if the Elite mob is conning white and I don't have a tanky pet to hold it's agro I'm probably going to die while trying to fight it. And if I do have a tanky pet, I'll be having to heal that pet quite a lot during the attempt.

Conversely in City of Heroes once I get to SO enhancement levels my characters are generally capable of handling 5-10 enemies at a time, at least. Multiple bosses at the same time? Yeah, that's doable. By the way, bosses feel about on par with Elite 'trash' mobs in WoW for power. Is that an Elite Boss? Hmm, I think I just might be able to take them. And if not, just load up on consumables and try again. Probably with more success. Elite Bosses would be the equivalent of the 'end boss' for a typical WOW dungeon. While Archvillains would be the equivalent of a Raid Boss.

I've never heard of anyone in WoW soloing a raid boss without having massively out leveled said raid. Let alone soloing dungeons without having first outl eveled the dungeon.

Now I am confused. You've gone from saying CoH isn't solo friendly to sounding like you're arguing that it is...

And not being able to tank raid bosses or large packs solo doesn't make a game "not solo friendly" either. Solo friendly just means that you can level and quest at a reasonable rate solo. WoW had that from day one. And, in recent years, has changed a LOT from what you described. Still can't solo raid bosses you haven't massively outleveled, but it's often a simple matter to solo multiple enemies.

Everquest, that was not solo friendly save for a couple classes. Soloing even one mob at a time was a time consuming struggle for most classes.

Wrong eq had quite a few solo classes and you can solo about the same pace with unsolo friendly classes, but it was better to team just like cox, you prove to me you can solo better then eq1 with a force field/radiation defender with a video if you believe this so much.

What are you talking about? If you want to play that game then lets play shall we? Solo friendly implies its easier to solo with this term, now if you say solo unfriendly this implies the opposite it does not mean you cannot solo though, you knew you assumed you just do not want to look wrong why don'\t you pointless argument with someone else your skill level next time? It is not a personal defintion everyone who plays cox 7 years ago to now knows for a fact that there are classes in this game very solo unfriendly, and this is not just the at but the power combination because guess what? They are more team friendly gaaaasp!!!! This is in fact an old school mmo sorry that bothers you so much maybe you should go play something with instant gratification like guild wars 2.

Tone it down a notch Cosmic...

1.) Very few people played CoX 7 years ago to now...If you are one of them congratulations, but the game is still by and large the same as it was in 2004 when it came out.  Content has been added, Powersets have been added/tweaked, AT's added, lots of QoL improvements, but apart from Enhancements, there has been no key wholesale change in the game mechanics

2.) Solo Friendly does not mean "I can solo AV's and Bosses +4!!!!".  Solo friendly (as many people have stated) means to them - I can get one, play almost all the content by myself, and still progress. 

3.) Any AT can solo - sorry it's a fact - some will solo slowly, some faster, some might need to lower their difficulty, some might raise it - bu the speed/difficulty at which you advance does not define solo friendliness

4.) And yes, the game is also very team friendly - in fact part of the original vision for CoH, for better and worse, was a game where you could solo or team and still have a good time...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

What are you talking about? If you want to play that game then lets play shall we? Solo friendly implies its easier to solo with this term, now if you say solo unfriendly this implies the opposite it does not mean you cannot solo though, you knew you assumed you just do not want to look wrong why don'\t you pointless argument with someone else your skill level next time? It is not a personal defintion everyone who plays cox 7 years ago to now knows for a fact that there are classes in this game very solo unfriendly, and this is not just the at but the power combination because guess what? They are more team friendly gaaaasp!!!! This is in fact an old school mmo sorry that bothers you so much maybe you should go play something with instant gratification like guild wars 2.

Tone it down a notch Cosmic...

1.) Very few people played CoX 7 years ago to now...If you are one of them congratulations, but the game is still by and large the same as it was in 2004 when it came out.  Content has been added, Powersets have been added/tweaked, AT's added, lots of QoL improvements, but apart from Enhancements, there has been no key wholesale change in the game mechanics

2.) Solo Friendly does not mean "I can solo AV's and Bosses +4!!!!".  Solo friendly (as many people have stated) means to them - I can get one, play almost all the content by myself, and still progress. 

