Post here if you're a Mac user having trouble with Island Rum after the August 22 update

GM Capocollo

32 minutes ago, Caemgen said:

With Island Rum up, the tree icon in top left corner.  Select that then select Reset Path.  It should point to Applications/CoH

Ive got the game working in safe mode now. But in island rum the 64bit option is still greyed out and it gives me the wineskin pop up if i select it..

I had the game working just fine after update last week. Reading through posts, it may have been running the Wineskin version. But at least it was running. Go to launch it today, it downloads an Island Rum update, and the Homecoming 64 Bit is grayed out. I remove CoH.app from Applications, relaunch, and after downloading some files, 64 bit is no longer greyed out. Attempt to launch game, get green check mark, but nothing happens. I remove the coh folder. Island Rum says no client, downloads all the files.

Attempt to launch again. Green check mark. Again, nothing happens.

Read through this again. Remove the .wine file from Applications. Try to launch again. Nothing Happens.

Reboot Mac. Run ReScan in Island Rum, Reset Path in Island Rum to Applications/coh. Attempt to relaunch. NOTHING HAPPENS.

I spent MORE THAN 4 HOURS fighting with this last week to get back into the game. I've been at this an hour and half this week. I'm more than a little upset right now. I love this game, but if I have to do this every time Island Rum is updated, I may give up on it.

Takehai

Global Handle @Night.Fyre

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

Something that would help a lot of us, likely, is an info pane within Island Rum itself that could explain basics in an untechnical way, where possible. Like:

August 28, 2019

Island Rum version: xxxxxx, updated on July 37, 2019

Current Homecoming 64-bit client version: xxx, updated on May 52, 2019

Current Homecoming beta version: xxx, updated on May 52, 2019

If you have an older version, you'll need to update. Here are the steps for this update:

1. Click on the palm tree icon, and choose Violate Causality.

...and so on.

A good back up would be a Twitter account with that info.

Okay. I'm done fighting with this today. Over two and half hours. I've deleted the game, Island Rum, and the coh directory _twice_, uninstalled wine, reinstalled wine, had wine reconfigure by running 'wine start', deleted the .wine file twice. Rebooted the Mac several times. Still nothing,

Manga, I do appreciate you creating Island Rum and continuing to work on it for free. But it is still frustrating and upsetting to have an update that makes it completely unusable again. I can't get into Homecoming, Homecoming 64 bit, HC Beta/Beta 64 bit, Paragon Chat, Titan Icon. Safe Mode are all greyed out. I'm walking away from this for now before I throw my keyboard through the screen.

Takehai

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

OS 10.11.6

Moved CoH.app and City of Heroes.app out of Applications folder.

Downloaded and unzipped this and moved Island Rum.app into my Applications folder, overwriting the previous version.

https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

Ran it, got a message that Game Client Not Detected! so i clicked Install.

"MD5 Error Downloading macclient-wineskin.zip"

image.png.f419a5be1013f00852a5021db19d071e.png

Then it quits.

The update today caused Island Rum to completely stop working on Mac OS X Mojave. I was able to play last night without an issue. This evening, when I opened Island Rum I received the same error message that other users have reported: "Creating Holding Area: 100%".

I attempted to solve this by downloading a fresh copy of Island Rum from https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

I removed my old copy of Island Rum, and placed the new copy of Island Rum in my Applications/coh/ directory.

I then received an error: "Game Client Not Detected" when I opened the new version of Island Rum. I used the "Reset Path" option to set the path to the Applications/coh/ directory. This did not do anything. I then used the "Re-scan files" option. This causes Island Rum to present an error and crash. Opening Island Rum again resulted in a second error and a crash. Island Rum subsequently crashed each time I opened it.

I then deleted my entire Applications/coh directory and created a new one. I placed a new copy of Island Rum in the new directory. I then clicked "Install" when the "Game Client Not Detected" error popped up. This meant that I had to download all of Homecoming/CoX's files again.

Once this process finished, an error message popped up to say that my Wine configuration was out of date. (It was not out of date.) I deleted the .privatewine directory in my home folder and allowed Island Rum to create a new one.

After all of this, Homecoming finally launched. I have to say, this is not a smooth update process.

