Post here if you're a Mac user having trouble with Island Rum after the August 22 update

GM Capocollo

Hi all – looking for help.

I am downloading everything for the first time today. 

I downloaded Island Rum and Homebrew without any issues. I launched Island Rum and it downloaded ~180 updates. 

Everything seems to be fine, at startup – scanning, etc – and I get to "Ready to Play". However, once I click the play button, it says "Launching Homecoming..." and then nothing happens.

I'm also noticing that I don't have a /coh folder on my computer. Do I need to download some other files? Is Island Rum attempting to launch something that doesn't exist? 

I also tried Wineskin, but once I launch at the beginning, I can't Choose Setup Executable. 

Help would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 5.50.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 5.50.24 PM.png

• Like 1

Brand new Island Rum install - no issues there. Followed the updated Mac instructions at 

Installed Homebrew, then wine - no issues there.
manifest correct. Island Rum version is 082220193 and path has been set to Applications/coh
Client starts to download, get errors with stage1.pigg, stage2a.pigg
After download is complete, click launch but nothing happens. Green arrow, then it just goes back to the launch now blue triangle.
Tried to launch Homecoming and Homecoming 64bit with the same result.
Safe mode is greyed out.

Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.6 (17G7024)
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Edited by EgyptoNerd

3 minutes ago, Siphonic said:

Hi all – looking for help.

I am downloading everything for the first time today. 

I downloaded Island Rum and Homebrew without any issues. I launched Island Rum and it downloaded ~180 updates. 

Everything seems to be fine, at startup – scanning, etc – and I get to "Ready to Play". However, once I click the play button, it says "Launching Homecoming..." and then nothing happens.

I'm also noticing that I don't have a /coh folder on my computer. Do I need to download some other files? Is Island Rum attempting to launch something that doesn't exist? 

I also tried Wineskin, but once I launch at the beginning, I can't Choose Setup Executable. 

Help would be appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 5.50.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 5.50.24 PM.png

Exactly how mine looks and behaves as well.

I've tried several attempts at installing the update when coh would not load

when clicking on island rum a popup:

“Wine Not Detected!”

appears. When i click: i get an infinite spinning wheel and I force quit

clicking manifest does nothing. Not sure if it should..

I installed home-brew and tried to install wine with that and it said wine installed but was not linked or something?..

after playing with the path button it says it is installing wine for mac but no progress showed up and said:

Unauthorized access… ect and abruptly quit

clicked some more junk with the path button. because thats the kind of forward thinking gets stuff done - Random clicking! 😄and a ton (182) files downloaded… no idea. They are still downloading atm. I'm assuming this wont work either and thats fine. I think I'll try starting over from scratch this weekend and if that doesnt work again I'm going to have to accept that I am too old and stupid for computers and I'm going out to  buy a watch calculator and a fanny pack.

running a macbook with OSX El Captain 10.11.6

I am having the exact same problem that others are having. I can click the arrow to launch Homecoming 64-bit, but nothing happens. Here are the steps that I took:

• I deleted my existing City of Heroes directory.
  • I downloaded a new copy of Island Rum from the link that @Manga provided: http://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip
  • I installed Homebrew successfully.
  • I ran "brew install wine" successfully.
  • I restarted.
  • I opened Island Rum and used the "Re-Scan" tool. Everything verified.
  • I selected "Homecoming 64-Bit" and clicked the large arrow at the bottom right corner of the screen. A green check appeared over the arrow. Nothing further happened.

I then troubleshooted by closing Island Rum, deleting my City of Heroes directory, reopening Island Rum, and using the re-scan tool to download the files again. The files successfully download, but Island Rum does not launch City of Heroes.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 8.39.44 PM.png

Just wanted to post that my Mac 64 bit client is now functional.  I did a full game reinstall and removed the .wine directory from my home directory.  The version of Island Rum I tried must have been updated, too, since there was a newer one available now.  I'm able to log in and play.

1 minute ago, modest said:

I am having the exact same problem that others are having. I can click the arrow to launch Homecoming 64-bit, but nothing happens. Here are the steps that I took:

• I deleted my existing City of Heroes directory.
  • I downloaded a new copy of Island Rum from the link that @Manga provided: http://telstar.eekstudio.com/islandrum-mac.zip
  • I installed Homebrew successfully.
  • I ran "brew install wine" successfully.
  • I restarted.
  • I opened Island Rum and used the "Re-Scan" tool. Everything verified.
  • I selected "Homecoming 64-Bit" and clicked the large arrow at the bottom right corner of the screen. A green check appeared over the arrow. Nothing further happened.

