The mastermind population at level 50, first four months

ParaBruce

One of the developers did a fascinating thread of data and graphs looking at how often each and every combo of primary and secondary power set for each archetype has been played so far. That thread has links to breakdowns for each archetype at level 2-31, 31-49, and 50, at readers' request. 

I took the level 50 masterminds info and threw it into a simple spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xiOSCAaI0jiEhqd4B_SIWPtCWkHvhYYZLQ_h4ILmjFk/edit?usp=sharing

A total of 103 combos have made it to 50 at least once. Random observations ensue.

The following combos have never yet made it to 50 even once:

Beast Mastery/Traps

Necromancy/Trick Arrow

Ninjas/Time Manipulation

Thugs/Cold Domination

So there are your opportunities to make your mark on Mastermind Homecoming history!

First secondary to be paired with every primary: Empathy, from Robotics/Empathy (#25) to Necromancy/Empathy (#68).

Second secondary to do it: Force Fields, from Robotics/Force Fields (#1) to Ninja/Force Fields (#85).

First primary to be paired with every secondary: Robotics, from Robotics/Force Fields (#1) to Robotics/Poison (#84). Yes, /Poison is less popular than /Trick Arrow (#78) for Robotics.

Second primary to do it: Mercenaries. No, seriously. From Mercenaries/Traps (#18), no, really, to Mercenaries/Trick Arrow (#101).

Robotics/Trick Arrow (#78) is the most popular Trick Arrow pairing, followed by Ninja/Trick Arrow (#80).

9 hours ago, SmalltalkJava said:

Lol. No Ninja/Time 50s???    @Redlynneyou have some splainin’ to do!   I figured that there would be at least one!!!     Come on people.  That build rocks.  I use it ported to beast/time and it is rock solid!

My Ninja/Time Mastermind is currently only Level 10 (or was it 11?).

For explanation ... I've been spending way too much time Playing The Forums™ instead of playing the game ...

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

I get why time is not paired with ninjas... Time's best trick, -recharge, does not apply to pets, and ninjas are not very popular because of their fragility. Not to mention time is a very, very....attention-absorbing secondary, you want pets that can kinda take care of themselves.

beast/traps doesn't make ANY sense at all, though... it's a natural combination, as being close in for traps and beasts being melee seems like a great combo. Perhaps it's the theme that is so difficult? I could see a 'manhunter', or maybe a 'huntsman' theme in combination with this. but I guess the tree-hugger theme most beastmasters choose doesn't mesh well with potentially animal-killing traps.

Necromancy/Trick arrow just has no working theme.... dead things and...archery? Not a bad combo, but... even I cannot come up with a reasonable theme considering how 'techy' trick arrow looks.

But Thugs/cold makes no sense. Great theme, great powerset combo. Mister Freeze. Yet another reason you should be able to create your own models for your mastermind 'gang'. Being able to pick your own models would breathe a ton of new life into ninjas/thugs/zombies/mercs.

Maybe they are worried about the PC police crapping a border wall if some teenager makes a crew of slave girls or something.

Welp, I am off to start a 'Manhunter' character.... a techy-type ex-Recon that gets hired to enter enemy territory with his toys and Team of genetically-enhanced super-predators to sow discord and weaken the enemy before an assault.

Or maybe 'Captain Cold'. a Cheap hood that stole a Freeze Ray from S.T.A.R. labs and embarked on a life of crime with his army of fellow thugs.

Possibly "The Streak Breaker", The Leader of an ancient sect of Assassins who telekinetically manipulate timeflow in order to sneak in and out and commit 'the perfect crime'

Or maybe umm.... Cadmus and his army of undead warriors, created when some fool accidentally dropped a museum exhibit containing real Dragon's teeth onto a patch of open ground. Okay, it's a bit weak.

Edited by Frostweaver
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kelly Rocket said:

No Beasts/Traps doesn't surprise me. It's a thematic issue. Your wild animal pets are not going to be thrilled about a master who's a trapper!

Good point, though I'd argue it's pretty mechanical, too.  Traps tends to cause enemies to go into PANICRUNRUNRUNPANICPANICRUN!!!! mode, and that can be painful enough when all the pets don't have to chase everything down into melee range.