3.) Any AT can solo - sorry it's a fact - some will solo slowly, some faster, some might need to lower their difficulty, some might raise it - bu the speed/difficulty at which you advance does not define solo friendliness

4.) And yes, the game is also very team friendly - in fact part of the original vision for CoH, for better and worse, was a game where you could solo or team and still have a good time...

Alright I will as long as they do, well most people do not use the term solo friendly for very slow and grindy but if you say so. Yes lowering difficulty as I stated before I already said it CAN be done but its hardly anything to write home about.

One good example of why CoX is better than CO:

You're here, and not there.  If you weren't here and you were there, then you wouldn't need proof because you already think CO is better and you are welcome to it.  If you are still here and not there, then you already have all you need to know why CoX is better than CO, and have fun enjoying the game!

• Like 1

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Personally, it wasn't really a question of which was better, so much as the fact that CO, despite it's namesake, had little if any resemblance to the pen & paper game I enjoyed so much.

On top of that, the gameplay experience in CO felt woefully un-superheroic.  I never felt like a hero in CO at any level even approaching the heroic feeling engendered by CoH.

There were some things that I liked about CO, but the UI wasn't one of them -- it was very plastic and unappealing.  The stylized look did not endear it to me.

Anyway, it was for those reasons that I failed to stick with CO, whereas at least some of the reasons that I would continue to return to CoH are probably inexplicable. 

I played CO at launch, and tried it out a few times over the years, but really gave it another good try after CoX died.  I have strong opinions about CO.  At its core its a terrible game, and here's why:

1) Stories are utter garbage.  It like the head writer was trying to write for a super hero parady game.  Everytime you tried to accomplish anything, it constantly reminded you what a big joke this whole thing was.

2) Reward system encouraged inter-player strife.  I'm not a fan of the need or greed system, nor am I a fan of "rare bosses" that spawn to drop some retarded loot, as it only encourages players to engage in negative confrontational behavior with each other.

3) Builds were all about tank/DPS/heal.  Crowd Control and other exotic defense mechanisms were non-existent.

4) Open build system encouraged Franken Builds, which in a way are not unlike what we have with Sentinels in this game.  It'd be like if 90% of the player base on homecoming ran around as Sentinels.  Thankfully, that is not the case in homecoming.

5) The stat system was weird and obtuse, and basically rubbed in your face that this was a tank/dps/heal game.

6) It was like someone said to themselves "You know what would be cool?  What if we made a super hero WoW clone?"  This isn't knock on WoW.  I personally don't like WoW, but I respect that other people do like it.  I don't see how anyone can make game that out-WoWs WoW, and history has proven out that no one can out-WoW WoW.  Take a watered-down WoW and put a super hero skin on it, which is essentially what CO is and....no one cares!

7) Bugged Alerts.  To me the final straw, after giving CO another try, was getting into an Alert (which others whom I assume were also CoH refugees) and the mission was bugged!  The mission we were on was broken, we tried all sorts of things to get around the bug, but we coudn't, so we had to abandon the Alert.  That was the final straw for me and CO.

As of within the last hour, Champions Online, a fully functional cash shop has 127-ish players on it.

City Of Heroes: Homecoming, a fan hosted server of a game which died 7 years ago has 4700-ish players on it.

I presume the other City Of Heroes fan servers have population on them too.

Pretty much sums it up.......

• Like 1

As of within the last hour, Champions Online, a fully functional cash shop has 127-ish players on it.

City Of Heroes: Homecoming, a fan hosted server of a game which died 7 years ago has 4700-ish players on it.

Wow...just Wow...If Champions can still be online with that little support, it's still hard to believe that NCSoft ever pulled the plug on this...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

The only thing I can see is the time that the population was sampled.  Taking a snapshot of the servers when it is at the slowest time is not a accurate predictor of the health of the game.

Wow...just Wow...If Champions can still be online with that little support, it's still hard to believe that NCSoft ever pulled the plug on this...

The only thing I can see is the time that the population was sampled.  Taking a snapshot of the servers when it is at the slowest time is not a accurate predictor of the health of the game.

