Sound Mod: Putting the 'pew' back into character launch

Back when I originally played, once I had chosen my character and clicked 'Enter Paragon City' (or 'Next' or whatever it was to actually enter the game) there was a nice 'pew' sound effect, which can be heard around time stamp 5:20 in this YouTube video when he clicks 'Yes' to enter the tutorial. That sound has sadly now been replaced with a somewhat generic 'click' sound. I rummaged through the pigg files this weekend, found the original sound, and made a quick mod to bring back that original 'pew' sound.

Game modifications, be they modified maps, sounds, menus, etc., need to go in a folder called 'data' in the top directory of your CoH install folder. Each type of mod has its own sub-folders within the 'data' folder. The sound file is in the attached zip, pre-populated within the appropriate directory structure. Open the zip and copy the 'data' folder from the zip file directly into the top level of your CoH directory. If you already have a 'data' folder there, the new data should merge into the existing structure, although you may be prompted to merge or overwrite files with the new data. If that is the case, you may want to make a backup just to be safe. Otherwise, that's all it takes to restore a little bit of nostalgia to the game.

char_launch_sound.zip

Edited by AboveTheChemist
simplified instructions per WanderingAries' post
  • Thanks 3

Actually, all you have to do is drop the data folder into the Tequila folder's root and call it a day (give or take "do you want to merge/overwrite?" prompts).

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

18 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Actually, all you have to do is drop the data folder into the Tequila folder's root and call it a day (give or take "do you want to merge/overwrite?" prompts).

Thanks! I knew that might be an option but don't have much experience merging folders and wasn't quite sure how to explain it. I normally don't merge out of a (perhaps irrational) fear of something messing up.

Edit: I did a little testing on folder merges and have a better feel for them now. I updated the instructions in the OP to simplify them based on this easier method of copy/merge.

• 2 months later
  • 7 months later

One of the many great changes on the horizon with the release of Issue 27, Page 1 is that the sound file included with this mod will become the standard character launch sound (again!). So, unless something changes between now and then, this mod will become obsolete when that patch goes live.

2 hours ago, AboveTheChemist said:

One of the many great changes on the horizon with the release of Issue 27, Page 1 is that the sound file included with this mod will become the standard character launch sound. So, unless something changes between now and then, this mod will become obsolete when that patch goes live.

I got one like that as well where I brought back the original Thrust and Hit sound effect back to Energy Transfer. They corrected the Thrust part of Quick ET, but the hit effect is still the same. So I am going to have to remove the Thrust SFX from the Quick ET (since that was fixed) and keep the original ET Hit effect. I have added an addition to your mod as well, the original Sounds for when you click enter or select a character. If they ever put that back in to place that will make the mod obsolete as well. However, I am not complaining about that.

As you can hear below, I have your mod running and the one that I added to complement it.