STRANGE BUILD REQUEST: speedster like the flash

DrBasics

So I want to be an actual good tank too. But I am willing to sacrifice a lot for the concept of being the fastest man alive. 

I was thinking electric armor because they have a run speed boost in there (plus from what I hear, it's a good defense). Probably Street Justice to pair with it. Anyway, I was thinking of slotting for additional run speed in super super, but also additional slotting the Swift ability. Looking for someone who has a better grasp at making builds to take crack at this strange request.

On 9/2/2019 at 3:08 AM, DrBasics said:

So I want to be an actual good tank too. But I am willing to sacrifice a lot for the concept of being the fastest man alive. 

I was thinking electric armor because they have a run speed boost in there (plus from what I hear, it's a good defense). Probably Street Justice to pair with it. Anyway, I was thinking of slotting for additional run speed in super super, but also additional slotting the Swift ability. Looking for someone who has a better grasp at making builds to take crack at this strange request.

Are you just trying to be fast when running? Or are you asking for extreme recharge?

If you only want fast running, then all you really need is super speed with speed enhancement in it and swift.  If that doesnt get you to speed cap with any io set bonuses, then two slot super speed.  After that, you just need the endurance to keep it on.  You can slot super speed for endurance reduction, maxmize recovery from stamina, get the physical perfection epic power, beef up on recovery io bonuses, use a secondary that provides endurance or endurance reduction, or some combo of those things.  

It is not too difficult to hit run speed cap and keep super speed on all the time. 

If youre interested in maximizing recharge, thats a whole other ball of wax, and will require more build fine tuning and influence.

21 minutes ago, zenijos10 said:

Are you just trying to be fast when running? Or are you asking for extreme recharge?

If you only want fast running, then all you really need is super speed with speed enhancement in it and swift.  If that doesnt get you to speed cap with any io set bonuses, then two slot super speed.  After that, you just need the endurance to keep it on.  You can slot super speed for endurance reduction, maxmize recovery from stamina, get the physical perfection epic power, beef up on recovery io bonuses, use a secondary that provides endurance or endurance reduction, or some combo of those things.  

It is not too difficult to hit run speed cap and keep super speed on all the time. 

If youre interested in maximizing recharge, thats a whole other ball of wax, and will require more build fine tuning and influence.

Well, first thing.. I feel kinda dumb because I didn't know there was a run speed cap. Well, now that I know run speed has a cap I can forget about Elec Armor (I only chose that because it had a run speed increase baked into the set). I know it's kind of stupid, but I really wanted to build a character that was the "fastest on the server". Maybe not as strong or hardy as others, but definitely not losing any races.

4 minutes ago, DrBasics said:

Well, first thing.. I feel kinda dumb because I didn't know there was a run speed cap. Well, now that I know run speed has a cap I can forget about Elec Armor (I only chose that because it had a run speed increase baked into the set). I know it's kind of stupid, but I really wanted to build a character that was the "fastest on the server". Maybe not as strong or hardy as others, but definitely not losing any races.

No need to feel dumb, it's hard to know if no one tells you. 

Staying at the speed cap 100% of time is fun!  Few players will do it, and as a tank people will probably notice.  I have a blaster, Halcyon Fox, who was built around always being at top speed.  The cap almost gives you the luxury of choosing any set in any archetype and still being maximum fast.

Edited by zenijos10

Chatted with a bloke in Atlas park once. He had all of the speedsters as costume changes: Flash, Reverse Flash, Zoom, Black Flash, even Godspeed, I think. Fun bloke. Bought the sprint pack from p2w lady while I was there. Didn't get to ask him what his AT or power sets were. But he sure liked speedsters. I think his global is MarathonMan.

To be fair, being at max run speed but slow in combat does seem to go away from the idea of a speedster like the Flash. Elec does give you +recharge and /sj does animate as a whole fairly quickly.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."

6 hours ago, DrBasics said:

I’m not a build expert, but as was mentioned Super Speed is suppressed during combat.  So there could be value in trying to be the fastest build alive during combat by using any powers, enhancements, buffs and set bonuses that apply a run speed bonus to get as close to the speed cap (92 mph I think?) during combat

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

You could slot things in a way that achieves running speed cap without even taking superspeed with the use of Ninja/Beast Running + Run. My Kin can run as fast as superspeed.

