Duplication - A Mastermind Primary

So! now that Phantom Army has had an interesting update in the test client, allowing you to create 'mirrors' of yourself, I figured that new development has opened the doors to new possibilities! this combined with the 'shadow image' as seen in many animations for Dual Pistols and the Incarnate Vorpal attack means we could potentially make attack powers to support it, creating one of these shadow images with a basic attack animation.

I had this idea for a powerset for a while, but was unsure if it could even be done with the technological restrictions we have, but now it seems a little more possible! So, here's what I had for a Mastermind Primary called 'Duplication'

Duplication

You possess the ability to create duplicates of yourself. Duplicates exist as a near exact mirror copy of yourself, and as such possess very few abilities all of their own, but have the potential to overwhelm your foes with an array of surprise attacks. Their ability to think and act as a sort of 'hive mind' comes with a number of benefits that set them apart from your average henchmen, allowing them a greater means of defense when close to one another, and possessing an inherent resistance to mind-altering affects.

image.png.d20136a274347f8382b86e16cb367c3a.png - Flanking Strike: Ranged, Moderate Damage (Smashing), Foe -Def

You create a temporary copy nearby a foe that strikes them with their fist before disappearing into nothing. The unexpected strike reduces their defense.

image.png.bda29e102f9b14bc2e877564ce75e72d.png - Create Simulacrums: Summons up to three Simulacrums

Summon up to three Simalacrums. Simalacrums are basic duplicates that possess little power of their own, able to use similar means of attack as the Mastermind. You can only have three Simalacrums under your control at any given time, if you attempt to create more Simalacrums, you can only replace the ones you have lost in battle. If you already have three, the power will fail.

Tier 1 Powers: Brawl, Flanking Strike, Unity (+Def nearby other Pets, +Res Psionics, Taunt, Placate, Confuse, Perception Debuff)

Tier 2 Powers: Boxing, Ambushing Blow

Tier 3 Powers: Kick, Surprise Attack

image.png.f41540b6e33cf7831b608a2c272140d3.png - Ambushing Blow: Ranged, High Damage (Smashing), Foe -Def

You create a temporary copy nearby a foe that delivers a heavy and unexpected blow, reducing their defense.

image.png.f2a96ab59ff564dcb5666e11322044c6.png - Improve Duplicates: Ranged, Improve Duplicates

You hone the image of your duplicates and imbue them with additional power. This bestows new powers and abilities upon your duplicates. The powers gained are unique and dependent on the duplicate you improve. This power only works on your duplicates, and you can only improve a duplicate once with this power.

image.png.4d8d60720a336c7b95b1547ff98f48e4.png - Surprise Attack: Cone, Moderate Damage (Smashing), Foe -Def

You create several temporary copies by your side that charge the enemy, the sudden appearance of these copies throws off your foes defense.

image.png.2eff8d21ee604011e6f2770fb9cd48cd.png - Create Clones: Summons up to two Clones

Summon up to two Clones. Clones are near exact copies of the Mastermind, and possess an aptitude for duplicity, often catching foes unaware and confusing their location. When upgraded, these Clones can even conceal themselves and deliver critical hits from stealth, and make use one of your initial secondary powers. You can only have two Duplicates under your control at any given time, if you attempt to create more Duplicates, you can only replace the ones you have lost in battle. If you already have two, the power will fail.

Tier 1 Powers: Initial Strike, Flanking Strike, Unity (+Def nearby other Pets, +Res Psionics, Taunt, Placate, Confuse, Perception Debuff)

Tier 2 Powers: Heavy Blow, Ambushing Blow, Placate

Tier 3 Powers: Surprise Attack, Hide, Power 1 from Secondary Powerset (higher Recharge/End cost)

image.png.4d3cd3a6dd8dd033e46163d7f251a94d.png - Outnumber: Summons up to 10 Mimicries

You create a number of Mimicries. These Mimicries cannot be commanded like normal henchmen, nor will they appear in your pet window. you must select an enemy target to attack before activating Outnumber. The Mimicries are plentiful, but they are also weak, and are incapable of further copying themselves. Because of this, Mimicries can only use their fists to overwhelm your foe.

