Adjust Overbearingly Loud Souds

Some of the sounds in game are disturbingly loud.

Like the base inspiration bins and the portals in Portal Corp being a couple of the worst offenders.

There may even be some sounds a bit too quiet but cant think of any off the top of my head, probably because I cant hear them to begin with.

Edited by Rooster Gold
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I run with my in-game sounds at 3% and music at 2% and both will still overwhelm all but loudest parts of music playing at full volume on iTunes or YouTube.

There’s very little gradation you can do when you’re down at that level. Going to 2% or 4% is a 33% reduction or increase.

I’d be for a global 50% nerf in sound volume (then I could tune it all the way up to 6%).

• Like 2

Something is definitely up with the volume. I also run at like 5% on my volume sliders and it still sounds really loud at times. On top of that, it seems when the same sound is fired at the same time, it amps the volume I guess because it's playing them all overlapped? Good example is when a MM zones in with buffed pets -- the reapplication of the buffs to all the pets is ear-shattering.

"We're out of options, I'll have to use the jetpack," I said, strapping on the jetpack and ignoring the many non-jetpack options still left.

Having trouble deciding your next alt? Just need a cool name? Try out City Suggests

Looking for powers data? Try the Powers API

1 hour ago, Rooster Gold said:

Some of the sounds in game are disturbingly loud.

Like the base inspiration bins and the portals in Portal Corp being a couple of the worst offenders.

There may even be some sounds a bit too quiet but cant think of any off the top of my head, probably because I cant hear them to begin with.

Anytime you go talking about adjusting sounds in this game it starts world war 3. Especially since there is a way for you to adjust and change any sound you wish in game to be anything you want.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:30 PM, Solarverse said:

Anytime you go talking about adjusting sounds in this game it starts world war 3. Especially since there is a way for you to adjust and change any sound you wish in game to be anything you want.

WW3 Seems a bit hyperbolic.

Were talking about volumes, not changing the sounds themselves.

I feel that those of us with hangovers would be the most grateful.

23 hours ago, Solarverse said:

Then change it. Some of us like it.

look - I'm not saying that it shouldn't sound the way it does... but why is it like 30 decibels higher than all the other sounds in the game? It makes it impossible to have the other sounds in the game at a reasonable volume. Its either I turn down all the sounds so I can hardly hear anything and then Ball Lightning is at a reasonable volume, or I turn them ALL up to a normal volume and the occasional ball lightning makes my ears bleed. who the hell designed that? 

1 hour ago, The Philotic Knight said:

Here you go:

On 1/29/2020 at 6:29 PM, Bartacus said:

Electric blastings BALL LIGHTNING when it hits a big group. God! it's soooooooo loud!

I agree this sound is like 5000% louder than any other sound at times.  I like the sound itself but not ear bleeding when in-game is only at 3% volume. 

I went to the provided link but I don't see the Ball Lightning or Electrifying Fences powers listed.  Can anyone provide the info on how to get at those specific ones?

Tone down the snark Philo. 

1. im hearing impaired, this isnt about it being a bother.

2. i am unable to follow the instructions provided because as you can see the directions are faulty

3. Combing through the code to make changes i want is an option for any change now that the cox code is public this does not make it a valid option.

1339999983_NewBitmapImage.thumb.jpg.40767d8c4d61a51136cf0a3758e7e9db.jpg

my folders names are completely different than the instructions.

• Like 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

It looks like you need to just read a little bit more:

Open the "City of Heroes" folder and create a new folder called "data".

etc. etc. Nobody ever said it was an easy process to modify the client. It's not. But it's possible.

• Like 1
I'm out.

that isnt to modify a sound its to create a silent sound? i need to enhance the glowy sound cause i cant hear diddly squat lol

also wouldn't it be easier to just add a flash to the objective instead of asking every deaf person to wade through code?

Edited by Saiyajinzoningen

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

You can depigg the sound files, put them through a sound manipulation program like audacity, and then put the replacement file in the "right" place and the game will pick that file up and use it instead, as I've done here, to humorous effect:

• Thanks 1
I'm out.

