Attuning and you

TraumaTrain

It exemplars and sidekicks up and down within the level range of the Set.

Example:  Set level 25-50

If you are 50, the IOs are 50.

If you are 25, the IOs are 25.

If you are 10, the IOs are 25

Example 2:  Set level 20-40

If you are 50, the IOs are 40.

If you are 40, the IOS are 40.

If you are 25, the IOS are 25.

If you are 20, the IOs are 20.

If you are 10, the IOs are 20.

edit:  Thought I should note, you keep the set bonuses to 3 levels below the IO set range.  So, for example1 you lose set bonuses below 22 and for example2 you lose set bonuses below 17.

Edited by Caulderone
  • Thanks 1

Attuning is mainly done for 2 reasons. 

1. As you are leveling up to have set bonuses and to never have to replace your enhancements.  The enhancements attune to your level and get stronger as you level up so there is no need to replace them with stronger versions.  This is not something that can be done without either a 50 to farm inf for you or playing the market.

2. To keep set bonuses when you do lower level content.  While the enhancement values will always decrease with lower levels attuned or not, the set bonuses are tied to the level of the IO.  With a normal level 50 IO set, you would lose that set bonus below 47.  Now if you attune that set and it is say a lvl 25-50 set, you will keep your set bonus all the way down to lvl 22.

Other notes. Lvl 50 Purple sets and PVP sets act the same way already so there is no need to attune them.  ATO sets and Winter sets are only attuned and always have the set bonus no matter the level, or at least as far back as flashbacks will take you which is lvl 7.  Have not tried dropping all the way to lvl 1 to test.  Lastly you do not have to have access to the power or the slots in order to get the set bonus so if you have your lvl 50 IOed to the gills with ATOs, Winter sets and PVP sets you can have some pretty significant bonuses while doing the Positron TF.

Edited by HelenCarnate
  • Thanks 1

That is a really solid explanation. Thank you!

Just as a follow up question: does it matter what the original level of the IO was? I'm thinking it does not (other than, as both of you pointed out, a set that is rated at level 30-50, for example, loses its set bonuses if you are mal'ed down below 27).

One thing to note is the enhancement values of attuned enhancements don't scale down if you exemplar. They stay at the effectiveness they're at for your true level. However, if you exemplar low enough the enhancement values will get scaled down by the exemplar system, which is a separate system that affects ALL enhancements, and is separate from the attuning mechanic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TraumaTrain said:

That is a really solid explanation. Thank you!

Just as a follow up question: does it matter what the original level of the IO was? I'm thinking it does not (other than, as both of you pointed out, a set that is rated at level 30-50, for example, loses its set bonuses if you are mal'ed down below 27).

You are correct.  It does not matter what level the initial IO was before it was attuned.  However, the AH will convert any crafted IO for sale into whatever level you want, including attuned.  So if I put up a LotG recharge IO up for sale that is a lvl 29.  You could buy it as a lvl 50 or could even buy it as attuned for the exact same price.  Because of this, most times it is better to just buy the attuned version unless you already have spare catalysts around.  Even if you already have the recipe, it is usually less to craft it, sell it for the normal going price and then buy the attuned version from someone else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HelenCarnate said:

You are correct.  It does not matter what level the initial IO was before it was attuned.  However, the AH will convert any crafted IO for sale into whatever level you want, including attuned.  So if I put up a LotG recharge IO up for sale that is a lvl 29.  You could buy it as a lvl 50 or could even buy it as attuned for the exact same price.  Because of this, most times it is better to just buy the attuned version unless you already have spare catalysts around.  Even if you already have the recipe, it is usually less to craft it, sell it for the normal going price and then buy the attuned version from someone else. 

Agreed. The difference is just the auction house tax (10%) instead of the 3 million per Catalyst.

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

9 hours ago, Vanden said:

One thing to note is the enhancement values of attuned enhancements don't scale down if you exemplar. They stay at the effectiveness they're at for your true level. However, if you exemplar low enough the enhancement values will get scaled down by the exemplar system, which is a separate system that affects ALL enhancements, and is separate from the attuning mechanic.

Interesting.  I hadn't realized that.

I have a question:

Some attuned IOs say that they are only effective until level X, but when I check their stats or percentages, they're the same as IOs without that limit. E.G. the End Mod for Efficacy Adaptor, which has no limit, has an increase of 42.4% at level 50, while the Energy Manipulator (which only scales to level 20) also gives 42.4%. So why does it have the level ceiling at all?

1 hour ago, Six Six said:

I have a question:

Some attuned IOs say that they are only effective until level X, but when I check their stats or percentages, they're the same as IOs without that limit. E.G. the End Mod for Efficacy Adaptor, which has no limit, has an increase of 42.4% at level 50, while the Energy Manipulator (which only scales to level 20) also gives 42.4%. So why does it have the level ceiling at all?

That is a display error, not sure of the cause.  Could be something to do with attuned and the text not knowing the proper number to show and just scaling to 50 in error.  I went on test and threw in a lvl 20 Energy Manipulator in a lvl 50 character with nothing else slotted and went from 2.29 to 2.41 per second.  I attuned it and the text on the enhancement description did say 42.4% increase but the text on the power itself showed correctly at 25.6% and there was no change to my recovery.  I put in a Performance Shifter at 50 and got the 42.4% and recovery went to 2.49.

• Like 1