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 6.58.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 6.59.51 PM.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gibson99 said:

@Astrobear

I followed the instructions and it's not running.

What's my next step? I knew this kinda stuff would happen! 

(large pictures removed from quote)

Not an expert, as witnessed by my lack of ability to fix my own issues. But looks to me you have all the CoH files inside what should be your Island Rum.app. They should be in a folder named "coh" in Applications. Island Rum itself should be a separate app in the same folder. You might try redownloading the app, and deleting what you currently have in Applications, and see if it running the new app fixes your issues. Good luck, it hasn't worked for me.

• Like 2

Takehai

Confirmed Alt-oholic....

I down loaded everything required...was playing the 64-bit and now when I log in and choose a character to play...it will not load completely to allow me to start playing the game...any ideas of what is up? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 6.55.59 PM.png

Edited by AZRon
Added a photo of where I get stuck

I'm running Mac OS X Sierra (10.12.6) on a MBP A1286 (2.7ghz, 16gb RAM).  With last week's update, I ended up reinstalling the game from scratch, and it worked just fine.  Today's update killed the game.  My Island Rum could not find my install no matter what I tried.  So... I trashed my City of Heroes folder and reinstalled from scratch again.  Nothing.  The game does nothing.  No hits, no runs, no errors.  Reading through several posts, I deleted my .wine folder and that did nothing either.  No safe mode options either.

I'm going to uninstall wine, try another from scratch install and see if that makes a difference.  Did this and nothing.  Rebooted and tried this yet again.  Still absolutely nothing. 

I really thought playing CoH again was way too good to be true.  Now at least for me it is.  Take care, folks.  I'll check back at some point and see if anything's gotten better.  Keep Paragon City safe for me.

Edited by Lady Blue
updated

15 hours ago, Caemgen said:

Ok, I got back in...

After resetting path to Applications/CoH  I had to choose the Install Client or some similar option that popped up with it saying it could not detect game client.  I was reluctant 'cause doing so said it was reinstalling wine but I decided to go with it and it worked...

Good luck.

Hiya.

Could you clarify exactly what you did here, with regards to resetting the path and choosing the install file? I have no tech savvy at all.

Thx for your help

1 hour ago, Necessity Bear said:

Hiya.

Could you clarify exactly what you did here, with regards to resetting the path and choosing the install file? I have no tech savvy at all.

Thx for your help

Unfortunately I am not the tech savviest either and I wasn't taking notes on what I did or such...

But...

I started Island Rum and clicked the Tree Silhouette icon in top left corner.  

I chose Reset Path which is third option down.

I used the arrows to navigate around to Applications then clicked the CoH folder in Application.

With Island Rum now knowing where my CoH folder was I got a little option in the center of Island Rum that I at first mistook as just a background or such.  It had two options, Install and Cancel as I recall.  I was hesitant at first 'cause when I have in and chose Install it said it was installing Wine and I *thought* I had done that last update via the Terminal...  But nothing else was working so I let it install...

And it worked.  Once it did it's little install I was back in game.  🙂

22 hours ago, Manga said:

Island Rum auto-updates because I don't want to maintain and support a bunch of different versions.

I think that could have been solved by having a stickied Mac Support post stating to update Island Rum to the latest version to see if that solves your problem before asking your question.  At any rate though, I hope you can fix it at some point.

1 hour ago, Lady Blue said:

I think that could have been solved by having a stickied Mac Support post stating to update Island Rum to the latest version to see if that solves your problem before asking your question.  At any rate though, I hope you can fix it at some point.

I don't have any control over the forums whatsoever, I simply post to them just like you do.

As for everyone else:

- The latest Island rum is 082820192.  If you don't have that one, download it from https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

- I see a lot of errors that tell me a few of you are running Island Rum on a limited account (without permission to access Applications).  Make sure you're an Administrator.

- If you need to reset your Wine installation for some reason, open Termianal and type "rm -R ~/.privatewine".  I'm still not entirely sure if Homebrew Wine still interferes somehow (I did my best to prevent that), so you might want to also "rm -R ~/.wine" and then "brew remove wine", at least for testing.