I bolded, coloured and numbered (rather than bulleted) the relavent portion that seemed to have missed earlier.

Sounds.JPG.cab484aefe93a8cd7885ac9d63caf340.JPG

3 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

that isnt to modify a sound its to create a silent sound? i need to enhance the glowy sound cause i cant hear diddly squat lol

You don't have to silence anything, you can modify the existing sound or change it completely. The thing about glowies is that the distance in which they can be heard is set withing the code, all you can really do is alter the sound to be either louder so it's more noticeable when you are close by or change it to something that doesn't exist in the game. That's why mine cackle like hyenas.

I have attached the original Objective loop and one where I doubled the volume.

Objective_sfx.7z

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

2 hours ago, Bartacus said:

look - I'm not saying that it shouldn't sound the way it does... but why is it like 30 decibels higher than all the other sounds in the game? It makes it impossible to have the other sounds in the game at a reasonable volume. Its either I turn down all the sounds so I can hardly hear anything and then Ball Lightning is at a reasonable volume, or I turn them ALL up to a normal volume and the occasional ball lightning makes my ears bleed. who the hell designed that? 

I get that, however, where you ask who the hell designed that, I say whoever designed it was brilliant.

The problem is, is that when AoE's hit multiple targets, they get amplified to give that realistic feeling that your power hit more than just one target. It helps pull a player like myself into the game. Without it, the power would be lackluster. It's part of the immersion of the game, something many powers have already suffered, IE; Empathy Healing.

I and people like me love how that was done and how the powers get amplified, it was completely brilliant and in many ways, sets this game apart from others. It puts you in the game and submerges you in it with it's realistic sound effects and how they are applied.

However, because of threads like this one, Emp Healing and other power's sound effects have been nerfed to hell and back, and the nerf requests for the sound effects of powers in game never seem to stop; for an example, Khelds recently got a sound effect nerf...it's always something. It's never enough, and I for one am tired of sacrificing the things I love in game because some players don't like the sounds. So because some players don't like the sounds or how loud they are, the rest of us always ends up losing out.

We have lost enough in this game as far as I am concerned. And honestly, it's not that loud, I have been listening to all of these sounds since I was 28 years old. I am now 44 going on 45 and I still love all of these sounds. IMO if people are so sensitive to these sounds in game that go boom upon impact of multiple targets, then please, turn down your volumes. If you are playing your volumes at such a high threshold, then perhaps you have your speakers at way too high a volume.

This constant call for nerfs of different sounds in this game needs to stop, especially since the Devs can't seem to take sounds away without making it an option...not on live and not here. Every sound that has been changed or outright removed, is no longer an option for the rest of us who loved them. They are lost and chances are, lost forever. Please stop calling for nerfs to this game, it has been nerfed to the ground as is.

Edit: I minimized this and tested this on my Elec/Elec Blaster in game, turned down my volume and this was what I discovered. I can turn down my volume to where I can minimally hear the explosive Ball Lightening crash and I can still hear everything in game, even glowies. So honestly, I question how needed a nerf like this really is. I believe these gripes about sounds in game are over exaggerated.

18 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

wow thanks red, that helps a ton. ill try it right after lunch 

No problem.

Getting the original sfx/music ogg files is not impossible, but it is a pain. PK posted a link on how you can get to those.

Modifying is simpler, because you are basically tricking the game into looking into a substitute folder for the sfx/music, as long as the folder construction and file names are correct.

Any other needs, feel free to post a request down in my thread. 🙂

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, itsme said:

I agree this sound is like 5000% louder than any other sound at times.  I like the sound itself but not ear bleeding when in-game is only at 3% volume. 

I went to the provided link but I don't see the Ball Lightning or Electrifying Fences powers listed.  Can anyone provide the info on how to get at those specific ones?

I don't know what you are talking about... I see those sounds listed...

<.<

>.>

========

Electrifying Fences may not be that simple, a lot of powers borrow from other enteties, sometimes mobs, sometime entities or objects, so it may require digging.