The state of the community

Goddangit

Then there's "Drive-By Buffing".

Several people on live used to get quite toxic about that. Not sure how it's seen now, but there isn't nearly as much discussion about it as there was on the live forums. Where I swear there was a new "Don't give me your buffs unless I'm on your team!" topic on a weekly basis.

To each their own, I love me some buffage tho!

I have run across a small number of highly vocal, to use current idiom 'TOXIC' people. In game and in the forums.

I just posted my thoughts on it in another thread.

Even though COH is old at the moment it is also new. My experience is the new bright shiny game always attracts a certain competitive (in a specific way), vocal, it's all about me winning, crowd that have to be the first to max level and geared up to 'beat' the game and that are happy to step on whoever to get what they want.

It seems like, based on other games and communities, this minority moves on in 60-120 days. I've been waiting for the rage-quit emails to begin as they seem to be part of the cycle.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I haven't run across more than a handful of bad actors on Excelsior myself.  I have seen a few "Recruiting for x, must have y" but they're few and far between.  The worst case was a Manticore I was on a couple weeks ago where I suddenly ended up with the star after a DC and ended up having to mediate between the former leader and another player who did not play well together.  No former leader, I'm not going to kick someone because they were gathering mobs and on occasion biting off more than they could chew.  It wasn't a big deal but it did blow up in chat.  I sent a tell to the offending player and asked them to stick a bit closer to the rest of us and the problem was solved.

Other than that one experience I haven't seen a lot of problems.  I admit I don't pay a lot of attention to Help but the few times I've noticed it I've occasionally answered someone's question.  More often than not it's fairly newbie stuff like how do I get to x, or what does y mean.

I'm an old fart who played from issue 3 to shutdown and then picked up shortly after Homecoming launched.  Back on Live I played mostly on Guardian where the player numbers were lower so I have certainly noticed the increase in population, and as always the more players you have the more bad players you see.  Personally if someone asks for tips I'll explain and offer suggestions but if they don't ask and aren't being disruptive I'll let them play in peace.  If I need to ask them to change their behavior I'll do it in a tell instead of involving the entire team.  /kick is always, ALWAYS a last resort and I doubt I've used it more than 5 times since 2004.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

This doesn't necessarily apply to the OP but it's definitely clear that people in general call 'toxic' far sooner than I ever would. So far at least on Everlasting it's non stop cuddles and pleasantness.

Only thing I noticed is people are crazy sensitive, but that's not such a bad thing in the grand scheme of things.

... and Nostalgia Goggles ...

Is it wrong that I immediately made a character with this name on every server?

Yes, unless you are actively going to play that character on every server :p

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

In slightly over 3 months on Homecoming I've added 3 or 4 people to my ignore list which is significantly better than any other online game I've ever played. In most other games I've played, that 3-4 would be weekly. Here I find most people are generally well mannered and even inexperienced players are rarely disruptive, so it's easy and fun to be helpful because most people appreciate being helped. The few baby birds that want you to solve their problems for them rather than help them do it themselves? Well, that's what the player ratings / ignore list are for, but fortunately I haven't had to make many negative notes.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Moaning about "toxic people on the internet" in 2019 is like moaning that water is wet.

I hate wet water...I got this guy who uses recycled bottles and fills them with pure dehydrated water and sells them to me at like $5/bottle...I'm thinking about becoming a licensed reseller...Hit me up if you want a deal!  :)

Seriously, this is too true Extor

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

... and Nostalgia Goggles ...

Is it wrong that I immediately made a character with this name on every server?

Only if you play nothing but AT combos that 'used to be good back in the day'. ;)

I sense a regen scrapper in the mix somewhere... and possibly a Stone Armor / Energy Melee tank.

• 4 weeks later
On 7/20/2019 at 11:16 PM, justicebeliever said:

I don't think your notions are old fashioned at all...And I wanted to say that I'm glad your recovering and enjoying City of Heroes.

CoH did a great job fixing Kill Stealing in the game...They ensure that all parties who did at least some damage to a mob, all get credit for the defeat of that mob.  5 guys each do 1/5 the damage, all 5 guys get the defeat.  But people don't know this, and they sometimes get really bent out shape instead of just politely saying "Thanks for the Help, I got it from here".

Hope you stick around!