Powers: Brawl, Boxing, Kick or Initial Strike

image.png.e44d1ff0997dbdba1bed651f8e1713a3.png - Create Perfect Copy: Summon one Perfect Copy

Summons one powerful Perfect Copy. The Perfect Copy is completely identical to you, and can mimic many of your secondary powers. In addition, it aids in coordinating your other duplicates as if it were a mastermind itself, giving a boost to your inherent 'Supremacy' power. You can only have one Perfect Copy under your control at any given time, if you attempt to create more Perfect copies, you can only replace one you have lost in battle. If you already have one, the power will fail.

Tier 1 Powers: Flanking Strike, Power 1 from Secondary Powerset (higher Recharge/End cost), Unity (+Def nearby other Pets, +Res Psionics, Taunt, Placate, Confuse, Perception Debuff)

Tier 2 Powers: Ambushing Blow, Power 2/3 from Secondary Powerset (higher Recharge/End cost)

Tier 3 Powers: Surprise Attack, Power 3/4/5 from Secondary Powerset (higher Recharge/End cost)

image.png.687ccffcb7f98318027b4d7d34135c97.png - Uncanny Image: Ranged, Improve Duplicates

You futher improve the image of your duplicates and imbue them with greater power. This bestows new powers and abilities upon your duplicates. The powers gained are unique and dependent on the duplicate you improve. This power only works on your duplicates, and you can only improve a duplicate once with this power.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 11

This is cool. Always liked the idea of making copies of yourself. I forget which task force has an enemy who makes clones of himself, but the concept is already there. I also like the attacks being instant copies. I'd play this set.

1 minute ago, Lusid said:

This is cool. Always liked the idea of making copies of yourself. I forget which task force has an enemy who makes clones of himself, but the concept is already there. I also like the attacks being instant copies. I'd play this set.

A lot of the technology for duplicates is already present in the Dean McArthur story arc, as well as several tip misisons (often Nemesis roboclones). 

More info the specifics of player clones HERE!

I love this!  I'd be very excited to play it.

My only concern is that having all your pets, even the most low-level, able to create "pets" of their own will make for a wildly cluttered battlefield, plus server strain - if you have three simulacrums two duplicates and a perfect copy each doing sudden mob, plus 10 minor copies, that's, what, more than 50 total copies of you at once?  The way you have it set up, the lower level pets get duplicating powers but the highest level pet is focused on your secondaries; it might be better to do it the other way around, so that low-level pets get secondaries and only your perfect copy and maybe a tier 3 duplicate can use duplicating powers.  That reflects the way this powerset appears in fiction better, as well.

Other than that concern, as I said, this sounds awesome!

6 minutes ago, MycroftRH said:

I love this!  I'd be very excited to play it.

My only concern is that having all your pets, even the most low-level, able to create "pets" of their own will make for a wildly cluttered battlefield, plus server strain - if you have three simulacrums two duplicates and a perfect copy each doing sudden mob, plus 10 minor copies, that's, what, more than 50 total copies of you at once?  The way you have it set up, the lower level pets get duplicating powers but the highest level pet is focused on your secondaries; it might be better to do it the other way around, so that low-level pets get secondaries and only your perfect copy and maybe a tier 3 duplicate can use duplicating powers.  That reflects the way this powerset appears in fiction better, as well.

Other than that concern, as I said, this sounds awesome!

Ah, none of the duplicates actually create copies of themelves, they just use the same attack powers as you (Flanking Strike, Ambushing Blow, Sudden Mob), which technically 'create' a short lived copy to deal damage. Its all an animation however, they don't summon anything, its just for flavor! 😜

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 1

Very cool. For clarity, does the "Improve Duplicates" only work on Duplicates as stated, or did you mean it works on all Doppleganger levels? If the word Duplicates refers to ALL the pets this Mastermind Summons, it might be prudent to change "Summon Duplicate" to something else.  It would be different from other Mastermind sets if only one level of pet could actually receive upgrades... but there would need to be something to balance out the consequence of that.

