System Requirements

So my old rig appears to be in the process of dying, and it is old, so I'm probably going to replace it. So what sort of system requirements do we need to run CoH comfortably, with good graphics?  My old computer - I thought - should have been able to, but the disk runs (ran?) noticeably, noisily hard while I play and may have worn itself out.

I believe this topic's been covered here before, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I believe these were the official requirements, updated for I18.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/The_Players%27_Guide_to_the_Cities/System_Requirements

I'd aim for at least "Ultra Mode" recommendations.

I would imagine even a modern budget gaming rig would run this game fairly well due to it's age. Although it was pretty resource intensive for its time. (for big parties etc)

For what it's worth, my aging rig runs it nearly flawlessly at maximum  settings

Intel i7 - 4790k

GeForce GTX 1060 (6gb)

24 GB System Ram

Windows 7 - 64 Bit

It's funny, because I think that about describes my old computer that a friend parted together (from scratch, new parts) shortly after the game shut down, specifically for gaming.  I dunno, maybe my memory is shot (like my disk - ha!) or it was just close to death anyway.  CoH played fine, but the disk was obviously struggling.

Thanks so much for that info!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

If you're building a rig (or even just buying one), I think you'll be hard pressed to find one that can't run CoH. Unless maybe it doesn't have a graphics card. Anything made with in the last 4 years (in case you're aiming to be low cost) would still be miles ahead of CoH's requirements.

Mine is a little over 5 years old and I'm running an i7, an nVidia 960, with 8 GB of ram and a solid state drive. CoH Looks beautiful on it.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

Maybe you just need a new hard drive for your old rig? If you get a solid state drive, they are fast and quiet.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

From 2004 till sunset I played on live with an HP desktop (200 Gig HD)-WinXP-Nvidia AGP card. I couldn't run the ultra mode, but the game ran well. Big teams brought my game play to a slideshow, so I mostly soloed.

I now have a gaming rig (Asus RoG-1 T HD-Nvidia GTX 750 card) and can run in Ultra and team with no lag. I can't believe how beautiful the game is!

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

Let me put it this way, THIS system can run the game (IDK how Well, but it runs). It sat idle at 25FPS!!

10" NextBook

Intel Atom Proc

1Gb RAM

32Gb Flash storage (For OS only) + 64Gb Micro-SDXC (Apps/Data)

Win10 x86 (Came with Win8)

Sure, I got warnings about old drivers and the KB on this device loses connection anytime I move, but hey, it's functional! I turned the GFX settings to baseline, sat idle in The Hollows, and even with players wizzing by I was stable at 25FPS. I'd expect this device to drop to around 10FPS if I actually played.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I'd look for anything modern with a discrete graphics card and it should run COH just fine on near max settings.  Yes, Ultra Mode was pretty poorly optimized and way too hard on graphics cards but that was close to 10 years ago now.  Any gaming computer should work just fine so plan your budget accordingly.  If it runs modern games nicely it'll run COH at max settings.  Frankly if you play any modern games then base your decision on what you need for them, if it plays a modern game it'll kill this one.

My setup was last updated a couple years ago and with an Nvidia GTX 960, admittedly at the time a fairly high end card, my framerates have never dipped below 58fps at 1920x1080.  (I run Vsync so it's capped at 60fps)

My old system from shutdown wasn't half as powerful and I still had framerates in the 40-60 range most of the time.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

You don't even REMOTELY need a discrete video card, even for a lot of other newer games.

Intel low-end on-CPU GPU's (610) are on par with a GeForce 8800, their higher end Iris 655 is actually quite decent, on par with a 500 or 600 series GeForce.

If you just want a usable PC on the cheap and in a relative hurry? 100% serious, if the price is in your budget get an Intel 8th generation NUC w/ the Iris 655 graphics and Windows pre-installed. It will be trouble-free and plenty of horsepower for City of Heroes and even a lot of other games.

I've been reading about problems with Open GL and Older games on Intel graphics. Use NV/AMD is prob best, if you can.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

I've been reading about problems with Open GL and Older games on Intel graphics. Use NV/AMD is prob best, if you can.

My 3Dfx Voodoo3 works great!

Seriously, it’s a 15 year old game, anything modern will work fine.

My 3Dfx Voodoo3 works great!

Y...you need to give that back...that's like...almost childhood level memories there. :p

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)