I am sure this is unpopular, but I miss the city life

I think folks forget that some of the "moar hardcore" doesn't just spring from the desire to make the game harder - it also springs from a concern over the social aspects that spring from an easier game.

You also have to consider that attracting new players and retaining existing players is still a thing, money is still needed to keep the lights on even if it's donated voluntarily rather than extracted monthly. 

• Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

57 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I think folks forget that some of the "moar hardcore" doesn't just spring from the desire to make the game harder - it also springs from a concern over the social aspects that spring from an easier game.

You also have to consider that attracting new players and retaining existing players is still a thing, money is still needed to keep the lights on even if it's donated voluntarily rather than extracted monthly. 

I very much agree with this point, from experience as a perpetually new player. The ‘path of least resistance’ route in CoH doesn’t have a whole lot of traditional ‘game’ going on and doesn’t make for very good first-time content. Sometimes I see new players being advised to run like eight DfBs to get started, which just sounds like a lifeless grind to me. I think we can’t let ourselves get jaded and unenthused by the game world either. The game still has to serve as a functional, immersive RPG.

I played sporadically on live and ended up leaving altogether because the attitude of players seemed to treat parts of the game that I’d never done before as inconvenient chores to get over with. I didn’t know the game well enough to know if there were other ways of doing it and couldn’t figure out how to find like-minded players. It didn’t even occur to me that the game might have gotten too easy in the time I was away, but that’s more or less what happened.

It just looked like the game wasn’t for me and it’s only this time around, having known how it got, that I’m making the decision to play my own way come what may. Granted, it was also at a time the markets were in full-on inflation, so the game was just impregnable for someone who missed a few issues.

Edited by Lines
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

I haven't really said my piece on the actual topic but I generally agree with this.  But not particularly because of the perceptions of the game being easy.

The point about players having life obligations and responsibilities, to be blunt...I don't care.  I'm sure we all have obligations in our lives but if the game were launched with more menial tasks, do you think those making that point would actually leave?  Or would they just not be filling out their 3rd incarnate character on their 8th lvl 50 character?  A level of challenge and difficulty has a tendency to "push" people together.

That being said, I'd probably approach accomplish such a thing in a different way.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:20 AM, Gravitus said:

The concern was that with every function “on demand” it essentially boils down to “what’s the point in having all of these lifeless building structures devoid of actual people?” With everyone having all of these on demand features it sort of takes away from the atmosphere of an active community in a visual sense. 

This is the point here, not grind, not hardcore or moar. Just life in the city.

so, if enough people feel this way, a redesign of atlas park may do the trick...

add vendors etc around atlas square, and have people congregate there. hey while you''re at it, add a worktable or two somewhere too.

concentrate the functions around something people go to anyway (levelling) and you get the same result.

other than that, the population is lower that befre sunset, that's a factor too....

Part of the problem is part of the beauty of this game . . . the city itself.  There are so many zones on the blue side, and then add on the red side, and the gold side, and you've just dispersed the population into just shy of sixty different zones.  And then it seems like most players are either in Atlas Park or Peregrine Island, but that's just the Alpha and Omega -- the beginning and the end.

God knows I'm not suggesting it, because I've grown attached to all the zones and their little quirks and bits of personality, but if we had less zones the city would seem more alive.

3 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Part of the problem is part of the beauty of this game . . . the city itself.  There are so many zones on the blue side, and then add on the red side, and the gold side, and you've just dispersed the population into just shy of sixty different zones.  And then it seems like most players are either in Atlas Park or Peregrine Island, but that's just the Alpha and Omega -- the beginning and the end.

God knows I'm not suggesting it, because I've grown attached to all the zones and their little quirks and bits of personality, but if we had less zones the city would seem more alive.

Im torn on this, I keep going back and forth in my mind, but Praetoria is so beautiful I find myself wishing that primal was the same way...

Then nostalgia comes rushing back and would feel bad to lose primal the way it started.

I'm not sure where I ultimately stand on this but maybe a slight touch up to remove the war walls and condense and organize the layout of the streets and structures in primal better to match praetoria without losing the original feel for primal.

On 10/17/2019 at 5:39 PM, arkieboy72472 said:

I will keep it simple. As much as I love all of the quality of life changes, I hate the result of them. Here are some ideas I was batting around in my head that would be a pretty big and unpopular reversal for the game.

1. Get rid of the ability to purchase the portable field craft table. You have to earn it.

2. Nix the slash command for the auction house. You have to go there.

3. Find a way to make hazard and empty zones a little more popular in the future (think the hollows, perez park, fault line, boomtown, crey's folley, echo: whatever and the hive)

In other words, this stuff is nice and all and I appreciate it, but I miss how some things used to be.

And two I have considered but would probably die for

4. The only way to get the ouroborus power is to earn it but make the way to go about doing it obvious.

5. Respecs have to happen at respec person/people

Along these lines, I like having 2XP options, but it and DFB have killed the sewers and kings row.

It is hard for the great quality of life things to coexist with the old way of doing things. I guess I am just too old school.

1.  No

2.  No

3.  Definitely in favor of this idea

4.  No

5.  No

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 10:37 PM, Megajoule said:

<snip>

I mean, what you're basically asking for here is for characters to have to go to the bathroom - visit a specific place to conduct an unpleasant but necessary task now and then, studiously ignore anyone else present, and leave as soon as they're done.  That's not gameplay or community; that's a chore.

Oh, my, that is hysterically awesome.  Thank you for being the thing that made this day enjoyable!