Going forward, can we have more things that mean something?

18 minutes ago, Itikar said:

So, I can sum up my position in being in favor of adding more unlockable content of the same kind which is already present, but in being against making any kind of content which is currently unlocked for everybody unlockable, in any form or quantity.

Then why have we been arguing? That's literally what my first post was and why I made a separate thread.

Nothing currently in game would change, just some of the new things going forward would be unlockables.

Just now, Hero_of_Light said:

Then why have we been arguing? That's literally what my first post was and why I made a separate thread.

Nothing currently in game would change, just some of the new things going forward would be unlockables.

And what did I write precisely in my very first post here? It's you who have been arguing about unlocking sword skins or costume pieces for the last six pages.

I actually believe my message you quoted was not completely clear. When I mean "any kind of content currently unlocked" I mean any kind of costume part, powerset or archetype, which is the kind of content which is currently unlocked. Everything else, stuff that is not automatically unlocked as a general rule, badges, accolades, full costume changes, powers, enhancements, etc. I have never expressed having issues with them being locked behind some content. That's how the server currently works after all.

14 minutes ago, HelBlaiz said:

The costume change powers earned through ToTing could be neat unlockables.

I agree with this!

Obviously something would have to fill ToT's shoes.

Here's another hypothetical, just for interest:
Let's say I'm a 3D artist (which I am), and I design a costume set (ok, I'm more architectural... but lets say) and the set is pretty sweet, it's got like sequins and shit. But I say I'd like this costume set to be unlocked from a certain arc if I'm going to contribute it.
Since I'm coming from the 'earn creativity' camp, it would make sense that I ask for this right? I'd probably take my stuff elsewhere or stop making things if I'm told it'll be given free or nothing.

Would you prefer to not have any access to my models, or to have it as an unlockable?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

No, it just shows that variety and options are good and maybe a little bit of restriction is a good thing.

Just because some people hate leveling, should we have instant level 50s, or just have multiple ways to level with some being faster than others?

Why are you amworried to have to play parts of the game to unlock a few costume peices? Do you not enjoy playing the game?

2 minutes ago, Itikar said:

And what did I write precisely in my very first post here? It's you who have been arguing about unlocking sword skins or costume pieces for the last six pages.

I actually believe my message you quoted was not completely clear. When I mean "any kind of content currently unlocked" I mean any kind of costume part, powerset or archetype, which is the kind of content which is currently unlocked. Everything else, stuff that is not automatically unlocked as a general rule, badges, accolades, full costume changes, powers, enhancements, etc. I have never expressed having issues with them being locked behind some content. That's how the server currently works after all.

But future costumes obviously aren't in the game yet, so if a new story arc was added and the reward for completing it was a sword,  nothing was taken away from you so you should have no issues.

3 minutes ago, Lines said:

I agree with this!

Obviously something would have to fill ToT's shoes.

Here's another hypothetical, just for interest:
Let's say I'm a 3D artist (which I am), and I design a costume set (ok, I'm more architectural... but lets say) and the set is pretty sweet, it's got like sequins and shit. But I say I'd like this costume set to be unlocked from a certain arc if I'm going to contribute it.
Since I'm coming from the 'earn creativity' camp, it would make sense that I ask for this right? I'd probably take my stuff elsewhere or stop making things if I'm told it'll be given free or nothing.

Would you prefer to not have any access to my models, or to have it as an unlockable?

I'd say it's the modders right to say. I'd be glad to have new content no matter the form, and would personally do my best to enjoy the contributions. 

5 minutes ago, Hero_of_Light said:

But future costumes obviously aren't in the game yet, so if a new story arc was added and the reward for completing it was a sword,  nothing was taken away from you so you should have no issues.

The status quo would be altered. And, again, it would take away from me the possibility to see people express their creativity at its fullest, without the need to grind. I actually like that the game, at least on Homecoming, has two aspects that live together seamlessly and pretty well. On one hand you have a very flexible costume creator that lets you create an impressive amount of costumes, without requiring anything to unlock them. On the other you have a game with a lot of unlockable rewards which, for once, do not impair the first aspect in any way. What's better than that, seriously? You can have cake and eat it.

So, again, by changing this status quo you would take away from me a unique experience which I have not found elsewhere. So, no. Feel free to go make your own server with unlockable swords, given the difference of positions in this thread, it really seems the smartest solution. But I sure would not put my electronic foot in there as long as I have a place like Homecoming. And I am glad it stays as it is.

Edited by Itikar
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Itikar said:

The status quo would be altered. And, again, it would take away from me the possibility to see people express their creativity at its fullest, without the need to grind. I actually like that the game, at least on Homecoming, has two aspects that live together seamlessly and pretty well. On one hand you have a very flexible costume creator that lets you create an impressive amount of costumes, without requiring anything to unlock them. On the other you have a game with a lot of unlockable rewards which, for once, do not impair the first aspect in any way. What's better than that, seriously? You can have cake and eat it.

