Shadowrun

Who here is in to the ol' Cyberpunk-with-fantasy-elements?  

The Gibson-meets-Tolkien?  

The Hoi-Chummer-Never-Cut-A-Deal-With-A-Dragon?

Who here is a fan of Shadowrun?

So, tangentially related to City of Heroes, just to keep it kosher . . . I have this vague memory that the Devs of City of Heroes cited Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020 as inspiration for a lot of the content in this game, especially with Going Rogue.  The Talsorian blades, for example, are named after the company which publishes the Cyberpunk rulebooks.

Also also, I run a Shadowrun campaign on Monday nights over Teamspeak and Maptool, enabled through Hamachi VPN.  We have an opening in the campaign right now, and would be interested in taking interviews for a potential match for a new player.  The campaign is heavily narratively-driven, and we avoid combat (since violence has consequences).  It's somewhere between pink mohawk and black trenchcoat, and I personally call it "pink trenchcoat" since I like to focus on the sociopolitical evolution of the 6th World a lot in my missions.

• Like 1

FASA fan here, from Battletech through Crimson Skies.  Never played Shadowrun with any but a snippet of the PC games, but loved the idea of the setting and read a few of the books.

Paragon City is only a few bad decisions away from becoming like it, honestly.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Why aren't you just forming a themed super group where everyone's character has to be tied to a Shadowrun concept? You can even make the fantasy "races" in the character creator. There are elf ears!

• Rigger - bots mastermind, maybe someone with traps
  • Street Samurai - various scrapper, blaster, stalker, and sentinel combinations that use claws, katanas, axes and guns of varying sizes. Heck Mercy in the Dragonfall videogame is pretty much a dual pistols/traps defender who took the medicine pool. Street samurai with a penchant for stealth? Stalker. Giant troll with an axe? Tanker. 
  • Shaman & Mage - various controllers, dominators, defenders, blasters, especially powersets with pets. Coyote shaman? Beast mastermind. Fireball chucking mage? Fire blaster. 

Decker would be harder to emulate but you could just RP the concept. Since they often provided tactical support by hacking building security systems, someone with a heavy investment in leadership - possibly a VEAT - could be your party decker. An illusion controller or a kheldian might also be a way to RP the whole "ghost figure moving through the matrix" kind of angle as well. 

City is very flexible. If you create your shadowrun character concept first and then just think about how to represent it in game, I think most of them will come pretty easily.

• Like 1

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

22 minutes ago, Charistoph said:

FASA fan here, from Battletech through Crimson Skies.  Never played Shadowrun with any but a snippet of the PC games, but loved the idea of the setting and read a few of the books.

Paragon City is only a few bad decisions away from becoming like it, honestly.

Just remember:

To kill = Frag
Buddy/Friend/Person you're addressing: chummer

NEVER DEAL WITH A DRAGON!

When in doubt, you're slotted...

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Done both BattleTech and SR had a cyberized Gene spliced Aligator human hybrid in one game, An elf sorceress in another and an Elf Spec ops who was working for A Dragon as a trouble shooter in another

Ive been playing Hare brained Schemes BattleTech game via Steam which is a great love letter to the tabletop game.

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

13 minutes ago, Sakai said:

Why do we not have a Shadowrun movie yet?

We got one, but it wasn't licensed just derivative, and it was terrible. "Bright" on Netflix.

• Thanks 1

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

27 minutes ago, Erydanus said:

We got one, but it wasn't licensed just derivative, and it was terrible. "Bright" on Netflix.

Sad, but true, though it wasn't bad, it just wasn't that great, either.

Honestly, it would be easier to get a Cyberpunk movie launched at the moment since you don't have to worry as much about overwhelming people with magic and cyberization at the same time.

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

1 hour ago, Charistoph said:

Sad, but true, though it wasn't bad, it just wasn't that great, either.

Honestly, it would be easier to get a Cyberpunk movie launched at the moment since you don't have to worry as much about overwhelming people with magic and cyberization at the same time.

If you gotta go.  Go balls-to-the-wall.

50 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

If you gotta go.  Go balls-to-the-wall.

How many movies have failed because the production studio did not have enough faith in it to get a good director or put money in to the effects studio, or just made bad decisions.  It could work, but odds are that it would backfire and become a cult classic at best.

12 minutes ago, Charistoph said:

How many movies have failed because the production studio did not have enough faith in it to get a good director or put money in to the effects studio, or just made bad decisions.  It could work, but odds are that it would backfire and become a cult classic at best.

This is why my advice is universal.

It doesn't always bar you from the "bad idea" camp.

But even in BAD movies, hard work shows.

I love the Shadowrun setting. Played all three of the Harebrained games (I miss the times before HBG cucked themselves). Never played in person though, actual face to face tabletop and RP isn't my thing.

I didn't mind "Bright" either, it wasn't a cinematic masterpiece, but it wasn't a complete dumpster fire either. 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Coyote said:

So... you're saying... if you DO have to make a deal, make it with a dragon?!?!
😆

Sure, just make sure you have a few things the dragon can't ignore and would rather take out than you.  Of course, a good Ghost Dance helps, too.

2 hours ago, quixoteprog said:

Ah, Shadowrun I was in a long running game for several years back in the day. That was long ago, when the internet was wild and free. Before half of us started playing Asheron's Call and the other half started being annoyed by all the discussion about Asheron's Call.

AC was my first MMO.  Such a great game.  

11 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

AC was my first MMO.  Such a great game.  

It was pretty cool.  A lot harder than modern MMOs. No in game instance maps. No icon indicating what direction you were supposed to go to get to your destination for a quest. You want some idea how hard a mob will be to fight BEFORE it kills you the first 11 times? What are you some kind of pansy?!?

These kids today! They don't know just how good they've got it!

And they complain about how hard Private Vanilla WoW servers, and that was a casual game compared to Everquest and Asheron's Call.

Myself, I cut my my MMORPG teeth on Earth & Beyond and Dark Age of Camelot.  RPGs go back to Baldur's Gate and Quest for Glory series.  Those interest caused me to cock an eyebrow at the Shadowrun books and learn more about them.

Just didn't have a lot of friends growing up to take advantage of them.

11 hours ago, Coyote said:

So... you're saying... if you DO have to make a deal, make it with a dragon?!?!
😆

Just make sure that YOU are the dragon you're making a deal with.

No.  I won't eat this street samurai.  (BUT HE'LL BE SO CRUNCHY!)
Too many artificial preservatives...Now that Elf Mage...  MMM-MMM!  TASTY AND FRESH!
Ah screw it!  *OMNOMNOMNOM!*

Edited by Hyperstrike