True enough, but if for sake of healthy debate we assume they were both sampled at the same time, that’s 40X difference.  If not statiscally predictive, directionally it still says a lot.  Good comment

True enough, but if for sake of healthy debate we assume they were both sampled at the same time, that’s 40X difference.  If not statiscally predictive, directionally it still says a lot.  Good comment

If Steam Charts is to be believed, CO averages 150-200 players online at any given time, and is seems to be decreasing lately (wonder why?).

Got a laugh out of the OP claiming Mastermind is the OP AT of the game.

that hasn't been the case since incarnates came out for sure. they may actually be on the weaker side until you t4 most of your incarnates.

i mean my dark/staff tanker can't be killed by anything. health bar hardly moves. end bar hardly moves. can kill an av but would finish the entire extended trilogy of the lord of the rings movies before it dies.

I have a lifetime sub to CO and played tehre just recently.

however i dont care for the game. the p2w schemes now, the fact it's the same engine as sto which is horrible by way of animations and movement and collision. they went with a comic STRIP art style and notn a comic BOOK art style which i actually find insulting given comic BOOKS haven't had to be dumbed down for kids since the CCA went away in the 80's and 90's. their version of teleport sucks but i like swinging.

freeform is a trap that ends up with people abandoning characters in their teens over and over or you find yourself pugging with people that are not only not helpful but a detriment to your group.

Exactly. A controller might take longer to defeat enemies, but they can do so in absolute safety. Defenders do lower damage then the main 'damage dealer' archtypes, but again tend to be completely safe. How is that not 'solo friendly'?

Okay, so sonic or force field doesn't have as many tools to aid the soloing defender. But even they can handle greater odds then in other contemporary MMOs like Everquest 1 or 2.

When I'm playing WoW my 'tank' build characters can handle 1 or 2 enemies at a time. Maybe 3 depending on what type it is and what class I'm playing. But if it's an Elite enemy, then I'll struggle to defeat a single one without backup. Doesn't matter my level, if the Elite mob is conning white and I don't have a tanky pet to hold it's agro I'm probably going to die while trying to fight it. And if I do have a tanky pet, I'll be having to heal that pet quite a lot during the attempt.

Conversely in City of Heroes once I get to SO enhancement levels my characters are generally capable of handling 5-10 enemies at a time, at least. Multiple bosses at the same time? Yeah, that's doable. By the way, bosses feel about on par with Elite 'trash' mobs in WoW for power. Is that an Elite Boss? Hmm, I think I just might be able to take them. And if not, just load up on consumables and try again. Probably with more success. Elite Bosses would be the equivalent of the 'end boss' for a typical WOW dungeon. While Archvillains would be the equivalent of a Raid Boss.

I've never heard of anyone in WoW soloing a raid boss without having massively out leveled said raid. Let alone soloing dungeons without having first outl eveled the dungeon.

Now I am confused. You've gone from saying CoH isn't solo friendly to sounding like you're arguing that it is...

And not being able to tank raid bosses or large packs solo doesn't make a game "not solo friendly" either. Solo friendly just means that you can level and quest at a reasonable rate solo. WoW had that from day one. And, in recent years, has changed a LOT from what you described. Still can't solo raid bosses you haven't massively outleveled, but it's often a simple matter to solo multiple enemies.

Everquest, that was not solo friendly save for a couple classes. Soloing even one mob at a time was a time consuming struggle for most classes.

Wrong eq had quite a few solo classes and you can solo about the same pace with unsolo friendly classes, but it was better to team just like cox, you prove to me you can solo better then eq1 with a force field/radiation defender with a video if you believe this so much.