So, again, by changing this status quo you would take away from me a unique experience which I have not found elsewhere. So, no. Feel free to go make your own server with unlockable swords, given the difference of positions in this thread, it really seems the smartest solution. But I sure would not put my electronic foot in there as long as I have a place like Homecoming. And I am glad it stays as it is.

So if I don't like it, then i can leave? 

Talk about inclusion.

Titles.

Sorry.  I'm back.  I'm back and haven't read the massive explosion of posts in this thread which occurred while I away, and I'm about to leave again anyway, so I can't do anything really solid for contribution (and it feels a bit odd to me to reply to pointed comments from about 100 posts ago . . . but I will if that's what the conversation wants from me).

But something dawned on me as a potential alternative to offer.

Titles.

Cut straight to the point.  Instead of making exclusionary content in the forms of anything creative, like costume pieces or missions or Archetypes or Temp Powers, let's offer those players who want to show off their accomplishments with titles.
Now, I hear you:  "We already have titles.  You know, the ones attached to Badges?"  But we ALSO have the Gold Titles.  The temporary ones awarded by GMs, CRs, and Devs.
They're awarded for things like costume contests or PvP tournaments . . . 

What if we get ourselves a new Community Representative who's job it is to come up with weekly Leaderboard Challenges.

The winners of the Leaderboard Challenge get a Gold Title.

Best part:  Those players who find the whole concept distasteful . . . let's add a new GUI feature:  Hide Gold Titles.

How does this proposal sound for all parties involved?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Itikar said:

When the game first came out,  they didn't have pvp or city of villains.

Should those have not been added because doing so would mean powers and balance would change and therefore status quo would change. 

They didn't have lvl41-50 and those power pools either, should they not have done that?

2 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

"We already have titles. You know the ones attached to badges?" 😄

No, seriously, it sounds good, but I am not the one bothered by not having drive or unlockable content, so I don't know how much it is for me to call. Personally also I hide all player tags unless I hover over them with my cursor, and I am really bothered by not being able to do the same for pets. I do enjoy to check the badges screen of characters I come across and would probably enjoy seeing which titles people get or set to themselves, though.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Titles.

Sorry.  I'm back.  I'm back and haven't read the massive explosion of posts in this thread which occurred while I away, and I'm about to leave again anyway, so I can't do anything really solid for contribution (and it feels a bit odd to me to reply to pointed comments from about 100 posts ago . . . but I will if that's what the conversation wants from me).

Titles.

That'd be sweet!

Some badges (master ofs or significant accolades) could become gold titles too, or completing all arcs with a certain villain group. Stuff that really matters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hero_of_Light said:

When the game first came out,  they didn't have pvp or city of villains.

Should those have not been added because doing so would mean powers and balance would change and therefore status quo would change. 

They didn't have lvl41-50 and those power pools either, should they not have done that?

And this makes three strawmen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Titles.

Titles.

Cut straight to the point.  Instead of making exclusionary content in the forms of anything creative, like costume pieces or missions or Archetypes or Temp Powers, let's offer those players who want to show off their accomplishments with titles.
Now, I hear you:  "We already have titles.  You know, the ones attached to Badges?"  But we ALSO have the Gold Titles.  The temporary ones awarded by GMs, CRs, and Devs.
They're awarded for things like costume contests or PvP tournaments . . . 

What if we get ourselves a new Community Representative who's job it is to come up with weekly Leaderboard Challenges.

The winners of the Leaderboard Challenge get a Gold Title.

Best part:  Those players who find the whole concept distasteful . . . let's add a new GUI feature:  Hide Gold Titles.

If there was absolutely no chance to have other things as mentioned, I could be okay with this. 

But i would want them to be something everyone could work towards, not something you could only get during one particular  time frame and where you had to be the best of the best(although they could have a separate title too)

4 minutes ago, Lines said:

Disclaimer, my scenario was hypothetical. I'm not married to the idea that if I make stuff it must be an unlockable.

I'm just wondering where folks would stand with that.

I wonder if some would rather have no new content,  then have new content with unlockables. 

2 minutes ago, Hero_of_Light said:

I wonder if some would rather have no new content,  then have new content with unlockables. 

Can we please stop it with these strawmen and/or false dichotomies.  That isn't a real representation of any circumstance that we've been presented with...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I find the question a little too abstract to be really interesting.

But no, I have played plenty of games where you unlock costume parts via grind.

If I want that, and a whole new game that can be fun too, instead of just a costume, I can find it elsewhere already. If there are really modders who are so restrictive about distributing the content they have created, and it would not be the first time I hear about something like this, I would rather let them keep their content.

• Thanks 1