Thank you for your kindness.  My right side is still about 25% dead but I can get by nicely on what is left.

I was unaware of the fix you describe, but then I was never one of the "in crowd" nor one for street sweeping unless a mission required it and there was seldom enough other people around at any given spot for it to be an issue.  In specific, this was a mission to defeat 50 carnies.  I was a level 45 tank and knew a few spots in PI where they occasionally spawned at a low enough level I could take them on.  I had spent 20 minutes culling Nemesis, Malta and Rikti before finally getting a mob. I had jumped into their midst and delivered a foot stomp when someone swooped in.  I said, "Fine.  Take them," and left.  And never saw any credit for defeats despite the fact I'm quite sure the foot stomp at least did some minor damage and there was at least one I had close to defeating.  Perhaps there is a required minimum percentage of damage?  Or perhaps without me present to draw their ire the fellow took an express ride to the hospital.  It took another half hour before another mob of carnies spawned for me.  So I hope you can understand my... annoyance.

I had a similar incident a few weeks prior with my level 14 controller.  (Yes, I am an alt-a-holic.)  I had three Council locked down and was very slowly taking them down when a brave scrapper swooped in and finished them.  I got XP to reflect the percentage of damage inflicted but no credit for the defeat.  So I hope you can see why I would make that assumption.  I just think my efforts deserve reward.

I'm soloing occasionally, running radio missions to fill street sweeping mission requirements and limiting my interactions.  Keeping myself to myself.  Since the consensus seems to be I was wrong about all this I think it best.

Have fun!

On 7/22/2019 at 7:12 AM, Extor Prime said:

Moaning about "toxic people on the internet" in 2019 is like moaning that water is wet.

Not moaning, but seeing if my perception that the community is different than I recall it is valid.  I need to check myself these days for perceptions, personality changes, etc. So far it seems I am the same humble, lovable bastard.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:20 PM, Goddangit said:

Those who were always ready to share, "you're doing it wrong", "that costume sucks" and of course the venerable kill-stealer have always been present, but in the days of live they were berated.  It has been my recent experience this is no longer the case.  I am not an admin and I am only one person.  If you choose to have such a community that's none of my business.  I just want to know where I stand.  And if this is simply bad luck on my part.  Conversations with others suggest this is throughout the gaming community.  I've spent recent years recovering from a stroke and playing Skyrim by myself, so I have no reliable basis for knowing how much things have really changed in six years.  What is your experience?  Is what was once considered rude at best no longer so?

There's a community of us that get together with @Positivegamer on youtube. The people are just amazing and we all support each other. We range from new players, old-timers, teenagers to retirees. There's no judgement on the channel just fun and support. I highly recommend coming to one of his streams or jumping into the discord group. We do constant events, raids, badge hunts etc.. and play on Excelsior. I have never had as much playing this game than with group of people. 

I can't say that I've run into the problems described by the OP. 
That's not to say it doesn't happen, just that I've been fortunate not to experience it. My experience has been people going out of their way to be helpful, sending tells complimenting costumes and generally acting like the do-gooders their characters are supposed to be.

• Like 1

My experience playing a bunch on Excelsior has been almost all positive, with no wildly negative experiences.  I tend to just watch LFG for the most part chat-wise, and that's usually fine.  Groups have been excellent, with only an ITF that went pretty sour, but even in that case no one freaked or got angry in chat we just wound up saying "let's be done".  

I send tells all the time complimenting people on their costumes and names.  

When I first started here back in May, I boticed a few asshats here and there. Nothing new for the internet, mmos or people in general. I have, however, noticed that for the past month or so I haven't seen one such person.  The worst I've seen is a bad joke falling flat in a chat channel. 

Now, when subpar comedy is your biggest worry in a game, that's something special. 

(Please note, sometimes the jokes are mine)

• Like 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

I'm mostly on Excelsior, too, and for the most part everyone is amazing.  Sure, there are some grumblies here and there, but I just ignore them (not literally put them on ignore, just don't read their moaning--maybe they're having a bad day and don't rise to the level of actual ignore).  I have seen a few "you're doing it wrong" types who berate teammates for some perceived misuse of powers, but the couple times I've seen it, the critic was wrong, not the player. 

I have witnessed (and once been the target) of utter senseless rudeness, but that's been the exception and not the rule.

