Going forward, can we have more things that mean something?

Okay,  here's a thought I want some people perspective on.

Let's say theres a talented modder that can make a variety of in game costumes,  and would do so for free, but would ONLY allow the homecoming team to put them in the game if they were put in as unlockables such as behind story arcs, badges, or other "grinds".

A: They should this be allowed and the costumes put in with those restriction so they could be enjoyed by all that gets them.

B: They shouldbe rejected because they have restrictions put on them and now no one can enjoy them.

What's your reasoning?

Edited by Hero_of_Light
Trying to fix spelling and such, I'm difficulty right now
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, HelBlaiz said:

That requires costumers to be grinders. In order for me to play MY way, I suddenly need to play YOUR way.

Yes, but only for a very few things and I'm sorry if you view completing a story arc as grinding.

Dont people put theams requirements on costume contents? Isn't that a limit put on costumers? Maybe someone dosent want to try and make a robot dinosaur just to join a robot dinosaur costume contest, dose that mean it shouldn't be allowed because it's not how that person wants to costume?

"Talented modders" have made a lot of cool things on the other COH resurected servers.  The Homecoming team haven't use any of that work, even when it was offered to them, and they're not going to.  They wouldn't take the work of this hypothetical modder, especially if it came with conditions.

Please don't spam new suggestion threads because the other thread didn't back your opinion.  That's not how discussions are supposed to work.

Edited by Omega-202
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

(I think) I said this in the other thread.....maybe a drop down menu in character creation for HC style (everything open) or old school style (you unlock things).  Put capes and costumes and hats and whatever else only opens after the challenge is met.  Maybe have three to five tiers of options on that drop down menu.  

If this is about how each person enjoys play, then each person can enjoy their play their way.  If this is about ego, I have a hat only 1% have, this will not help. 

I understand some people like to earn things so give it to them!  Some people like it open as it is now, give it to them. Options are good.  Happy hunting!

Edited by EmmySky
Typos
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, MetaVileTerror said:

"Pride" and "something to show for it."

There's a LOT that could be unpacked from there.
This server could be shut down tomorrow.  We already saw the old server got shut down with scarcely any warning.  What is there to "show" when that happens?  Who do you show it to?  What sense of pride can you feel in something that can be arbitrarily switched on or off?  Do you feel that your peers will respect you if you unlock these things?  

Have you asked these questions of yourself?

. . . look . . . I'll level with you, but I have to get going, so I'll give you the short version:

You're exhibiting signs of being exactly the kind of person who I used to victimize when I used to work in the game's industry.

Yeah.  I'm one of those.  I'm one of the bad guys.

I was one of those disgusting assholes who intentionally exploited people just like you to make a despicable corporation more money than it could ever use.

And I hate myself for having been there and done that.  

So, yeah.  I am biased here.  I have a personal history that I'm bringing to the table.  I was (allegorically) the school yard drug pusher getting kids hooked on smack who had a turn of heart.

The questions I am tossing to you are meant to do one thing:  Get you to critically analyse your own reasons for your proposal.  To REALLY get down and answer "Why" to yourself.  Why does it matter to you.  What possible good do you think it will actually do in your life?

'cause from where I am sitting, with the experiences I've had and the hands I've played . . . I can tell you this:  The path you're on is exactly the one which monsters lurk upon, ready to feed.

I never spent more than a monthly fee in games and never bought loot boxes, so I was never victimized like that.

However, if your one of the guys that built an awesome mission where I saved a village  and after 40 minutes of game play I earned an awesome sword only found in that mission, then your not a bad guy, your amazing.

I'm not wanting money to be paying for things, just a little bit of time and some skill as a player

Edited by Hero_of_Light

30 minutes ago, Omega-202 said:

"Talented modders" have made a lot of cool things on the other COH resurected servers.  The Homecoming team haven't use any of that work, even when it was offered to them, and they're not going to.  They wouldn't take the work of this hypothetical modder, especially if it came with conditions.

Please don't spam new suggestion threads because the other thread didn't back your opinion.  That's not how discussions are supposed to work.

Just because you don't like a discussion I'm trying to have doesn't make it wrong, especially when it's a different question.

Then way is there a developer section ASKING for these things going forward,  when they feel safe enough to use it?

This is a very fitting g and important question because it's a possible situation that can come up since the developers are eventually moving that direction. 

it's funny how you didn't pick a answer in this possible scenario, and instead labeled me a spammer. Good one

Edited by Hero_of_Light

5 minutes ago, Hero_of_Light said:

I never spent more than a monthly fee in games and never bought loot boxes, so I was never victimized like that.