I then troubleshooted by closing Island Rum, deleting my City of Heroes directory, reopening Island Rum, and using the re-scan tool to download the files again. The files successfully download, but Island Rum does not launch City of Heroes.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 8.39.44 PM.png

I think the step you need is to delete the .wine directory from your home directory.  I had problems until I did that along with your other steps.  Upgrading the existing .wine directory seemed to have issues with the game launching.

8 minutes ago, Keleko said:

I think the step you need is to delete the .wine directory from your home directory.  I had problems until I did that along with your other steps.  Upgrading the existing .wine directory seemed to have issues with the game launching.

I do not have a .wine directory in my home directory. Can you give me a path to where this directory was located on your computer?

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 8.52.26 PM.png

Edited by modest

Just now, Keleko said:

It does not show in Finder because it is a hidden directory.

Open up Terminal and type this command:

ls -a

You should see it in the list.  If you do, then type this command to remove it.  BE VERY CAREFUL TO TYPE IT IN RIGHT OR YOU COULD DELETE ALL YOUR FILES IN YOUR HOME DIRECTORY!

rm -fr .wine

Then if you use "ls -a" again it should be gone from the list.

I really appreciate that you're taking the time to help me.

I should qualify this by stating that I am familiar with using the command line, and that I have created both Cider and Wineskin wrappers before for other applications.

I do not have a .wine directory. ls -a confirms that no such directory exists.

I ran Homebrew's reinstall tool just in case, and it confirms that I have Wine 4.0.1 installed.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 8.57.41 PM.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, modest said:

I really appreciate that you're taking the time to help me.

I should qualify this by stating that I am familiar with using the command line, and that I have created both Cider and Wineskin wrappers before for other applications.

I do not have a .wine directory. ls -a confirms that no such directory exists.

I ran Homebrew's reinstall tool just in case, and it confirms that I have Wine 4.0.1 installed.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 8.57.41 PM.png

You might have to run "wine64" once to make it generate its config files.

1 hour ago, Manga said:

You might have to run "wine64" once to make it generate its config files.

I started wine and wine64 using the terminal. This created the .wine directory that @Keleko mentioned. I then opened Island Rum and clicked the arrow to run Homecoming 64-bit. The same thing occurs: a green check shows up over the arrow, then nothing else happens.

I then closed Island Rum and deleted the ~/.wine directory. I re-opened Island Rum. I clicked the arrow to open Homecoming 64-bit. Nothing happens.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 9.16.57 PM.png

Edit: I found a fix. Island Rum references "Macintosh HD". If your primary hard drive has any other name, then it won't launch Homecoming.

Edited by modest

On a whim, I renamed the primary hard drive in my computer "Macintosh HD" and tried to launch Homecoming 64 bit again. Island Rum functioned correctly when my hard drive was "Macintosh HD". If it was named anything else, Homecoming would not launch.

This tells me that the name "Macintosh HD" is hard coded into Island Rum. It probably shouldn't be.

8 hours ago, Firetrap said:

This is what worked for me, based on Manga's instructions (updated two Macs - a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both running Mojave):

1. Make sure Island Rum is updated to version 082220191. Shut it down.

2.  Install Homebrew and Wine via your Terminal (located under Applications/Utilities. You need to run it as the admin for your Mac as it will ask you for your Mac password).  Follow the instructions at http://brew.sh first, and after Homebrew installs, run "brew install wine" in Terminal.

3. When all that is done (take a few minutes), re- open Island Rum. You should see some progress bars updating and installing. If you don't, open the first drop-down menu (the palm tree) and select RESCAN. (You could probably rescan either way, just to double-check). When that's done, close Island Rum and re-start your Mac.

4. Upon re-boot, re-open Island Rum, make sure "Homecoming 64-bit" is selected and proceed as you normally have done. 

That should do it! (I hope) 🙂

This worked perfectly for me as well. Thank you so much! Was really worried there!