- Xoza Shadow (@Xoza)

Ordo Imperialis / Xoza.net

Everlasting / Excelsior

Arconu1MqVyK.png | Yuri'ko9E28NED.png | Xoza8lnHKLt.png | Nebulum3f2lHyL.png | NovaeZOOTsRk.png | Nebulae9sfLlss.png | ChellnFRzS1G.png | Rayn7KPkl2C.png | MendalarafBfruXW.png | TesliaHPucq9J.png | CybernetBlbsQUx.png | Teras Kasih1GKuZo.png | ArcstalkerXdnlqXI.png | Bull RushNG0EFBL.png

My Costume Archive | My Characters & CreationsMy Binds/Macros | My Club

For gits and shiggles I worked up this build.  This is a Rad/Kinetic Melee tanker.  I chose Rad because I knew it had a speed and recharge buffing power.   The build gets around 60 MPH without turning on super speed.  It won't be the world's tankiest tanker - no fighting pool - but it still sounds like a fun character to play.  Concept might work better for a brute or scrapper.  Other considerations in the build include movement debuff resistance, recharge, recharge debuff resistance, and recovery. 

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 1.962
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

speedster: Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Radiation Armor
Secondary Power Set: Kinetic Melee
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Utility Belt
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Gamma Boost -- PrfShf-End%:50(A), RgnTss-Regen+:30(9), RgnTss-Heal/EndRdx:20(25), RgnTss-EndRdx/Rchg:30(43), RgnTss-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:30(46)
Level 1: Quick Strike -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg:35(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx:35(3), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(3), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg:35(13), KntCmb-Knock%:35(46)
Level 2: Body Blow -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc:50(5), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg:35(7), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx:35(13), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(37), KntCmb-Knock%:35(50)
Level 4: Smashing Blow -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(5), Hct-Dmg:50(7), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(9), Hct-Acc/Rchg:50(43), Hct-Dam%:50(45)
Level 6: Fallout Shelter -- UnbGrd-Max HP%:50(A)
Level 8: Super Speed -- WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng:50(A), WntGif-RunSpd/Jump/Fly/Rng/EndRdx:50(34), WntGif-ResSlow:50(50)
Level 10: Alpha Barrier -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg:50(11), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(11), Ags-Psi/Status:50(50)
Level 12: Taunt -- PrfZng-Dam%:50(A)
Level 14: Beta Decay -- SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb:50(A), SphIns-Acc/Rchg:50(15), SphIns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg:50(15), SphIns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg:50(48)
Level 16: Repulsing Torrent -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg:50(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx:50(17), AirBrs-Acc/Dmg:50(17), AirBrs-Dmg/EndRdx:50(27), AirBrs-Dmg/Rchg:50(34)
Level 18: Particle Shielding -- RgnTss-Heal/EndRdx:30(A), RgnTss-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:30(19), RgnTss-Heal/Rchg:30(19)
Level 20: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(21), RechRdx-I:50(21)
Level 22: Radiation Therapy -- RgnTss-Heal/EndRdx:30(A), RgnTss-EndRdx/Rchg:30(23), RgnTss-Heal/Rchg:30(23), RgnTss-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg:30(48)
Level 24: Proton Armor -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx:50(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg:50(25), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:50(27), Ags-ResDam:50(48)
Level 26: Ground Zero -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(A)
Level 28: Burst -- FrcFdb-Acc/KB:50(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%:50(29), FuroftheG-Acc/Dmg:50(29), FuroftheG-Acc/End/Rech:50(31), FuroftheG-Acc/Dmg/End/Rech:50(31)
Level 30: Power Siphon -- GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg:50(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx:50(31), GssSynFr--Build%:50(46)
Level 32: Meltdown -- EffAdp-EndMod:50(A), EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg:50(33), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc/Rchg:50(33), EffAdp-Acc/Rchg:50(33), EffAdp-EndMod/Acc:50(34), EffAdp-EndMod/EndRdx:50(43)
Level 35: Focused Burst -- SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(36), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(36), MlsFur-Acc/Dmg:35(36), MlsFur-Dmg/EndRdx:35(37), MlsFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(37)
Level 38: Concentrated Strike -- SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg:50(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx:50(39), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg:35(39), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx:35(39), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg:35(40), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:35(40)
Level 41: Burnout -- RechRdx-I:50(A)
Level 44: Conserve Power -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(45), RechRdx-I:50(45)
Level 47: Physical Perfection -- Pnc-Heal/+End:50(A)
Level 49: Freerunning -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+:40(A), Prv-Absorb%:50(40), Prv-Heal:50(42)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I:50(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%:50(A), PrfShf-EndMod:50(42), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg:50(42)
------------

• Thanks 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Conceptually, if you are more interested in 'feeling' like the flash, recolored super reflexes (for the speed blur) and recolored (yellow) electric melee kinda fit the bill. Throw in the electric epic for 'throwing bolts' and you zip into the middle of combat tossing all your enemies (lightning rod) chain induction is zipping over to enemies and smashing them before returning to your spot, and of course, you could always throw in flurry if you want to waste a little time between real attacks for theme reasons. Throw in some superspeed and an electric path aura and you are set. It's simply a shame that you cannot run up the sides of buildings like DCUO.

