The state of the community

Goddangit

14 hours ago, FrostyDelicious said:

There's a community of us that get together with @Positivegamer on youtube. The people are just amazing and we all support each other. We range from new players, old-timers, teenagers to retirees. There's no judgement on the channel just fun and support. I highly recommend coming to one of his streams or jumping into the discord group. We do constant events, raids, badge hunts etc.. and play on Excelsior. I have never had as much playing this game than with group of people. 

On Everlasting I stick with people from the CapeRadio and it is similar. lots of friendly support and team activities.

I hope every server has at least one such group.

7 hours ago, Tahliah said:

I do recommend avoiding pugs that are crazy specific and demanding.  You'll see LFG messages for Posi, for example, demanding tells with powersets and AT and level.  It's Posi.  It's like level 10, and you can do that with literally any team makeup.  Eight defenders can do it, eight blasters, and on.  I do not respond to these people because they will not be fun to team with and are unlikely to construct or lead good teams (not that you need a good team--or leader--for Posi, but you know what I mean 😛 ).

THIS

• Thanks 1

Also some people need to realize the difference between advice and aggression.

One yin TF we had a /Dark armor tank who was rather hesitant about doing the whole tanking thing and jumping into mobs. Several times the brutes and the scrappers would get fed up waiting on them and just dive in anyway (especially the brute on the team, say what you will about scrapperlock but furylock is a thing as well). So I messaged them after the TF was over saying that they needed to be a bit more aggressive in their tanking style. They send me this passive-aggressive diatribe about how they had to constantly stop to recover endurance (fair enough, DA is an end hungry set if you run ALL the toggles...which you don't normally, the fear aura is great and all but you can probably turn it off on a TF) but thanks for the yadda yadda yadda. Now I had just assumed they were new to playing a tank or were a little nervous about diving in. 

At one point, yes I did get annoyed because Clamor had respawned (we'd done the click on computers bit) and decided to go for me (a blaster), none of the melee picked her up and proceeded to faceplant.

I know I'll get the "they didn't ask for your advice, so don't give it!" but when I play tanks I'm the one that's aggressive, mainly because I'm use to high level play and I'm trying to outrun the Scrappers/Brutes in order to soak the alpha strike and feel like I'm doing something useful for the team instead of just dishing out sub-par damage and taunting the leftovers. A melee who hesitates too long is going to get left behind in a steam roller team.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, Apparition said:

The reason for that is because the police drones in Portal Corps will zap nearby Rikti.  Goodbye, XP, INF, and Vanguard merits.  Not that that excuses yelling, but there was a legitimate reason to ask people to move.  Of course, people being people, like you said it's like trying to herd cats.  Which is why I don't bother with Rikti zone invasions in PI.

Oh, I think this is fair enough.  Had the guy actually taken ten seconds to write this, people may have listened (though I doubt it, we are used to fighting Rikti at Portal Corps), but he didn't.  All caps is not a good idea unless you are leading or forming an MSR, incarnate trial, etc.  Randomly yelling at people to do something (and without explanation--preferably not in all caps) will not yield the desired results.  Personally, I only participate in Rikti invasions in Talos and PI but only because I know where to go for them.  I was once in FF when one happened and spent most of it looking for the "main" invasion grouping.  I don't think I ever found it (this was back on live). 

Everyone is mentioning ITF as a bone of contention, and I think this is valid.  It would be helpful if people forming these were clear what they are doing so that people looking for a speed ITF can join a speed ITF and people looking to join a "kill most" can do so.  I think, for the most part, people are clear on this, but it is disappointing to join a pug "speed" ITF and find that it's set to +4/x8 (and as an added fun bonus they let lvl 35 toons join.  Gah!). 

