Laptops and COH: A Modern Guide

GM Tock

My niece has been saving up for a gaming laptop and wants a 17" screen (for some reason), and she asked me if she can smoothly play COH on an Acer Nitro 5.  I didn't know what to tell her so came here to read this laptop guide.  I'm a bit lost, and while I'm assuming she can since I play on a rickety old HP laptop, I hate to be wrong and have her get her hopes up only to have to return it ( . . . and I don't want to be the dumb aunt who has no idea what all those spec numbers and letters mean--well, I am that dumb aunt, but I'd rather she didn't find out just yet. Heh.).  Any help would be greatly appreciated, including, if you happen to know off-hand, if it will run WoW. (Yeah, I know, but she likes that game, too, for some reason.)

1 hour ago, Tahliah said:

My niece has been saving up for a gaming laptop and wants a 17" screen (for some reason), and she asked me if she can smoothly play COH on an Acer Nitro 5.  I didn't know what to tell her so came here to read this laptop guide.  I'm a bit lost, and while I'm assuming she can since I play on a rickety old HP laptop, I hate to be wrong and have her get her hopes up only to have to return it ( . . . and I don't want to be the dumb aunt who has no idea what all those spec numbers and letters mean--well, I am that dumb aunt, but I'd rather she didn't find out just yet. Heh.).  Any help would be greatly appreciated, including, if you happen to know off-hand, if it will run WoW. (Yeah, I know, but she likes that game, too, for some reason.)

While my eye twitches at any Acer laptop (because they took over the low-end market, so a personal stigma?), I wholly understand the wanting the larger screen for a laptop. Once you go 17+, everything else feels tiny and can be hard to adapt back to. The downside is weight really.

As for the actual specs, everything looks great from a power standpoint (way more than what the game needs TBH). Now that said, IDK the quirks of the game on more modern (than my) hardware, so there may be some driver things to tweak. Other than that, I would definitely get a laptop cooling mat and can easily see that thing burning through battery during a play session if the GFX settings are tuned to what it looks to handle.

That device should be able to handle basically anything you throw at it including video editing, etc.

Edited by WanderingAries
  • Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

4 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

While my eye twitches at any Acer laptop (because they took over the low-end market, so a personal stigma?), I wholly understand the wanting the larger screen for a laptop. Once you go 17+, everything else feels tiny and can be hard to adapt back to. The downside is weight really.

As for the actual specs, everything looks great from a power standpoint (way more than what the game needs TBH). Now that said, IDK the quirks of the game on more modern (than my) hardware, so there may be some driver things to tweak. Other than that, I would definitely get a laptop cooling mat and can easily see that thing burning through battery during a play session if the GFX settings are tuned to what it looks to handle.

Thanks so much!  She's going to be thrilled to know it will run COH.  I'd ask what other non-Acer laptop with a 17" screen you suggest, but I think she mostly just likes the red keyboard backlight, but hey, we were all young once.  I got her a cooling mat a couple years ago, so she should be set there, and she knows to stay plugged in to play games so battery life isn't an issue..

a gaming laptop maybe need more cooling.... i got some 3 vents below this laptop i use mainly use for browser games, but there are other cooling options with up to 6 ventilators.

For CoH only she may not need it, but who knows what she is playing tomorrow and laptops need cooling more then anything else.

Edited by SuggestorK
  • Thanks 1

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

I'm one of the fans of Razer Blade Stealth laptops, because I travel extensively for a living and need a small, but powerful, gaming laptop.  Not just for COH, which they can all handle very well, but for current release AAA titles as well.  I also tend to run an Oculus Quest 2 via Link cable off of my laptops when I'm going to be on assignment for a couple/few weeks straight.

While I've got a top end rig with 3070 in it currently, all of them for the past few years have run COH just fine, even multiple sessions in windowed mode.  

Some folks have had bad luck with Razer products but for me it's hard to beat the small/light form factor mixed with the power.  I've yet to have a single issue with mine, 5 years and running now.  Love them.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later

I have a laptop, only one with built in HD graphics card and NVIDA card.

