New Archetype: Protector (support/melee)

Wavicle

1 hour ago, boggo2300 said:

wasn't intended to be, it was an argument against what I quoted

What Zepp Said.

In addition their are Superhero's who fit into this slot. Captain America, and Tho r(Debatable), come to mind, Iron Fist, Nightcrawler (depending on whos writing him), Not a lot in DC But I am pretty sure Dove of Hawk and Dove fits in this role, Black Canary (Arguable she is at least some kind of Sonic/MA, as she is pretty famous for being a ridiculously good Martial Artist) and I am pretty sure their are others that sit just outside of my knowledge and/or recollection as well.

And even if that where not the case the crossover between those that want to provide group support and those who want to punch the bad guys in the face seems to be large enough to create a demand for such an AT. That being said the Volunteer Devs who run Homecoming are quite busy and I feel like if people in the community would be more willing to work on the project and produce something for the test server it would work out much better.

2 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Isn't a cleric / druid / etc also a melee support class?

Most of these games have very few ranged classes.  

There usually are not attempts to make Ranged Cleric classes.  

So we have the inverse of that.  Why do we need melee support ATs again? 

Actually no most of these classes are turned into ranged classes in everything ourside of D&D, where Clerics can be built melee, and Support Druids are Ranged Spell Casters with a melee form. Wow is the one that comes closest, but to get the DnD Cleric experience you need to play a Paladin Healer not a Priest, and the way Druids are done in wow you have to choose between melee or support.

Melee Support Classes are incredibly hard to come by, but their is always a high demand for them among those who like to support their group. It's a playstyle a lot of people love, but never get to enjoy. OCCASIONALLY you might see a Tank with a heal. Again though, I must remind you, even if this where not the case, it's still not a good argument against implementing such an AT. Just beceause other games have done something does not mean that it should not be done here.

The simple answer to your final question is we don't, we don't need a Melee Support AT, just like we don't NEED TWO Tanks, TWO Melee DPS's, TWO CC Classes, TWO Devoted Support Classes, or any of the Elite Archetypes. Not counting Elite AT's which would be unfair as you don't really get to customize them, Frankly It wold be the Least redundant AT to be added sense the Dominator, which generally did add Something new to the table. But some people want one and provided it can be implemented properly their is no good argument to be had against enting the AT. Unless you want a "PURE" CoH experience, and if that's why you have an issue with the idea, boy do I have bad news for you.

We are not talking about plopping a fantasy Paladin down into CoH, (Though in true CoH fashion such a character should be buildable) it would be an AT just like all the others, It would just hit people in close range while providing Group Buffs/Enemy Debuffs/Healing/ect. depending on the powerset. The only Danger is that it would be either Overtuned on release (unlikely as most people would be pushing for heavy nerfs for fear that it would outshine their darlings.) Or that giving a Support toon Mez Resist would completely nullify the use of all other Support AT's. For which I have only one reply Stalker, and Blaster have both been popular AT's sense launch with little to no issue, even though they both ostensibly fill the same niche, Heavy DPS AT.

Nor is anyone advocating for the AT to just go into the game without thorough testing, or at least I hope not.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pbuckley818 said:

Nor is anyone advocating for the AT to just go into the game without thorough testing, or at least I hope not.

Definitely not.

Archetypes are a kludge added to make functional the original design of a classless system where you can choose from any power set. Emert tried it again with  Champions and it still didn’t work. However, it turns out that archetypes are actually kind of fun, so I just want like one or two more archetypes to fulfill the original promise of a system where you could pretty much pair anything with anything. What’s missing is buff with melee, and maybe a pet summoner without buff (Maybe. A future post.).  All the other bases seem to be covered.

Edited by sacredlunatic
  • Like 1

thanks guys for coming to my defense i really appreciate it. Also i played wow for a week at launch dropped it and never looked back so my wow info is limited to panda commercials lol.

I just don't understand what people have against more options....i mean you aren't being forced to use said options so why argue against more choices?

Edited by Saiyajinzoningen
  • Like 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

9 hours ago, sacredlunatic said:

Definitely not.

Archetypes are a kludge added to make functional the original design of a classless system where you can choose from any power set. Emert tried it again with  Champions and it still didn’t work. However, it turns out that archetypes are actually kind of fun, so I just want like one or two more archetypes to fulfill the original promise of a system where you could pretty much pair anything with anything. What’s missing is buff with melee, and maybe a pet summoner without buff (Maybe. A future post.).  All the other bases seem to be covered.

Well their does seem to be some demand for an Assault Primary, personally I don't get the appeal, but I suppose I understand the demand. I just don't want it taking the melee/buff spot.