Personally, I think the theme works a little better for a brute (as you speed up you get more powerful, probably /ea instead of SR) but for a tanker it should work quite well also.

I whipped up a quick build, but looking at the resistance numbers I am not happy with SR. I am used to tankers being able to hard cap resistance AND soft cap defense....but it has a lot of extra HP, regen, and aid self... The endurance is pretty sweet. You should also regularly have a nice absorb to take the edge off, and you can aid self,

However, it is VERY 'flash'. I would suggest autoing practiced brawler instead of hasten, since, as a tanker, your status defense is far more import than always having an overloaded attack chain. Everything is designed to simulate quickly running from bad guy to bad guy and whacking them with static-charged speed-force powered hits. It doesn't have taunt, but there's enough quickness, aoe, and ranged to make it a little superfluous.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.3
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Tanker
Primary Power Set: Super Reflexes
Secondary Power Set: Electrical Melee
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Teleportation
Power Pool: Medicine
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A), Rct-ResDam%:50(3), Rct-Def/EndRdx:50(3), Rct-Def/Rchg:50(5), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg:50(5), Rct-Def:50(11)
Level 1: Charged Brawl -- SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb:50(A), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(17), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(19), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(19), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg:50(21), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg:50(21)
Level 2: Focused Senses -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(11), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(34)
Level 4: Havoc Punch -- SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%:50(A), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(25), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(25), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(27), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg:50(27), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg:50(29)
Level 6: Agile -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(7), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(7), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg:50(9), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg:50(9)
Level 8: Practiced Brawler -- EndRdx-I:50(A)
Level 10: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), Ksm-ToHit+:30(13), LucoftheG-Def:50(13), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(15), Ksm-Def/EndRdx:30(40)
Level 12: Evasion -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(23), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(23)
Level 14: Super Speed -- Clr-Stlth:50(A), Clr-RunSpd:50(15), Clr-EndRdx:50(17)
Level 16: Thunder Strike -- Arm-Dam%:50(A), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx:50(29), Arm-Acc/Rchg:50(31), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(31), Arm-Dmg/Rchg:50(31)
Level 18: Lucky -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+:50(A), LucoftheG-Def:50(33), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx:50(33)
Level 20: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%:50(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg:50(33), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx:50(34)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Recall Friend -- WntGif-ResSlow:50(A)
Level 26: Quickness -- Run-I:50(A)
Level 28: Chain Induction -- Hct-Dam%:50(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx:50(40), Hct-Acc/Rchg:50(43), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(43), Hct-Dmg/Rchg:50(46)
Level 30: Injection -- TmpRdn-Acc/Slow:50(A), TmpRdn-Acc/EndRdx:50(36)
Level 32: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc:50(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+:30(34), ImpArm-ResPsi:40(37), ImpArm-ResDam:40(37), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx:40(37), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg:40(40)
Level 35: Aid Self -- Prv-Absorb%:50(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx:50(36), Prv-Heal:50(36), Prv-Heal/EndRdx:50(50), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg:50(50), Prv-Heal/Rchg:50(50)
Level 38: Lightning Rod -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg:50(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg:50(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx:50(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(39)
Level 41: Mu Lightning -- Dcm-Build%:40(A), Dcm-Acc/Dmg:40(42), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx:40(42), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:40(42), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg:40(43)
Level 44: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg:50(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg:50(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg:50(45), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx:50(45), Rgn-Knock%:50(46)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I:50(A), RechRdx-I:50(48)
Level 49: Field Medic -- RechRdx-I:50(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Spr-Jump:50(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+:50(A), Mrc-Rcvry+:40(46), Pnc-Heal/+End:30(48)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I:50(A), EndMod-I:50(48)
Level 50: Barrier Radial Epiphany
Level 50: Cardiac Radial Paragon
Level 50: Ion Radial Final Judgement
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment
------------

This build would probably work well for Brutes and Scrappers also...it would require significant changes for stalkers, but would probably bend the soft cap over and violate it.

Edited by Frostweaver
posted the wrong build
  • Thanks 1

Hi

-Start giving a decent slotting to Sprint (always toggled of course)

- add 2 slots in Swift and Quickness (Run 50 IO x2)

-add a bunch of + mouvement bonus from IO sets (easy to reach with sets like Gaussian , Aegis, Performance Shifter...) (the +def/+7.5 run too)

--> and you're starting to be a good combat speedster.

Counting only on Superspeed is a mistake since the high speed is cut during combat.

These builds are cool as hell! I may make a really nice speedster build after all with everyone's help! Hopefully this thread will be able to help more than just me. I know the Flash is a very popular hero and I am sure I am not the first to want to create one!