As a related aside, is it just me or is the recent craze for +/x on everything a bit annoying?  Why do a +/x bazillion radio mish team, tf, etc. if you spend more time in the hosp/collecting debt badge credit than actually killing anything?  Wouldn't it make more sense to lower the diff to something manageable and do two or three mishes full of baddies in the time it takes you to recover from constant team wipes/endless debt?  /just musing

Edited by Tahliah
clarification

7 minutes ago, Tahliah said:

Everyone is mentioning ITF as a bone of contention, and I think this is valid.  It would be helpful if people forming these were clear what they are doing so that people looking for a speed ITF can join a speed ITF and people looking to join a "kill most" can do so.  I think, for the most part, people are clear on this, but it is disappointing to join a pug "speed" ITF and find that it's set to +4/x8 (and as an added fun bonus they let lvl 35 toons join.  Gah!). 

As a related aside, is it just me or is the recent craze for + on everything a bit annoying?  Why do a +bazillion radio mish team, tf, etc. if you spend more time in the hosp/collecting debt badge credit than actually killing anything?  Wouldn't it make more sense to lower the diff to something manageable and do two or three mishes full of baddies in the time it takes you to recover from constant team wipes/endless debt?  /just musing

Generally on level 50 teams I don't find the +4 to be a problem, tons of Incarnates out there. But I am 100% with you on lower level teams. Sure, we can probably complete that Citadel TF at +4, but it sounds terrible and slow. I'm all for challenging content, but situations like that I don't find a challenge, just tedious and frustrating.

9 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Generally on level 50 teams I don't find the +4 to be a problem, tons of Incarnates out there. But I am 100% with you on lower level teams. Sure, we can probably complete that Citadel TF at +4, but it sounds terrible and slow. I'm all for challenging content, but situations like that I don't find a challenge, just tedious and frustrating.

Exactly my point, MunkiLord.  I love love love an ITF of all 50s at +4 (especially if it's kill most), but why do that if you're including a bunch of lvl 35s who cannot possibly keep up? 

And yeah, funny you should say that, the other day, I saw someone on LFG broadcasting for a Synapse at +4.  Why? It's a low level tf with clocks who zap end . . . who would think this a good idea?  Obviously, some people did since the team (eventually) filled, but it took a long time compared to how fast other Synapse's fill. 

To me, it's all good.  I would never ever join a +4 Synapse, so I'm happy that the leader let it be known that was the deal.  Most people are doing those for the TFC and maybe xp, but the xp is negated when an already long tf takes twice as long because the team wipes at least twice every mish.  /smh 

But to each their own.  If it makes sense to run a low level tf far above your toon's ability and to spend twice as long doing it, go for it, I say.  Just don't ask me to join.  I could spend those four hours getting far more xp/inf/merits doing Synapse twice at a more doable diff setting. 

Agreed on all counts. If I'm putting together a kill most ITF, I don't decide on the difficulty until I have my team assembled. If there are five Incarnates, bring on the +4. If I have five people at level 38, we're gonna start out lower. I'll also factor in things like how difficult it is for people to get to Cim. If three of them have to be told how to get to there, then perhaps I should take it slow.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MunkiLord said:

Agreed on all counts. If I'm putting together a kill most ITF, I don't decide on the difficulty until I have my team assembled. If there are five Incarnates, bring on the +4. If I have five people at level 38, we're gonna start out lower. I'll also factor in things like how difficult it is for people to get to Cim. If three of them have to be told how to get to there, then perhaps I should take it slow.

I want to be on your teams.  Naow.  :P

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, Queen Nefertiti said:

I've only blocked one person so far and that was because I accidentally had my /bind go off in help rather than team. I had been talking to someone about incarnate slotting and forgot to click back into team. He took it as his right to send me a /tell and say quite rudely (in my opinion) not to spam the help channel with my battle cries. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen in help and to be honest you normally move on and ignore the odd weirdness. Not this guy, so I apologised and blocked him. I've seen no end of out of context comments on help because someone was answering a question and forgot to change channel. I'm not sure what past experiences made this guy think it was ok to go to the trouble of actually messaging me. Probably having a bad day 🙂

I would equate this to something like 'wwwwwaasddsdwwwww' showing up in chat. An ooops and not a big deal.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.