But Yeah Melee+Buff/DeBuff is a glaring omission to the roster.

I made a whole thread about this a few months back but the short version is:

Please don't put Paladins at the center of your melee/support suggestions.

And the 3 core reasons: Paladin is a build, not an AT; Empathy is too weird to be available to any melee as-is; and this isn't a medieval fantasy, so the build comes after the working AT.

A lot of us have thematic characters waiting to be (re)made with something like this, and I can tell you I often go to build a Corruptor or Defender and lose interest on the pew-pew page. I think I'd make a fire/thermal on day 1.

Edited by Replacement

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, sacredlunatic said:

Now how about something like this:  What if their Placate gave a 10 second buff to Heals, Defense Buffs, Damage Resistance Buffs, ToHit Debuffs, Defense DeBuffs, etc.?

Now this is something you can start to build an AT concept around. If you start to play with Placate having some sort of boost to buff/heals/debuffs then you can make this AT a class that thrives on picking up and dropping aggro. This also puts the class EXACTLY where you would want a character with Support/Melee abilities, rewarding them for being there. There is a lot of ways to play with non-stealth centered Placate in the proposed context and I would like to see a discussion around that possibility.

Of course, at this point the name for the Archetype would be more like Jester or Prankster than Guardian... but that's fine since there are already so many Guardian suggestions. I am personally VERY much in favor of New Archetypes and feel we need a set of five including the Sentinel to represent the "Goldside" Archetypes, even though, technically, there is no Archetype segregation anymore. It just feels right. Also note, this drifts away from the typical Paladin suggestions in a really Superhero themed way.

I think the real key is building synergy with this playstyle and the inherent. If the Bar builds up every time you drop aggro, then the AT also gets a benefit working on a team because their teammates can also provoke enemies off of them. Remember, fun to play isn't just about the individual experience... it's about how it meshes when working with others too. I see a lot of promise in this concept!

Oh... I know! Call it the Juggler, since you Juggle Aggro!

Edited by FDR's Think Tank
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

Now this is something you can start to build an AT concept around. If you start to play with Placate having some sort of boost to buff/heals/debuffs then you can make this AT a class that thrives on picking up and dropping aggro. This also puts the class EXACTLY where you would want a character with Support/Melee abilities, rewarding them for being there. There is a lot of ways to play with non-stealth centered Placate in the proposed context and I would like to see a discussion around that possibility.

Of course, at this point the name for the Archetype would be more like Jester or Prankster than Guardian... but that's fine since there are already so many Guardian suggestions. I am personally VERY much in favor of New Archetypes and feel we need a set of five including the Sentinel to represent the "Goldside" Archetypes, even though, technically, there is no Archetype segregation anymore. It just feels right. Also note, this drifts away from the typical Paladin suggestions in a really Superhero themed way.

I think the real key is building synergy with this playstyle and the inherent. If the Bar builds up every time you drop aggro, then the AT also gets a benefit working on a team because their teammates can also provoke enemies off of them. Remember, fun to play isn't just about the individual experience... it's about how it meshes when working with others too. I see a lot of promise in this concept!

Oh... I know! Call it the Juggler, since you Juggle Aggro!

Well, I don't know about Juggler.  Personally, I still like Guardian, but the name is not that important.

Speaking of names.  At this point, the Placate power would need a different name.  Now it is basically Power Boost and the Placate is just a bonus.  You don't have to get the aggro to use it.  You use it on whoever you think you Might get aggro from, and then you buff or heal immediately.  That's pretty effective I think, and would allow the AT to compete more effectively with defenders while not needing their damage to be punishingly low in order to be balanced, since the effect would not be permaable and damage, -res, and -regen don't benefit from Power Boost anyway.

I think we should obviously call it Power Placate.

EDIT: Added as an EDIT to the original post.

Edited by sacredlunatic

9 hours ago, Pbuckley818 said:

Well their does seem to be some demand for an Assault Primary, personally I don't get the appeal, but I suppose I understand the demand. I just don't want it taking the melee/buff spot.

But Yeah Melee+Buff/DeBuff is a glaring omission to the roster.

Is it a glaring omission though?   Im trying to think of melee support type examples in comics and not thinking of any.  

I realize defender types are rarer than Blaster/Tank/Scrappers but most Super types that can manipulate force fields and energies in a defensive sense also can attack at range. 

Not that that is a reason you can't have the AT, it just argues that its not a "glaring omission".

20 hours ago, sacredlunatic said:

Definitely not.