Been playing happily the past few years, but recently had to lower graphics.

Someone told me a handy command line to use in homecoming to help with graphics but I can't remember it or find it. can someone ingame @dark anarchy the correct command line please.

• 3 months later
On 1/18/2022 at 6:13 PM, Crysis said:

Some folks have had bad luck with Razer products

Razer is awesome, until it isn't, and then you have to wrestle with their returns policy for repairs/replacement.  This includes shipping the item back to HK (at buyer expense).

With stores opening up around the country, there won't be as much of a need to ship broken stuff back to Hong Kong for warranty work, as in-country brick and mortar also requires decent inventory (which can also be used for warranty replacements more quickly).   But, until they reach the inventory Critical Mass to do that, any servicing or warranty replacement will take weeks or even months.  

This is why I've only purchased their peripherals, and NOT their actual systems.  If I do end up buying a Razer computer, it'll probably be one of their tower-case desktops, because while I know my way around the inside of a laptop, my hands are getting old(er) and my fingers are not as nimble as they were back when I effected field repairs on Toshiba Tecras for a living.  

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

4 hours ago, MistressOhm said:

Razer is awesome, until it isn't, and then you have to wrestle with their returns policy for repairs/replacement.  This includes shipping the item back to HK (at buyer expense).

With stores opening up around the country, there won't be as much of a need to ship broken stuff back to Hong Kong for warranty work, as in-country brick and mortar also requires decent inventory (which can also be used for warranty replacements more quickly).   But, until they reach the inventory Critical Mass to do that, any servicing or warranty replacement will take weeks or even months.  

This is why I've only purchased their peripherals, and NOT their actual systems.  If I do end up buying a Razer computer, it'll probably be one of their tower-case desktops, because while I know my way around the inside of a laptop, my hands are getting old(er) and my fingers are not as nimble as they were back when I effected field repairs on Toshiba Tecras for a living.  

I've been interfacing with Razer since they were still showing off their Boomslang prototypes at GenCon.

The basic designs?  I've liked them, even if some weren't my particular cup of tea.  Total show pieces.

But the durability of their products have, according to a giant fat person I am FORCED see in the mirror every morning, ALWAYS BEEN SHIT.

Sometimes it's just slightly shit.
Sometimes it's been TOTAL shit.

But always shit.

And that's the absolute NICEST (but still honest) way I can phrase that.
Sorry if my choice of grammatical punctuation causes anyone irreparable existential wangst.

As a person who USES their computer on a daily basis, having crap break if you fart the wrong way is inexcusable.

• Like 1

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

The only Razer bits I've 'worn out' have been several Naga mice over the years.  Like, the first one was the original green-key (no chroma) version, that's how long I've been using them.  I get about 2 years of daily use out of them before the thumb switches start to get flaky... that's when I usually upgrade.  Currently using a Basilisk V3 because I don't need the Naga thumbswitches anymore.   But again, I haven't used their laptops, so couldn't say how durable (or not) they're built. 

I just know their service return process has been migraine inducing, and would not recommend the brand for anyone who can't afford to just outright replace what's broken.  

That, and their Synapse program is crap on a cracker.  I use it for key mapping only, set everything to Transparent, and run SignalRGB instead.  

AE ARC's (So Far!)

--------------------

15252 Child of the Tsoo - [SFMA] Ninjas, sorcerers, and human trafficking (Origin Story - Stick Figure/Storm Lotus)

50769 Hunt of the Eclipse - [SFMA] Finding something that was lost to Arachnos for nearly 20 years (Origin Story - Daisy Chain)

53149 Spells as a Service - [SFMA] When a young hacker makes a connection between magic and mathematics and encodes it into a computer program, chaos breaks loose!

13 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

I've been interfacing with Razer since they were still showing off their Boomslang prototypes at GenCon.

The basic designs?  I've liked them, even if some weren't my particular cup of tea.  Total show pieces.

But the durability of their products have, according to a giant fat person I am FORCED see in the mirror every morning, ALWAYS BEEN SHIT.