The bolded is about as wrong as you can get.  I'm a long time EQ player here, playing as recently as a few months ago when they opened their latest "classic" server.  There are a small few classes that can solo well in EQ.  Most classes can't solo past level 10 or so unless you count killing one mob and then resting for ten minutes between each kill as "soloing".  And that would be with a class like a warrior, the basic tank.  I played mostly rogues.  They were probably the most unfriendly soloing class.  Just to give you an idea, at lvl 40, my rogue would have trouble soloing single spawns that were normal mobs 5-8 levels lower than me.  By the time you reach 50 as a rogue, soloing anything that gives xp, which would be about ten levels below you, is near impossible.  Everquest was easily the least solo friendly of any MMO I ever played.  And, for whatever reason, it is still my favorite.  People talk about the community here and it is similar to how EQ players today talk about their communities.  Also I think that because both EQ and CoH have slower combat, it lends itself to more chatter when grouping/teaming.  There isn't time to type comments out if you have to constantly be doing other things on your keyboard. But here and especially in EQ, there isn't a lot of "button management" required compared to newer MMOs and I think that is one of the reasons why those communities seem friendlier or at least more engaging.  Even though I mostly solo here in CoH, I find the experience of the game itself and the helpfulness of the community to be the most similar I ever found to what I loved about EQ back in the day.

The bolded is about as wrong as you can get.  I'm a long time EQ player here, playing as recently as a few months ago when they opened their latest "classic" server.  There are a small few classes that can solo well in EQ.  Most classes can't solo past level 10 or so unless you count killing one mob and then resting for ten minutes between each kill as "soloing".  And that would be with a class like a warrior, the basic tank.  I played mostly rogues.  They were probably the most unfriendly soloing class.  Just to give you an idea, at lvl 40, my rogue would have trouble soloing single spawns that were normal mobs 5-8 levels lower than me.  By the time you reach 50 as a rogue, soloing anything that gives xp, which would be about ten levels below you, is near impossible.  Everquest was easily the least solo friendly of any MMO I ever played.  And, for whatever reason, it is still my favorite.  People talk about the community here and it is similar to how EQ players today talk about their communities.  Also I think that because both EQ and CoH have slower combat, it lends itself to more chatter when grouping/teaming.  There isn't time to type comments out if you have to constantly be doing other things on your keyboard. But here and especially in EQ, there isn't a lot of "button management" required compared to newer MMOs and I think that is one of the reasons why those communities seem friendlier or at least more engaging.  Even though I mostly solo here in CoH, I find the experience of the game itself and the helpfulness of the community to be the most similar I ever found to what I loved about EQ back in the day.

This was exactly my experience. I'm baffled as to why he thinks more classes were solo friendly than that. Even the solo friendly ones took a lot more care than anything in CoH. Or any modern MMO. One small slip could turn a quad kiting druid into a dead druid FAST. A fear kiting necromancer whose victim ran in the wrong direction could equal a nasty train fast.

I still believe that NCsoft didn't understand the attraction of the game to its players, and the way that the game was structured, there was no way for them to turn the Paragon Store into the sort of microtransaction-driven cash machine that their own MMOs were -- most of the unlocks were account-wide, and the ones that weren't were not locked to individual characters, allowing them to be traded for in-game currency. And the play style doesn't fit well for the standard Asian MMO structure -- you could log into the game and play solo or with teams put together on the fly with almost any combination of characters, while Asian MMOs have, virtually from inception, been heavily group-centric, where you would go down to the bang (internet cafe) with your friends and all log in and play together sitting right next to each other. Look at how badly "City of Hero" flopped in Korea despite all of the regionalization and art intended to appeal to the Korean market. And then there were the attempts by Paragon Studios to buy themselves out from under NCsoft, instead of recognizing how much better off they were under NCsoft's enlightened management (and all of the 'defer to authority' baked into Korean management practices).

This was exactly my experience. I'm baffled as to why he thinks more classes were solo friendly than that. Even the solo friendly ones took a lot more care than anything in CoH. Or any modern MMO. One small slip could turn a quad kiting druid into a dead druid FAST. A fear kiting necromancer whose victim ran in the wrong direction could equal a nasty train fast.

Another MMO of the era, FFXI was very similar.

The only class that could solo even-level mobs worth a darn was the Beast Master. And that was only because you could tame other mobs and pit them against each other. So it was just you watching two mobs duke it out for 1-3 minutes a battle. It was risky, (imo boring) and tedious. If you died, generally no one was around to raise you (raising refunded half of your XP loss), so you had to carry counter measures for that.

And even then, their xp generally paled to what a good team got, and teams generally did *not* want a Beast Master on their roster.