8 minutes ago, modest said:

On a whim, I renamed the primary hard drive in my computer "Macintosh HD" and tried to launch Homecoming 64 bit again. Island Rum functioned correctly when my hard drive was "Macintosh HD". If it was named anything else, Homecoming would not launch.

This tells me that the name "Macintosh HD" is hard coded into Island Rum. It probably shouldn't be.

Huh. I wonder what's up with that, since I'm using a different name and it's working for me. (I'm used to being the one for whom something doesn't work while others sail on.)

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 8.30.47 PM.png

• Confused 1

I have Island Rum v082220193, have gone through and tried all the solutions posted around the forum so far (deleting .wine folder, reinstalling wine, running winecfg, reinstalling IR, rescanning/redownloading - the works), but I keep ending up with Island Rum failing to launch the game.  I click the blue arrow, get the green check mark, IR sits there for ~15 seconds, then silently terminates.    I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on an iMac Pro, and have never renamed Macintosh HD since the Mac was new.  Any ideas on what else I can try?  I'm completely dead in the water here. 

Thanks!

PS: I ran the IR beta client last weekend, and had no trouble at all - it worked a treat during the 64-bit bug hunt event on Justin.  But the live client is a complete flop for me here.

Edited by Nightclaw

13 hours ago, Six Six said:

Do I need to be running Homecoming or Homecoming 64-bit? Or can I stay in blissful ignorance in Safe Mode?

At the moment the focus is on players who can't run it at all; if you can run it in Safe Mode, stick to it for now. Once we got everyone running the game somehow we can focus on fixes for those who can only run it in Safe Mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EgyptoNerd said:

Exactly how mine looks and behaves as well.

Click on the little round orange palm tree on the top left of island rum. 

Select Re-Scan. 

Wait about an hour for all the files to download. 

Reboot your machine. 

Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls. 

I just wanted to say thanks very much to @Mangafor all his ongoing hard work. 

I found this update technically challenging as it was beyond my comfort zone and level of technical comprehension but I did manage it eventually & yesterday it was running brilliantly in whizzy 64bit. 

I know people are moaning because this update wasn’t plug and play but I think we need to keep sight of the fact that @Manga is doing this out of the goodness of his heart and with no financial or moral obligation to do so. 

Without him,  the vast majority of us Mac users wouldn’t be able to play this game at all. 

Thank you so much @Manga

Edited by Astrobear
  • Thanks 3

In order to get more control over the install process, I’m currently experimenting with a semi-custom “private” 64-bit wine container that Island Rum would download and install.  It will attempt to control as many parameters as possible, including where it installs, how CoH is launched, and the environmental parameters.  It will also start out with a “clean” .wine preferences if possible.

It should enter Beta stage sometime today.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Manga said:

In order to get more control over the install process, I’m currently experimenting with a semi-custom “private” 64-bit wine container that Island Rum would download and install.  It will attempt to control as many parameters as possible, including where it installs, how CoH is launched, and the environmental parameters.  It will also start out with a “clean” .wine preferences if possible.

It should enter Beta stage sometime today.

I think you’re amazing to put so much effort in. Thank you 🙏

17 hours ago, Firetrap said:

This is what worked for me, based on Manga's instructions (updated two Macs - a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both running Mojave):

1. Make sure Island Rum is updated to version 082220191. Shut it down.

2.  Install Homebrew and Wine via your Terminal (located under Applications/Utilities. You need to run it as the admin for your Mac as it will ask you for your Mac password).  Follow the instructions at http://brew.sh first, and after Homebrew installs, run "brew install wine" in Terminal.

3. When all that is done (take a few minutes), re- open Island Rum. You should see some progress bars updating and installing. If you don't, open the first drop-down menu (the palm tree) and select RESCAN. (You could probably rescan either way, just to double-check). When that's done, close Island Rum and re-start your Mac.

4. Upon re-boot, re-open Island Rum, make sure "Homecoming 64-bit" is selected and proceed as you normally have done. 

That should do it! (I hope) 🙂

The Homebrew site is telling me to padte a command in to macOS Terminal prompt. 

Im pretty much mac illiterate. Please can some instruct me on where i paste the command in?

*I found 'Terminal' in my Apps>Utilities. I opened it, it brought up a window with some txt in it, but i couldn't edit or add anything?

• Thanks 1