If it's a kludge, it's a fun as hell kludge.  It provides much needed structure for balance while also facilitating advanced concepts and mechanics (because powersets are a sub-structure of ATs, it's why we have Street Justice and Water Blast and Nature Affinity AND the unique mechanics each of those powersets utilizes).

As for why melee/support, it's because people like to support teammates but want more variety.  You could say "just give support ATs melee sets" but a new AT tends to come with a different inherent that alters the way they play.  It's not just variety of powerset combos but also variety in tactics and variety in playstyle.

3 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Is it a glaring omission though?   Im trying to think of melee support type examples in comics and not thinking of any.  

I realize defender types are rarer than Blaster/Tank/Scrappers but most Super types that can manipulate force fields and energies in a defensive sense also can attack at range. 

Not that that is a reason you can't have the AT, it just argues that its not a "glaring omission".

I gave quite a few examples already. Captain America is as famous for the way he wields his tactical brilliance and sheer unassailable charisma to bolster his allies and intimidate his enemies, as he is for beating them up with his shield. Thor controls the battlefield with storms, while wading into battle with his mighty hammer, Nightcrawler bamfs around the battlefield aiding allies and hindering foes, as much as he plays at being Errol Flynn. these all three really iconic characters and all of them fit this archetype. 

On top of that melee support is a highly popular but rarily delivered upon playstyle in MMORPG's and it's omission is often felt keenly by those who love it. The fact that CoH added 12 archetypes into the game a good 4/5th's of which pretty much doing the same thing, before we got VEAT's is absurd.  And even then they can be built into about half a dozen other things. Yeah that's pretty glaring. It's just so common place for people who prefer this playstyle to get shafted that people rarely notice. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Pbuckley818 said:

I gave quite a few examples already. Captain America is as famous for the way he wields his tactical brilliance and sheer unassailable charisma to bolster his allies and intimidate his enemies, as he is for beating them up with his shield. Thor controls the battlefield with storms, while wading into battle with his mighty hammer, Nightcrawler bamfs around the battlefield aiding allies and hindering foes, as much as he plays at being Errol Flynn. these all three really iconic characters and all of them fit this archetype. 

On top of that melee support is a highly popular but rarily delivered upon playstyle in MMORPG's and it's omission is often felt keenly by those who love it. The fact that CoH added 12 archetypes into the game a good 4/5th's of which pretty much doing the same thing, before we got VEAT's is absurd.  And even then they can be built into about half a dozen other things. Yeah that's pretty glaring. It's just so common place for people who prefer this playstyle to get shafted that people rarely notice. 

None of those examples work. Captain America and Nightcrawler are much closer to Scrappers.

Thor is like Superman, fits no category due to boring invincibleness.  But would be more a Tanker defense with Scrapper Offense.

A defender would be more like The Invisible Woman.  

A melee Analog?  Marvel's Destiny maybe?  Diviner from Justice Machine?  (Very similar characters in practice, but neither really fights well)  and neither very popular.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

None of those examples work. Captain America and Nightcrawler are much closer to Scrappers.

Thor is like Superman, fits no category due to boring invincibleness.  But would be more a Tanker defense with Scrapper Offense.

A defender would be more like The Invisible Woman.  

A melee Analog?  Marvel's Destiny maybe?  Diviner from Justice Machine?  (Very similar characters in practice, but neither really fights well)  and neither very popular.  

I highly disagree tons of characters in comics have some level of innate invulnerability, even Spiderman. So the Thor argument is mute. He's a melee guy so he has a level of invulnerability, his Hammer and his ability to control storms are his signature abilities. Besides do you really want to make the argument that that Loki would be a tanker? Because if your going to stand by that argument that's what you going to have to contend with.

Captain America, merely a scrapper? Your ignoring half his character, half his whole shtick is all about how he uses his wits and charisma to support his allies and give them the strength to carry on.

Nightcrawler you might argue is a Stalker, but only if you ignore 75% of the things he does on the battlefield. Which is mostly repositioning allies (and sometimes foes), distracting enemies, and relaying information and objects. Sure he's a great fighter, but that's hardly his whole thing, heck half the time he engages directly it's either a surprise attack, or a ploy of some sort.

Black Canary is also Primarily a Martial Artist and while capable of doing ALOT of damage with her voice it's more often a device for distractions, incapacitation, ect. But I'll admit that ones a bit of a stretch. 

40 minutes ago, Pbuckley818 said:

I highly disagree tons of characters in comics have some level of innate invulnerability, even Spiderman. So the Thor argument is mute. He's a melee guy so he has a level of invulnerability, his Hammer and his ability to control storms are his signature abilities. Besides do you really want to make the argument that that Loki would be a tanker? Because if your going to stand by that argument that's what you going to have to contend with.

