Post here if you're a Mac user having trouble with Island Rum after the August 22 update

GM Capocollo

• Retired Game Master

With the roll-out of the new version of the Homecoming client, some Mac users are having difficulty with setting up the new version of Island Rum required to launch the 64-bit client.  Unfortunately, the GM team is a little short on people with Mac experience at the moment, so we're having trouble supporting everyone coming to us with issues.

Post here if you're having trouble, being sure to share what exact problem you're having and what you've done so far to try to fix it, and if you're a Mac power user with a good understanding of the installation process, we'd appreciate it greatly if you could provide some help.

• Like 1

Island Rum updated fine, installed Homebrew via Terminal with no problems, then installed Wine with Homebrew and started up Island Rum again. Selected 64-bit client, get the green check mark, and then nothing. Island Rum closes out and CoH does not open/load.  Tried manually moving the files from the previous CoH directory into Applications/coh as suggested in Manga's post, but still nothing. I'm running Mojave on a MacBook Pro. Thanks in advance for any suggestions as to what I'm missing. 

• Like 4

Definitely having some issues here.  I launched Island Rum and let it run its update, then got a Wineskin box with options to "Install Software".  Clicked install, but it didn't work (and now I don't remember what it said).  Came to forums, trying to follow Manga's instructions and installing Homebrew now.  I never had to do that before, and needed to google how to even access my IO Terminal manifest.  The terminal manifest seemed to go through a lot of stuff for the install, but has been stopped on "Installing Command Line Tools" for a very long time.  I assume this has nothing to do with Island Rum though, as Homebrew is just a 3rd party code?  

So at this point, I'm just sitting here unable to do anything, because Homebrew isn't fully installing and Island Rum won't do anything without Homebrew and CoH won't do anything without Island Rum.  ::cries::

• Like 2

So, this is not an installation problem, per se...

But there is a UX regression in the new client on my mac (10.14.5, on a late 2018 mac mini):

First some context: I have two monitors, and I generally run either games or productivity apps on the left monitor, and various social/information things on the right monitor. I also have my dock pinned to the right side of the right monitor.

Mouse look has ... quirkier behavior than it used to:

• If I hold right click and spin my mouse quickly to the right far enough to hit the dock, it "uncaptures" so that I have normal mouse action, but the moues is still "hidden" unless I take the time to click on the menu bar up top.
  • If I use a mouse-look toggle binding, the mouse immediately unhides on going off the right edge of the left monitor, but the game window still thinks it has the mouse. This means that when I mouse back into the game window, it's still trying to do mouselook... and can sometimes respond erratically to the mouse state (I once had it spin for 5-6 seconds after reacquiring the mouse). In practice, with my current mouselook settings, I can turn about 60 degrees to the right before my mouse is on the right monitor. Needing to preferentially turn to the left is a little suboptimal. 🙂

Edit: I worked out the reproduction case for the wild spinning: If I toggle mouselook on with a binding, move my mouse to the other monitor, and click on anything to give it focus, then returning my mouse to the game window causes wild spinning until I click on the game window to give it focus back.

Edited by esotericist
Additional information for hilarious failstate

Failed to install Homebrew

I loaded Island Rum and I get a message that Homebrew failed to install and to install it manually.  I paste the code into Terminal and it gets to  point where it asks for a password.  I don't require a password to log into my computer and I have tried a password that I would have used IF i used one, but I still get the incorrect password results.  Am I missing something here?

10 minutes ago, Team7 said:

Failed to install Homebrew

I loaded Island Rum and I get a message that Homebrew failed to install and to install it manually.  I paste the code into Terminal and it gets to  point where it asks for a password.  I don't require a password to log into my computer and I have tried a password that I would have used IF i used one, but I still get the incorrect password results.  Am I missing something here?

Another thread said to run it as administrator.

• Like 1

Right now I tried opening the game. I'm getting the messages "Beginning update," "Creating Holding Area 100%", and it's blinking saying "Scanning," but nothing has happened for about an hour now. I did update homebrew and wine.

Edited by BollWeevil
Updating info

I'm able to launch the game in both 64 and 32 bit mode and get to character select.  However, after starting to zone in the game crashes at about 40% loading the zone.  Included is the backtrace from the 64 bit mode attempt.

Mojave 10.14.6

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 32 GB

Boot ROM Version: 220.270.99.0.0 (iBridge: 16.16.6568.0.0,0)

backtrace.txt

Edited by Keleko

This may sound really simple - but when people say CoH is installed in Applications/CoH - do you mean you have a folder called CoH under applications and in that folder you have put the Island Rum.App and the CoH.App? OR that those two .App files are "loose" under Applications? My CoH install has never quite worked right - I've never managed to launch through Island Rum - it does that patching OK, green tick then nothing... so what I have to do is right click on the CoH.App - Show Contents, then open the Wineskin and goto advanced then Test Run - that launches the game and seems to run fine (crashes now and again).

Screenshot shows how my files are un Applications.... surely it's not as simple as me needing to rename from City of Heroes to CoH is it? (prepares to hang head in shame).

Any ideas what I'm missing with my install? Have installed HomeBrew and Wine (should we have Wine AND WineSkin installed?)

All help gratefully received!

Screenshot 2019-08-22 at 19.55.51.jpg

Hi guys. Came here from the discord #new-client-issues and things seem to be escalating there, too much for my mild mannered self.

So.