- All testing was done with the path set to "/Applications/coh".  I've seen problems with it installed in folders within /Users.

- If you're using macOS 10.12 or higher, remove CoH.app and CityOfHeroes.app from the Applications folder and see if Island Rum can handle installing Wine and launching the game that way.

- I'm aware that the Winetricks package might fail in 10.14 or higher.  I'm still not certain why, but I suspect xprotect is involved, since removing and reinstalling the package takes a few days before it gets itself broken again.  I have managed to launch it a few times with the 32-bit client in testing.  The Winetricks package is too old for 64-bit and won't launch it.

- I personally tested Island Rum and the packaged Wine on both 10.15 Catalina and 10.14.6 Mojave.  I don't have a lot of variety of hardware and software to test it on, so I got this far by guessing.  It's the perfect storm of guessing, because not only are people running macOS all the way back to 10.6 Snow Leopard, but Wine isn't exactly a pillar of stability when it is working right.  Nevertheless, I do have it launching reliably in 10.14.6 and 10.15 with an Administrator user, and installed in /Applications/coh.  I also tested both as "clean" installs, removing Homebrew Wine first. 

Edited by Manga
  • Thanks 3

I moved my City of Heroes.app and CoH.app back to my Applications folder, re-ran the new Island Rum and after it downloaded some updates it let me back in to Safe Mode.

64 is greyed out and the regular Homecoming says I need to install Wineskin but can't find the executable.

I followed the instructions on a clean catalina public beta 6 install and it works out of the box. Also willing to test upcoming mac clients and perhaps enlist in HC beta 64 if time permits. Thank you HC for bringing the game back.

Screenshot 2019-08-30 at 3.11.15 AM.png

Edited by solaw
  • Like 1

I'd just like to mention that my CoH app from Launcher works again. After the 8/22 update, it would give me an error message (which I can't exactly recall) or just plain not do anything. I had to resort to firing up Island Rum and choosing Safe Mode. But out of habit, I accidentally clicked the Launcher icon and the game loaded fine. I'm quite certain it's still in Safe Mode or the old version, but I don't mind since it lets me play without any fuss. I'll just get out of everyone's hair and wait for the one-click updated Island Rum version to come out.

Incidentally, I play on a vintage 2011 Mac Mini with El Capitan and a wonky keyboard and mouse. 😃 Would my machine even support Homecoming 64-bit?

Warning to all other Mac users who wind up clean loading Island Rum and CoH client after today's update.

When everything was previously packaged as being in the Show Package Contents styled CoH module, I needed to do a very specific bit of programming in all of my bindloadfiles that called other bindloadfiles when using a binds folder to keep them all neatly organized in.

/bindloadfile "C:/Program Files/coh/binds/filename.txt"

Following today's Island Rum update that forced me to delete and clean load Island Rum and the CoH client, resulting in a new file structure, my bindloadfile calls broke.

The updated path to get those bindloadfiles working again for me became:

/bindloadfile "./binds/filename.txt"

Fortunately I only have ONE bindloadfile that calls other bindloadfiles to be loaded (for my Mastermind Pet Controls, of course), so in my case a simple Find/Replace in a single .txt file was sufficient to overcome this change in the file structure used by the new Mac client for CoH.

Hope this helps anyone else who faces similar problems with their bindloadfiles on their installs.

• Thanks 1

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Yesterday I was able to run Safe Mode. But today it said it couldn't unzip islandrum-mac.zip (which is weird because this is the unzipped file that gave the app I was trying to run)

So I downloaded it from here again: https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

And after unzipping it, moving Island Rum.app to my Applications folder, ran it (Which says Build 082920191 btw) and got the message:

"Can not find NCLauncher! Please locate the application, run it, and try this shortcut again."

I tried clicking on the palm tree icon, Reset Path (3rd option) and finding /Applications/CoH.app but not finding NCLauncher anywhere. Also tried /Applications/City of Heroes.app

41 minutes ago, Garble said:

Yesterday I was able to run Safe Mode. But today it said it couldn't unzip islandrum-mac.zip (which is weird because this is the unzipped file that gave the app I was trying to run)

So I downloaded it from here again: https://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

And after unzipping it, moving Island Rum.app to my Applications folder, ran it (Which says Build 082920191 btw) and got the message:

"Can not find NCLauncher! Please locate the application, run it, and try this shortcut again."

