Daily login rewards. It can be done, right?

I mean, the guys running this thing have the keys to all the arcade machines (so to speak), they can make this happen, right?

If so, what kind of daily login rewards would you like to see?

Influence?

Merits?

Enhancements?

XP boosts?

Not a huge fan of this particular game mechanic. 

It makes sense for a commercially run game, that is dependent on keeping their numbers constant in order to prove their worthiness for funding...

But for a completely volunteer project like this?  meh.

Awful, awful, awful idea. The only point of Daily Login mechanics is for devs to keep you coming back to their game in order to throw more money at them, often in the shape of microtransactions.

These servers are currently free. Adding something like this would be counterproductive in the extreme.

Daily log-ins are one of those things that sound good on paper since yay free stuff just for showing up.  But, yeah, it's just there to keep you coming back.  And when the Homecoming devs are desperately trying to manage server population, adding something that encourages people to show up daily would be very counter-productive.

That's something that a resident code-monkey would need to answer.  Anyone can say it's possible, but until someone who's got their hands in the code can confirm or deny if it's possible, it's just speculation at best - and honestly, I think there's enough other ideas I'd (and I'm guessing other people) would want to see over a log-in calendar that I could see it getting passed up just for priority's sake.

... but if there WAS a log-in calendar, I'm thinking either influence or reward merits.  XP boosts would be a bit useless for a level 50 (unless you made new alts, which not everyone does), and enhancements range from "not really useful at all" to "so broken if we got it for free".  Maybe some random salvage packs?

Hope that answers your question, even if I share the sentiment of, "I'd rather they not."

I don't recall them being in the live version, but I may be mistaken. That being said, not to sure if it can be done. From what I've seen so far it's been pretty much original code in game. Sure they activated some of the things that were still on the oven when the game shut down, but adding new code for something that is relatively new in gaming terms is kinda risky. I never even heard of daily rewards until I played Neverwinter Online and the Elder Scrolls Online, seems like a waste in my opinion. Anything that is going to FUBAR things shouldn't even be toyed with, and yes playing the game is good enough for me.

Not a huge fan of this particular game mechanic. 

It makes sense for a commercially run game, that is dependent on keeping their numbers constant in order to prove their worthiness for funding...

But for a completely volunteer project like this?  meh.

Agreed plus dailies make games feel like a chore after a little while.

I mean, the guy's running this thing have the keys to all the arcade machines (so to speak), they can make this happen, right?

If so, what kind of daily login rewards would you like to see?

Influence?

Merits?

Enhancements?

XP boosts?

Are you familiar with the term Monty Haul?

http://arcana.wikidot.com/monty-haul

Essentially you create an expectation creep and it erodes the game. We already have login rewards to a lesser degree with daily jobs and as the game currently stands, it has so much more given freely and with more bonus than it ever had when it was under different management and for their purposes of monetization.

There is no need to further incentivize or make others feel obligated to disingenuously log in to play.

Opinions aside... (and all of which seemed to have dodged the question); all I'm asking if it's something that can be done.

Actually the answer is, even if they could we don't think they should.

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

Opinions aside... (and all of which seemed to have dodged the question); all I'm asking if it's something that can be done.

Thank you, Dr. Ian Malcolm.

I mean, it's DEFINITELY doable, in some fashion or another.  I don't know the specifics of how they could go about doing it, but I am sure our team could come up with something to do it. Bare minimum, the game is equipped for code redemption, so they could figure out how to use that and have a new code every day in the GMOTD. The real questions are:

How hard would it be to do?

And

Is it worth doing? (Which is a factor of: Player interest, dev interest, and difficulty to do)

For my part, I would say it's not worth it. As others have said, dailies are used to keep people "engaged" with the game. ("I need to log in to get my thing today." "Well I'm logged in, I may as well play for a little bit.") In a free, community driven server like this... we don't need to encourage people to come back, because this isn't a for-profit system, if people lose interest in the game, there is no significant incentive to keep them coming back every day "in case they decide to play again"

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Not a fan of login rewards or daily's if your only logging in for rewards or to do a chore list then the game has a problem lack of content, boring gameplay or lack of diversity are the big offenders.... any game dev spending time on making incentives to get people to login should be spending time making engaging content instead.... Most games that have these things are just preying on the fear of missing out psychology sales tactics get them logging in shuv microtransaction in their face and limited time deals.

Don't be a jerk just because you don't like the answer.

Don't be a jerk just because you don't like the answer.

Not a Jurassic Park fan?

ian-malcolm-open-shirt.jpg.a9e20f8e671cfab7d6ac7f842e77aec5.jpg