Also, it's not a bad idea to vary terms when appropriate and unify terminology when prudent. So... lets list out a list of non-copyrighted Xerox terms that can be swapped in, possibly!

You used

Simulacrum

Duplicate

Perfect Copy

Minor Copies

We can also use

Clone

Doppleganger

Twin (Or Triplet/Etc)

Replica

Photocopy

Mimic

Dummy

Pod People

Mannequin

Puppet

Body Double

Facsimile

Effigy

And for description, you have lots of words too. Here are just a few.

Mirror

Forgery

Ditto

Parallel

For each of the "Duplicate Ambush" attacks, I recommend settling on a single term to describe the duplicates in this so it's clear when they are and when they aren't being boosted by specific powers. You could call "Flanking Strike" something like "Mirror Flank" or call "Ambushing Blow" something like "Parallel Ambush". There is definitely room to spice it up and really drive home the sense of many copies attacking.

Obviously, some of these terms might be too specific or not generic enough for the set to use, but that's all in what you want to communicate. I also doubt my list is comprehensive, so if you think of a Clone term that really fits and has flair, then please use it! For example: "Sudden Mob" makes sense in the context if you know they are copy-clones... but if you just say that phrase, it could also refer to the "Thug" masterminds Mob summon. This is really more of a wave of Being John Malkovich clones than an unruly mob about to commit vandalism... there is a certain single-mindedness clones have that should be communicated!

Another thing to consider with Duplicates- One of the key benefits would be hiding which entity is actually the prime/player character. While in PvP it would be distracting to figure it out at first, later, players would simply change U.I. settings so they can tell at a glance or by hovering over the character. As such, it might be prudent to include some sort of clone-swap ability somewhere in the set. Perhaps the higher upgrade for Simulacrums could swap places with the Player, if possible, on an alpha strike. I don't know what the cost or cool down for this would have to be to balance this... or if it's even worth getting into, but I thought I would mention it as an idea to help give this set character.

Other than that... I am very excited by the concept! You thought a lot of the angles out from tier one to nine!

P.S. It occurs to me that the Clone Ambush attacks are ranged from your characters perspective, but would ACTUALLY be melee. I don't know how that factors in for defense, considering some defenses are Melee/ranged specific. It might be good to talk about the intent.

Edited by FDR's Think Tank
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

Very cool. For clarity, does the "Improve Duplicates" only work on Duplicates as stated, or did you mean it works on all Doppleganger levels? If the word Duplicates refers to ALL the pets this Mastermind Summons, it might be prudent to change "Summon Duplicate" to something else. 

It does indeed affect duplicates of all kinds! However, this is the same terminology used in Thugs and Demon Summoning, which is also pretty confusing... so another word for it would help differentiate it.

Perhaps 'Create Duplicates' should be 'Create Copies'?

2 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

Ah, none of the duplicates actually create copies of themelves, they just use the same attack powers as you which technically 'create' a short lived copy to deal damage. Its all an animation however, they don't summon anything, its more a flavor thing.

Yeah, I understood that - it's the animation that's concerning me.  If I'm in a chaotic battle, I certainly don't want 50 animations of a single teammate covering the entire battlefield, making it impossible to visually target.  I'd choose not to team with Duplicate MMs if I'd had experiences with that happening before - or if they got a reputation for it.  It might work from the MM's POV (they're used to it, etc.) but it would definitely make other people not want to hang around them, which is already an issue that MM's have as it is given our rep for un-controlled aggro.

3 minutes ago, MycroftRH said:

Yeah, I understood that - it's the animation that's concerning me.  If I'm in a chaotic battle, I certainly don't want 50 animations of a single teammate covering the entire battlefield, making it impossible to visually target.  I'd choose not to team with Duplicate MMs if I'd had experiences with that happening before - or if they got a reputation for it.  It might work from the MM's POV (they're used to it, etc.) but it would definitely make other people not want to hang around them, which is already an issue that MM's have as it is given our rep for un-controlled aggro.