Sometimes it's just slightly shit.
Sometimes it's been TOTAL shit.

But always shit.

And that's the absolute NICEST (but still honest) way I can phrase that.
Sorry if my choice of grammatical punctuation causes anyone irreparable existential wangst.

As a person who USES their computer on a daily basis, having crap break if you fart the wrong way is inexcusable.

Same situation for me. I hesitate to purchase anything by Razer because the few products of theirs I did have all broke down well-short of when they should have compared to my Logitech gaming products.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

• 2 weeks later

So my primary client gave me a laptop for my BD, having heard about my troubles with my beloved but old work machine. The prezzie is an LG Gram 2-in-1 with Intel Iris integrated graphics. Per the OP, it could run CoH... should I bother or not? Thots? It won't burn my lap, I don't have one to speak of and never mastered balancing a laptop on my body, heh.

25 minutes ago, momentarygrace said:

So my primary client gave me a laptop for my BD, having heard about my troubles with my beloved but old work machine. The prezzie is an LG Gram 2-in-1 with Intel Iris integrated graphics. Per the OP, it could run CoH... should I bother or not? Thots? It won't burn my lap, I don't have one to speak of and never mastered balancing a laptop on my body, heh.

I can't speak to your laptop itself, but if you're really unsure about trying to play on a laptop, they can be given a desktop-like setup. That's how I run my primary laptop (which is also the one I use for playing CoH). I have it propped up on a stand and it feeds a second monitor and external peripherals (mouse and mechanical keyboard). Granted, I didn't do this just for gaming, but also for college purposes because I have tendonitis and find trying to use a laptop the "regular" way to be annoying.

Plus, they get hot doing things like gaming, and your lap is a bad spot for that when it happens. My poor laptop is old enough now that keeping it in a perma-desktop setting doesn't really affect its portability because it doesn't last more than an hour on battery mode and overheats so badly it pretty much stays glued to a cooling pad (one that actually "seals" around the bottom of my laptop helping to pull the hot air out and push cold air in iirc).

• Like 1

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

1 hour ago, momentarygrace said:

You should be able to game on it okay.
And testing it to make sure it works properly won't hurt anything.

If you are worried about heat, having it up on a stand will help with heat dissipation.

And cooling pads for laptops are dirt cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/LIENS-Cooling-Portable-Powered-Computer/dp/B08SW4RWWQ71jY2GkOIJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

You should be able to game on it okay.
And testing it to make sure it works properly won't hurt anything.

If you are worried about heat, having it up on a stand will help with heat dissipation.

And cooling pads for laptops are dirt cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/LIENS-Cooling-Portable-Powered-Computer/dp/B08SW4RWWQ71jY2GkOIJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nice! Wow you weren't kidding! 😄 

I tried 2 or 3 of those cheapo cooling pads and still had issues with my laptop overheating, personally. So I splurged on this https://www.amazon.com/Cooling-Flexible-Colorful-Adjustable-Speed-Black/dp/B085DPTFJM

In case anyone else might be in need. 

4 minutes ago, momentarygrace said:

Good to know, thanks!

My apologies, I need to amend my previous post; the cheap cooling pads were crapping out too quickly, iirc. I was also having a harder time keeping them cleaned out, even with the compressed air cans. I can't fully remember, just that I was getting frustrated and starting googling for other options and came across that Afmat and splurged on it. But again, it's one of those things that works for me because my laptop is pretty much stationary at this point. If you plan to take it places, that Afmat is super bulky and awkward to travel with.

And if your laptop is newer than mine, it probably won't have as many issues (mine's also been dropped on accident a few times and has gotten partially warped). I'm actually impressed with how well my laptop handles the game, especially when the cooling pad is running. I can do most things on the second highest graphics setting levels; I usually only have issues during MSR's, but if I don't run anything on my second monitor, then I can usually leave my graphics up (and turn off screen shake of course).

(Sorry, I have a tendency to overexplain things. >_<)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, momentarygrace said:

Good to know, thanks!