However, if your one of the guys that built an awesome mission where I saved a village  and after 40 minutes of game play I earned an awesome sword only found in that mission, then your not a bad guy, your amazing.

I'm not wanting money to be paying for things, just a little bit of time and some skill as a player

You missed the point completely.  It's not always about microtransactions and monitization.  So much of game design is just about player engagement, which in turn gets you to keep your monthly fee going, gets you to buy expansions and keeps player count up so that other players have someone to show off their purchases to.  

You should take a step back amd reread what others have wrote and consider that you might have a problem.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hero_of_Light said:

Yes, but only for a very few things and I'm sorry if you view completing a story arc as grinding.

Dont people put theams requirements on costume contents? Isn't that a limit put on costumers? Maybe someone dosent want to try and make a robot dinosaur just to join a robot dinosaur costume contest, dose that mean it shouldn't be allowed because it's not how that person wants to costume?

To be fair you could probably enter such a contest as a ninja cowboy, and maybe walk away with an honorable mention through sheer audacity.

Regardless, I don't see why the reward has to be something people who hate grinding would miss having.

Edited by HelBlaiz
typo

I disagree with the notion that nothing 'feels earned' in this game.  Even farming an alt to 50 takes ~5 hours, and then there's whatever time and effort you put into planning that alt, executing the build, and however much time actually using the alt in-game. 

In the time it took me to do that for just one alt, I could have completed ALL the content of MANY other games.  Put it this way, I finished Half-Life faster than it took me to plot/test/farm/fund/shop/build my Fire/FF, and I've thrown HOURS into it since going through THAT process.

Now someone's going to tell me on top of that, I should have to go grind out every stupid temporary power and costume piece - for each alt - because THEY don't feel like they are accomplishing much in-game?

You want an appreciation for how much you CAN 'earn' in game, go roll a 50 on test.  It takes about 6 minutes for all the badge notifications to tick by, then you look and see you have like 30-odd accolades and 5 trays worth of powers before you even select your Level 2 power.  

Point being, it's ridiculous how much optional stuff there is to do in this game that ISN'T just handed to you on character creation; maybe the people who mistakenly think everyone's time is equally worthless should grind THOSE out.

Edited by roleki

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

Just now, Omega-202 said:

You missed the point completely.  It's not always about microtransactions and monitization.  So much of game design is just about player engagement, which in turn gets you to keep your monthly fee going, gets you to buy expansions and keeps player count up so that other players have someone to show off their purchases to.  

And here's my point that you're missing completely. 

It's not always about microtransactions and monitization.  So much of game design should be about player engagement, which in turn gets you to keeps you playing monthly, gets you to want expansions and keeps player count up so that other players have someone to show off their skills/costumes/ achievements too, and encouraging them to also enjoy the game they love.

This is what im asking for, and part of this involves earning an small ammout of everything there is to offer.

Let's assume we take costume unlocks off the table for now. (Though I'm an advocate of unlockable, villain group specific, account-wide hats, like the arachnos ones you can get. I'd never wear them, I just want to collect hats.)

What else could there be?

Definitely more story content - there are a few examples of this already.
Unique IO Sets, like the Overwhelming Force from SBB.
Temporary Powers - This happens a lot already, and actually gets kind of annoying. Unless you're Coin.

QoL features, like travel or crafting aids.

Anything else? That feels kinda luck luster to me so far.

9 minutes ago, HelBlaiz said:

To be fair you could probably enter such a contest as a ninja cowboy, and maybe walk away with an honorable mention through sheer audacity.

Regardless, I don't see why the reward has to be something people who hate grinding would miss.

But you're couldn't win that contests, and you wouldn't get the rewards the winners got.

Why do you think they offer rewards on costume contests anyways? Get bring in more people. 

Not everyone does something just because doing it is enough for them. 

6 minutes ago, roleki said:

Now someone's going to tell me on top of that, I should have to go grind out every stupid temporary power and costume piece - for each alt - because THEY don't feel like they are accomplishing much in-game?

No,  someone Is telling you that along with that you have a choice. 

If you choose to, you can use some of the many things you don't need to grind for,  or use the few things you do need to grind for because some people enjoy feeling acomplished.

3 minutes ago, Hero_of_Light said:

And here's my point that you're missing completely. 

It's not always about microtransactions and monitization.  So much of game design should be about player engagement, which in turn gets you to keeps you playing monthly, gets you to want expansions and keeps player count up so that other players have someone to show off their skills/costumes/ achievements too, and encouraging them to also enjoy the game they love.

This is what im asking for, and part of this involves earning an small ammout of everything there is to offer.