There were some other combos that could take out lower level mobs that still gave XP  (Rdm/Nin comes to mind). But much like in EQ it was slow, tedious, full of risk and not really worth the payoff. You're just better of farming for gil or something while you LFG. Also if you died you lost xp and could de-level, losing hours worth of XP. I recall EQ having a pretty steep death toll too? CoH's death toll (even old school debt) is a walk in the park compared to other MMOs around the same era.

This all of course was back during its "prime" in the mid-late 2000s. I think it's all changed up now.

I still believe that NCsoft didn't understand the attraction of the game to its players, and the way that the game was structured, there was no way for them to turn the Paragon Store into the sort of microtransaction-driven cash machine that their own MMOs were -- most of the unlocks were account-wide, and the ones that weren't were not locked to individual characters, allowing them to be traded for in-game currency. And the play style doesn't fit well for the standard Asian MMO structure -- you could log into the game and play solo or with teams put together on the fly with almost any combination of characters, while Asian MMOs have, virtually from inception, been heavily group-centric, where you would go down to the bang (internet cafe) with your friends and all log in and play together sitting right next to each other. Look at how badly "City of Hero" flopped in Korea despite all of the regionalization and art intended to appeal to the Korean market. And then there were the attempts by Paragon Studios to buy themselves out from under NCsoft, instead of recognizing how much better off they were under NCsoft's enlightened management (and all of the 'defer to authority' baked into Korean management practices).

I am convinced that CoH could have, at the very least, gotten by in Maintenance mode and still made a tidy profit.

I played the Beta for CO. I was utterly thrilled by how it played and while I wasn't going to give up on CoH/V yet (until they got their own Mastermind equivalent and a Villan side) I expected to migrate to it. I played CO on launch day and then refused to touch it again. Why?

In CoH/V, you take on groups of enemies of your level from around level 3-5 and can expect it to be doable. In the beta for CO, I took on thirty enemies of my level at level 15 or so and while it required some management, I never felt like it was a desperate struggle. In the first day patch, 3 enemies of my level was a near death experience.

None of my powers had been changed significantly, they'd just done a total balance change of the game. For reference I was mostly power armor toggle attacks with inv defenses. It instantly turned me off on the game, because I'd been tricked by the beta. I had already had problems with the sheer 4 color adam west batman level 'kid stuff' that was the writing and setup, but I was willing to overlook that for the great gameplay. The gameplay they had slaughtered before my eyes.

As a side note: I tried to make a hybrid guns/sword/regen character as well and the problem was you could only take one endurance builder. Either be forced to melee before shooting (which is stupid, why bother with ranged at all then?) or be forced to shoot before melee (less stupid, but why bother with melee at all then?) and to top it all off, there was no buffs for others, no crowd control options and jack all pets.

Mastermind is utterly unique to CoH/V and no MMO since has done the 'master of minions' mechanics I enjoyed. So here I am, playing masterminds again and despite the clunky sounds of my robots. (make that adjustable please?) I'm looking forward to trying demon summoning and beasts.

The secret is in the details!

Those 127 people are the 127 people who spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars a month in the cash shop!

The secret is in the details!

Those 127 people are the 127 people who spend hundreds, if not thousands of dollars a month in the cash shop!

In the first day patch, 3 enemies of my level was a near death experience.

This patch hit like GDN and ED combined. On day one! It was a death kneel and imo it spelled doom for the game right out of the gate. It was so bad that people with lifetime subs demanded refunds (and in some cases were granted them).

We all felt like we were bait-and-switched.

After that it was still nerf after nerf and change after change. No one was safe! It turns out a totally free-for-all power system just leads to tons of cherry picking and is a balance nightmare. CoH really dodged that bullet.

To follow up what Sorain said, I find that the difficulty on CO these days (well, "these days" - I haven't played in a couple of years) is often extremely easy... until it's suddenly not.  I remember there were times when I'd be easily tearing through groups of enemies, and then, suddenly, there'd be a group of the same enemies, same level, no apparent difference between them and all the others, and they'd just as easily tear through me.  Fighting bosses is always a nightmare of having to perfectly-time your blocks to keep from getting blown across the room (and woe unto you if your reflexes - or your connection speed! - aren't perfect).

It just never felt right.