Capes / Auras

andys71

Okay, what about this: we keep everything unlocked that's unlocked now, and we add two new costume unlocks at 20 and 30 to replace the old capes and auras. At level 20, unlock the ability to have a second chest detail. This second detail can only be an emblem, and only when the first chest detail is NOT an emblem. This would let you have a symbol on your costume below a bandolier or ring strap or what-have-you. At 30, unlock the ability to have a second aura. That seems like something that might be within the abilities of the Homecoming team.

I'm sure many an RP'er could give you several ideas on how auras are not necessarily power related.

Magical creatures don't necessarily "grow into" their auras.  I have a Leprechaun who would be incomplete without his rainbow.  I've seen "headless" characters... which I believe is accomplished by using auras.  Aliens with sparkly skin... or is that vampires?... 

My point is that auras are just as much a part of costume and character creation as the boots or belts.

And again... this is NOT a commercial environment.  There is simply no NEED to gate these kinds of things. 

IF YOU WANT to have a costume/aura progression for your character, YOU CAN do it with the multiple costume slots each character gets. 

But there is absolutely no need to hogtie everyone else to your preconceived notions on how a character should or should not be attired, presented, or played.

I did the missions at lv 20 for som many toons so many years ago. Why should I have to do it again now? Nah. I'm glad it's open.

"Who am I? You sure you want to know? The story of my life is not for the faint of heart. If somebody said it was a happy little tale... if somebody told you I was just your average ordinary guy, not a care in the world... somebody lied."​

You know what would be a really cool option?

If there were a setting at character creation that allowed you to have the costume pieces that used to be locked behind missions and badges re-locked for that character.

Now, I know what you're thinking, a player can just choose to not use those pieces. You're right, they can. But here's the thing, that adds the tedium of needing to keep track of everything that used to be locked, and remembering the situation that unlocked it... and it kind of hurts the sense of accomplishment of going "I finally unlocked Romulus' shield."

It would allow those who want everything open from the get go to keep their fun.

It would allow those who feel that unlocking things made it more special to keep their fun.

It would also allow those in the middle the option to say "I want this character to be a true zero to hero, rise to power story with all that comes with it." and have them actually earn their cape and such.

Yes, I realize this would probably a lot of work, and is not the best use of our devs time. Just something I think would be super cool as an option.

Barring this option, I am 100% on the side of "keep it all unlocked." >.>

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

It would allow those who want everything open from the get go to keep their fun.

It would allow those who feel that unlocking things made it more special to keep their fun.

It would also allow those in the middle the option to say "I want this character to be a true zero to hero, rise to power story with all that comes with it." and have them actually earn their cape and such.

Problem is the people who often want to have to earn it also want other people to have to earn it. Because what other people do makes them feel less special apparently.

Okay, what about this: we keep everything unlocked that's unlocked now, and we add two new costume unlocks at 20 and 30 to replace the old capes and auras. At level 20, unlock the ability to have a second chest detail. This second detail can only be an emblem, and only when the first chest detail is NOT an emblem. This would let you have a symbol on your costume below a bandolier or ring strap or what-have-you. At 30, unlock the ability to have a second aura. That seems like something that might be within the abilities of the Homecoming team.

Um, OK, but, why?

Just for people to have something to show off to the 'lessers'?

I just do not understand why people have to have something 'written in code' here.

If they want to add things as their character progresses, they can do that.

What is the point of restricting things in code like this other than to give people access to an e-peen variable?

Why do people have this need to show others they are 'better' and 'been through more' content?

Because some people by nature are competitive. Why does  PvP exist? ePeen. I personally don't care about competition, that's not what I want in my life. That's why while I say "lolPvP", I never say ONE WORD against anything related to PvP. Because it's not my playstyle, and as long as it doesn't mess with my beloved PvE, I won't say JACK about it.

