Sonic Resonance fixes

WindDemon21

Sonic needs some help, but there isn't much you can really change without changing the whole set itself. What they need to do, first and foremost is make Liquefy on a two minute base recharge. So on high recharge builds you can just about perma it. Most other sets have really good powers that they can have up all the time, like chrono shift, farsight, overgrowth etc on top of heals. Especially for a tier 9 power, this should definitely be the case. It also goes against sonic, which can mainly easily avoid hasten, except for that power only, which NEEDS it to have it up any decent time even with full slotting and bonuses.

They also need to make Sonic Cage a single target hold, not intangible, it would make sense given it's use though to keep it at a mag 4 to get bosses right away. Sonic Dispersion should also have sleep protection since the set offers no defense to at least try to avoid those, And they should add -defense to sonic siphon so we can slot IO sets into it, and make it a small aoe at least as well.

• Like 1

<-- prefers the intangible Cage, though if it were a toggle I wouldn't argue.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

2 hours ago, Greycat said:

<-- prefers the intangible Cage, though if it were a toggle I wouldn't argue.

I also prefer having the untouchable/only affecting self cage. Wouldn't mind having a way to cancel the effect early though, whether that be through it becoming a toggle effect, or say another power that can deactivate it when targeting a caged enemy.

Edited by Blackfeather

The animation on Sonic Siphon could stand to be reduced as well, it's way too long for a single-target debuff.

• Like 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

28 minutes ago, macskull said:

The animation on Sonic Siphon could stand to be reduced as well, it's way too long for a single-target debuff.

Sonic Siphon should give 15% damage resistance to the user. Look at Siphon Power. Siphon Speed. Siphon Life. They actually SIPHON stuff!

This would help make the times a Sonic user tried to solo less unbearable. 

• Like 5

I agree about Sonic Siphon.

One thing that just makes me uncomfortable about powers in general is when they accept no IO sets at all. One, maybe two powers like this in the set might be okay. Sonic has 4 powers like this, and its not like Liqeufy or Sonic Repulsion accept amazing sets to make up for it.

With this in mind I'd be down with making Sonic Siphon a straight up T1 damage attack. At least then you'd never potentially lose DPA by casting it.

• Like 2

I wouldn't argue with a resist buff on that. Not sure how the "do damage" would go over (since in theory you should be doing more damage with your other attacks afterward,) but I'm not a numbers guy by any means. (And need to remake my sonics here, come to think of it.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

These are some buffs I have for Sonic Resonance in my Big Spreadsheet of Support Set Buffs:

1) Similar to Siphon Power, add an AoE +Resistance centered on the caster after a successful hit. I had 3%(D)/2.25%(CCM) since it was a a team buff, but I could see making it also give maybe an unenhanceable 10%(D)/7.5%(CCM) to the caster only, too.

2) Add Resistance(Regeneration Debuff, Defense Debuff) to Sonic Barrier, since these debuffs are associated with the damage types this power gives resistance too. If you're resisting some of the damage, realistically you should be resisting some of the effects.

3) Add Resistance(ToHit Debuff, Slow, RechargeSlow) and Mag 2 Knockback protection to Sonic Haven. Same reasoning as above.

4) Add a 12.5%(D)/10%(CC)/7.5%(M) ToHit debuff to Disruption Field. This way it can accept sets and actually does something to warrant it's expensive endurance cost.

5) To compensate for the -ToHit now in Disruption Field, reduce the -ToHit and -Defense in Liquefy to -31.25% for Defenders (down from 35.7%), Corruptor and Controller versions already currently do too little -ToHit and -Defense compared to Defenders (based on modifiers), so they can stay at their current value of -25%. I'd also consider removing the Hold, increasing the chance for Knockback up to a 5% chance (up from 3%), and lowering the recharge to 180s. Maybe 240s if 180s turned out to be too good.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison!
Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers | Telepathy | Symphonic Inspiration
Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

• 4 weeks later

There are some things that stand out as real bad about this set.

1. Sonic Resonance gets what is essentially Clear Mind as a t8 power. By the time you get it, most people will have already had an answer to mezzes in some form or another, and this is especially the case if Sonic Resonance isn't your primary. Given the rest of the set tends to focus on either +resist to allies or debuffage to enemies, I'd suggest either dropping this ability altogether from the set (perhaps for a shield that specifically enhances debuff/mez resistances), or moving it to earlier in the build.

2. Sonic Repulsion does not work in a synergistic fashion with the rest of the kit. You either want the enemy in your Liquify patch, or you want the enemy around your ally who has Sonic Dispersion on them. I think replacing Sonic Repulsion straight up with a tar patch like power (even if this means the set gets essentially two patch powers) would work better all round than having this weird ally-based KB power.

3. Liquify's recharge is just far too long. Mids seems to think it does -res (which it doesn't) which might justify that kind of recharge timer, but, as is, not really.

4. Personally I think the single target untouchable field for 30s is pretty useless in the game as the way it stands today outside of some very specific niche strategies. Turning it into a ST hold that applies a level of -res would be a vast improvement in my eyes.

5. The T1 takes horrendously long to animate. Bosses die in the time it takes before you can cast another ability.

• Like 4

@Twi - Phobia on Everlasting

• 5 weeks later
On 2/26/2020 at 8:53 AM, Trickshooter said:

These are some buffs I have for Sonic Resonance in my Big Spreadsheet of Support Set Buffs:

1) Similar to Siphon Power, add an AoE +Resistance centered on the caster after a successful hit. I had 3%(D)/2.25%(CCM) since it was a a team buff, but I could see making it also give maybe an unenhanceable 10%(D)/7.5%(CCM) to the caster only, too.

2) Add Resistance(Regeneration Debuff, Defense Debuff) to Sonic Barrier, since these debuffs are associated with the damage types this power gives resistance too. If you're resisting some of the damage, realistically you should be resisting some of the effects.

3) Add Resistance(ToHit Debuff, Slow, RechargeSlow) and Mag 2 Knockback protection to Sonic Haven. Same reasoning as above.

4) Add a 12.5%(D)/10%(CC)/7.5%(M) ToHit debuff to Disruption Field. This way it can accept sets and actually does something to warrant it's expensive endurance cost.

5) To compensate for the -ToHit now in Disruption Field, reduce the -ToHit and -Defense in Liquefy to -31.25% for Defenders (down from 35.7%), Corruptor and Controller versions already currently do too little -ToHit and -Defense compared to Defenders (based on modifiers), so they can stay at their current value of -25%. I'd also consider removing the Hold, increasing the chance for Knockback up to a 5% chance (up from 3%), and lowering the recharge to 180s. Maybe 240s if 180s turned out to be too good.

I really like these ideas! In addition, I think sonic resonance would be an interesting place for:

- a pet, like what's in elec affinity. Perhaps replace one of the toggle effects with a pet that has that toggle AND an aoe version of sonic siphon (or something else). Either this or allow the toggles to be cast on yourself.

- a pbaoe mez resistance buff to replace clarity. Again similar to elAff, but I think sonic should do it better.

• Thanks 1