I did think about this. The FX of the animation isn't actually going to be an exact copy of the Mastermind, it will instead be one of those 'shadows' that you see in many of the Dual Pistols powers, or like you see when using the Vorpal Incarnate Ability, just a very vague silhouette of your gender which can be color tinted via the power customisation menu.

As for the pets themselves, they will look Identical to the mastermind, but with a faint flickering aura of one of these 'shadows' appearing near them now and again.

Edited by Tyrannical

Which word refers to all the "Duplicator" summons, what word describes the vanishing strikers best, and what word describes each level of clone best? Simulacrum does sound like the best entry level term for clones, but Duplicate you have used all over While "Perfect Copy" and "Minor Copies" aren't unique, especially next to each other.

Once you figure out how you organize the words, I think this set will be clear and striking.

If the "Vanishing Strikers" are all shadows, I think that would work fine. The Pets are the ones people want to look like your character. The question is, how close do they match your characters details and color scheme? 

In some ways, a duplicator Mastermind would be a good expression of a speedster.

Edited by FDR's Think Tank

5 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

I'd always thought this was a neat idea, but was, like, "yeah, but how would the blasts work", and then you come around with your Vorpal shadows idea, and frick-frack it's perfect.

CANIHAZPLZPLZPLZ?

Honestly? I think the blasts might be the easiest bit to implement.

Flanking Strike calls forth a shadow to do the Initial Strike animation before fading away.

Ambushing Blow calls forth a shadow to do the Heavy Blow animation before fading away.

And then Sudden Mob has about 4 shadows that each do the Shield Charge animation in cone formation before fading away.

47 minutes ago, FDR's Think Tank said:

Which word refers to all the "Duplicator" summons, what word describes the vanishing strikers best, and what word describes each level of clone best? Simulacrum does sound like the best entry level term for clones, but Duplicate you have used all over While "Perfect Copy" and "Minor Copies" aren't unique, especially next to each other.

Once you figure out how you organize the words, I think this set will be clear and striking.

If the "Vanishing Strikers" are all shadows, I think that would work fine. The Pets are the ones people want to look like your character. The question is, how close do they match your characters details and color scheme? 

In some ways, a duplicator Mastermind would be a good expression of a speedster.

yeah, I think a few words here and there need to change, so here's a quick reference guide I was thinking of;

General Pets: Duplicates

Tier 1 Pets: Simulacrums

Tier 2 Pets: Clones

Tier 3 Pet: Perfect Copy

Outnumber Pets: Mimicries

Attack Entities: Shadows

I think the best way to make sure that each pet looks a little different without changing the costume so much would be to give them a unique and subtle effect.

I'm thinking that same effect you get with long-range teleport and similar teleport powers, the light that sheds off in different directions? perhaps it is more noticeable depending on the tier of pet, with Outnumber pets being quite noticeable, and Perfect Copy having no effect whatsoever.

Funnily enough the teleport FX is what I was considering for many of the powerset's animations, as inspired by the 'Dimension Shift' costume change emote.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 1

Adding a chance for upgraded emulations to "switch" places with the player and vice versa would be cool. 

For instance, upon being struck, the perfect copy has a chance to take the debuff or control effect instead of the player, and upon upgrading the lesser clones they too would have a chance to exchange effects. 

It would be called Uncertainty.

3 hours ago, monos1 said:

Adding a chance for upgraded emulations to "switch" places with the player and vice versa would be cool. 

For instance, upon being struck, the perfect copy has a chance to take the debuff or control effect instead of the player, and upon upgrading the lesser clones they too would have a chance to exchange effects. 

It would be called Uncertainty.

Maybe depending on what mode they're set to, they will have different versions of a 'switch' power.

