Well that was fun

DougGraves

2 hours ago, Lines said:

I'm all for brevity, but I can't help but feel like these threads of yours are losing their quality and discussive value, Doug.

I was putting my daughter to bed last night, told her I loved her, and realized that never everything has to be a discussion.  Some things just need to be said even though they are brief. 

Too often we get caught up in trying to be clever or look smart and we don't say the simplest, most important things.  Playing CoH is fun.  Everything else about the game is secondary.

• Like 4

I agree.  But, sometimes, some minimal context is useful, so that others to understand the inspiration for the sentiment.  When I read it, the first thing that came to mind was another player who loved the game, only just realized that CoH was back, after being gone for so long, and was telling us he was home at last.  Then I looked at your post count, and deduced that you were a player who has been around for a bit since the revival, and was still quite happy the game was back, and that it was there to play whenever the opportunity presented itself.  So, in that context, it was a statement of contentment, and satisfaction. 

So, while my thoughts on your post lack the brevity, and simplicity initially expressed, I feel like it could be a somewhat accurate interpretation.  In any case, I share your feelings on the game, and the contentment of knowing it is there when I can find the opportunity. 😀😎

Edited by Abraxus

What was no more, is REBORN!

I read this as: "Well that was fun, I was playing City of Heroes [but now the fun's over and I'm outta here]."

Some see the glass half full, others half empty.  I guess I'm a pessimist.

Edited by Rathulfr
  • Haha 1

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

7 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

I read this as: "Well that was fun, I was playing City of Heroes [but now the fun's over and I'm outta here]."

Some see the glass half full, others half empty.  I guess I'm a pessimist.

Well I did post it when I logged off and went to bed.  So you are right in that the fun was over.  But just for the night.

Which isn't terrible on Friday, knowing I have a weekend of playing to look forward too.  But is harder on a work night when I know I won't play for 16+ hours.

7 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Well I did post it when I logged off and went to bed.  So you are right in that the fun was over.  But just for the night.

Which isn't terrible on Friday, knowing I have a weekend of playing to look forward too.  But is harder on a work night when I know I won't play for 16+ hours.

That sounds about right.

2 hours ago, GM Widower said:

Hey, some really good memes have come from short, contextless posts. Carry on.

True.  But, the other side of that, is the possibility that some really bad ones can come from it as well. 😉

Leaving room for interpretation allows for both.

Edited by Abraxus

On 1/25/2020 at 8:09 AM, DougGraves said:

trying to be clever or look smart

Exhibit A.. I always liked this one. Link: How to be clever

Edited by Troo
  • Thanks 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 1/25/2020 at 2:12 PM, Abraxus said:

True.  But, the other side of that, is the possibility that some really bad ones can come from it as well. 😉

Leaving room for interpretation allows for both.

But bad meme's are the best!

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

Love: known.

Rules: known.

Thoughts: Full Commitment.

Other Rikti: Non-responsive.

Feelings: Communication desired.

Your understanding: required.

Give you up: Never.

Let you down: Never.

Run around and desert you: Never.

Make you cry: Never.

Say goodbye: Never.

Tell a lie and hurt you: Never.

You've been Rikti rolled!

Edited by Bionic_Flea
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Love: known.

Rules: known.

Thoughts: Full Commitment.

Other Rikti: Non-responsive.

Feelings: Communication desired.

Your understanding: required.

Give you up: Never.

Let you down: Never.

Run around and desert you: Never.

Make you cry: Never.

Say goodbye: Never.

Tell a lie and hurt you: Never.

You've been Rikti rolled!

Judging from others reactions this is supposed to be funny.  I don't see the humor in it.  It is just some oddly formatted text saying never a lot.

Maybe I'm not evolved enough to understand the humor.  But frankly I'm just lost.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Judging from others reactions this is supposed to be funny.  I don't see the humor in it.  It is just some oddly formatted text saying never a lot.

Maybe I'm not evolved enough to understand the humor.  But frankly I'm just lost.

Please YouTube Rick Astley, "never gonna give you up" and proceed to Rick Roll yourself. Shortly thereafter, proceed to appreciate pun. Highly recommended.

8 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

Nice reply. Clever. 🙂

Hopefully weaving the connection to the lost and rikti was intentional and not me reading too much into it but I smiled when I saw that and seemed too well crafted.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, yoshidon said:

Nice reply. Clever. 🙂

Hopefully weaving the connection to the lost and rikti was intentional and not me reading too much into it but I smiled when I saw that and seemed too well crafted.

Until you mentioned this, I was all set to explain the joke. It still wasn't a funny joke. But then again rick rolling was never funny to begin with.