I've had good results with those cheap to medium-quality all-metal risers/stands - they allow better airflow, don't vibrate as much, and inherently act as a large heat sink...

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, biostem said:

I've had good results with those cheap to medium-quality all-metal risers/stands - they allow better airflow, don't vibrate as much, and inherently act as a large heat sink...

Hence the one I suggested.  The entire top is a metal grate.

• Thumbs Up 1

ok, so i want to get my son a laptop, and mainly it is because i want him to be able to play CoH with me. he travels for work and we don't live in the same state anymore anyway. but i really can't afford much. is there a suggestion for a very inexpensive laptop that is good for travel? he would also want to be able to do art on it, like drawing i guess, so he would have to be able to run programs like photoshop ish i think.

2 hours ago, littlegems said:

ok, so i want to get my son a laptop, and mainly it is because i want him to be able to play CoH with me. he travels for work and we don't live in the same state anymore anyway. but i really can't afford much. is there a suggestion for a very inexpensive laptop that is good for travel? he would also want to be able to do art on it, like drawing i guess, so he would have to be able to run programs like photoshop ish i think.

I got the below used laptop for $50 +s/h.  It's far from flashy, but it'll play CoH just fine if you use the -usetexenvcombine startup parameter.  If you can afford about $20 more, you could get an i5 w/ 8GB of RAM.  You have to install your own OS, and you'll want to stick to reputable sellers, but those will get you up & running.  Also make sure they include the AC adapter and a SSD...

Laptop listing:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/225236795662

Update:  An i5 listing for reference:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/354352367209?hash=item52810c0669%3Ag%3A56kAAOSwrbRjLh5f&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoKWzpS%2BjZy%2BQPTA4YIabI4tYpDnWUSgojCCCF1jATY9ZfZCJTz5JyEGqqUJ9zSJrGELVpaK96sfFR%2FaQFE73RgaZE%2FWXVXq5POsUMOstZwfIBp4YnGknLuS4wN%2BDbIRNDVmCH5It8wqqVJYNGlyo2YqP4dDVbHKZ8qUhsIiggxUoO1tqO43RwQnRxVl3KtRtb2ml5UykJIcC4SBdXpXTsXA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5K7-_SPYQ&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=3|4

Edited by biostem

3 hours ago, biostem said:

I got the below used laptop for $50 +s/h.  It's far from flashy, but it'll play CoH just fine if you use the -usetexenvcombine startup parameter.  If you can afford about $20 more, you could get an i5 w/ 8GB of RAM.  You have to install your own OS, and you'll want to stick to reputable sellers, but those will get you up & running.  Also make sure they include the AC adapter and a SSD...

Laptop listing:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/225236795662

Update:  An i5 listing for reference:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/354352367209?hash=item52810c0669%3Ag%3A56kAAOSwrbRjLh5f&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoKWzpS%2BjZy%2BQPTA4YIabI4tYpDnWUSgojCCCF1jATY9ZfZCJTz5JyEGqqUJ9zSJrGELVpaK96sfFR%2FaQFE73RgaZE%2FWXVXq5POsUMOstZwfIBp4YnGknLuS4wN%2BDbIRNDVmCH5It8wqqVJYNGlyo2YqP4dDVbHKZ8qUhsIiggxUoO1tqO43RwQnRxVl3KtRtb2ml5UykJIcC4SBdXpXTsXA%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5K7-_SPYQ&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=3|4

Yeah.  I won't ever use EBay for used electronics ever again.

Got myself completely fucked over a laptop that turned out to be stolen.

7 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Yeah.  I won't ever use EBay for used electronics ever again.

Got myself completely fucked over a laptop that turned out to be stolen.

That is certainly your prerogative.  There are measures in place in case the seller is illegitimate, though.  Either way, that has not been my experience.  *** shrugs ***

5 hours ago, biostem said:

That is certainly your prerogative.  There are measures in place in case the seller is illegitimate, though.  Either way, that has not been my experience.  *** shrugs ***

Yeah.  I know about those measures.

Know what I got told?

"We just connect buyer and seller".