Captain America, merely a scrapper? Your ignoring half his character, half his whole shtick is all about how he uses his wits and charisma to support his allies and give them the strength to carry on.

Nightcrawler you might argue is a Stalker, but only if you ignore 75% of the things he does on the battlefield. Which is mostly repositioning allies (and sometimes foes), distracting enemies, and relaying information and objects. Sure he's a great fighter, but that's hardly his whole thing, heck half the time he engages directly it's either a surprise attack, or a ploy of some sort.

Black Canary is also Primarily a Martial Artist and while capable of doing ALOT of damage with her voice it's more often a device for distractions, incapacitation, ect. But I'll admit that ones a bit of a stretch. 

I didn't say invulnerable, I said Invincible.  As in no one can beat him.  Except when going for the Worf Effect.  Thor doesn't work as an example at all.  Decades of Flanderization have made him a Mary Sue.  His environmental powers no more makes him a support character than it makes him a blaster.

Captain America's team tactics and leadership is basically what the Leadership pool is about.  Cap is actually a decent character.  His leadership is maybe more useful than anything in COH but that's because Marvel tends to be way over the top (as does DC outside of the Gotham environs) 

Nightcrawler is more a Swashbuckling Scrapper that gives plot armor to his teammates at the speed of the plot.  

Black Canary is not a support character.  She is a scrapper with a depends on the writer voice power.  When in the Gotham type environs she almost never uses it.  

But you could argue DC is two different styles.  The even more over the top than marvel back to the silver age living gods style and the badass normal Gotham environ style .. with some overlapping that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. 

Edited by Haijinx

42 minutes ago, Pbuckley818 said:

all your examples fit pool powers more than anything else,  Cap = Leadership, Nightcrawler = Teleport, Black Canary the martial arts  = Fighting sinc you can really only do her actual Superpower as a ranged sonic...

Edited by boggo2300

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

8 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

all your examples fit pool powers more than anything else,  Cap = Leadership, Nightcrawler = Teleport, Black Canary the martial arts  = Fighting

Yet these are much more potent and central to the respective characters than the power pool power ever could be to a CoH character. They exist in order to simulate things that the dev's knew would not be available for charecters to make with the AT system at launch. They are by their very nature gap fillers, so of course the charecters that you cannot make with the AT system would more closely resemble the power pools.

While I cannot pretend to know the mind's of the dev's I think that may be why Leadership was not a Buff/Dubuff power to begin with. Beceause while it is a support power it is often employed by characters more akin to Scrappers, Blaster, or Tankers In the comics.

Edited by Pbuckley818

5 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

all your examples fit pool powers more than anything else,  Cap = Leadership, Nightcrawler = Teleport, Black Canary the martial arts  = Fighting sinc you can really only do her actual Superpower as a ranged sonic...

Well you could do black canary as a Sonic/Martial blaster i guess.  But that really isnt right.

She is more of a

Street Justice+Martial Arts / Plot Armor Scrapper.   

With a powered only during plot times voice power.

A decent character though IMO.  

Yet these are much more potent and central to the respective characters than the power pool power ever could be to a CoH character. They exist in order to simulate things that the dev's knew would not be available for charecters to make with the AT system at launch. They are by their very nature gap fillers, so of course the charecters that you cannot make with the AT system would more closely resemble the power pools.

no thats a complete misunderstanding of Pool powers and their place in the game

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

3 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Well you could do black canary as a Sonic/Martial blaster i guess.  But that really isnt right.

She is more of a

you'd sort of need a sonic attack pool to do her justice in that case

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

Just now, boggo2300 said:

you'd sort of need a sonic attack pool to do her justice in that case

Could just do temp powers based on the mission, lol. 

Any justice League stuff of  course needs the power. Because it allows the writer to explain how she fights metas easier than explaining how the Bat crew does .  

Birds of Prey stuff .. she screams maybe once a story arc.  If that. 

2 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Could just do temp powers based on the mission, lol. 

Any justice League stuff of  course needs the power. Because it allows the writer to explain how she fights metas easier than explaining how the Bat crew does .  

Birds of Prey stuff .. she screams maybe once a story arc.  If that. 

haven't really read anything of her except JL so can't really say anything either way, which may also be why I think of her more as a sonic than ma

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

11 minutes ago, boggo2300 said:

no thats a complete misunderstanding of Pool powers and their place in the game

They exist for players to customize their character beyond the scope afforded to them by the AT system. Filling in the gaps left by the strengencies of the system by affording players the ability to access powers that the Dev's felt should not be too AT dependent, while making sure not to allow anyone to step on anyone else's toes, or make a super AT, by limiting the potency of powers that allow the player to access the abilties of another role. I.E. Gap fillers.

