Does it bother anyone else how Hurdle makes you jump way faster than Swift makes you run?

Vanden

It seems ridiculous to me! With both, you jump 50% faster than you run at base. I always took Swift and never Hurdle before Stamina was inherent, because I hate how Hurdle turns you into a bunny-hopping weirdo if you want to move fast. I asked Castle once why it was that way, and all he said was "Weird math." Which makes no sense to me, since Combat Jumping barely increases your jump speed at all, so it doesn't seem like Hurdle HAS to make you jump faster in order to work.

On 8/12/2019 at 10:46 PM, Vanden said:

It seems ridiculous to me! With both, you jump 50% faster than you run at base. I always took Swift and never Hurdle before Stamina was inherent, because I hate how Hurdle turns you into a bunny-hopping weirdo if you want to move fast. I asked Castle once why it was that way, and all he said was "Weird math." Which makes no sense to me, since Combat Jumping barely increases your jump speed at all, so it doesn't seem like Hurdle HAS to make you jump faster in order to work.

I wouldn't say it bothers me per se - I just chalked it up as an oversight on the part of the original devs;  They probably didn't expect people to do a lot of "bunny hopping around".  I remember before fitness was inherent that a lot of people used to stack SS and stealth, so they'd take hurdle over swift, since the run speed was already taken care of.  It may also have to do with swift also buffing fly speed, which is why the run speed buff isn't as much... 

I'm guessing like how some games let you run faster by moving diagonally or with strafe-jumping in certain physics-enabled games like TF2, the reason for jumping giving you more speed is a combination of two sources of motion stacking on each other and physics retaining some of the momentum of your movement which adds onto the stackability of movements.

Another way to think of it is that instead of moving diagonally on the ground, you're moving diagonally in the air and so the combination of running AND jumping are stacking on each other. And considering that holding space will always make you jump the moment you touch ground, there is virtually no physics gap between jumping and landing on the ground to reset your momentum again. Another example is when you holding space to move upwards while flying and turning your flight power off, making you seemingly shoot up into the air before gravity catches up with you. Turning it on while holding space and turning flight off again gives you another burst of upward momentum.

So the teal deer is: Physics and modes of mobility stacking on top of each other is why Jumping is faster than merely running.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oneirohero said:

So the teal deer is: Physics and modes of mobility stacking on top of each other is why Jumping is faster than merely running. 

This is true in some games, but there doesn't seem to be any reason for it in CoH. Jump Height and Jump Speed are discrete, separate stats, and there's no apparent reason why Hurdle's buff to the latter are so strong.

10 hours ago, Vanden said:

This is true in some games, but there doesn't seem to be any reason for it in CoH. Jump Height and Jump Speed are discrete, separate stats, and there's no apparent reason why Hurdle's buff to the latter are so strong.

I'd wager that [Sprint] is the origin of the reasoning.