If people want badges or accolades or titles or capes or auras or l337 l007 for their "toons" that's "exclusive" because they earned them? Go nuts, I say, make it an option, as long as they don't take anything away that I already have access to, I see no issue with putting some new stuff behind some sort of velvet rope.

I'm out.

Um, OK, but, why?

I just do not understand why people have to have something 'written in code' here.

What is the point of restricting things in code like this other than to give people access to an e-peen variable?

Why do people have this need to show others they are 'better' and 'been through more' content?

Because unlocking things gives you a sense of progression. When you have to earn things they're more meaningful to you once you have them.

Um, OK, but, why?

Because unlocking things gives you a sense of progression. When you have to earn things they're more meaningful to you once you have them.

On live, I stopped bothering with the cape mission unless I needed a cape for concept, and if I needed a cape for concept I would sit down and reevaluate whether or not I wanted to build a character who would not be "complete" until level 20 when I had to go run the stupid Cape mission AGAIN. When they removed the cape restrictions, it opened things up for me.

If I wanted to build a character who was basically Superman, I could. I didn't have to have an incomplete costume for the first 20 levels. If I wanted to make a character whos hands dripped blood in combat, I could.

And here, with things like the Vanguard weapons being unlocked, if I want to make a character who fights with energy claws.. I don't have to have 'normal' claws until I get to 35 and can go farm my arse off for Vanguard merits to unlock the claws. (Which I did on live, I had a Claws/Fire brute whos claws were meant to be more akin to Psylock's psi blade).

Aside from maybe the first time, unlocking these things never gave me a sense of accomplishment. They just gave me a sense of irritation at having an integral part of my character's look/concept locked behind some stupid gateway.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

The capes weren't even in the game at all at launch. It was, as some have pointed out, due to the hardware limitations of everyone having a cape. When they finally got around to adding them they still wanted to minimize the amount of people who could have them all at once so they came up with the level 20 lock with the backstory that explained it.

My game hasn't downloaded yet but I'm happy to know that's no longer the case.

...the first time. In a game that massively encourages altitis, it goes from being meaningful to tedium around the 10th time.

Um, OK, but, why?

You know what is the best only only sense of progression?  Levels, and the powers they bring.  Cosmetic changes that have to be earned are an irritant.  You want to feel like you accomplished something?  Deny yourself, then run the cape mission at level 20 and aura mission at level 30.  They're still there.  And you can feel a sense of accomplishment for completing them.  If I have to earn capes again, I would lose interest in the game and respect for the homecoming team.

I don't. Level locks and such only make sense in a for profit game as an incentive to time sink to obtain that thing. We're not doing the commercial thing here. It does not matter how much or how little you play from a bottom line perspective. Might as well, let the look players want from the beginning. There are plenty of other gates in the game without these.

This.

TL;DR: No. There's no logical reason to do so other than to give certain people a "warm and fuzzy" because "I've got this thing and you don't."

Go. Hunt. Badges.

All is vanity, and grasping for the wind. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble.

IG: @OriginalSpacey

I always liked earning capes and auras.  There was such a sense of accomplishment with it.  I guess the only modification I might make to it is once you unlock it on your account... it's unlocked account wide.

Still has the same feel to it.  This person has a cape, they've achieved level 20 on at least one toon.  He's cool.

At a certain point it almost didn't matter, if you had been playing long enough.  Veteran badges and other unlocks made having things like capes, wings, and auras, already having a version unlocked when you were creating the original character and not waiting on in-game events to access any of them.

Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

They called me crazy? They called me insane? THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Remember taking off wings and auras for hami raids? This game was much harder on my computer in 2012.

Put into practice that which cannot be thought

Badges: Victory: 1345 Homecoming: 1596
Discord: Blue Jay#2187

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

Yes. Everything everyone is doing is ... EVERYTHING. all RIGHT NOW. It's a very entitled...

You can walk away form the 'entitled' modern gaming community and jump righ ton the i24 server that exists and 'earn' everything the way you like.

All while looking down on those that prefer i25.

Enjoy!