Aggressive: Duplicates will switch when unable to attack

Defensive: Duplicates will switch when low on health

Passive: Duplicates will not switch

• Like 2

Pet size, transparency, & coloration could help distinguish... ie

Similcrums 50% transparent, 50% caster size, monochromatic, has a glowing collar

Clones 25% transparent, 75% caster size, colors 25% less vivid, has a glowing collar

Perfect Copy identicle to caster though with a glowing collar

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

On 1/5/2020 at 4:36 PM, Tyrannical said:

So! now that Phantom Army has had an interesting update in the test client, allowing you to create 'mirrors' of yourself, I figured that new development has opened the doors to new possibilities! this combined with the 'shadow image' as seen in many animations for Dual Pistols and the Incarnate Vorpal attack means we could potentially make attack powers to support it, creating one of these shadow images with a basic attack animation.

I had this idea for a powerset for a while, but was unsure if it could even be done with the technological restrictions we have, but now it seems a little more possible! So, here's what I had for a Mastermind Primary called 'Duplication'

Duplication

You possess the ability to create duplicates of yourself. Duplicates exist as a near exact mirror copy of yourself, and as such possess very few abilities all of their own, but have the potential to overwhelm your foes with an array of surprise attacks. Their ability to think and act as a sort of 'hive mind' comes with a number of benefits that set them apart from your average henchmen, allowing them a greater means of defense when close to one another, and possessing an inherent resistance to mind-altering affects.

image.png.d20136a274347f8382b86e16cb367c3a.png - Flanking Strike: Ranged, Moderate Damage (Smashing), Foe -Def

You create a temporary copy nearby a foe that strikes them with their fist before disappearing into nothing. The unexpected strike reduces their defense.

image.png.bda29e102f9b14bc2e877564ce75e72d.png - Create Simulacrums: Summons up to three Simulacrums

Summon up to three Simalacrums. Simalacrums are basic duplicates that possess little power of their own, able to use similar means of attack as the Mastermind. You can only have three Simalacrums under your control at any given time, if you attempt to create more Simalacrums, you can only replace the ones you have lost in battle. If you already have three, the power will fail.

Tier 1 Powers: Brawl, Flanking Strike, Unity (+Def nearby other Pets, +Res Psionics, Taunt, Placate, Confuse, Perception Debuff)

Tier 2 Powers: Boxing, Ambushing Blow

Tier 3 Powers: Kick, Sudden Mob 

image.png.f41540b6e33cf7831b608a2c272140d3.png - Ambushing Blow: Ranged, High Damage (Smashing), Foe -Def

You create a temporary copy nearby a foe that delivers a heavy and unexpected blow, reducing their defense.

image.png.f2a96ab59ff564dcb5666e11322044c6.png - Improve Duplicates: Ranged, Improve Duplicates

You hone the image of your duplicates and imbue them with additional power. This bestows new powers and abilities upon your duplicates. The powers gained are unique and dependent on the duplicate you improve. This power only works on your duplicates, and you can only improve a duplicate once with this power.

image.png.4d8d60720a336c7b95b1547ff98f48e4.png - Sudden Mob: Cone, Moderate Damage (Smashing), Foe -Def

You create several temporary copies by your side that charge the enemy, the sudden appearance of these copies throws off your foes defense.

image.png.2eff8d21ee604011e6f2770fb9cd48cd.png - Create Clones: Summons up to two Clones

Summon up to two Clones. Clones are near exact copies of the Mastermind, and possess an aptitude for duplicity, often catching foes unaware and confusing their location. When upgraded, these Clones can even conceal themselves and deliver critical hits from stealth, and make use one of your initial secondary powers. You can only have two Duplicates under your control at any given time, if you attempt to create more Duplicates, you can only replace the ones you have lost in battle. If you already have two, the power will fail.

Tier 1 Powers: Initial Strike, Flanking Strike, Unity (+Def nearby other Pets, +Res Psionics, Taunt, Placate, Confuse, Perception Debuff)

Tier 2 Powers: Heavy Blow, Ambushing Blow, Placate

Tier 3 Powers: Sudden Mob, Hide, Power 1 from Secondary Powerset (higher Recharge/End cost)

image.png.4d3cd3a6dd8dd033e46163d7f251a94d.png - Outnumber: Summons up to 10 Mimicries

You create a number of Mimicries. These Mimicries cannot be commanded like normal henchmen, nor will they appear in your pet window. you must select an enemy target to attack before activating Outnumber. The Mimicries are plentiful, but they are also weak, and are incapable of further copying themselves. Because of this, Mimicries can only use their fists to overwhelm your foe.

