Which wiki?

MrZork

I just started last week (my first time for both CoH and any MMORPG) and I can't believe I missed this back in the day. Just... Uber. Mega. Fun! But, I have lots to learn, so apologies in advance if this is a silly question...

I see two CoX wikis pop up often in discussions and search results, the Paragon Wiki and City of Heroes Wiki. Is one more up-to-date or better at certain things than the other? Obviously, the former is the one mentioned here most and it seems to have more frequent recent updates. But, I occasionally notice aspects of the latter that are convenient. E.g. the always-at-the-top and case-insensitive-autocomplete search bar or the easy to spot rarity of the sets in the enhancement sets tables (maybe just because I don't have the icons memorized yet). I have noticed that both are missing some things that are in the game (e.g. I was wondering about what turned out to be a vanity pet, but I couldn't search its name).

Anyway, any tips about which one is better at what or even if there are other resources I should be checking out. I have been diving into some of the guides here on these forums and they are excellent. But, I usually look to a wiki when I am trying to look up the specifics about this or that aspect of the game.

I've always preferred Paragon Wiki but I imagine both are useful in their own ways.  Lord knows I had like five different ones I used for SWL, lol.  I do think that once all the dust settles if things go the way we are hoping with Titan Network and Homecoming's current endeavors, that Paragon Wiki will likely be the one that starts getting attention again.

• Like 1

I've always used ParagonWiki. That said, it's basically frozen at where the game was when it shut down. I24 material (which we have on live) is listed as beta, and various tweaks made by the score dev team aren't there at all. Looks like the same is true for City of Heroes Wiki.

There was talk of getting a Homecoming wiki going, but all that is kinda on hold as we wait to see how the licensing negotiations pan out. It's been strongly suggested that if Homecoming becomes official, ParagonWiki would allow updates to reflect the game as it is today.

I'm not sure if there's a solid "This is what's currently different from Live at Shutdown" document being maintained out there.

• Like 1

• City Council

Okay, story time with Widower.

A long time ago, in the far-off days of 2005, TonyV thought to himself "'aight, time to make a wiki." And so Paragon Wiki was born. However, hosting providers didn't like it very much because there was a lot of it. In come the Wikia people, who say "hey, want to join with us?" and to them TonyV said "no." And again the Wikia people came, and again TonyV said "no." But by the third time, the last hosting provider TonyV tried was proving to be too small, so TonyV said "okay!" And all was good for about a year (the move was in 2007, iirc, so this is 2008) until people started complaining for, as Wikia was wont to do, they started infesting the place with ads. And so, TonyV nope'd right out of there, merged with Titan, and you know where that story goes. Paragon Wiki continues to be regularly updated to this day; the Wikia version (for they do not pull their version down when the community forks the site) hasn't been regularly updated since, uh, i17, I think?

So the moral of this story: use Paragon Wiki. Don't use the Wikia version (or FANDOM or whatever they call themselves now).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

Thank you for the advice and the history of the wikis. It's looking like Paragon Wiki is a more favored going forward. It's unfortunate that Google hasn't gotten the memo. When googling "City of Heroes" X, where X is something like Enhancement Sets, the Fandom wiki is almost always the top result, if possibly just because of their name.

And, for sure, that change log would be a boon. Seems likely that it exists somewhere, or is at least available in raw form from the version control logs.

I use the Fandom wiki for other purposes.  It is ad-supported, which always means a risk of malicious code, but use uBlock Origin set to no exceptions and it isn't a problem.  But I've never looked anywhere except to Paragon Wiki for information about the game. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

11 hours ago, MrZork said:

I just started last week (my first time for both CoH and any MMORPG) and I can't believe I missed this back in the day. Just... Uber. Mega. Fun! But, I have lots to learn, so apologies in advance if this is a silly question...

I see two CoX wikis pop up often in discussions and search results, the Paragon Wiki and City of Heroes Wiki. Is one more up-to-date or better at certain things than the other? Obviously, the former is the one mentioned here most and it seems to have more frequent recent updates. But, I occasionally notice aspects of the latter that are convenient. E.g. the always-at-the-top and case-insensitive-autocomplete search bar or the easy to spot rarity of the sets in the enhancement sets tables (maybe just because I don't have the icons memorized yet). I have noticed that both are missing some things that are in the game (e.g. I was wondering about what turned out to be a vanity pet, but I couldn't search its name).

Anyway, any tips about which one is better at what or even if there are other resources I should be checking out. I have been diving into some of the guides here on these forums and they are excellent. But, I usually look to a wiki when I am trying to look up the specifics about this or that aspect of the game.

Use ParagonWiki.  It's the most up to date.
The Fandom site is Wikia.  They're an ad-pusher that hosted an earlier version.
Now, all they do is essentially scrape the ParagonWiki pages.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Use Paragon Wiki, until/unless someone makes a proper (i.e. non FANDOM) wiki for Homecoming. Not everything on Paragon Wiki is accurate for Homecoming, but it's 99% accurate and a heck of a lot closer than anything else we have right now.

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

I found that some stuff is easier to read (on my phone) from fandom.....specifically complete slash command page and the like....pure informational stuff that likely hasn't changed......other information that may be newer or more subjective is better to find on ParagonWiki but tends to be difficult to navigate on my phone.  

Thanks for that. I am favoring ParagonWiki. I don't generally have an issue with Fandom, but that may be because of my ad blocker.

Though, as folks have noted, there are changes not reflected on ParagonWiki, either.

BTW, it should be a little more straightforward to figure out how to edit a wiki page. I registered for a Titan Network account to update a few things I had run across. They are minor things (e.g. the wiki lists an enhancement set as adding 10% to something, but it is 1% in game, etc.), where I would update a page when I notice something off. But, apparently, more than the Titan Network account is needed, as I can find no option to edit. I understand lots of wikis are locked down to keep out spamtards out, there ought to be an obvious way of letting an admin know if a legit user wants to help. 😞

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

ParagonWiki is currently locked in time as to how City of Heroes was back in September 2012.  They wouldn't accept edits for new information as there are plenty of little things that have changed on Homecoming.

This will probably change in the future.

It's just, during the negotiations with NC, that they can't be seen to be partisan towards anyone.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!