13 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

She is more of a

Most characters powers only get employed when convenient to the plot though. The Super Strength characters are often infamous for this. It's really silly to act like because someone's powers are plot dependent they are not a core part of the character. Imagine if I made the claim that beceause supermans super strength is very plot dependent he should actually be a Energy blast/Invulnerability Sentinel.

Edited by Pbuckley818

They exist5 for players to customize their character beyond the scope afforded to them by the AT system. Filling in the gaps left by the strengencies of the system by affording players the ability to access powers that realistically should not be too AT dependant, while making sure not to allow anyone to step on anyone else's toes, or make a super AT, by limiting the potency of powers that allow the player to access the abilties of another role. I.E. Gap fillers.

They actually predate the AT system, read the old old dev journals about the introduction of AT's

Mayhem

It's my Oeuvre baby!

CAUTION:  The following post is kind of stream-of-consciousness rambling.  Proceed with care.

I like that Placate-buffs-you idea.  So, what if this Archetype had both a specialized Confront and a specialized Placate.  The Confront would give them a Damage boost for a while (15 seconds), while the Placate would grant them . . . hmm, this is where it's tricky.  A boost to Heals and Buffs/Debuffs is somewhat difficult to program, since it could be a real cluster to balance around.  Let's take a look at some numbers real quick . . .

But first, need some better names, so we can add some clarity here.
Archetype name suggestion:  Partisan

Confront-Buff Power name suggestion:  Dare

Placate-Buff Power name suggestion:  Mollify

So, let's say Level 50.  This Archetype would be doing somewhere between Defender (100%) and Corruptor (~80%) levels of Buffing and Healing.  Let's saaaaay . . . something like ~85% of a Defender under normal circumstances, but can /just/ edge out Defender values (110%) for a short duration (7 seconds, enough for 2 or 3 Powers to get used) after using their Mollify (which would have a Cooldown of about 2.5 minutes, and be Enhanceable, so likely to be balanced around 1.3 minutes, and at max cooldown is still 30 seconds).

Empathy

Defender's Heal Other = 262.37

Corruptor's = 230.89
Partisan (normally) = 245.32
Partisan (after Mollify) = 288.61

Defender's Fortitude = 18.75 To Hit, 31.25 Damage, 15 Defense

Corruptor's = 15 To Hit, 25 Damage, 11.15 Defense
Partisan (normally) = 15.95 To Hit, 26.55 Damage, 12.75 Defense
Partisan (after Mollify) = 20.625 To Hit, 34.375 Damage, 16.5 Defense

Hmm, Heal Other doesn't look too affected by this.  Meanwhile, that Defense buff off of Mollify for Fortitude.  A 30% increase?  That's more than an SO would grant.  That's problematic.  

Right, so, we would need to have it that the Mollify Buff affects different stats accordingly.  Heal could be buffed to that 110% of Defender value without it being too much of an impact, but the Defense Buffing would clearly need to only go up to . . . let's see . . . 102.5%?  How's that look?

About a 20% increase?  That's more reasonable.  Same deal for the To-Hit.  Probably also Resistance Buff.  

But then that brings us to Resistance Debuff . . . I seem to recall learning that the game has trouble seeing Resistance Debuff as different from Resistance itself, or something like that.
And then the other issue is that things like Tough and Weave would also end up getting buffed by Mollify . . . 

UNLESS each of the Primary Buff, Heal, and Debuff Powers available to a Partisan are pre-coded to have a conditional flag of "apply this much extra Heal/Buff/Debuff if Mollify Buff equals True" . . . but then that's a LOT of extra work with manually programming each Power, and then again manually working on each of them if any balance passes need to take place.  Not ideal . . . 

And then and then, the pseudo-pets from Support Sets (like Tar Patch) would need code to recognize the Mollify Buff, and we'd have to ask:  If a Mollify Buff'd Fortitude grants the improved values for its complete duration, should a pseudo-pet patch like Tar Patch also benefit for its entire duration, or should it only receive the Mollify Buff for a duration equal to the remaining time (like how Build Up before Caltrops doesn't allow Caltrops to continue to deal double damage the whole time).

. . . right, well.  Apologies if this comes out as really confusing for anyone.  I do hope, though, that my ideas are helpful for those who wish to further flesh out this concept.  Even if they're merely helpful as non-examples to learn from.

• Thanks 1