Powers: Brawl, Boxing, Kick or Initial Strike

image.png.e44d1ff0997dbdba1bed651f8e1713a3.png - Create Perfect Copy: Summon one Perfect Copy

Summons one powerful Perfect Copy. The Perfect Copy is completely identical to you, and can mimic many of your secondary powers. In addition, it aids in coordinating your other duplicates as if it were a mastermind itself, giving a boost to your inherent 'Supremacy' power. You can only have one Perfect Copy under your control at any given time, if you attempt to create more Perfect copies, you can only replace one you have lost in battle. If you already have one, the power will fail.

Tier 1 Powers: Flanking Strike, Power 1 from Secondary Powerset (higher Recharge/End cost), Unity (+Def nearby other Pets, +Res Psionics, Taunt, Placate, Confuse, Perception Debuff)

Tier 2 Powers: Ambushing Blow, Power 2 and 3 from Secondary Powerset (higher Recharge/End cost)

Tier 3 Powers: Sudden Mob, Power 4 from Secondary Powerset (higher Recharge/End cost)

image.png.687ccffcb7f98318027b4d7d34135c97.png - Uncanny Image: Ranged, Improve Duplicates

You futher improve the image of your duplicates and imbue them with greater power. This bestows new powers and abilities upon your duplicates. The powers gained are unique and dependent on the duplicate you improve. This power only works on your duplicates, and you can only improve a duplicate once with this power.

this is probably the best new powerset idea ive seen. hands down BUT

giving all the clones sudden mob would mean at some point the screen would be full of clones which from a comic perspective would be damn awesome but giving the clones the ability to make so many clones at no cost to the caster is kinda unbalanced, thugs gang war has a 600 second cool down which means it cant be up all the time but "sudden mob" could theoretically be up constantly so i propose some light changes

Uncanny Image: Tier 3 power instead of sudden mob death to uncanny image triggers power faulty facsimile. 

faulty facsimile: When killed two clones of lower tier spawn.

simulacrums do not get access to fault facsimile power instead their T3 is Replicant Rupture

Replicant Rupture: When this power is triggered target explodes in a flash of light, the explosion deals no damage but blinds all foes in melee range for X seconds

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

19 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

this is probably the best new powerset idea ive seen. hands down BUT

giving all the clones sudden mob would mean at some point the screen would be full of clones which from a comic perspective would be damn awesome but giving the clones the ability to make so many clones at no cost to the caster is kinda unbalanced, thugs gang war has a 600 second cool down which means it cant be up all the time but "sudden mob" could theoretically be up constantly so i propose some light changes

Uncanny Image: Tier 3 power instead of sudden mob death to uncanny image triggers power faulty facsimile. 

faulty facsimile: When killed two clones of lower tier spawn.

simulacrums do not get access to fault facsimile power instead their T3 is Replicant Rupture

Replicant Rupture: When this power is triggered target explodes in a flash of light, the explosion deals no damage but blinds all foes in melee range for X seconds

Sudden Mob isn't like Gang War, its just a cone attack that makes  'silhouettes' as seen on Dual Pistol animations or the Vorpal incarnate power, just a visual FX, not an entity.

Outnumber is like Gang War, but no Henchmen has access to this ability. (but if you really wanna see a ludicrous amount of them take Burnout and use it twice!)

I may rename this power 'Surprise Attack' to avoid confusion in the future.

Edited by Tyrannical

As a note, thanks to the insight from @Captain Powerhouseover on the Illusion Dominators thread, we now know its at least possible to give pets access to a player's secondary powers. So this concept is looking a lot more viable than I first anticipated 😅

With that being said, I still think it has a long way to go before it is in working condition, I think one of the bigger issues is trying to figure out if the 'blast' powers themselves are viable too. Making new powers from scratch is tough, even just fashioning something from existing FX/Animations. I can't really think of anything else that seems fitting for a 'Duplicator' character though...

• Like 2