I tried clicking on the palm tree icon, Reset Path (3rd option) and finding /Applications/CoH.app but not finding NCLauncher anywhere. Also tried /Applications/City of Heroes.app

Move CoH.app and City of Heroes.app out of the Applications folder and try it again.  Island Rum doesn't have an error message like that, so it's either coming from the Cider app or from CoH itself.

• Like 1

I'm very sad 😞

COH ran fine on my wife's iMac El Capitan 10.11.5 up until this week.

I believe she last played on Saturday. 

Everything I have tried has failed. I'm using the direct download link :http://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip

The download at that URL is Build 082920191

Other folks seem to be getting a newer build.

INITIAL INSTALL:

At first, none of the normal install guides worked for us.

I had to manually install homebrew, then wine.  That took most of an afternoon, but finally got it working.

LAST NIGHT (8/29/19):

I first tried the normal Island Rum update. Nothing worked.

Then I started reading this thread.  Things I have tried in the last 24 hours, roughly in order, are:

1. Move Island Rum from /Applications/COH and run from /Applications

2. Deleted all old Coh.app file and City of Heroes.app files and tried again

3. Moved Island Rum back into /Applications/COH and run from there

4. Deleted EVERYTHING and created a new /Applications/COH folder. 
     Ran Island Rum from Applications folder.  Getting MD5 error from mac client wineskin download (Build 082920191)

5. Removed wine with brew and deleted the .wine folder from ~ . Ran Island Rum from /Applications (MD5 error)

6.  Ran an older Island Rum client (which downloaded the files) but didn't work, either

7.  Ran the new Island rum client with files already downloaded (MD5 error)

8.  Deleted everything in the /applications/coh folder and ran Island rum again (MD5 error)

Island rum crashes while downloading the wineskin client

9. I decided to at least download all the large files again, so started that. Island Rum Crashed

10. I set the path in Island rum to /Applications/coh.  Download crashed again
      ( I don't believe the path ever got saved when I pressed the disk icon)

11.  Tried to download from manifest by moving Island Rum back into /Applications/coh directory

Got 'unauthorized exception downloading homecoming-beta.exe' and Island Rum crashed

12. Moved Island Rum to downloads folder and ran from there.  The files started downloading, but IR crashed

13. Tried resetting path in IR. The dialog window was too large, and couldn't press the file icon or see the navigation arrows

(Typing in /Applications/coh and pressing ENTER didn't seem to work)

Now I'm stuck.

I can't reset the path for Island Rum. 

I can't download COH files to try running without Island Rum.

I deleted the brew wine install that took most of a day (my mac is old so everything builds from source)

Any suggestions?

Edit:

Here's the log from the Island Rum Client:

tail -f  ~/Library/Logs/Time\ Sync/Island\ Rum/Player.log 

(Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug/Debug.bindings.h Line: 35)

Could Not Detect Game Client

Final originalPath: /Applications/coh/

Downloading Mac Client

Downloading File https://telstar.eekstudio.com/macclient-wineskin.zip

MD5 Error: []

Downloading Mac Client

Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.

Thread -> id: 70000021d000 -> priority: 1  <<<===== Here is where the Island Rum app just crashed.

The Island Rum App crashes differently when I re-scan...

------------------------------

PatchURL: http://map.ff-en.de/coh/hc/20190827/homecoming.exe

Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.

Thread -> id: 70000021d000 -> priority: 1 

Curl error 23: Failed writing body (0 != 2896)

Edit:

I tried using the older client to download all files.

Now it's crashing without log traces.

I may have to reboot the iMac (but will wait for brew to finish installing wine first)

Edited by fbunn
No log file entry for older client.

hello. for my old mac book pro, with the update, i can only play at homecoming safe mode. i hope it will never change for the futures updates and that there s no differences between the safe mode and the other. if i want to run homecmoing he asks me to install wine. i saw i had to go in the terminal but i've forgot my password mac...so...i'm french so i'm not sure to understand all...

Edited by fandrall2