I ran Island Rum.
It downloaded the new stuff until the green tick mark appeared.
Got the new choices on the splash screen (Homecoming 64-bit and HC beta 64-bit are greyed out).
Clicked Homecoming (topmost choice)
- opens a wineskin pop up that says I need to install additional software
- same deal when I click the CoH app icon from launcher
- I have no idea what to do or how to do it. I have no technological savviness whatsoever.

Clicked Homecoming Safe Mode
Game runs fine. 

Do I need to be running Homecoming or Homecoming 64-bit? Or can I stay in blissful ignorance in Safe Mode? I play the game on an old 2011 Mac Mini running El Capitan (long story, don't ask).

This is what worked for me, based on Manga's instructions (updated two Macs - a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both running Mojave):

1. Make sure Island Rum is updated to version 082220191. Shut it down.

2.  Install Homebrew and Wine via your Terminal (located under Applications/Utilities. You need to run it as the admin for your Mac as it will ask you for your Mac password).  Follow the instructions at http://brew.sh first, and after Homebrew installs, run "brew install wine" in Terminal.

3. When all that is done (take a few minutes), re- open Island Rum. You should see some progress bars updating and installing. If you don't, open the first drop-down menu (the palm tree) and select RESCAN. (You could probably rescan either way, just to double-check). When that's done, close Island Rum and re-start your Mac.

4. Upon re-boot, re-open Island Rum, make sure "Homecoming 64-bit" is selected and proceed as you normally have done. 

That should do it! (I hope) 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So given my difficulty with the mouse, I decided to try using safe mode, only to discover that the safe mode client doesn't seem to accept click events whatsoever for me with wine 4.0.1.

I was told in the discord channel #new-client-issues that this is because newer wine versions don't correctly support the input scheme that the old client relies on.

So I started an adventure to find a version of wine installable via brew that will work, and I ended up with wine 2.0.3_1, installed via:

brew uninstall wine

brew install https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/e3cd186643a689b83bd21259dfd9b41d670a0dc1/Formula/wine.rb

To my surprise, this allowed me to use both the safe mode client and the newer 32-bit and 64-bit clients, with everything apparently working.

Edit: Note that this is not a simple one-and-done change in that tinkering with the installed wine version can sometimes have weird effects. Most notably you might also need to manually kill any lingering wine processes using the activity monitor.

If you aren't prepared to do some fiddling, I wouldn't recommend trying what I did here.

Edited by esotericist
disclaimer
  • Like 1

Would any other mac user with a functioning install be kind enough to share a screenshot of their applications folder so I can see what theirs looks like for comparison in terms of their CoH folder and where they have COH.App files - am currently doing a rescan and it's looking very messy compared to what it was before. Thanks!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ColdSpark said:

Would any other mac user with a functioning install be kind enough to share a screenshot of their applications folder so I can see what theirs looks like for comparison in terms of their CoH folder and where they have COH.App files - am currently doing a rescan and it's looking very messy compared to what it was before. Thanks!

spacer.png

Note that the coh folder appears to be a link into the equivalent folder deeper into CoH.app's contents. Contents of one reflects the contents of the other.

Edited by esotericist
clarity
  • Like 1

I lied, @colombdawg.  Checked back an hour or so later (doing school with the kiddos so I wasn't watching), and it was all there.  I hadn't touched anything.  Game even loaded.  Graphics are a hot steaming mess, but cleaning that up now.  So, maybe reboot as @Firetrapsaid above, or just wait?

Of course, this is all after spending time this morning reinstalling Island Rum and also installing Homebrew for the first time.  Hope it works for you!

Edited by PlazmaCat

I really hope someone can help me.  I'm running Mac OS X Sierra.  I updated Island Rum and then it didn't see my CoH installation.  I found Manga's post in the Patch Notes thread and installed Homebrew and used it to install Wine.  Island Rum still didn't see my installation.  So I deleted my old CoH install and ran Island Rum again, this time it installed the game.  But...  Nothing happens when I try to launch the game.  Something happened and all the files that Island Rum "installed" are sitting in the CoH folder, not in the standard Wine-style hierarchy.  And the .exe files aren't set to be opened by Wine.  By that I mean, the default application to open those files isn't Wine.  The odd installation method used for Wine doesn't set .exe files to be opened with it, and I can't figure out where the Wine executable is to aim these particular .exe files at to work.

Anyone?  Help?!?!?!?

• Like 1

Had no issues with Island Rum until today. Attempting a homebrew patch (http://brew.sh) as prompted by the client but I'm not sure if it will work.  Also, I see that CreamSoda is listed as client for Mac but when I downloaded it I was unable to open it (said the unarchiver was unable to open it).  Has anyone else run into this issue? Any advice? If the homebrew patch update works I will update

7 minutes ago, EgyptoNerd said:

I can't get island rum to work anymore. I can launch CoH directly from the .app but if I use island rum it just launches, then nothing. 

now experiencing same issue as you are, just get a spinning wheel when I try to open it

1 hour ago, lilayrl92 said:

Had no issues with Island Rum until today. Attempting a homebrew patch (http://brew.sh) as prompted by the client but I'm not sure if it will work.  Also, I see that CreamSoda is listed as client for Mac but when I downloaded it I was unable to open it (said the unarchiver was unable to open it).  Has anyone else run into this issue? Any advice? If the homebrew patch update works I will update

With the homebrew patch link above in my previous comment I was able to launch the 64bit version no troubles. Hope this helps

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 6.04.57 PM.png