I do recommend avoiding pugs that are crazy specific and demanding.  You'll see LFG messages for Posi, for example, demanding tells with powersets and AT and level.  It's Posi.  It's like level 10, and you can do that with literally any team makeup.  Eight defenders can do it, eight blasters, and on.  I do not respond to these people because they will not be fun to team with and are unlikely to construct or lead good teams (not that you need a good team--or leader--for Posi, but you know what I mean :P ).

I do have a funny to share, though, it was shortly after I had found out the game was back, and I was ended up in PI while a Rikti invasion was happening.  I was SO excited.  It had been seven years since I'd heard those sounds, seen those colors, enjoyed the camaraderie as heroes amassed at Portal Corps to fight off the Rikti.  Heals were flying, buffs were zooming, Rikti were dropping like flies.  And all the while some guy was shouting (yes, in all caps) that we all had to GO TO THE PARKING LOT!!!  I still giggle just thinking about it.  He got really incensed, too, asking if no one could hear him (again all in caps).  Everyone just kept doing their thing.  Dunno if the guy ever figured out that you can't herd heroes during a Rikti invasion any better than you can you herd cats.

I guess the thing I'm writing around is just don't let it get to you. There are jerks everywhere and that includes in our beloved game.  Ignore them, avoid them, laugh at them, and just move on with your day.  We have our City back, and that's what really matters.  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Tahliah said:

I do have a funny to share, though, it was shortly after I had found out the game was back, and I was ended up in PI while a Rikti invasion was happening.  I was SO excited.  It had been seven years since I'd heard those sounds, seen those colors, enjoyed the camaraderie as heroes amassed at Portal Corps to fight off the Rikti.  Heals were flying, buffs were zooming, Rikti were dropping like flies.  And all the while some guy was shouting (yes, in all caps) that we all had to GO TO THE PARKING LOT!!!  I still giggle just thinking about it.  He got really incensed, too, asking if no one could hear him (again all in caps).  Everyone just kept doing their thing.  Dunno if the guy ever figured out that you can't herd heroes during a Rikti invasion any better than you can you herd cats.

I guess the thing I'm writing around is just don't let it get to you. There are jerks everywhere and that includes in our beloved game.  Ignore them, avoid them, laugh at them, and just move on with your day.  We have our City back, and that's what really matters.  

The reason for that is because the police drones in Portal Corps will zap nearby Rikti.  Goodbye, XP, INF, and Vanguard merits.  Not that that excuses yelling, but there was a legitimate reason to ask people to move.  Of course, people being people, like you said it's like trying to herd cats.  Which is why I don't bother with Rikti zone invasions in PI.

Edited by Apparition

I play exclusively on Torchbearer and as much as I can remember, everyone has been great. I haven't seen anything nasty or negative. Yes, maybe I have been in the right channels to not see this, but I even with the main globals, no problems.

I did a TF once (I can't remember which one.. someone will know it when I describe the situation) where I was given the star because I was the only level 50 in the group. I didn't mind, but I really had NO idea what to do. This TF involved about 15 hunt missions in different hero zones, one right after the other.  (The TF started in FF). One of the of the TF members, who I had never played with before, stepped up and started explaining what needed to be done and assigned every player a zone to go to and where to go next. It was amazing and made something really tedious much easier. I thanked him for doing that and he actually apologized for "taking the team leader role" from me. I told him I was grateful that he did it. I have done other TFs with him because I know he knows his stuff and how to run a TF. 

Everyone I've teamed with, from pugs to channel members to SG members, have been helpful and polite. I've only had one bad pug and that was because the leader wanted to play at +4 and I wasn't equipped to handle it. I left after our second mission, thanked him for the invite, but told him the group was out my league at the moment. 

I've only blocked one person so far and that was because I accidentally had my /bind go off in help rather than team. I had been talking to someone about incarnate slotting and forgot to click back into team. He took it as his right to send me a /tell and say quite rudely (in my opinion) not to spam the help channel with my battle cries. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen in help and to be honest you normally move on and ignore the odd weirdness. Not this guy, so I apologised and blocked him. I've seen no end of out of context comments on help because someone was answering a question and forgot to change channel. I'm not sure what past experiences made this guy think it was ok to go to the trouble of actually messaging me. Probably having a bad day 🙂