No, I understand, hence why I said it.  The difference is this isn't a commercial product.  We have the player engagement we are going to have, without needing to resort to grind based, Skinner box addiction mechanisms to inflate it.  The game as is stands on its own.  The reason designers put the carrot on the stick is to keep players addicted so they keep making money.  You on the other hand just live for the carrot and I legitimately think you have a problem. 

You don't seem to have any self reflection ability and you're just responding defensively.  If this discussion is "triggering an episode" as you earlier put it, please step away from the forum and go do something else.  You don't seem well.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lines said:

Let's assume we take costume unlocks off the table for now. (Though I'm an advocate of unlockable, villain group specific, account-wide hats, like the arachnos ones you can get. I'd never wear them, I just want to collect hats.)

What else could there be?

Definitely more story content - there are a few examples of this already.
Unique IO Sets, like the Overwhelming Force from SBB.
Temporary Powers - This happens a lot already, and actually gets kind of annoying. Unless you're Coin.

QoL features, like travel or crafting aids.

Anything else? That feels kinda luck luster to me so far.

Eh, I mentioned it in the very first post, that apart from powersets, archetypes and character editor options, the game does have unlockable content aplenty. Can it be increased? Absolutely.

Badges are the prime example of unlockable content in the game, and they can come with nifty options, such as powers and other stuff. Think for example of the gladiator badges that unlock special gladiators in the arena. There is so much other stuff other than hats and that can be done without hampering the creativity of players that enjoy things as they are.

Apparently, however, OP cares for costume options primarily, given their replies.

1 minute ago, Hero_of_Light said:

If you choose to, you can use some of the many things you don't need to grind for,  or use the few things you do need to grind for because some people enjoy feeling acomplished.

If it is solely about the feeling of accomplishment, then a more fitting reward would be more badges, or accolades, maybe a leaderboard. Locking costume pieces behind it makes it a chore for anyone who just wants a costume piece.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HelBlaiz said:

If it is solely about the feeling of accomplishment, then a more fitting reward would be more badges, or accolades, maybe a leaderboard. Locking costume pieces behind it makes it a chore for anyone who just wants a costume piece.

And? So they have to finish a story arc once to get particular costume peice...

Is that to much of a cost? If that's so, why are not just playing in Icon?

2 hours ago, Hero_of_Light said:

Why should I want a burger when I have cereal? I should just be happy with food because it may be gone tomorrow. 

Your McDonald's happy meal burger isn't an illegitimate burger that can get shut down by the rightful owner at any moment, is it?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hero_of_Light said:

Because I dont have to worry about unlocking things on Everlasting and can play whatever content I want rather than the content holding costume pieces hostage.

• Like 2

I have an idea.

What about separate character slots you could choose to use where theres absolutely zero limits on costumes, powersets , or power pools everything can be used without being earned, and you don't even need to have a target to use attacks, but those characters have no combat level and can't attack, or be attacked by anything. 

This way, those that want to costume and all that can as much as they want without worrying about trying to grind something out on that character. 

And those that want to play the game to earn things and enjoy a sense of acomplishment can do that on the regular slots.

1 minute ago, Itikar said:

Eh, I mentioned it in the very first post, that apart from powersets, archetypes and character editor options, the game does have unlockable content aplenty. Can it be increased? Absolutely.

Badges are the prime example of unlockable content in the game, and they can come with nifty options, such as powers and other stuff. Think for example of the gladiator badges that unlock special gladiators in the arena. There is so much other stuff other than hats and that can be done without hampering the creativity of players that enjoy things as they are.

Apparently, however, OP cares for costume options primarily, given their replies.

For me, a lot of the rewards in the game have suffered from being a bit drowned out by homogeneity. There are, what, like 1500-2000 badges rolling about now? You get some of them by literally doing nothing for a few days. I have a badger toon at like 750 badges, but it's worn thin and lost its substance at this point. 

Some of us are making the case of "We need more drive" and the counterpoint is "You already have drive." It's not really anyone other than me who decides that, and it would be unfortunate for me if things keep getting given directly to us. I've not been able to get my teeth into the game for a little while now already, I'd like to have a little incentive to do things. But if others feel differently, then, y'know, there are plenty of games out there for me.

For me this is coming from enjoying more traditional RPG progression, and the feeling that doing something leads to being rewarded something relevant and substantial. Souvenirs are a closer parallel than badges to what I mean, but the game gives them zero weight. You have to explore a few menus to even find them and they're clunky and unassuming in themselves. I don't care that I can't share them, that's not the point, just to know there was a reward for content.

What about base items that are villain group members behind bars, even AVs for completing certain arcs or a string of arcs? Or relics, like the signature hero items you can get? I'm thinking of things that kinda level of relevant uniqueness and substance while avoiding costume elements.

• Like 1